PDA

View Full Version : Canada & Techno

new
09-10-2005, 07:52 PM
I know that there used to be quite a good deal of techno bookings in canada. I think they've slowed down recently though. Am I right? Or is stuff going on in other parts of the country that I'm unaware of?

SlavikSvensk
09-10-2005, 07:59 PM
there's some good nights in vancouver. been a few years since i've been out in toronto or montreal, but i still hear good things...

anx
09-10-2005, 09:07 PM
good things in vancouver?? i dont think so.....

do you know this first hand, or are you just saying that? because there is like, noooooooo techno scene out west except for a few underground crews.....if you want house, breaks, dnb or hardhouse, go there. if you want techno, go to montreal.

SlavikSvensk
09-10-2005, 09:25 PM
good things in vancouver?? i dont think so.....

do you know this first hand, or are you just saying that?

:lol:

i live in seattle. seattle=close to vancouver. proximity=personal experience. my personal experience=selective, admittedly, but good.

anx
10-10-2005, 12:21 AM
thats cool, i know alot of vancouver people and go there everyonce and a while. for the most part, my impression of vancouver is pretty dead for techno....yer the first one i've heard who has said anything good about their techno scene...

SlavikSvensk
10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
thats cool, i know alot of vancouver people and go there everyonce and a while. for the most part, my impression of vancouver is pretty dead for techno....yer the first one i've heard who has said anything good about their techno scene...

yeah but you get some big djs there from time to time. saw richie and derrick may there, and got to tell you, the crowd was better than when derrick played here...but like i said, my experience is selective... ;)

MARKEG
10-10-2005, 12:29 AM
well my 5 year ban officially is over as of 6 days ago and i have to say i'm really looking forward to going over there again (i've actually got a tour planned for feb 06 if anyone is interested nudge nudge wink wink plug plug hehehe).l i've been told it's really died down but i'm sure there's still small pockets of ppl into the sound.

so who are the big played for techno in canada right now? would love to know ;)

Patrick DSP
10-10-2005, 12:45 AM
lol

no comment.

i want to keep to this +-ive

SlavikSvensk
10-10-2005, 12:48 AM
lol

no comment.

:)

you are in toronto, eh? i used to go to industry from time to time like 10 years ago when i lived in detroit area...

Patrick DSP
10-10-2005, 01:01 AM
lol

no comment.

you are in toronto, eh? i used to go to industry from time to time like 10 years ago when i lived in detroit area...

yeah, it's gone all tech-house that thinks it's techno and moved into the lounges where everyone either pretents to be from detroit or a minimalist art snob that's too busy worrying about looking cool than actually dancing to dance music.

i hope that wasn't too much of a rant. :oops: ;)

SlavikSvensk
10-10-2005, 01:31 AM
that sounds an awful lot like seattle as well ;)

The Overfiend
10-10-2005, 02:32 AM
well my 5 year ban officially is over as of 6 days ago and i have to say i'm really looking forward to going over there again (i've actually got a tour planned for feb 06 if anyone is interested nudge nudge wink wink plug plug hehehe).l i've been told it's really died down but i'm sure there's still small pockets of ppl into the sound.

Are you hittin the states

ampassasinbirmingham
10-10-2005, 03:19 AM
y were u banned from going???

ampassasinbirmingham
10-10-2005, 03:23 AM
y were u banned from going???

SlavikSvensk
10-10-2005, 03:52 AM

Are you hittin the states

word...what's the tour schedule?

new
10-10-2005, 03:53 AM
if you want techno, go to montreal.

montreal has really slowed down recently. Aria (www.arianightclub.com) was the club that was super popular and booked a lot of techno acts. Awesome good. but now ....

http://www.aria-nightclub.com/flyers/FLYER_ARIA_JUILLET.jpg

a bunch of crappy house.

S/E
10-10-2005, 04:23 AM
Toronto's techno scene is pretty quiet. I don't know much about Montreal though. There really isn't much going on in terms of techno in Canada and crowds have been thinning for several years.

tekara
10-10-2005, 05:02 PM
for a person thats lived in all three cities (Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto), i can clearly say that the worst of all three for techno is Vancouver. Actually, Vancouver is just terrible for nightlife in GENERAL.

Toronto used to be very big in terms of techno during the days of Kenny Glasgow and Mario J, but even now i think no one really plays out in Toronto on a regular basis except for Greg Gow. Recently there was a very big party at the Guvernment with Richie Hawtin and Carl Cox. That will be the only time when you see big names coming through the city; when it is a overpriced massive, packed with ten thousand people. Overall, techno in toronto is relatively quiet on the whole, but promoters will successfully cash in on parties by bringing in superstar DJ's to large venued events.

Montreal has been lagging alot lately, but still has a healthier scene than Toronto or Vancouver in terms of techno (not sure about other kinds of music though).
The hype and consistency of techno in Montreal has waned through the recent years, but in general Montreal can arguably still be considered the techno capital of Canada. I think the only people who are still even doing anything these days are Misstress Barbara, Preach and Yaz/Miko and Mateo Murphy. Im not sure if many of these names even play in Montreal on a regular basis anymore, but im sure their contributions to the scene can be widely felt.

