PDA

View Full Version : pre-2000 Techno?

grain
14-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Funny how Techno ages isn't it?

Listening back to old records years later, you find some stuff still sounds fresh, while other stuff no longer sounds relevant...

So how about people post up a short list of techno records released 1990 - 2000 that you would still buy or recommend in 2005.

I don't think anything post 2000 should be included cause this is to do with how Techno stands to the test of time...

Well here's my list:

Suburban Knight - 'The Worlds' (Transmat 1990)

UR - X101 (Tresor 1991)

The Prodigy - 'Everybody In The Place' (XL 1992)

Vapourspace - 'Gravitational Arch of 10' (Plus8 1993)

Morganistic - 'Fluids Amniotic' (Input Nueron 1994)

The Advent - 'Elements of Life' (internal 1995)

Edge Records 21 - 'Auslander' (Edge Records 1996)

Neil Landstrumm - 'Bedrooms and Cities' (Tresor 1997)

DJ Rush - 'Tracks Couture' (Djax 1998)

Heiko Laux - 'Liquidism' (Kanzleramt 1998)

Thomas Krome - 'Woodcaver's Nightmare Recarved' (Corb 1999)

Luke Slater - 'Body Freefall, Electronic Inform' (Novamute 2000)

Looking forward to seeing some of yo lists, homies!

btw, I found myself wanting to include all sorts of experimental stuff and ambient, but - lets keep it techno!! .. "hey wait a minute - The Prodigy's not techno!" ...

clap :clap:

oldbugger
14-10-2005, 04:52 PM
marco carola --- the 1000 collection brilliant lp from 1998. :clap: still fresh as anything :cool:

all plastikman, (too much to list)

cari lekebusch --- for those who wnow. another brillian lp from 1996.

minus orange is still great too,

come to think of it isn't music pretty shite these days? considdering were supposed to be evolving all the stuff i have mention above is much better than most stuff i hear these days. :doh:

certainly hasn't moved on that much really has it considdering?

SlavikSvensk
14-10-2005, 04:53 PM
most of the tracks i like most are from before 2000. some before 1990. :shock:

Jay Pace
14-10-2005, 04:56 PM

Oi! None of that. :twisted:

Stood the test of time?

All Beltram
All Hood
Most of Mills
All the Fuse records

Basically the people who spent a long time crafting something special, rather than throwing up something quickly that was flavour of the month.

I also have a severe weakness for:

Carl Cox - Lets do it
Lenny D'Ice - We R E

Wah. Too many to list.

conflict
14-10-2005, 05:10 PM
fusion frame ep on zenit

conflict
14-10-2005, 05:10 PM
force majeure by henrik b

oldbugger
14-10-2005, 05:14 PM

Oi! None of that. :twisted:

i didnt mean to be so negative. its just it was so easy to think of good stuff pre 2000. and the stuff that did imideatly sring to mind IS better than 99% of what i'm hearing at the moment. sad but true ;) [/quote]

SlavikSvensk
14-10-2005, 05:24 PM
how about let's give it up for rob hood, steve rachmad, dan bell, kenny larkin, black dog, mad mike, gerald donald, cari, adam, joel mull, luke slater, ian o'brien, russ gabriel, regis, surgeon, ken ishii, and all da homeez who i forgot or was too lazy to mention!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

g
14-10-2005, 06:22 PM
Vapourspace - 'Gravitational Arch of 10' (Plus8 1993)

Morganistic - 'Fluids Amniotic' (Input Nueron 1994)

The Advent - 'Elements of Life' (internal 1995)
yes, yes, yes.

Agent Orange NYC
14-10-2005, 06:32 PM
I thought that whole COUNTDOWN 2000 series was really dope. Very pure high quality stuff on there. Mhonolink, Henrik B, Pounding Grooves, Jamie Anderson, DJ Misjah - all good stuff

grain
14-10-2005, 07:18 PM
how about let's give it up for rob hood, steve rachmad, dan bell, kenny larkin, black dog, mad mike, gerald donald, cari, adam, joel mull, luke slater, ian o'brien, russ gabriel, regis, surgeon, ken ishii, and all da homeez who i forgot or was too lazy to mention!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

All innovators...

