PDA

View Full Version : something about the new generation techno artists

Ritzi Lee
13-10-2005, 08:23 PM
Mostly it's a taboo in our DJ producer scene to talk about what you want to achieve with your music. What are your goals to reach as DJ and / or producer?

It's not embarrising to admit you want to reach the top, if you really want to... If you try hard enough, eventually you will succeed!

But I'm asking myself:
The new generation techno artists.
Is it really possible for them (us) to reach the kind of fame of the first and second generation (oldschool) artists? Or is this just an impossible mission?

massplanck
13-10-2005, 08:39 PM
But I'm asking myself:
Is it really possible for them (us) to reach the kind of fame of the first and second generation (oldschool) artists? Or is this just an impossible mission?

Fame? :nono:

Stella Boy
13-10-2005, 08:50 PM
But I'm asking myself:

Too cool for school

What's wrong with fame ? It brings money and with that it brings options and if you become famous for making records which people love and you are proud of then what's the harm.

Ritzi Lee
13-10-2005, 08:55 PM
But I'm asking myself:

Exactly this is the kind of reaction i was expecting!

What the f u c k you want??
You all want techno to survive,
but no people who can carry this on to the crowd.

:nono:

SlavikSvensk
13-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Mostly it's a taboo in our DJ producer scene to talk

for me, just to make some good music.

Ritzi Lee
13-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Mostly it's a taboo in our DJ producer scene to talk

for me, just to make some good music.

Ofcourse man.... That's a feeling. :)

But it's the same like it is a shame to say:
"I like to earn some money with this"..

We all know our feelings for this.
We all know it's about passion and being real and so on.
But that's not the issue.

massplanck
13-10-2005, 09:05 PM
What's wrong with fame ?

It goes to peoples heads. "Recognition" is a better word. Fame is for Westlife.

Evil G
13-10-2005, 09:08 PM
i cherish my time in the studio. i really like the headspace i get into when i'm working hard on something. playing my music for other people is secondary, and really just an excuse i use to justify spending time/money on it.

SlavikSvensk
13-10-2005, 09:10 PM
But it's the same like it is a shame to say:
"I like to earn some money with this"..

of course i'd like to make some money from it, but not only are techno's business models broke, but i feel much more enthusiastic about my own productions since i freed myself from the unrealistic expectation that it will be lucrative.

massplanck
13-10-2005, 09:12 PM
of course i'd like to make some money from it, but not only are techno's business models broke, but i feel much more enthusiastic about my own productions since i freed myself from the unrealistic expectation that it will be lucrative.

:clap:

Stella Boy
13-10-2005, 09:12 PM
If you are that way inclined then sure, Fame will go to your head but we're not talking crappy pop music here so why bring up Westlife :eh:

If you have intergity and passion for your music then if you sell out then it's only down to you and not the public or pr machine.

fatcollective
13-10-2005, 09:17 PM
to receive a gig abroad or to get a residency in a local club. to be respceted for the music we make, for one day maybe to do a collaboration with an artist we respect.....these are the types of things i would like to achieve and im sure it will happen....some day in the near future ;)

Stella Boy
13-10-2005, 09:18 PM
What if a major label wanted to buy your track :?:

fatcollective
13-10-2005, 09:20 PM
What if a major label wanted to buy your track :?:

then great..... that would be good ....wouldnt it?

xfive
13-10-2005, 09:21 PM
For me, it's a matter of making music that both I and other people enjoy, and to be able to travel the world playing that music live for another experience entirely.. and as long as I can put food on the table and live comfortably, I will be happy.

Whether or not that will manifest itself with techno being the type of mysic or not remains yet to be seen... I'm definetly not limiting myself to it.

Ritzi Lee
13-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Maybe I need to outline the question in a more concrete way:

Will the new generation techno artists ever reach the status from the likes of Jeff Mills, Luke Slater, Dave Clarke, Sven Vath, .....

Those kind...

Well?

Ritzi Lee
13-10-2005, 09:25 PM
I saw some nice replies in the mean time. :)

fatcollective
13-10-2005, 09:25 PM
i think its happening at the moment...Preach, Cave etc.....

V..
13-10-2005, 11:21 PM

Will the new generation techno artists ever reach the status from the likes of Jeff Mills, Luke Slater, Dave Clarke, Sven Vath, .....

Those kind...

Well?

No those days are over.
The originals will always be remembered.
Those that come after stand on their shoulders.
Who were the astronaughts on the second moon landing?