Anyone who wants to get booked in Canada and wants to play techno should try to get a gig in Montreal as it seems the French are a bit more open to techno....I havent been back to Aria/Stereo/Sona or any of the old clubs that people used to go to for techno, but im sure there are still many techno enthusiasts and appreciators in Montreal despite the recent downturn in the scene.

Hope my comments helped.

peace!

Patrick DSP
10-10-2005, 05:35 PM
for a person thats lived in all three cities (Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto), i can clearly say that the worst of all three for techno is Vancouver. Actually, Vancouver is just terrible for nightlife in GENERAL.

Toronto used to be very big in terms of techno during the days of Kenny Glasgow and Mario J, but even now i think no one really plays out in Toronto on a regular basis except for Greg Gow. Recently there was a very big party at the Guvernment with Richie Hawtin and Carl Cox. That will be the only time when you see big names coming through the city; when it is a overpriced massive, packed with ten thousand people. Overall, techno in toronto is relatively quiet on the whole, but promoters will successfully cash in on parties by bringing in superstar DJ's to large venued events.

Montreal has been lagging alot lately, but still has a healthier scene than Toronto or Vancouver in terms of techno (not sure about other kinds of music though).
The hype and consistency of techno in Montreal has waned through the recent years, but in general Montreal can arguably still be considered the techno capital of Canada. I think the only people who are still even doing anything these days are Misstress Barbara, Preach and Yaz/Miko and Mateo Murphy. Im not sure if many of these names even play in Montreal on a regular basis anymore, but im sure their contributions to the scene can be widely felt.

Anyone who wants to get booked in Canada and wants to play techno should try to get a gig in Montreal as it seems the French are a bit more open to techno....I havent been back to Aria/Stereo/Sona or any of the old clubs that people used to go to for techno, but im sure there are still many techno enthusiasts and appreciators in Montreal despite the recent downturn in the scene.

Hope my comments helped.

peace!

just to give you an update. in toronto, gow's been playing mostly house and tech-house based sets for the most part, same with kenny and mario these days just to get by. Preach and barb don't even live in canada anymore if that gives you an idea on the condition in canada. but i will agree the quebec is still the best place to party in all of canada.

new
10-10-2005, 06:41 PM
theres a guy in Quebec City named DJ ARD who plays techno and runs a nightclub, I dont doubt that he'd book international techno jocks if the oppertunity came his way.

I wonder if its lack of demand or just shitty booking agents?

Patrick DSP
10-10-2005, 07:14 PM
theres a guy in Quebec City named DJ ARD who plays techno and runs a nightclub, I dont doubt that he'd book international techno jocks if the oppertunity came his way.

I wonder if its lack of demand or just shitty booking agents?

ard's a cool guy, does the bookings at the cube in quebec city and does the big express parties out there. quebec city always rocks. lots touch with him though. got a contact? hopfully he's still doing the same thing.

tekara
10-10-2005, 11:47 PM
really? just curious....where do they both live now?

:!:

Hope my comments helped.

peace!

just to give you an update. in toronto, gow's been playing mostly house and tech-house based sets for the most part, same with kenny and mario these days just to get by. Preach and barb don't even live in canada anymore if that gives you an idea on the condition in canada. but i will agree the quebec is still the best place to party in all of canada.

koma
11-10-2005, 12:00 AM
really? just curious....where do they both live now?

preach is now in prague (cz)

Bacchus
11-10-2005, 05:52 AM
lol

no comment.

yeah, it's gone all tech-house that thinks it's techno and moved into the lounges where everyone either pretents to be from detroit or a minimalist art snob that's too busy worrying about looking cool than actually dancing to dance music.

i hope that wasn't too much of a rant. :oops: ;)

that's about it.

Chris Liberator @ System last weekend was thye biggest crowd i've seen @ a Toronto techno party since D.A.V.E was here in the spring. DSP is definately right with everybody playing tech house. Cool thing though, Greg Gow played a POUNDING hard techno set after Liberator last week. Sounds of sven wittekind @ Robert Natus. I enjoyed that set as much as Chris Liberator's set.

But to get back on topic. Things are hurting...there's hardly ever good or hard(er) techno in a club. You'll get a few locals every once in a while at a small event with 100-200 people, but even that's a good number nowdays.

But if you're for the clubby superstardom of the likes of ritchie hawtin, mauro picotto and Carl Cox, you can hear them a few times a year.

I REALLY look forward to the return of Mark EG. :clap:

Evil G
11-10-2005, 06:23 AM
in these parts techno never was played much at bigger events. they were always trance and house, and now that things are on the decline it's even more that way.

but techno is much loved in the underground scene here (in the west at least). the free/squat parties here are usually mostly acid techno and hard techno.

i played in vancouver recently and came away with a pretty positive feeling about the future. the main room was all live-pa, mostly techno, the venue was sold out (about 300 people), and the croud were really into it. it will probably be hard for canadian promoters to bring in many big expensive techno names for a while yet, but i really think there is a spark of life in the underground scene here that hasn't been extinguished yet, so there is hope.

