PDA

View Full Version : Smacking Point!

DJ Corbzy
16-07-2003, 02:19 AM
When you get your 'smacking point' as I refer to it (when you change the tunes over and mix and the next tune comes in as such). How do you get the tune you are mixing in to be the more dominent tune ie.

Swapping Basslines
Swapping Gains
Using Filters
Eq'ing to an effect
Using Channels

What ways do you people find the most effective way to make the mix in tune come in with an effect?

I tend to switch bassline, then a bar later take the gain down on the tune you are mixing out of, then take the mid out of the mix out tune and then fade out slowly till you remove the track.

Your thoughts on this method, and your most regular method?

Chazbloke
16-07-2003, 09:07 AM
cut bass on track to come in, use cross-fader to chop in and out, then slam the track in, mess around with crossfader some more, maybe a bit of up/down fader action as well (does a more smooth cut then the crossfader) let it mix for a while, then start playing with bass, bringing one up and the taking the other down, let it all mix for a while longer, do some more crossfader and end with stop/spinback/slow down/end of track..
or just blend the tracks like wot u described..normally depends on how long the tracks are in actual mix for.
Chaz.

wenna
16-07-2003, 09:56 AM
spinback the tune 'in the open' and slam the crossfader acroos to the incoming tune with the channel and gains set to full and watch the speakers pop!!

spiralx
16-07-2003, 11:55 AM
Bring the next track in with bass cut and top end slightly reduced, piss around with it for a bit and then bring top end up and reduce top end on current track... then bring bass in and cut bass on the other track when I want them to actually swap over...

Barely Human
16-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Start a really smooth mix and then smash the decks with a sledgehammer. Works every time for me :D

WEZ
16-07-2003, 12:26 PM
IQ u insane !

Donations for IQ next lot of decks , his 15th pair !

Barely Human
16-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Hahaha, on a serious point now :D It deppend whether im doing set at a club, or recording in my bedroom. If its in my bedroom, i'll select tracks which go together well, and usually do a bass swap. But i also like finding points in tracks that go really good together, so your listening to one track thinking, this tracks is mint, and then suddenly, wham, is gone twice as hard and gone on a completely differnt vibe without disracting to far from the original track. If its at a club, then i just do what happens. I dont plan anything and just go wild. I couldnt really care to much about the mixing when i am playing out, as i will be running round the club, screaming my head off, using some sort of mad prop i brought in with me! I hate dj's who just stand there and mix! PPL have paid to see you, so i recon its best to give them a show!

Addict
16-07-2003, 01:50 PM
Before I mix a tune I listen in the headphones to see if it is in a key that will go with the tune that is playing. I try not to cut the bass entirely when bringing the tune in but have it at say the 8 o'clock point, depending on how long the mix is I bring one channel up and the other down slightly so that the tune I am mixing in is becoming more dominant but the bassline is not there yet, then at a point normally after a drum roll or whenever I feel like it really I wack the bass in! Then realise I havn't been listening to the headphones for 2 minutes, the tune train-tracks, I throw my headphones on the floor and stomp out the room leaving the two bastard tunes to fight over each other. :evil: Ignore the last part its not true I'm actually a proffesional

wenna
16-07-2003, 06:34 PM
when will you next be doing a b2b set with that serverely vicious cat?? last time his scratching capabilities were emmense!!

Addict
16-07-2003, 10:30 PM
What do you mean? I am the Cat.

Voorheez
17-07-2003, 06:27 PM
I hate dj's who just stand there and mix! PPL have paid to see you, so i recon its best to give them a show!

Nah, if your mixing and your set is good enough then you don't need to jump around like a monkey to get the crowd going.

Barely Human
17-07-2003, 09:10 PM
I hate dj's who just stand there and mix! PPL have paid to see you, so i recon its best to give them a show!

Nah, if your mixing and your set is good enough then you don't need to jump around like a monkey to get the crowd going.

But if you can give them both........ :wink:

DJ Corbzy
17-07-2003, 10:03 PM
I don't know how I will act when I'm not mixing, I think I will just explode with joy and have a mad one behind the decks! :D

Voorheez
20-07-2003, 01:50 PM
I couldnt really care to much about the mixing when i am playing out

:?:

Barely Human
20-07-2003, 03:58 PM
I couldnt really care to much about the mixing when i am playing out

:?:

Ok, you sort of miss quoted me there. What i mean is that the mixing is not the most important thing on my mind when i am playing out. You can do faultless mixes all the way through your set, but if the tracks you are playing are shit, who cares about the mixing. You cant plan a set when your playing out because your never gonna know what the croud will go for. Thats where being able to structure a set while it is happening comes in handy, and sometimes mixes will go wrong! Ive heard mark do some terrible mixes occasionally, but that doesnt matter becuase his selection was bang on and he was getting the croud going anyway.

Barely Human
20-07-2003, 03:59 PM

So i take it your one of them :wink:

TripleX
20-07-2003, 07:01 PM
What ways do you people find the most effective way to make the mix in tune come in with an effect?

watch the breaks of both tracks, make sure the are equal, then mix 1st bass on 1st bass, then just wait for a break on the record where the bass comes from, then just switch ´basses at the end of the break and you will have a nice kick :mrgreen:
i hope it´s understandable my english sucks when it comes to explaining stuff :oops:

djjaym
20-07-2003, 10:24 PM
**** all this technical talk its too much for my brain tonight,I just mix it ans enjoy myself

Paul Nisbet
27-07-2003, 11:43 AM
yeah... there is little too much detail payed too technical ability.

Altough the dj should be fairly competent on the decks.... u gotta member that

we are only human
u dont know the monitoring conditions in the club etc
and a million and one other reasons on how a mix can go wrong.

karl54
08-08-2003, 12:39 AM
wow.

i couldnt even begin to say how i do it.
i mix lots of differant ways.

i couldnt give a step by step, i just do it. it all makes sense in my brain when im doing it, but sitting here i could tell you a thing..

278d7e64a374de26f==