PDA

View Full Version : Out of Time Techno?

matt303
20-07-2003, 11:05 AM
Call me old fashioned but i like my techno to stay in time and i can't understand why producers but 4 beat breaks, 2 bar breaks etc in their tunes. I can understand the want to break the mould and there are ways to get round them as a dj (counting? letting it go late or early), but 9/10 times it just makes the mix sound dodgy. What do people think, innovation or irratation? And how do you mix around such breaks?

MARKEG
20-07-2003, 12:42 PM
is say that you obviously know what you like and fair play.

but i do love it when the beat goes weird! that's techno!!!

i'm not quite sure what you mean though. name a particular trac you're talking about....

BritishMurderBoy
20-07-2003, 02:15 PM
I can understand the want to break the mould

if people don't break moulds the music will never go anywhere: look at pop music..

verse
chorus
verse
chorus
verse
chorus
chorus

yawnnnnnnnnnnnn

TripleX
20-07-2003, 06:49 PM
And how do you mix around such breaks?

you need to know the records and then you gotta count...(16,32).
no problem actually you just have to use two records with the same system....

davethedrummer
20-07-2003, 08:10 PM
are you talking about the arrangements stopping and starting at weird places so it messes up the overall arrangement of your mix?
i'm not too keen on this either unless it is a great track and the weird bits really work.
but if it's more dj tool style groove then i say make it playable don't mess with the groove leave that to the dj.
michael burkat and lars klein keep doing this and i really like thier records but the breaks are so unpredictable and there are too many to learn that i have to give up playing them sometimes.

crime
20-07-2003, 11:22 PM
Call me old fashioned but i like my techno to stay in time and i can't understand why producers but 4 beat breaks, 2 bar breaks etc in their tunes. I can understand the want to break the mould and there are ways to get round them as a dj (counting? letting it go late or early), but 9/10 times it just makes the mix sound dodgy. What do people think, innovation or irratation? And how do you mix around such breaks?
So you have to be good to play them...
I like writing trax that are hard to mix :twisted:

Adverse
20-07-2003, 11:30 PM
i like mixing tracks that are hard to mix

miromiric.
20-07-2003, 11:38 PM
i like mixing trax that are not hard to mix *ggg*.
i like mixing down trax that are hard to mix.:P

bornaa
21-07-2003, 04:07 AM
i like mix trax that have heavy bassdrum n then when hihat go crazzy like tum -chaa tum - cha and i stard dancin in club and crowd go wild and miromiric always give me dope speed i snort and mix and dance all night long...and i like tehno when sounds hard and dark but easy and happy at same time...i listen to this track other day n the guy make this crazzy sound like jet plane take off n i go nuts over it and i start dance again...and my mom comes home n she say "hey, that is dope tehno track" .... n dad com home he see me n mom dance n say: "what a beautyfull song"....

Col
21-07-2003, 10:17 AM
although, im a dj myself id much prefer to hear something innovative, than nothing more than a dj friendly record, ok so it makes it easier to mix, but what does that say about the overall music?

go|plastic
21-07-2003, 02:40 PM
i like mix trax that have heavy bassdrum n then when hihat go crazzy like tum -chaa tum - cha and i stard dancin in club and crowd go wild and miromiric always give me dope speed i snort and mix and dance all night long...and i like tehno when sounds hard and dark but easy and happy at same time...i listen to this track other day n the guy make this crazzy sound like jet plane take off n i go nuts over it and i start dance again...and my mom comes home n she say "hey, that is dope tehno track" .... n dad com home he see me n mom dance n say: "what a beautyfull song"....

that...was...AWESOM....

:lol:

PETDuo
22-07-2003, 12:10 AM
I know a track from Ted Bjorling , think it's called Bam Bam Song, on Thunderground rec., and it's got that that off-beat come back from a faded out f**** airfx-break...it's wicked when the other track is already mixing and u can do a simple A-B, B-A fader touch to catch the beat or hihats on both tracks, an then u simply scratch 1 beat back the record to continue mix...sorry, have to say, practiced that phew! times...

meri
22-07-2003, 01:37 PM
I know what you're saying Matt...... I expect 4 beat breaks with hard trance (especially Italian stuff), so I take it into consideration when mixing... but with techno, producers generally tend to keep it 'straight', so when you mix the odd one that does lose time, it's highly irritating. Would extending the 'gap' from 4 to 8 or 16 beats really make the track less innovative? If you think yes, then why can't the producer just do his/her innovative timing ****-up in the middle of the track and not during the mix-in/mix-out?

Methodixxx
24-07-2003, 04:43 AM
but if it's more dj tool style groove then i say make it playable don't mess with the groove leave that to the dj.
michael burkat and lars klein keep doing this and i really like thier records but the breaks are so unpredictable and there are too many to learn that i have to give up playing them sometimes.

I agree with this... when mixing on 3 decks (or 2 for that matter) you have to know exactly where these "off bar" breaks are, and when there's too many of them, the sequence of the bars just all goes out the window. I like using bars, phrases, etc when mixing.. it seems more musical and methodical (hence my name) for me if it is structured more like a traditional piece of music...

There is a proper musical name for added beats at the end of a phrase where the timing goes off by a bar, 2 bars, 1/2 bar, etc... I just can't remember it...

If a dj wants it to happen, they can just do it themselves with where they throw the next record in and how they structure it... if it's written into the record you have no control of when it will happpen and can get quite frustrating...

If it wasn't so frequent on some records you could time it so the "off bar" sections on your different records line up in the mix and the phrases keeps their structure.... but there's just too damn many of them on some tunes!

I think some producers need to become better djs... :wink: Heehhehee!

MARKEG
24-07-2003, 11:08 AM
miro. meri, methodixx - can you reduce the size of your avatars a little bit to more like the size of mine????? it'll just make things a little bit easier to read, that's all...

crime
24-07-2003, 11:14 AM
I think some producers need to become better djs... :wink: Heehhehee!

I think some djs need to become better djs.....

Expect the unexpected

crime
24-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Also, from a personal viewpoint, I've written trax before that were originally for my live act, and the fact they went onto a record was a secondary consideration... there's no way I'm taking out some mental break, or out of time change just to keep certain DJs happy.. in fact I like the way it messes with peoples heads... Maybe you just need to know your records better!

professor
24-07-2003, 01:59 PM
as long as the bpm doesn't change, do what'cha want. I'll beat it regardless.

278d7e64a374de26f==