To be honest, I was kind of hoping that some people would actually LIST a few favorites...

Like everyone, I'm sure, I bought what records I could afford over the years but I'm quite sure I missed 1000 times as many...
And as I was saying, listening to stuff that was made 5 - 15 years ago, some of it stands the test of time... way more stuff sounded exiting at the time but doesn't sound so exiting today...

Hence, as I flick through all those records, l come across the odd one that is a true GEM, and I think of how many of those I must have missed, and how many records pre 2000 (indeed, also '00 - today) that I have that I could care less about...

So.. I thought if a few people listed what they thought were true classics, I could see if I could find a few of those records I missed, and everone else could too...

I mean, I love, say, the Advent, but I didn't want to say, oh anything by the Advent is good, cause if I go looking for records and just pick up any advent release pre 2000, I may get something good, or I may get something that sounds outdated, but I can say - "youre going to love this album, 'Elements of Life', It's a must have record if you can get it... it still sounds so fresh, but 'New beginnings' which came after that doesn't sound as good now (even tho I loved it when it came out)... see what I mean?

Then theres Oldbugger, you old bugger!!... mostly likes pre-2000 techno, not so much good stuff now? - nonsense!, not that there isn't heaps of rubbish about these days and buckets of mediocre stuff... but there was heaps of rubbish back then also, thankfully, the mind blots it out......

Theres always the good stuff, it's just elusive - that's why I'm keen to discover a few things I missed - so get the finger out, come on, pick a few favorites and let someone else discover them - share the knowledge people!!

And no cheating - loads of stuff I wanted to include was 2001 (Mills' 'Metropolis', Regis' 'Penetration') but RULES are RULES :evil:

Somebody there was saying they were into loads of early nineties stuff, and even BEFORE '90... well fair play, spill the beans, give us some favorites!!

Bottom line is - 1990 - 2000 , RECORDS, not just favorite producers,
I'm looking for THE CREAM OF THE CROP!

C'MON!!!

[/b]

g
14-10-2005, 07:45 PM
a TON of stuff i'm leaving out, esp detroit, but here's a random list that comes to mind

Moodymann - I Can't Kick This Feelin When It Hits
Moodymann - Shades Of Jae
Earth People - Dance
Hayden Andre Project - Tribal Life
Club MCM - Club MCM
Designer Music - Good Girls
Convextion - Convextion
Basic Channel 1-9
Chain Reaction
Santos Rodriguez - Road To Rio
Thor - Aliens Don't Boogie
Teste - The Wipe
Robotman - Do Da Doo
V/A - Acid House For All
Barada - Baradatrax
Hard Trax - Hardphunk
Circuit Breaker - The End
Speedy J - Public Energy No. 1
Inigo Kennedy - Five Ways To Move ('01?)
CBX001 - CBX005
Female - Angel Plague
Karl O'Connor, Peter Sutton & Ian J. Richardson - A Disintegration Of Our Faith
Karl O'Connor, Peter Sutton & Ian J. Richardson - A Disintegration Of Your Art
Karl O'Connor & Peter Sutton - Againstnature
Oliver Ho - Listening To The Voice Inside
Heiko Laux - Re-Televised
Relief Records
Samuel L. Session - Check Out This I Bring
Samuel L. Session - Moments Of Clarity
Purpose Maker 1-10
Axis 1-21
UR - Amazon
UR - Final Frontier
Fix - Flash
Blueprint 1-16
James Ruskin - Further Design

grain
14-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Alright G!!!!

THATS what I'm talking about!!

going to hunt a few of them down.. artists I know and love but some tracks/albums I never knew about....

A couple of post 2000 releases there but I'm going to let you away with it :lol:

Axis 1-21, Blueprint 1-16, Purposemaker 1-10 tho? - that's a bit too vague... not ALL of those are absolutely BRILLIANT... and some of them have not aged well either.. particularly some of the blueprint ones...

