PDA

View Full Version : Quick Advise Please

EmotionComplex
16-07-2003, 03:41 AM
ok guys, my audigy has just died (kicks it about)

so i can finally upgrade my sound card.

so i have 3 soundcards that all look ad if they are what i neeed, this is were you come in.

Terratec DMX6FIRE http://www.digitalvillage.co.uk/dv/aproduct.asp?id3=3010

M Audio Audiophile 2496 http://www.digitalvillage.co.uk/dv/aproduct.asp?id3=1877

M Audio Delta 410 http://www.digitalvillage.co.uk/dv/aproduct.asp?id3=2651

whats best vaule/performance for the cash etc, if you own one even better, what are they like? reliable? sound quality?

i need to replace my soundcard pretty soon cos i have no sound at all now and im allready going crazy after one night :?

any advice is much appreciated :)

djTequila
16-07-2003, 10:16 AM
Yay! Finally you'll be getting REAL 24 bit sound!

:D

Looking at the specs, they're all doing slightly different things. The Terratec is an 'all things to all men' card that'll do well if you're not dedicating your machine to music, but want to do games, DVDs, etc. The breakout box looks handy, but I've had trouble with them (Soundblaster Live - the signal went past high-bandwidth data lines in the PC case, so picked up a lot of noise.)

The Audiophile I've always thought a bit limiting. It's got your MIDI, like the Terratec, but only one in and one out as far as I know. Quality is incredible for the price though, so I've heard. It's unbalanced like the Terratec though.

The M-Audio 4/10 looks good, but if you want MIDI and you'll be using any external gear without a mixer, it's not the best choice. If you have a hardware mixer you're laughing! Get this, and buy a separate MIDI interface. They should be very cheap. Or buy a dirt-cheap second sound card, and use it only for the MIDI port. Again, this card is unbalanced.

Look at the M-Audio Delta 4/4 as well. This gives 4 mono ins and 4 mono outs only, but they're balanced. And it's in your price range. Good for, for example, running a reverb unit, or a Kaoss pad or something as a send/return from Cubase or Logic. Leaving a pair of ins left for a synth. Or two mono synths. Or a DJ mixer. Whatever. Great if you have no hardware mixer...

Tell us what you want to do with the card, and your set-up, and how you want to expand it in future...

Tequila

DJZeMig_L
16-07-2003, 11:35 AM
Definatly Delta 410 .. the delta range is know for it's qulity, etc...

I would also check the new tascam US122 .. this should b a small sherman tank!!!

Z

Col
21-07-2003, 11:11 AM
Yay! Finally you'll be getting REAL 24 bit sound!

:D
The Audiophile I've always thought a bit limiting. It's got your MIDI, like the Terratec, but only one in and one out as far as I know. Quality is incredible for the price though, so I've heard. It's unbalanced like the Terratec though.

ive just bought an audiophile 24/96 soundcard it has 2 ins & 2 outs and a breakout cable, it has an incredible reputation, and is dedicated to music, its supposed to be extremley reliable & stable, and ive had no problems yet!

i was speaking to someone about this card and he got the latency down to 1 & 1/2 milliseconds....wow!!!

Tequila

Col
21-07-2003, 11:14 AM
sorry tequila, ive just added my comments on your qoute, shit thats plaigirism! please dont sue me! no the bottom 2 paragraphs are mine sorry :wink:

278d7e64a374de26f==