PDA

View Full Version : Arrogant Faceless Techno Purists

Analog.1
13-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Do they still exist?

I was watched a film called 'modulations' and it showed a bit about Future Sound Of London and they could only conduct the interview through a webcam and they never attend parties, very amusing to watch. "F.S.O.L. are very anti social" - said Mix Master Morris.
That guy from the Black Dog, Ken Downie is another strange creature, again he would refuse any kind of media intrusion but sometimes would conduct the odd interview through the internet. lol

Jay Pace
13-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Do they still exist?

I was watched a film called 'modulations' and it showed a bit about Future Sound Of London and they could only conduct the interview through a webcam and they never attend parties, very amusing to watch. "F.S.O.L. are very anti social" - said Mix Master Morris.
That guy from the Black Dog, Ken Downie is another strange creature, again he would refuse any kind of media intrusion but sometimes would conduct the odd interview through the internet. lol

I wouldn't call that arrogaunt. Fair enough if you want your music to be successful, but don't want to be famous yourself.

Suppose we are just too used to superstar djs, producers and musicians in general.

Aphex is stupidly famous and venerated, but he hardly gives any interviews. Fair play to him.

V..
13-10-2005, 10:26 AM
FUSOL actually predated a lot of what is going on now
I mean, they played gigs via ISDN long before internet radio was really established.

*Nancy*
13-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Do they still exist?

I wouldn't call that arrogaunt. Fair enough if you want your music to be successful, but don't want to be famous yourself.

Suppose we are just too used to superstar djs, producers and musicians in general.

Aphex is stupidly famous and venerated, but he hardly gives any interviews. Fair play to him.

Same goes to Daft Punk !
In some cases I think you could call it arrogance comes in when the artist goes out of his way to push the point of not wanting to be seen?

eyeswithoutaface
13-10-2005, 10:42 AM
of course its not arrogance, in the terms of Daft Punk, at the height of their success they would get mobbed wherever they went club wise, in store appearences etc, human's by nature need time to thenselves in order to maintain a balance, to have time to think about whats going on at the time for you, its soley at the indiscretion of a person wether or not they want to do an interview, or do a photoshoot for a magazine, and Daft Punk are hardly faceless, they did the robot masks thing for a while, but everyone knows who they are, they've played numerous gigs and solo gigs, gigs with their manager Dj Falcon etc

overal there's nothing wrong with someone wanting to shun the limelight, some people want to be plastered everyone for people to see and try to shoot down usually, some dont. You go on every magazine you'l get slated, you dont go in any and you'l get slated anyway, some people cant win regardless

Jay Pace
13-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Nah, everyone has a right to privacy. If you don't want publicity and media intrusion then fair play.

Its not like daft punk's or aphex's music has suffered due to their lack of media presence. Quite the opposite in fact.

Aphex's unique artwork, style, performance etc all go towards building an image. Why should he debase it by giving a media interview where he risks ridicule, or undermining the image he has created? There's loads of music hacks out there who would probably love to bring him down.

Makes him a much more credible artist IMO.

Music doens't have to equal fame for the artist - it can exist independently.

Celebrity culture has led us to think that we have a right to know everything about everyone. I think its wrong.

*Nancy*
13-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I suppose If the music is good then why need a face ?

Tremor
13-10-2005, 11:15 AM
Celebrity culture has led us to think that we have a right to know everything about everyone. I think its wrong.I can agree with that.. Personally I don't really care what celebs are like in person.. never understood the fascination.. I dunno, fair play to artists that want their privacy, they have a right to it, and I think I'd feel the same.. Seems to me that the more publicized artists would be the more arrogant ones..

Analog.1
13-10-2005, 11:24 AM
In the old days at techno parties you used to get these skin head purists dressed in black mixed together with this supreme arrogant attitude, i miss them in a strange kind of way.. Its good to have a bit of character.

RDR
13-10-2005, 02:05 PM
Faceless techno purists?

Thats cos i kicked all their faces in for them...

That'll teach em. :twisted:

dan the acid man
13-10-2005, 03:42 PM
you know what, before i got t'internet, i didn't have a clue how any of my techno heroes looked like, and in a way, i prefered it like that.
unfortunately, i now know how normal and ugly most of them look :lol:

TechMouse
13-10-2005, 04:05 PM
To be honest, I have much more time for artists who shirk the limelight and let the music do the talking. It says a lot more about why they're in the game, and how confident they are in what they do. Also, yes, I think it keeps a certain cloak of mystique around things which is strangely enjoyable.

Aphex is a bizarre hybrid in that he is notoriously shrouded in mystery - quite often encouraging (and, I think, enjoying) massively bizarre gossip about himself, but yet uses his actual face as his brand... and it works.

SlavikSvensk
13-10-2005, 04:41 PM
Faceless techno purists?

Thats cos i kicked all their faces in for them...

That'll teach em. :twisted:

:clap:

MangaFish
13-10-2005, 09:50 PM
I suppose If the music is good then why need a face ?

fair point - its not as if most dance music needs lead singers on TOTPs etc

massplanck
13-10-2005, 11:47 PM
fair point - its not as if most dance music needs lead singers on TOTPs etc

I think they do right now.

wrong
18-10-2005, 03:24 PM
you know what, before i got t'internet, i didn't have a clue how any of my techno heroes looked like, and in a way, i prefered it like that.
unfortunately, i now know how normal and ugly most of them look :lol:

Yes - great point... you kind of built up images of characters just from their names and tghe music they create, and then when you see a picture you think..... oh...right
ah ..the good ole days hehe

278d7e64a374de26f==