PDA

View Full Version : mac are going to become p.c's running windows!!!!!

davethedrummer
20-10-2005, 03:23 AM
apparently the new g6 macintoshes will run with intell processors
using windows

is it time to sell up and change over right now.....

or do we wati and see????

FILTERZ
20-10-2005, 09:29 AM
wait and see , i couldn`t afford a new computer now . I have also heard you can run logic 7 on a pc now with some kind of adapting software .

FIK
20-10-2005, 10:36 AM
wait and see , i couldn`t afford a new computer now . I have also heard you can run logic 7 on a pc now with some kind of adapting software .

This goes even further
In the latest FM I read that there are some computerboffins who managed to get OsX running on a pc laptop. I don't think it would be stable but in the future my guess is that we'll see more of this type of stuff

TechMouse
20-10-2005, 10:43 AM
The Mac will still be a trusted platform. i.e. even though future Macs will run on intel, the internals of a Mac will still be locked down by Apple, and most likely that is all they will support. I severely doubt that Apple will ever sell them with Windows, though in theory there's no reason why Windows wouldn't run on them. You might be able to get OS-X running on a PC, but prepare yourself for some serious hacking around - and Apple is never going to support it. Though, to be honest, since OS-X is built on top of a POSIX kernel (some flavour of BSD, I understand) this has probably been possible for a while.

fresh_an_funky_design
20-10-2005, 11:47 AM
nah you've got completely the wrong end of the stick there!!! Apple will be changing processors from motorolla to intel. The Intel chips will be specifically built to run under os X and will not be comptaible with windows. Exactly the same as they are now, but different manufacturer. Its not the hardware that makes mac's great its the operating sytem

TechMouse
20-10-2005, 12:59 PM
nah you've got completely the wrong end of the stick there!!! Apple will be changing processors from motorolla to intel. The Intel chips will be specifically built to run under os X and will not be comptaible with windows. Exactly the same as they are now, but different manufacturer. Its not the hardware that makes mac's great its the operating sytem
My understanding was they were leaving the PowerPC architecture, and going to the PC standard of x86?

dan the acid man
20-10-2005, 01:55 PM
what made macs so good was the components inside and the operating systems.

but pc compenents are much better now things like isa have gone, so its not about the components any more, its about the operating systems.
if they do go the windows route, then there isnt much point sticking with a mac imo of course

Electrictribe
20-10-2005, 02:43 PM
they are just dropping the amd chips in favour of the intel as IBM couldn't produce what was asked of them. The new intel machines will be able to dual run XP and OSX. But OSX will not be supported for PC machines. Their is a version of the OSX been hacked to work on pc's floating round, but at best can use i-tunes and thats about it. plug ins and drivers etc will not work and doubt there will be any support for them.

TechMouse
20-10-2005, 03:42 PM
The strength of Macs was the closed system.
They will still be a closed system.

stjohn
20-10-2005, 05:16 PM

This goes even further
In the latest FM I read that there are some computerboffins who managed to get OsX running on a pc laptop. I don't think it would be stable but in the future my guess is that we'll see more of this type of stuff
#
i read this too! it actually says that OSX is rumoured to be just as, if not more stable on a PC. Unlikely, but thats what FM were saying!

FIK
20-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Their is a version of the OSX been hacked to work on pc's floating round, but at best can use i-tunes and thats about it. plug ins and drivers etc will not work and doubt there will be any support for them.

The article in Fm said that they had Logic 7 express running with full instrument support and multiple audio tracks

findthesolution
21-10-2005, 07:47 AM
Apple dropped the IBM PowerPC chips because the PowerPC roadmap wasnt what they wanted. Intel has some SICK chips in the works that consume far less energy than the chips of today, and also feature a 45nm manufacturing process which will allow even more system bandwidth than the PPC chips we have in macs today.

OSX 10.4 can and will run on any x86 machine...however apple is expected to launch OSX 10.5 Leopard along with the Intel-Macs which will ensure that the Mac system will remain a closed source.

So what advantage will apple have on other x86 machines in the future? Lets not forget how much you pay for a mac and how well it runs. HP, Dell, and Gateway will most definitely not be utilizing the higher-end x86 offerings from Intel. Expect dual-core powerbooks, ibooks, and mac mini's running dual-core 2.0ghz chips in mid 06, with imacs and powermacs following close behind.

BTW, OSX 10.5 will support both PPC and x86 systems for many many years to come. My advice would be to purchase one of the final revision PPC Macs, as the first few generations of Intel-Macs are likely to be buggy.

UngratefulNinja
24-10-2005, 08:31 PM
OSX does and currently will run on a x86 platform. You should just need the Mactel (Macintosh Intel) Developer's Kit version of Darwin (OSX for x86's). Look around on the internet and you be able to download the .dmg, burn it to disc and go from there.

There's a couple of things you need to fiddle with and compile something else but its pretty bread and butter to get it working.

Also, here's a little secret:

OSX has been runnable on x86's since the first version of OSX was ever released, but that version of the OS was never released from Apple's headquarters and that's why OSX runs stable as all hell on anything you install it on, they've had a PC version of the OS since the OS came into existance (not like its that hard really, all OSX is a POSIX/UNIX with a really well developed X11 variant GUI).

They will also be releasing Rosetta with the x86 incarnations of OSX, its a emulator similar to the one that emulated the OS9 Classic environment for older Mac applications but is much better optimized to run PPC code, and actually runs most OSX applications pretty well.

That's all I know for now :cry:

TechnoNRGKid
25-10-2005, 06:24 AM

This goes even further
In the latest FM I read that there are some computerboffins who managed to get OsX running on a pc laptop. I don't think it would be stable but in the future my guess is that we'll see more of this type of stuff We already do , there's tons of Emulators out there.
Things like Virtual PC that allows you to run other operating systems in emulation.
As well as game emulators etc.

There's always the discussion of Mac more stable than windows and it's because windows has been scarred with there 9x fat file system based operating systems.
Since Windows went to an NT kernel stability problems are far gone.

The Hardware, device drivers and the operating system deterimines your stableness.

I dont know what to think bout the Macintosh/intel thing, first i've heard of it and whoa.
Macintosh currently runs under RISC....
http://www.amigau.com/aig/riscisc.html

also...

http://cse.stanford.edu/class/sophomore-college/projects-00/risc/risccisc/

TechMouse
25-10-2005, 12:49 PM
not like its that hard really, all OSX is a POSIX/UNIX with a really well developed X11 variant GUI.
Specifically, OS-X was built on top of Darwin, which is Apple's own POSIX Operating System - and open source, which is fantastic. Darwin's kernel is a Xnu, which is a hybrid based on the Mach 3.0 and FreeBSD 5.x kernels. The fact that almost everything in OS-X's family tree is open source apart from OS-X itself, means that most of it will run on x86 - and if it doesn't, then some geek somewhere will be able to make it.

Open source is definitely the way forward.

dan the acid man
25-10-2005, 03:29 PM
you clever programmers you :lol:

TechMouse
25-10-2005, 03:59 PM
you clever programmers you :lol:
Why thankyou. :oops:

davethedrummer
26-10-2005, 02:49 AM
fecking hell
a science lesson?
so in laymans terms
don't worry about it right?? :neutral:

TechnoNRGKid
26-10-2005, 04:06 AM
^The way computers are always evolving, no. lol

TechMouse
26-10-2005, 11:35 AM
so in laymans terms
don't worry about it right?? :neutral:
Yes, the geeks are always two steps ahead.

You'll be fine.

dan the acid man
26-10-2005, 12:23 PM
just feed them with biros and the geeks will look after us

278d7e64a374de26f==