PDA

View Full Version : How did...

miasma man
15-07-2003, 10:16 PM
you get into Techno, Trance, Hardstyle, the dance music scene?

We all have a little story, go on tell me yours.

I've gotta go but if this thread generates any interest maybe I'll tell you mine?

:wink:

lunatrick
15-07-2003, 11:08 PM
I went to a festival called the 'treeworgy tree fair' in Cornwall in 1989 (I was a crustie hippie squatting in london at the time), and stumbled into a field full of ravers, with an articulated lorry with the sides dropped down . There was a dj playing and a female mc rapping (possibly mc kinky?) , and in my shroomed up state I just started dancing.....I should have known something strange was happening, because when I woke that morning the old PO van I was staying in was surrounded by golfs and bmw's. i though hmmm there's something going on here! :lol:

ampassasinbirmingham
16-07-2003, 12:02 AM
i went through a bit of an indie fase as my friends liked it. i liked it but knew there was something missing. Ive always liked dance music as my two brothers would constantly play house music.

i would listen to accesable dance music such as faithless and daft punk. then i started clubbing. i would go to the q club and nights like flashback and slammin vinyl. (i saw mr eg playing at flashback and i thought he was a raving lunatic, so i looked him up on the net and found this site,minus the forum, only to find id be back here, future on in time when i discover techno.)

all of my friends told me about this night they had been going to called atomic jam. i went a few and stated liking it more and more. I was still more into oldskool hardcore at the time tho.

then suddenly at one AJ, my third i think, i thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. everything meant something and it just felt right. I no longer had to search for music that made me feel right.

then i went eager blah de blah de blah, and now im the techno freak that graces this forum 20 times a day :shock:

Sunil
16-07-2003, 03:10 AM
you get into Techno, Trance, Hardstyle, the dance music scene?

We all have a little story, go on tell me yours.

I've gotta go but if this thread generates any interest maybe I'll tell you mine?

:wink:

The first techno i started buying was stuff like Thunderdome, Dyewitness, all the really fast stuff. DJs like Gizmo, Clarkee, Lenny Dee and all the hard German heads. One UK DJ whose mix tapes I loved was Easygroove, Carl Cox as well. Listened to trance like Bonzai, Eye Q, Frankfurt Beat, Transglobal Underground, Platipus and later labels like Plastic City. Always liked the Mills minimal style and began to pick up on that, then came Beyer and Lekebusch followed by a whole host of others, not forgetting Beltram as well. Liked Hardfloor and the acid techno sound, Labworks, Cologne, Rob Acid, Freddie Fresh, Missile etc. The London acid techno sucked me right in too, Cluster was one of my favourite labels for a long time too.

Man when I think of it there's been loads and that's not mentioning a lot of the rave that I started listening to originally. Loads of mates got into just because of drugs, they now have no interest in it at all, sure it's cool to get sentimental or go back in time but me I look back in fondness, happy that I'm more into it now than I've ever been...

Orange
16-07-2003, 03:14 AM
In 1994, while living in England, working at Butlin's, a sweet girl offered me a bootleg tape of a Fantazia rave. On the tape, one MC (don't know who) and the DJ, Carl Cox, spinning some mad sounds I had never had heard before. I must have played that tape 3-4 a day, every day for the entire summer.
Then at the end of the summer, word started to spread that there was going to be an Club 18-30's reunion weekend-party at Butlin's and one of the DJ's to play would be Carl Cox. I stayed on in anticipation of hearing and seeing Cox for real. On the night, I discarded my uniform and went to hang out in the main room, waiting for CC. Don't know who was DJing before him, but no mistaking Cox. Black as night, he climbed up to the decks, pulled vinyl from his box, cued the track and started the mix. The pumping bass vibrations that came out the spearkers lifted me off my feet, and cut through my body. I changed in that moment; my spirit elevated by a DJ and his sound. I entered the dance and have been forever grateful. And I still have the tape. :D

Jimfish
16-07-2003, 07:47 AM
when i was about 10 years old my dad would get me to help him do all the shitty jobs on his barn conversions he does from time to time.. i was cleaning bricks one day in this shed when i found a little box with a really crusty sasha tape in it. By the time i was 12 (92) i was sneaking off in london to go down the bottom of portobello rd market to buy jungle mix tapes by the likes of micky finn, grooverider etc. loved it! still do.. :D

and heres to all those metallica kids that used to try and beat me up cos i listened to jungle. And now you can find every single one of em down at your local rave! dicks

Jimfish
16-07-2003, 07:51 AM
hehe... one of them even filled me and my mates supersoakers up with piss during a hot summer. you can guess wot happened. still havent got the bitch back, but i can still get free pints out of him to this day!

Esox Lucius
16-07-2003, 09:48 AM
I got into acid techno & techno around 95/96 after listening to various tapes... mills, chris liberator, carl cox, dave clarke etc.... I was also bang into hardcore around that time too.

spiralx
16-07-2003, 11:28 AM
I was lucky enough to have a load of people seriously into their techno at my university - we used to have nights with nothing but hard and Detroit stuff every couple of months or so, and I got into it when I started doing pills. Heard some acid techno a couple of years later, loved the sound :)

Kman
16-07-2003, 11:54 AM
I was a drummer with a heavy metal band for about eight or so years. Usual shit, loved my beer, weed... Was playing at a club which had this 'techno boom boom boom crap' coming from another room. Incidentally I was given my first MDMA pill and was drawn to 'the light'. The band shit stopped when I got hooked up with the wife. I've been buying tech for ages and ages. Love this site, more so for the insight on what you guys get up to. Unfortunately I don't DJ, probably never will due to missing the boat, age! I enjoy my vice immensely though :)

JIMFISH: Nice work on your EP, umm forget the label...enjoyed it though. Have you more like that in the pipeline?