SlavikSvensk
13-10-2005, 11:26 PM

david scott, alfred warden, james irvin :twisted:

besides, we've already had so damn many "waves" wouldn't this be like apollo 17, the last manned mission to the moon? ;) wasn't that the one where the road the ATV and brought a basketball? that's all of us, really...

MARKEG
13-10-2005, 11:37 PM

Those kind...

Well?

No those days are over.

wicked point. but i do think there's gonna be someone, or some of us that do something in the future that will take us to that type of recognition. i'm very passionate right now about making techno BUT i know i have alot more to give. i always try to make techno like i'm trying to make a new style and one day i WILL do it. it's the ultimate mission. the way i think is you have 'the anxious' sound (that's our psyuedonyn for those of you that dont know) and then they take that into something totally nothing to do with techno - but is still the same sound. that's the goal i. you don't want to spend the rest of your life copying ppl!!

;)

massplanck
13-10-2005, 11:41 PM
No those days are over.

But who will be first to land on mars? ;)

Anyone who thinks that they are gonna attain the same status as that crew listed there are deluding themselves I reckon. Its a time past.. like the beatles etc.. I doubt Atkins or May etc had fame or status at the forefront of their minds when creating Cybotron or whatever the hell they created back in the 80's detroit. But yet the acheived it. How? By doing exactly the opposite of what (some) people here are suggesting.

TechMouse
14-10-2005, 09:50 AM
This is the key point here...

Will anyone achive the same status as Mills / Slater / Clarke, without a doubt yes.... but certainly not by doing the same thing as them. The next person to be recognised in a similar way will be someone who pushes Techno forward as much as they did, which will involve pushing it in a different direction.

V..
14-10-2005, 10:54 AM
Well, what you nee dto look at, is those early techno pioneers, were kind of there at the beginning of the dance scene, as in clubs for dancing to purely electronic music.
So, no matter what anyone does now, it will still be in the established dance scene, so no, I don`t think they will ever reach the same status as said Techno OG`s, unless they invent VR Techno or some new method of delivery.
A whole night of wicked dance music that comes in a pill, you take it at home and experience a full 8 hours of cool clubbing?
I don`t know.

I`m sure people will reach a high status, but really, these will be individuals who stand out because they have done something different. And to get to this point you need to invest in experimentation and an ethic of risk taking, and rather than trying to fit into a sound, you need to kind of try not to sound like anything.
Most artist (not all) fit themselves into brackets, and more now than ever, everybody is kinda sounding the same.
In the early days of techno it was more easy to differentiate between the sounds of the artists. These days it`s all kinda blended to beige.
There is hope, and there are artists starting to do their own thing, but if we look at the scene with eyes of veracity, these people are in the minority.
To want to be the next mills will probably stop you from ever getting there.
For wanting to breakthrough and do your own thing, do something different and be willing to burn for trying, may get you there.

Mostly it's a taboo in our DJ producer scene to talk about what you want to achieve with your music. What are your goals to reach as DJ and / or producer?

To answer the original question.
My goal is to be able to keep on making music throughout my life and get enough money to keep a roof over my head and food on the table.
I guess I would like to see more of the world, so I`d like to do more gigs abroad, and to basically be able to enjoy simple pleasures of making and playing music, helping and being helped by, and hanging out with people around the world who are on the same path as me.
I hope I will keep learning more about music, and be able to continue to explore it and combine it with my other artistic interests.

massplanck
14-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Will anyone achive the same status as Mills / Slater / Clarke, without a doubt yes.... but certainly not by doing the same thing as them. The next person to be recognised in a similar way will be someone who pushes Techno forward as much as they did, which will involve pushing it in a different direction.

People who attain this status again wont be pushing techno in a new direction persay. They will be making a whole new type/genre of music & count techno as one of their main/primary influences.

massplanck
14-10-2005, 01:21 PM
To want to be the next mills will probably stop you from ever getting there.
For wanting to breakthrough and do your own thing, do something different and be willing to burn for trying, may get you there.

:clap:

TechMouse
14-10-2005, 01:28 PM

People who attain this status again wont be pushing techno in a new direction persay. They will be making a whole new type/genre of music & count techno as one of their main/primary influences.

You say Tomato...

massplanck
14-10-2005, 01:32 PM
You say Tomato...

:lol:

Seriously. I dont care about pushing techno in a new direction because as far as i can see all it ever wants to do is stay at the same speed and time sig for the rest of its life. Technos just an influence for me as much & metal is and I'm just gonna be *me* & not waffle about pushing stuff this way and that way.