DrewDavid
11-10-2005, 06:27 PM
I live in Vancouver...

The techno scene here isn't exactly huge, but there is a thriving community that works hard to keep it alive and (hopefully) growing. The fact is, there are much less people here compared to Montreal or Toronto, so there's less people to support a genre of music that strays enough from middle-of-the-road. So fair enough, we may not have an Aria or Guvernment packed with 5,000+ people every weekend – but neither do we have the multitudes of too-cool scenesters clogging up the dancefloor.

I don't feel that a techno scene has to resemble Detroit or Berlin or (insert big city name here) to be considered "healthy" if there's people that are willing to come out and listen to the people that are willing to play to them.

The New Forms music festival ended just over a week ago which brought some great live pa and dj acts to our city - Mathew Jonson, Noah Pred, Bonolake, Ben Neville, Tomas Jirku and others... Richie Hawtin will be here in about 2 weeks (who I've seen here 3 times before), and Chris Liberator managed to play a pumping set here last year.

It's not a perfect situation here, but some of us do what we can to keep the techno beats playing in Vancouver.

jace
12-10-2005, 03:59 AM

Thats sweet Mark! Its been way too long!!!

anx
13-10-2005, 01:45 AM

i thought you were playing here in december? did that change?

MARKEG
13-10-2005, 10:50 AM
yeah we thought feb was best. can't wait!!!

anx
13-10-2005, 06:22 PM
me either!!!

John Vella
17-10-2005, 10:05 AM
oh no this is gonna be ugly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Patrick DSP
17-10-2005, 01:14 PM
oh no this is gonna be ugly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

it's not very nice to call mark names johnny. tisk tisk.

MARKEG
17-10-2005, 02:02 PM
it's be more than ugly when i come banging on your studio door pat :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :crackup:

gunjack
20-10-2005, 07:33 PM
toronto is DEAD. i am sooooo outta here soon.

dan the acid man
20-10-2005, 07:44 PM
toronto is DEAD. i am sooooo outta here soon.

as in the techno scene is dead, or the city as a whole, as canada has always struck me as a nice place to live

SlavikSvensk
20-10-2005, 07:53 PM
it's a nice city, and used to have some killer parties, though i have to admit i haven't been there in almost a decade. sounds like that's not the case anymore. oh well...can't get much deader than seattle, technowise... (gotta get around to doing something about that one of these days)

new
20-10-2005, 10:55 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why, though.

is it cause noone throws good techno parties in toronto? or is it cause noone likes techno anymore out there? or is it cause it costs so danm much to get talent from europe to come play in toronto that it's not viable? I mean, if there used to be a techno scene, there must be a reason it dissapeared.

I wonder why?

Digital Kid
25-10-2005, 02:45 AM
I'm touring Canada & USA in January. Edmonton,Calgary,Toronto & San Jose. :)

anx
25-10-2005, 03:27 AM
I'm touring Canada & USA in January. Edmonton,Calgary,Toronto & San Jose. :)

who are you playing for in calgary?

dirty_bass
25-10-2005, 11:34 AM
I`ll be playing in Montreal this saturday.
Along with roland the bastard
lab4
indica
and a bunch of hard dance DJ`s

dan the acid man
25-10-2005, 11:48 AM
lab4
indica

its being broadcast on the web too, saw a flyer for it the other day somewhere, i better find it so i can have a listen

dirty_bass
25-10-2005, 11:49 AM
It`ll be broadcast if we can sort it.
Not sure if lab 4 will be up for it, and I`ll be phoning rowland today to see if he is, but hopefully yeah, should be broadcasting.

dan the acid man
25-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Not sure if lab 4 will be up for it, and I`ll be phoning rowland today to see if he is, but hopefully yeah, should be broadcasting.

cool, im not fussed about lab 4 anyway :lol:

dirty_bass
25-10-2005, 12:20 PM

cool, im not fussed about lab 4 anyway :lol:

I refrain to comment
;) :lol:

xfive
25-10-2005, 01:18 PM
Oh come on... pssshhhhaw
I can't wait to see the "Satanic Hard Trance" by Lou Cypher Project...

:dance:

dirty_bass
25-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Oh come on... pssshhhhaw
I can't wait to see the "Satanic Hard Trance" by Lou Cypher Project...

:dance:

Well, I`ll hold you to that, I wanna see you with your dummy and your fluffy boots, `avin` it with me right at the front of the dancefloor. I`ll even bring some glow sticks and the satanic bible.

anx
25-10-2005, 03:37 PM
lab4
indica

i'll be there! looking forward to hearing you and seeing rowland again! my first time in montreal too....

278d7e64a374de26f==