But I have to say,
:clap:

schlongfingers
14-10-2005, 08:55 PM
all Paul Birken and as mentioned above, Neil Landstrumm

g
14-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Axis 1-21, Blueprint 1-16, Purposemaker 1-10 tho? - that's a bit too vague... not ALL of those are absolutely BRILLIANT... and some of them have not aged well either.. particularly some of the blueprint ones...
perhaps.. but i think they are all important. same with the BC stuff. and really most of them have a timeless quality when you go back to them.

speaking of timeless, check Carl Craig - Landcruising

SlavikSvensk
14-10-2005, 09:23 PM
To be honest, I was kind of hoping that some people would actually LIST a few favorites...

i just did ;) since i generally prefer pre-2000 techno to current techno, i could name you any number of records in my collection, and chances are they'd be from then.

but just because i'm nice, here's a couple g didn't mention:

red planet "journey to the martian polar cap"
mr. james barth "stealin' music"
UR/Octave One - "aztlan/day star rising"
wild planet "genetic"
conceiled project "pattern 1-4"
ignacio "organa/organon"
surgeon "pet 2000"

g
14-10-2005, 09:32 PM
and goodgollygoddamn are you nice! ;) :lol:

SlavikSvensk
14-10-2005, 09:36 PM
and goodgollygoddamn are you nice! ;) :lol:

i had to make sure i didn't just list yours again, as i'm thinking our collections have a large amount of crossover...hehe...

(good call on putting the entire basic channel/chain reaction set on there ;))

marginmaster
14-10-2005, 09:42 PM
maurizio-ploy strategic mix is one of the best records ever made still to this day i reckon.
and his mix of vainqueer.

wild and taylor bang the acid.

grain
14-10-2005, 11:25 PM
... check Carl Craig - Landcruising

Love that album.. havn't heard it in a long time actually... record went walkies... :cry:

Yes.. Important records alright, timeless - quite a few of them (BP06- Oliver Ho 'Swim') ... Just looking for favorites I suppose... Particularly Special ones, know what I mean?.. sure you can say theyre ALL special... It's just, you can't really recommend to someone that they should buy an entire back catalogue of stuff, then again, if you had the money... OK, you win.

:doh:

SlavikSvensk
14-10-2005, 11:30 PM

Love that album.. havn't heard it in a long time actually... record went walkies... :cry:

you;ve got good taste, then! have you looked for it on gemm?

g
15-10-2005, 12:02 AM

carl (more or less) just re-released it as "The Album Formerly Known As...". on Planet E. the Warner publishing deal finally expired... so you can go buy it again. or i see the original available on CD all the time.

g
15-10-2005, 12:04 AM
...It's just, you can't really recommend to someone that they should buy an entire back catalogue of stuff...
certain stuff, yes you certainly can. ;)

grain
15-10-2005, 12:12 AM
....red planet "journey to the martian polar cap"

Svensk... THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN 'BOUT!!!!!

I have a few of the Red Planets... but not THAT one....

I go to Junorecords website... Search... There it is... Listen.... BEAUTIFUL!!
...Add to Cart... Yes... YES YES YES!!

I never heard that tune before. heavenly.. Thank you Svensk! Thank you very much..

THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN 'BOUT!!!!!

So nice, to hear some NEW OLD techno... see, I don't think you could say the whole of the red planet series is worth going after, but that's a magical recommendation!

I had a look for landcruising just there, no luck, but I'm looking on Juno records... What's this 'Gemm' place.. any use?

Svensk, I can't help but thinking that that's actually YOU in that avatar... it is, isn't it? That would explain the exellent selection - Extraterrestrial Intelligence!

g
15-10-2005, 12:14 AM
then you should go listen to everything else @ submerge.

:twisted:

SlavikSvensk
15-10-2005, 12:21 AM

hehe totally. but what's with not carrying directbeat, eh?

www.submerge.com

gemm is a music marketplace. you can basically find anything there. i found weird yugoslavian patriotic music on 7", as well as some out-of-print garnier records ("astral dreams" :love: )

www.gemm.com

grain
15-10-2005, 12:22 AM
...It's just, you can't really recommend to someone that they should buy an entire back catalogue of stuff...
certain stuff, yes you certainly can. ;)

but as i said straight after that comment, OK, you win!

To be honest, I've only had proper (personal) internet access for about three months, so the idea of actually being able to hunt down an entire back catalogue of a label is only being realised (by me!) now..... oh dear... but.... . . but... that's going to cost a fortune!..... oh no... I can feel myself slipping into this internet ..it is a net, isn't it?.... .slip slip... .. .

