PDA

View Full Version : Laptops?

A.P.
07-10-2005, 12:06 AM
Yo geezers,

i'm after buying a new pc laptop (music ready), does anyone know any places or website addresses?

Cheers

g
07-10-2005, 12:15 AM
IMO if you buy a PC from one of those ~specialized Music Computer vendors, you're wasting your money.

any good spec'd Centrino or AMD64 (or P4.. but for laptops the other are preferable) running XP that you've run through the tweaks @ musicxp.net is more than 'music ready'. even before the musicxp stuff it's music ready. get as much RAM as you can afford and a fast drive. done.

in which case the answer to your question is HP.com, Toshiba.com, Dell.com, etc etc.. If i were to have a PC i'd probably buy another AMD64-based HP.

A.P.
07-10-2005, 12:18 AM
Kewl mate ;)

alsynthe
07-10-2005, 12:43 AM
toshiba are good quality

findthesolution
07-10-2005, 06:41 AM
toshiba

RDR
07-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Get a MAC

The Overfiend
07-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Don't get a Dell
After all you want it to work. :lol:

acidsaturation
07-10-2005, 09:51 AM
Don't get a Dell
After all you want it to work. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jay Pace
07-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Get a MAC if you can, especially if you intend to buy software.

Closed systems are infinitely more reliable.

serox
07-10-2005, 03:53 PM
or buy a small PC that you can upgrade at anytime.

laptops get out of date very quickly.
you buy small dekstop PC cases that are only a small bit bigger than laptops.

A.P.
07-10-2005, 05:23 PM
I should of said, the laptop will be for playing live more than anything.
Any suggestions on sound cards will be of great help too

Cheers ;)

RDR
07-10-2005, 06:29 PM
the firewire 410 is good for a lot of people

use either firewore or usb2 NOT usb1...

Or do like de la does..

get an o1x!

g
07-10-2005, 07:11 PM
I should of said, the laptop will be for playing live more than anything.
Any suggestions on sound cards will be of great help too

Cheers ;)
my original answer was based on the fact that you _said_ PC
PCs can (with a lot of tlc) be totally reliable machines and if it's what you want, fine
but i personally would buy a mac. and if what you mainly want it for is playing live, i would *definitely* buy a mac.

sound cards: there's ninety gerbillion threads about this. but what do you want it to do? if you're playing live and you only need a stereo out, the built-in card on a mac is actually very capable. or you could go echo indigo (provided you have pcmcia). then there are several m-audio etc cards that are small I/O but very capable firewire cards. if you need a lot of I/O the motu traveller and 828 are great. top of the heap is probably RME.

curly
07-10-2005, 08:34 PM
don't get a packard bell easy note h5, had nothing but problems with mine, the audio glitches on all the sound cards I have tryed, with all differnt buffer sizes, just can't get it to work.

A.P.
10-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Nice one guys :clap: , anymore info?

holotropik
12-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Set up the lappy with SpeedswitchXp power management to control the C-States so that its locked in C-0. this will prevent the unit from dropping down CPU sections in favour of battery life which can cause issues with on demand processing requests.

I use an AMD64M and it rocks. Cant load it up enough.

Windows is shit and requires tweakage to get it right for on demand stuff in music. Prepare to become a computer nerd if yo want to get it cranking without doing yo head in.

Link: http://www.tweakheadz.com/troubleshooting_audio_cards.htm#5

Also good fo info ;)

Toshiba seem to have a good name - stay away from DELL and ACER.

A.P.
14-10-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the info matey ;)

Tyrisia
15-10-2005, 11:18 AM
don't get a packard bell easy note h5, had nothing but problems with mine, the audio glitches on all the sound cards I have tryed, with all differnt buffer sizes, just can't get it to work.

Funny, mine works great, but then again the first thing I did was formatted it to get all that crap packard bell tainted operating system off, and stuck XP Pro on it. Coupled with an Indigo cardbus soundcard, it runs audio fine.

curly
15-10-2005, 11:23 AM
I had the problems when i first got it, I have also reformatted the hard drive and still get the same problems. They are also sold as 3.2gig machines but will only run as 1.8Ghz machine due to cooling problems.

Tyrisia
15-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Mine's a 3gig, with 512mb, and me desktop's a 2.8gig with 1024mb, and the laptop will run a fully loaded sx file created on me desktop, with only one additional vsti frozen. Possibly a different model to your's tho, mine's a h5300d.

Granted it get's a bit hot at times, have you tried a higher wattage adaptor? Somebody suggested mine should be running a 135w psu rather than 120w. And does it get as hot on battery, coz i've just blown me psu a couple of days ago, and I'm interested to find out what caused it. They gave me another no arguments, so it may have been a recurring problem for them.

RDR
16-10-2005, 10:42 AM
I had the problems when i first got it, I have also reformatted the hard drive and still get the same problems. They are also sold as 3.2gig machines but will only run as 1.8Ghz machine due to cooling problems.

Time to speak to trading standards...

djshiva
16-10-2005, 01:05 PM
my first question would be what software are you running to play live?

if you are using ableton live, a quick glance at the ableton threads will tell you a pc (athlon or intel centrino) is your best bet.

i love the ease of use of macs, but since i use ableton, my athlon 64 does the job for me.

278d7e64a374de26f==