PDA

View Full Version : Playin Out on CD's??

DJ Asylum
05-10-2005, 10:34 PM
When playing out in a club enviroment, what is the best format for your cd's to be in, Audio cd or mp3 etc?

And if in the mp3 format what is the minimum kbps?

Me no know :eh:

piginabush
05-10-2005, 10:35 PM
wav ;)

DJ Asylum
05-10-2005, 10:41 PM
ahhhhh never thought of that :doh: ...Cheers ;)

Barely Human
06-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Will the cd decks your using play wav's? I doubt it. Probably best off with audio Cd's mate....

Louis Theroux
06-10-2005, 09:15 AM
if the file is already an mp3 I dont think changing it back to wav will make any difference. 192kbs should probably be the minimum however it also depends on how well the track was recorded onto mp3 (ie recording levels etc) but you can usually tell yourself if it is good quality or not.

TechMouse
06-10-2005, 12:15 PM
Audio CD is wav.... just 16-bit 44.1kHz WAV.

alsynthe
06-10-2005, 12:34 PM

it isnt actually techmouse, it has a strange named format like cda or something

RDR
06-10-2005, 01:24 PM
CDA is a slightly different format, cda files are representations of CD audio tracks and do not contain the actual pulse code modulation (PCM) information.

DJ Corbzy
06-10-2005, 01:41 PM
when u initially download or get sent the tune - u want it to be between 192 and 320 kbps...

anything less and it will just sound poo...

i think cdj1000's play mp3's don't they??

TechMouse
06-10-2005, 02:20 PM

Dodgy is right, CDA is like the index file.

It is actually stored as WAV - which (as Dodgy also says) is just PCM data.

cascade
06-10-2005, 10:34 PM
i think cdj1000's play mp3's don't they??
not yet but the mk3's should do, when pioneer eventually pop the cap on them.

and when you burn a wav to cd it then becomes CDA.
just to clear that up
(unless you make a data cd, has to an audio cd burn as others have said ;) )safe

TechMouse
07-10-2005, 11:18 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Book_(audio_CD_standard)

Red Book is the standard for audio CDs (Compact Disc Digital Audio system, or CDDA). It is named after one of a set of colour-bound books that contain the technical specifications for all CD and CD-ROM formats.

The physical parameters and properties of the CD are specified as well as the form of digital audio encoding (2-channel 16-bit PCM clocked at 44100 Hz), the optical "stylus" parameters, deviations and error rate, modulation system and error correction, and subcode channels and graphics.

The first edition of the Red Book was released in June 1980 by Philips and Sony; it was adopted by the Digital Audio Disc Committee and ratified as IEC 908. The standard is not freely available and must be licensed from Philips. At the time of writing, the cost as per the relevant Philips order form (document no. 28/10/04-3122 783 0027 2) is US$5000.

Recently, some major recording publishers have begun to sell CDs that violate the Red Book standard for the purposes of copy prevention, using systems like Copy control, or extra features such as DualDisc, which features a CD-layer and a DVD-layer. The CD-layer is much thinner, 0.9mm, than required by the Red Book, which stipulates 1.2mm. Philips and many other companies have warned them that including the Compact Disc Digital Audio logo on such non-conforming discs may constitute trademark infringement; either in anticipation or in response, the long-familiar logo is no longer to be seen on many recent CDs.

Hmmm... lets look again...

2-channel 16-bit PCM clocked at 44100 Hz

That would be Stereo 16-bit 44.1kHz PCM (errrr, i.e. WAV) then.

RDR
07-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Yes but doesnt the red shoes standard also state..

She caressed his smooth body with the tip of her tounge and he ran his love tool up and down her back before plunging it into her CD-ROM draw and bringing her to the final PCM 16bit orgasmic ending, her clitoris engorged with WAVtastic data.

See. I WAS ri...

OH.. red book, not red shoe... :doh: :oops:

MangaFish
11-10-2005, 09:39 PM
if the file is already an mp3 I dont think changing it back to wav will make any difference. 192kbs should probably be the minimum however it also depends on how well the track was recorded onto mp3 (ie recording levels etc) but you can usually tell yourself if it is good quality or not.

^ yeah that

MangaFish
11-10-2005, 09:40 PM

Dodgy is right, CDA is like the index file.

It is actually stored as WAV - which (as Dodgy also says) is just PCM data.

Not technically. WAV is a file format. Red book is another different file format. True both of them are just raw waveforms, but they're not encoded the same. Also WAV can be an bit-depth / rate etc you want. The default is usually CD quality, but you can change that easily any audio editor when you come to record or save your WAV file

MangaFish
11-10-2005, 09:47 PM
Any way, to summerise:

Its probably better to burn the files onto CD in the CD audio format rather than MP3 / WAV / WMA / etc. The sound quality wont be improved as once the damage is done to an MP3, its damaged for life. But atleast if its a CD audio, then you know it will work on any CD player (providing the CD-R's are of a good enough quality as there really are some nasty cheepo CD-R's out there)

278d7e64a374de26f==