:little yellow sceaming face: (there should be a little screaming yellow face)

g
15-10-2005, 12:29 AM

hehe totally. but what's with not carrying directbeat, eh?
long story...

and re GEMM: def good resource in a pinch but keep in mind you'll pay 15% more across the board (incl shipping) when you use them.

SlavikSvensk
15-10-2005, 12:35 AM
and re GEMM: def good resource in a pinch but keep in mind you'll pay 15% more across the board (incl shipping) when you use them.

true, but i needs me some aux 88...you got a better source? you holding out on me?! :protest:

;)

herman
15-10-2005, 12:35 AM
Clementine - Cosmopolitan For The Cosmos [Djax]
The Black Dog - Virtual [Black Dog Recordings]
Planet Earth - Brother From Another Planet [Seventh City]
Frequency - Television [Metroplex]
Underground Resistance - Eye Of The Storm [UR]
Jeff Mills - Gateway Of Zen [Axis]
Heamaglobien - Centurion [Jelly Jam]
Electric Soul - X2 (Instrumental) [Direct Beat]
Instinct - Catastrophe [Decisive]
Sub System - J'ai Peur [Atom Communication]
Bfc - Chicken Noodle Soup [A.R.T]

Nice little cross section there, think im going to have to do another classics mix up with some of that lot now ;)

grain
15-10-2005, 12:37 AM
had a look at that gemm thing... kind of like e-bay for records? Very expensive though ... 50 dollars well that turns out to be 40 euro - I just checked .. wow, the dollar is going down no?

Well, it's still expensive, but I suppose if you REALLY want something, that seems to be the place...

Nice one... there was quite a few records i couldn't find on other sites, so I'll be going back there... oh yes... oh no...

SlavikSvensk
15-10-2005, 12:40 AM
had a look at that gemm thing... kind of like e-bay for records? Very expensive though ... 50 dollars well that turns out to be 40 euro - I just checked .. wow, the dollar is going down no?

Well, it's still expensive, but I suppose if you REALLY want something, that seems to be the place...

Nice one... there was quite a few records i couldn't find on other sites, so I'll be going back there... oh yes... oh no...

yeah the dollar is weak. you can get good deals on gemm...but you have to spend some time looking. there are also a lot of gemm dealers in the uk. as g said though...it's kind of a last resort sort of place.

g
15-10-2005, 12:44 AM

true, but i needs me some aux 88...you got a better source? you holding out on me?! :protest:

;)
nah.. aux/DB etc is unfortunately pretty hard to get in general. assuming you didn't buy it all then.. ;p

http://www.directbeat.com is certainly no help. hah. i'm sure the publishing shiz will get straightened out eventually and we'll have this big new (short-lived, trendy) Techno Bass renaissance. you heard it here first!!

SlavikSvensk
15-10-2005, 12:52 AM
nah.. aux/DB etc is unfortunately pretty hard to get in general. assuming you didn't buy it all then.. ;p

not enough :gutted:

gemm it is, then...

do you by any chance remember the twonz tape from 1995 that began with "tales from the bass-side?" man that was the first mix i got in detroit and totally changed the way i thought about electronic music, completing an evolution begun by "sheet one..."

djshiva
15-10-2005, 12:53 AM
twonz!!!!!

hell yeah!

g
15-10-2005, 06:28 AM
twonz!!!!!

hell yeah!
exactly. that's about all that needs to be said about that skinny mofo. :)

The Overfiend
15-10-2005, 07:48 AM
Touche Records
back then was gold.

Paul Johnson
The Music In Me on Relief.

That Ian Pooley remix Of Land of the lost.

Beltram
ballpark

The Overfiend
15-10-2005, 07:49 AM
H.p. Vince
On Groove Alert

Subspace records if yall wanna talk techno

g
15-10-2005, 07:53 AM
PAUL JOHNSON

grain
15-10-2005, 06:51 PM
Clementine - Cosmopolitan For The Cosmos [Djax]
The Black Dog - Virtual [Black Dog Recordings]
Planet Earth - Brother From Another Planet [Seventh City]
Frequency - Television [Metroplex]
Underground Resistance - Eye Of The Storm [UR]
Jeff Mills - Gateway Of Zen [Axis]
Heamaglobien - Centurion [Jelly Jam]
Electric Soul - X2 (Instrumental) [Direct Beat]
Instinct - Catastrophe [Decisive]
Sub System - J'ai Peur [Atom Communication]
Bfc - Chicken Noodle Soup [A.R.T]

Nice little cross section there, think im going to have to do another classics mix up with some of that lot now ;)

NICE list hermann... Just found that clemantine album there on Gemm... it's expensive but I think I might have to get it... it's bound to be worth it ....