Col
16-07-2003, 11:59 AM
in 93 my younger brother (1 year younger) shown me a house tape he had got of a friend, i instantly loved it and was hooked, i listened to several other tapes and then in 95 i discovered happy hardcore (please no snide remarks) at around the same time i discovered gabba, but at the time i didnt enjoy so much. at 16 i handed an m-zone tape, instantly hard trance became my choice of music, i was then told there was another hard trance dj mark eg who was a complete fukin looney, i listened to the tape and he became my favourite dj.

i attended my first rave at the ripe old age of 17 travelling from leeds to milton keynes for hardcore heaven vs slammin vinyl, i dabbled in the techno arena, and spent most time in the happy hardcore, but soon after my love of happy hardcore quickly evaporated, i attended various raves after that, and at 18 i began to appreicate the finer sublties of techno, i also began dj'ing at this time playing techno & hard trance, and dabbled in music production i now only go to techno partys, but still hold a passion for hard trance, although my passion seems to be diminshing. im now 22. and i ****in love techno. i now have a software studio set-up at home & i 2 measley dj gigs under my belt. or and sorry for the autobiography!!! :D

The Divide
16-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Wooooaaaa, Almost the same as me!! hahahaha. It was my older half Brother (10yrs older) got me into some early what you call hardcore then, it was all the prodigy, altern, 8 starker humaniod stuff. Went to the helter skelter energy 97 outdoor event when i was 16. I was mainly into the technodrome side of things. Saw a purist set by mark eg that nite too. After I started getting a bit too old to be dancing to music at 200 bpm got more into techno Dj ribz and producer sets (and some mark eg and mzone hard trance sets) and going out about every other weekend. After about 3-4 years couldnt be arsed with going to the 12 hour milton keynes events (and it shut down) and only went to the Orbit in Morley and the I love techno festival in Belguim :D

BritishMurderBoy
16-07-2003, 01:43 PM
pretty much the same story as billy: i got into techno through raving rather than throught listening to the music.. we went to all sorts of raves at the q in brum but it was the atomic jam that really struck a nerve when i went the first time.. from then things just grew and my knowledge of the scene developed.. we started goin to H.o.g. and some of the lesser known nites brum had to offer..

im still learning and i will be for a very long time..

TripleX
16-07-2003, 03:31 PM
in 99 after i heard some chris liebing tapes

anx
16-07-2003, 03:37 PM
after hearing mark eg play...years ago. i remember going, what the hell kinda music is this?? "ITS HARD F U C K I N G TECHNO MATE!"

then realizing i liked the first half of mark's sets alot more than the last half...it was techno for me :)

herman
16-07-2003, 06:59 PM
this is going to make me sound really old but heard roger johnson playing nude photo - rythmn is rythmn on a mix on the old radio london back in 1987 had already been dabbling in the weirder end of house and just thought this is the stuff for me, still making it and playing it 16 years later :D

miasma man
03-08-2003, 05:30 PM
Hey up,

no way, didn't think this many results would be generated.

Yeh, I also got into techno thro raving/going out with mates from school/college, went to things like sterns raves to begin with then started going to clubs and a few free parties and stuff. I was hanging around with a load of guys who were into their jungle and I went out a few times but always seemed to end up in the techno/hard as nails arena while they were a-boogie-in to jungle. I then moved away for a few years to Huddersfield where I met loads of cool people and was introduced to techno properly by these guys. (yeah man ! ) I have vague memories of pirate radio stations as well which was quite fun. Primarily I suppose I did get into it all because of droogs which I am not proud of but in the process I was introduced to the music which I find really powerful and makes me seriously buzz! I mean I like all sorts but defo love techno, different moods = different music I spose ?

wenna
03-08-2003, 06:24 PM
i remember first getting into hardcore techno after meeting the producer in Homeboys,Swindon. (ages ago). he gave me a little lesson in scratcing and after that i was hooked on mixing!

it's very funny 'cause he was djing in the Brunel rooms that nite and all anyone can probably remember is a little 12 year old hooligan kicking and punching bouncers for refusing to let him in :oops:

Paul Nisbet
03-08-2003, 06:30 PM
Sharkey and mark smith got me into it, as at first i was into hardcore.... the trancey/techy stuff they done 3 or 4 years back.. Pioneering sounds for that scene imo...

when i started on the turntables, i was mostly into bonzai, cases, fog area and edm etc.. then im into loads o stuff now.

Adverse
03-08-2003, 07:16 PM
ninja tune (namely coldkrushcuts). then like 2 years later... i heard prruk29 bellowing from the hollows of an underground record store. i was in love.

miromiric.
03-08-2003, 11:13 PM
brother`s yard live PA opened me.
till that point i really hated techno and didnt understand it at all.
from then on i m mad about it.

MARKEG
03-08-2003, 11:23 PM
juan atkins got me into techno 1983/4. ie cyb/xray/model 500. what a bloody concept this guy had. i heard his original tracks on pirate radio and i couldn't believe what i was hearing. spaceships, futurism, crazy crazy crazy noises in my ears. it was like i was in the yr 3000. i suppose that was one advantage of living in manchester at the time.

even 20 yrs l8r, the future to me is the most important part of music.

djfase
03-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Trevor Rockcliffe. Quality DJ, Quality guy

278d7e64a374de26f==