PDA

View Full Version : new computer teething problems arrrgh-blip!

stjohn
22-10-2005, 06:21 PM
howyaz! so i have a new computer up and running and im just trying to get everything going smooth! speed wise the computer seems grand, its a 2GHZ athlon 64, with 1gb ram!
but since i activated Windows online ive been gettin pop ups and stuff! and sometimes the computer is crashing because of them (i think) which really has me worried. ive ran adaware and avg, but they stll pop up!

plus im having trouble with VSTs. SX2 wont oad any of the ones i install, ive made sure that all the folder setting are right. so when i try open them in ableton...most of them appear but it then wont let open some of the steinberg VSTs quadrafuzz etc... and the Waves Waveshell

so can some please tell where th emagic button is to fix these???? :cry: or a pointers to the right direction?

Merci

k_n_ka
22-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Halloas! The emagic button to fix dat annoying pop up banners.

At firts u showld have installed sp2 for ur winXP version or a pop up blocker.

In first example u just have to downlaod this at microsoft website ( If u have an original one).
Usually the pop up blocker is activated but if not ----

Control panel\ internet options\ privacy

Than at the bottom of the internet options screen just select the pop - up windows blocker.

or u can download a pop - up blocker software
http://www.download.com/3120-20_4-0.html?tag=srch&nid=1&qt=pop+up+blockers&tg=dl-20

cya

stjohn
25-10-2005, 12:48 AM
im still gettin trouble with everything! im constantly trying to download the Windows updates but my computer is still crashing! I get 'not respoding' reports on Internet Explorer alot. Ive re-installed the operating system, and although im not gettin virus reports (maybe because i deleted AVG) i can just tell things are not right!! this is something thats gettin to me as im looking forward to gettin everthing running smoothly!

would it make any difference if
A) i put the machine together myself (maybe im installing something incorrectly)
B) im using my freinds copy of Windows XP?

im still tryin to get all the updates but having trouble because you have to use IE to download.

has anyone experienced similar problems? any help would be greatly appreciated coz me heads bleedin wrecked!!!

stjohn
25-10-2005, 01:32 AM
i have SP2 dowloading, after trying for ages!!! its not the easiest thing to find!!

dan the acid man
25-10-2005, 11:53 AM
there is a network administrators version, once you have found it on their updates site, yo can save it to disk, and use that to update xp to sp2 offline, also its handy to get save sp1 to your pc and burn that to disk, then you wont need to be connected to the net next time you install xp.

i'd recommend you scan for viruses and make sure you have xp's firewall enabled or use somebody elses like zone alarm, kerio etc.

or my top tip would be to use a hardware router with an inbuilt firewall

stjohn
25-10-2005, 12:04 PM
i have sp2 installed now and things seem to clearing up, please be to God!!! i had to re-install windows tho, but ive scanned the machine and reg and all that, and there seems to be no prblems!!! thanks for the help.... you know how it is...

you buy a brand pair of Nike's and within 10 minutes of waering them you stand in a puddle of muck!! :doh: :doh: :lol:

dan the acid man
25-10-2005, 03:28 PM
yeah i know what you eman mate, last time i installed xp on someones pc, during all the updates, i let something through the firewall that i shouldnt have, thought itw as one of the updates and it was a trojan :oops: had to do it all over again :doh:

if i can find the link for the admin sp2 download, i'll post it up, its really useful to be able to do all the updates from disc instead of through the net

278d7e64a374de26f==