PDA

View Full Version : UK Acid & Techno Reviews...

Si the Sigh
18-07-2003, 11:30 AM
What do people think about this: "Why do none of the dance music magazines review UK acid & techno?" Back in the days of Wax magazine you had a page of review dedicated to UK acid & techno releases, and as far as I was concerned I had all the information I needed on the music I love. Now that Wax has folded, there is not one magazine that covers the UK style. Sure you get the imported stuff and the odd bit of acid & techno in the "hard dance" section, but thats not enough to me! There are so many good labels (SUF, Routemaster, Hydraulix, Powertools, etc) and so many good producers (Guy McAffer, DAVE, The Liberators, Ant, etc) and yet I feel these people dont get the credit and recognition they deserve. I have emailed iDJ (the so called DJ's magazine and expressed my opinion about this and had a good response back. They are looking into it. What do you people think? Would you like to see coverage for UK acid & techno in magazines? :roll:

T
18-07-2003, 12:30 PM
Yeah sounds good, but myself don't bother with music mags. Internet generally has all info i need and I find music media print a lot of bollox imho....but...am sure many other people would like to see it and there's nout wrong with widening accessibility to music that is often ignored and not given any recognition.

matt303
19-07-2003, 01:24 AM
Look out for a free magazine called "up front", it has a very good large london techno review.

wenna
19-07-2003, 07:35 PM
up front magazine, i discovered this for the first time not long ago. it had dedicated acid reviews by Oberon, Aaron Liberator and others. club listings for DECENT clubs and to add the icing on the cake an interview with Luke "Producer" Mcmillan.... i can't believe this went undetected by me for so long!!

MARKEG
20-07-2003, 12:45 PM
yeah upfront interviewed me 2 months ago and i've just started getting the mag though the post because of it. i have to say it's the best mag for trance/techno but yet i can't help feeling that the internet is 100000000000000000 times better. hmmmm..

Si the Sigh
05-08-2003, 11:29 AM
Check out this month's issue of iDJ (the August issue) and check out page 29 the letter's page (called Rave) and look at the star letter. I know its proper wanky and seriously arse licky...But hey, I got me a nice new pair of Stanton Discmasters! :D Nice one! :lol:

davethedrummer
05-08-2003, 11:37 AM
chris lib has just done something for Idj
and to be honest the press do mention us from time to time
but don't get caught in the web of deceit they weave
they'll only write about what they perceive to be "fashionable" and that changes from day to day.

Si the Sigh
05-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Yea, iDJ's responce to my request for more reviews was "We are working on it Si. In the meantime, check out Chris Liberator's 6x6 on page 36..." By the way, it was interesting to read Chris's top six records in six categories...I see he bigs up a couple of your tracks Mr Drummer! :lol:

Jimfish
05-08-2003, 12:12 PM
idj have just done a feature on our managment comany 'promethean'... god knows why

karlo
05-08-2003, 12:20 PM
i`m realy sad becaouse here in croatia, we dont have that magazines..

is there any web site of some bes magazine to subscribe ?

Byeee

Jimfish
05-08-2003, 12:22 PM
idj is a proper plop mag imo

Si the Sigh
05-08-2003, 12:26 PM
All the magazine's are a bit crap though. It seems they are not run by people who love it as much as they should. The only magazine's I really enjoyed reading and bought every month were Eternity & Wax...RIP :cry:

daviec
05-08-2003, 05:56 PM
Yeah, eternity right up until it went a bit "funny". I seem to remember they had a picture of jesus with some aliens on the front, and... well... it just went a bit odd.

Wax was also superb, but it just seemed to disappear. Altough right before I stopped seeing it on the shelves it seemed to have went up it's owen arse a bit musically

Jimfish
05-08-2003, 06:16 PM
yeah i stopped buyin wax in its last year.. dunno why, i guess it just didnt grab me anymore - i had been an avid reader for several years prior to that

Chris Hare
11-08-2003, 03:42 PM
i agree sigh, it would be nice to see more acid/techno reviews in mags ... however if techno was plastered all over the main stream mags that would reflect that it had become less underground which would be scary... its bad enough with cheesers like the ferg-mister playing fat uk techno to people who cant even spell it, let alone it suddenly becoming "Fashionable" enough to have a place in "Fashionable" mags like dj ect... as always there`s two sides to the coin!!

Chris Hare
11-08-2003, 03:44 PM
oh yeah and big up the chuckie avatar mate ... :lol:

Si the Sigh
15-08-2003, 07:59 AM
It took some finding man! :D

dcdn
15-08-2003, 09:48 AM
anyone got some websites of up front or idj magazines???
i want to read them to!

278d7e64a374de26f==