Jay Pace
14-10-2005, 01:50 PM
You say Tomato...

:lol:

Seriously. I dont care about pushing techno in a new direction because as far as i can see all it ever wants to do is stay at the same speed and time sig for the rest of its life. Technos just an influence for me as much & metal is and I'm just gonna be *me* & not waffle about pushing stuff this way and that way.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

That's the spirit of innovation. Being yourself rather than conforming.

Patrick
14-10-2005, 03:23 PM

The Martian.
Get wit da moddfockin' program ;)

http://www.discogs.com/label/Red+Planet

jon connor
14-10-2005, 03:46 PM
i suppose i fit in this cat along with the fat collective my north wales brothers , my goal is to invent one day my own style and push to a younger generation i think the key is to make music that stands on its own and is origanal and keep up your consitancy with smart an inventing releases but however this becomes more of the easy bit in a way because it does come down to agents at the end of the day who can put you in a higher level to acheive the goals you want to acheive , its difficult to sale yourself without an agent some of the top boys have , but again your status has to be backed up by your music.

SlavikSvensk
14-10-2005, 04:29 PM

The Martian.
Get wit da moddfockin' program ;)

http://www.discogs.com/label/Red+Planet

:dance:

tocsin
14-10-2005, 05:22 PM

Pretty much the same for me. Besides, for all the talk about "new directions," too many people involved seem too anal to ever allow that too happen anyways. Just becomes of tool of hype. If you enjoy what I write, cool. If not, and you want to try and criticize it by saying it's not innovative enough compared to something else that is a 4/4 dance track, well, I'll likely be losing a lot of sleep. ;) I'll go my own direction. If it's new, great. If not, who cares?

SlavikSvensk
14-10-2005, 05:36 PM
I'll go my own direction. If it's new, great. If not, who cares?

good point. but going in a new direction can also mean just drawing more on personal experience. too much techno seems, to me, to be based on cliches. like "ooh this'll rock that club i like" or "ooh this is gonna sound like aliens made it," or "ooh it's tribal!" i mean, how about we all just start thinking of other things in our lives and use those as influence? like politics, or nature, anguish, or whatever...that would, IMO, be pretty revoutionary...

tocsin
14-10-2005, 07:48 PM
Most of the tracks I work on have political subjects. A couple have been blatantly obvious but most are more subtle. Still, even the 220+bpm stuff I do is intended for a dance floor and that will always be in mind, however small that floor may be. But, I've got my odd shit as well. Hell, been working on a "techno" track for awhile that is in 39/32.

SlavikSvensk
14-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Most of the tracks I work on have political subjects. A couple have been blatantly obvious but most are more subtle. Still, even the 220+bpm stuff I do is intended for a dance floor and that will always be in mind, however small that floor may be. But, I've got my odd shit as well. Hell, been working on a "techno" track for awhile that is in 39/32.

i guess i meant there's nothing wrong with techno nowadays, it's just too homogenous. :clap: for drawing on politics as inspiration...i'd like to see more techno based on different subject matter than we normally see.

Mindful
14-10-2005, 10:05 PM
I just want to make music that entertains me(I am the one that listens to it the most)
Personaly i try to push myself to make somthing thats going to make me go wow(rarley happens and when it does that feeling doesnt last that long)
Ive f*cked off many a decent track becase it sounds like somthing ive heard before and its rare that im ever totaly happy with my work(cause its usualy rubbish)
The fact is that I love new music and sound and the best way to do this is to make it myself.

To try and answer the original question a bit better.

No Im not that sure there is going to be anybody who can accheive that kind of status anymore because theres so many of us who can listen to a track and go I can do that(and some of us can)
And landing on Mars maybe an exiting thing when it happens but we all know that one day its going to be possible where as before man had walked the moon not many belived it was possible.