I feel like i've just opened the most delicious can of worms!!!. . .
:doh:

stjohn
15-10-2005, 07:06 PM
i always see these lists from people, who swear by um.... makes me feel like i missed alot from back'n'n'day!

maybe when i start workin ill go hunting....
or maybe ill just keep robbin your records grain!!! ;)

say nothing!

SlavikSvensk
15-10-2005, 08:44 PM
twonz!!!!!

hell yeah!

whatever happened to him anyways? and murat?

g
16-10-2005, 09:57 PM
both still around..

g
16-10-2005, 09:58 PM
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=502802

sorta kinda a little bit b/c of this thread =)

DJ Becka
17-10-2005, 12:32 AM
One of my personal favorites......

DBX - Losing Control (original & remixes) -Peacefrog

Nuff said ;)

Tremor
17-10-2005, 12:57 PM
I've been breaking into lots of old 90s trax lately.. Stuff like..

Dj Funk- Run

Misjah and Tim- Reckless

Groovehead- Cycle Mode

Someone mentioned Neil Landstrum "Bedrooms and Cities" love that whole thing.. and the one on Peace Frogs with Shuttle Cock..

Paul Birkin- Speaker Freakin

Jeff Mills- the Bells

Platform- Rowcast

I've been playing old Frankie Bones stuff too.. like "Trackwork Orange" and some of the early Ghetto Technics.. Sat night I went on a real wild hair and opened with Run DMC vs Jason Nevins.. haven't played that in years, followed it with Jark Prongo- Movin Thru.. Stuff like GreenVelvet- Flash still hits pretty well..

crazyxray
17-10-2005, 03:23 PM
Lemon 8 - Model 8 - Basic Energy 103 (1993)

Zolex - The Black Out Remixes - Dance Opera 361R (1993)

System 7 - Alpha Wave (Plastikman Mix) - Butterfly 025 (1995)

Ninjahead - Pulseman vs. Sineman - Frogman 007 (1995)

pumpinglemma
17-10-2005, 11:36 PM
maurizio-ploy strategic mix is one of the best records ever made still to this day i reckon.
and his mix of vainqueer.

wild and taylor bang the acid.

Good choice. They are both amazing records. I love all the the early 90's techno too.
I'm going to point out some obvious choices but a good place to start if u have not heard them yet:

Early Warp: All the A.I series especially the Speedy J, Polygon Window, Black Dog Albums, Autechre and Fuse albums. They are more chilled techno but definitely still techno...
Plus 8 also provided some amazing stuff.
Anything by plastikman. First 2 albums are essential. Musik and Sheet One.
Early Tresor albums: Joey Beltram - Places.
Waveform Transmissions 1-3
Rob Hood - Internal Empire etc...

If you like Landstrumm then Bedrooms and Cities are his best album IMO.
I have Brown by August too but think it sounds pretty dated and simple now. Think he says so himself on his site!
Understanding Disinformation is also good and the Polaris releases on Sonicgroove(impossible to get unfortunatley) and the Blue arsed Fly releases on Tresor(him and Vogel) are worth checkin out.

Sh*t theres loads more I cant think of. must go thru my own records ;)

Also speaking of basic channel. Philips Trak is an amazing record too. Filthy noise followed by bouncing chords for about 8-9minutes !

mh
19-10-2005, 12:29 AM
LFO - LFO
X-103 - Eruption
Tretek - Born Again
Teste - The Wipe
Vapour Space - Gravitational Arch Of 10
Millsart - Step To Enchantment
Green Velvet - Flash
James Ruskin - The Divide
Surgeon - La Real
Cristian Vogel - Never Too Late (Cari Lekebusch remix)

278d7e64a374de26f==