PDA

View Full Version : Equpiment reviews...

acidsaturation
07-10-2005, 10:04 AM
What do people reckon about having a sticky that's an equipment review thread - so we can post a bit about what we think of gear we own and any niggles/problems/things to be aware of, and so build up a database of opinion for people who might be looking to get new/sh kit...?

findthesolution
07-10-2005, 10:06 AM
thats a great idea, seeing as how that alesis midi controller i just bought and returned was an utter piece of sh!t!

FILTERZ
07-10-2005, 11:38 AM
lets have it , good idea

RDR
07-10-2005, 12:35 PM
O.k.

Starting with the UC16 midi controller from evolution.

A little USB powered device that has 16 knobs on the front that can be used to control any MIDI enabled program or device. I have found that it works best on reason, fruityloops and ableton. The dials are fully programmable and can be used in conjunction with evolutions on screen editor to program the device to control hardware synthesisers as well...

Those wanting faders might be interested in the Uc33 with has vertical faders and more and larger sized pots for control.

There is another variation on the Uc16, the Evolution X-Session. This is effectively a UC16 with a crossfader and larger dials. A totally excellent piece of kit for both people wishing to use ableton to DJ with and VJs.

Personal Experience: I have used this little beast many times over the last three years, it hasnt broken down on me, lost its settings or any other ungracious behavour. For the price i recommend it.

Other reviews in the pipeline: Zoom FX / Ensoniq DP4 / Novation K-Station / Yamaha O1X / Evolution MK249c

TechMouse
07-10-2005, 12:41 PM
My erstwhile producing partner Gazreth used to have one of these, but he ended up dropping it in favour of a Kenton Control Freak, on the grounds that the knobs / faders on the Kenton are more programmable.

i.e. you can set them to represent a range of values (e.g. 20 to 30), and to send SysEx... whereas I think the UC16 can only send a single MIDI controller from each knob, and only from 0 to 127.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong...

RDR
08-10-2005, 10:45 AM
My erstwhile producing partner Gazreth used to have one of these, but he ended up dropping it in favour of a Kenton Control Freak, on the grounds that the knobs / faders on the Kenton are more programmable.

i.e. you can set them to represent a range of values (e.g. 20 to 30), and to send SysEx... whereas I think the UC16 can only send a single MIDI controller from each knob, and only from 0 to 127.

Please do correct me if I'm wrong...

i wouldnt know TBH mark.. never used one, too expensive. Anyway ya miser, get reviewing..... :lol:

auditory hallucinations
10-10-2005, 12:42 PM
Well I picked this up only the other day for about £80…it was a bit of an impulse buy after reading a few good reviews on the web.

The unit looks pretty cool, and the build quality seems ok. It does vector synthesis, and there is a joystick to morph between the parameters on the front.

The actual sounds it makes are, IMO, pretty awesome. Lots and lots of presets which are mainly good, dark pads and synth strings. It doesn't have a filter but that's ok 'cos it sounds the damage when put through the Sherman.

Oh, and editing the patches on it really appeals to me, you get 4 sounds that make up a patch and dedicated buttons to turn each on and off…plus you got lfos, envelopes and all the usual stuff.

I just wanted it as a subsitute for using VST's for pads and stuff so there is a bit more presence there, and yeh it seems to do that well. So if you see one, pick it up!

4 outa 5.

FIK
10-10-2005, 06:06 PM
This is a great idea. I'd rather read the forum's review than some article in a magazine who get to review the stuff without having to pay for it.

RDR
10-10-2005, 06:25 PM
Get reviewing then!

278d7e64a374de26f==