PDA

View Full Version : can't decide which controller to get

djshiva
13-10-2005, 06:53 AM
so i have been wanting a small keyboard to bang out bass and synthlines (cuz i hate drawing in notes in boxes...yawn). after having an m-audio oxygen 8 that's worked better as a doorstop than anything else, i was looking around and found this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PCR1Edirol/

anyone have any experience with this one?

also considering the m-audio trigger finger for drums n fun
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TriggerFing/
but i think i may just go with something to rock some basslines and leave m-audio alone since their tech support was really no freakin help at all on the oxygen 8 issue.

i have played with the trigger finger, but don't know a lot about ease of setup, driver issues, etc.

anyone who has dealt with either of these, lemme know your thoughts...

findthesolution
13-10-2005, 07:08 AM
I just ditched my radium 49 for an o2. I love the damn thing. plenty of controllers, half-action keys, and a super thin design make it great for laying down synth and basslines on the go. I take it with me to my local coffee shop along with my iBook when I want to get stuff done.[/i]

djshiva
13-10-2005, 07:26 AM
yeah the pcr1 has the half-action keys too, and is actually a bit cheaper than the page i posted here! i found some killlller deals, so i am looking to stay under 120.

really my decision is do i wanna play the keys to make the bass and synth lines, or do i wanna hammer on the mpc-type pads to make drumlines?

:)

really, with ableton i already use my puter keyboard to hammer out samples and drums, so the trigger finger can probably wait. i really wanna concentrate on better basslines, truth be told.

sounds like i am talking myself into a decision, doesn't it? :roll:

findthesolution
13-10-2005, 08:24 AM
haha yea it does sound like it. thats how i ended up with my o2.

id be careful with the edirol though. A friend of mine picked up one of their products once and had 2 keys take a sh!t on him about a month after the warranty expired.

Patrick DSP
13-10-2005, 08:43 AM
the soundcard on the edirol is ass. anything past 1/2 on the volume distortes like poo. i think you meant the midi version of that board...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PCRM1

i ditched the pcrm1 a few weeks after i got it, for the korg microkontrol. best of both worlds for me. easy to program, small keybaord, and 16 light up mpc style pressure sensitive pads.

djshiva
14-10-2005, 04:07 AM
hmmmph...the pcr1 is cheaper, but i don't want something that sounds like ass. perhaps i will go for the trigger finger for now, since i got a hell of a deal if i want it...

xfive
14-10-2005, 06:34 AM
My oxygen 8 works completely fine... so does my trigger finger..

Whats the problem ?

djshiva
14-10-2005, 10:52 PM
My oxygen 8 works completely fine... so does my trigger finger..

Whats the problem ?

if i knew, it would be working. windows has never been able to recognize the hardware. first nothing happened, then i got a popup that then told me it couldn't recognize it, then it went back to nothing happening. latest drivers and all that. i gave up. i got so sick of ****ing with it that i could barely stand to look at the damned thing anymore.

**** it. it was borrowed anyhow. so i want my own. i will NOT, however, be getting an oxygen 8. trigger finger seems to work ok for most of the people i know, but then again, most of them have macs, and i run a PC. we'll see, i guess...

xfive
14-10-2005, 11:33 PM
I use both with my pc and mac.. flawlessly :lol:

Maybe you have either a sketchy usb bus.. or a lemon oxy8..

djshiva
15-10-2005, 01:23 AM
i think it's a lemon. great doorstop tho! :roll:

g
15-10-2005, 06:38 AM
fwiw my oxy8 has never done anything except.. work.

djshiva
16-10-2005, 01:09 PM
i really think the keyboard is fried, honestly. i seem to have that problem lately. :eh: :neutral:

that said, i am not the only person who has had issues with m-audio products. still, part of me really wants to take the chance on the trigger finger.

xfive
16-10-2005, 08:18 PM
The build quality on the trigger finger is more solid than I first expected.

heavy beats
18-10-2005, 10:48 PM
get the titanium black edirol pcr m30 :love:

TechnoNRGKid
26-10-2005, 10:59 AM
I use both with my pc and mac.. flawlessly :lol:

Maybe you have either a sketchy usb bus.. or a lemon oxy8..

it might be a faulty usb chord.
I had the same problem and still do with my cellphone usb cable.
I've seen that problem a few times with different hardware connected to a usb cable.
"hardware unrecognized", "Unknown device" related.

djshiva
28-10-2005, 11:01 PM
i have tried multiple usb cables that work fine with everything else. i just think it's fizzucked...

278d7e64a374de26f==