Still not sure i answerd the question :lol:

djshiva
14-10-2005, 11:44 PM
I'll go my own direction. If it's new, great. If not, who cares?

good point. but going in a new direction can also mean just drawing more on personal experience. too much techno seems, to me, to be based on cliches. like "ooh this'll rock that club i like" or "ooh this is gonna sound like aliens made it," or "ooh it's tribal!" i mean, how about we all just start thinking of other things in our lives and use those as influence? like politics, or nature, anguish, or whatever...that would, IMO, be pretty revoutionary...

sooo...what makes you think no one is doing that already? just a question, not a jab...

techno influenced by techno is pretty dull, but it is possible to write something that comes from anger, personal experience, politics or whatnot, and still rock a dancefloor (IMHO).

as for the original question, i would like to be able to travel, meet new people, rock some soundsystems outside of the US, eat food from all over the world, see people and countries that are different than my own, and inject that experience into the music i make. my goal more than anything is to push past the american myopia and see things with new eyes and ears.

honestly, i do love it when a song comes together and says what i want it to say (and that's why i put off producing forever until i felt i could impart what i wanted to). but frankly, being in the studio all day kinda bores me. i wanna play the shit live and loud, for people who wanna let go and experience the catharsis of a loudass system and some good ole' sweat!

djshiva
14-10-2005, 11:51 PM

i guess i meant there's nothing wrong with techno nowadays, it's just too homogenous. :clap: for drawing on politics as inspiration...i'd like to see more techno based on different subject matter than we normally see.

i think the frustration of doing music that's mostly sans vocals is that it is tougher to impart your intention and inspiration. obviously some good, well-done vocals can get your point across (i think specifically of UR in that sentence), but also album art, infosheets etc. are a nice addition to the mix. every studio dj mix i have done had a concept in mind, as have the tunes i have worked on. it IS more difficult to get it across, but it is possible.

an example: my first record (yay!) is about a ****ED up relationship i had with a woman who was diagnosed borderline personality disorder. the title was "finality" (my final say on the whole mess). the tune "borderline shift" was about how she made me feel, with all the twists and turns of her emotional freakouts (and subsequently the song had all kinda crazy edits to give it a chaotic feel). and the last tune "the last word" was exactly what it sounds like. the final thing i had to say before i was completely done with the whole mess.

i am really proud of that one, specifically because the songs (to me) really described what i was feeling. whether anyone else gets it remains to be seen.

i have had an ongoing discussion with several of my friend about song titles versus track numbers (A1, B1, etc). he thinks words on records are useless. i am a writer of words, so i can't quite let them go that easily. plus i think song titles do give u a better idea of what the person was thinking about when they wrote it. unless your umek or autechre that is...then it's just gobbledy gook...but i digress...

any thoughts on this?

SlavikSvensk
15-10-2005, 12:26 AM
sooo...what makes you think no one is doing that already? just a question, not a jab...

not "no one," "not enough."

this is and always has been my thing...techno can be so evocative that i think it's a shame so little of it is. this is a generalization with plenty of notable exceptions. :) i just think, especially considering today's loop-based production, a lot of people can produce decent sounding, but cookie-cutter, tracks with an ease not found earlier. i just want to hear MORE tracks written inspired by diverse subject matter...again...not all, more...

SlavikSvensk
15-10-2005, 12:27 AM
an example: my first record (yay!) is about a **** up relationship i had with a woman who was diagnosed borderline personality disorder. the title was "finality" (my final say on the whole mess). the tune "borderline shift" was about how she made me feel, with all the twists and turns of her emotional freakouts (and subsequently the song had all kinda crazy edits to give it a chaotic feel). and the last tune "the last word" was exactly what it sounds like. the final thing i had to say before i was completely done with the whole mess.

that's what i'm talkin' about! :!:

djshiva
15-10-2005, 12:31 AM

not "no one," "not enough."

this is and always has been my thing...techno can be so evocative that i think it's a shame so little of it is. this is a generalization with plenty of notable exceptions. :) i just think, especially considering today's loop-based production, a lot of people can produce decent sounding, but cookie-cutter, tracks with an ease not found earlier. i just want to hear MORE tracks written inspired by diverse subject matter...again...not all, more...

i DO agree, by the way. wasn't debating that point. and i would love to have a discussion about how various people have tried to translate what thoughts they had in their head into music...new thread maybe...

SlavikSvensk
15-10-2005, 12:33 AM
i DO agree, by the way. wasn't debating that point. and i would love to have a discussion about how various people have tried to translate what thoughts they had in their head into music...new thread maybe...

start it up! i, for one, :love: the abstract threads...

The Divide
15-10-2005, 01:47 PM
To answer this question I would say no, no one will reach that level of fame in techno now as the likes of Mills, UR were pioneers of something new. However if the scene got of its arse and tried to pull in a younger crowd then maybe the whole thing could do a full circle with a slightly more evolved slant.

I think the real inventors of today are the people who create interactive devices/software and use them to advance their own personal expression. Those are the people who are doing something relatively new and can push back the limitations of a standard sequencing package.

278d7e64a374de26f==