PDA

View Full Version : Best Synth (HW/SW)

tekboi
21-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Hi everyone,

Just curious on peoples opinions on what the best synth for hardware and software is out there at the moment?

I have been told Absynth is the best soft synth.
As for a synthesiser not too sure, but would like to be recommended one.

Hope I can get some opinions for hardware and software thanks.

Cheers!!!

herman
21-07-2003, 07:13 PM
hardware = supernova my favourite piece of hardware that i have ever owned just so versatile.

not to sure about software as im still fairly new to it but i have got a lot of mileage out of that a1 synth that comes with sx already great bit of software that.

acidhead
21-07-2003, 10:26 PM
d'cota as a softsynth , or maybe try one of the modulars if your brave vaz

hardware - i go for the supernova2 as well - the virus does more - the novation sounds better :)

djTequila
22-07-2003, 02:51 PM
I found the Novation gave more immediate 'trance' sounds, but I couldn't make it 'scream'. The Virus is all very nice - the C sounds particularly good, but the user interface is fouled up beyond recognition. In a studio session, I couldn't find a way to manipulate the LFOs on a lovely trance lead patch... Nor could my friend, or the engineer! In the end we had to abandon the sound. :evil: Frustrating when you're paying for time, even more when you've found the right sound!

A Nord Modular or Nord Lead would be a good investment, from what I've heard of the sounds they can produce. Really crisp.

For software, if you want that Novation sound, the V-Station is quite lovely. Then back it up with Absynth or D'Cota for interesting pads and atmosphere... And some gorgeous lead & percussive sounds. I've had trouble with D'Cota in Logic though... The release on at least one oscillator seems to be permanently set to infinity!

I really like PlasticZ - a very unusual, deceptively simple soft synth, good for plastic, springy or lead sounds. Perfect for cutting hardcore effects, with some nice effects tucked away. Get a Muon Tau Pro from acid squelches, maybe a Beast for screaming Juno style hooverness (you can get the Juno X for this, and the Beast has a few sound issues - it locks out synths on Cubase SX and kills the sound on Logic for me.)

But more and more I'm using the default synths in Logic 5 Platinum. They have a lovely sound, lots of high end detail in the best possible way, and simple UIs. Maybe just a little generic though.

Oh, and don't forget the Moog Modular V soft synth. It sounds gorgeous for that real analogue feel...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Quite a processor hog though.

Tequila

davethedrummer
22-07-2003, 02:57 PM
yeeesh!
all sounds a bit t.r.a.n.c.e. to me.
lot's of pads and sweeps and yuk!
still i have a nord modular and i must agree ,it rocks.

djTequila
22-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Just why I don't rate the Novation much - too locked into one genre.

Is it just me or is the trance forum pretty dead? (Explaining why the trance heads are using this one...)

Tequila

herman
22-07-2003, 05:25 PM
Not sure i agree about the novation and trance, i only make techno using it and must have used it on more than 100 tracks or so in the last couple of years maybe some people are just lazy with the editing or something :wink:

Jimfish
22-07-2003, 06:33 PM
yeah, the novation sound is great for everything once you know how to werk it and get passed the trancey presets.
i love the bubbly watery sound and the real tight feel.

tekboi
23-07-2003, 04:35 AM
Would I be right to assume that Virus would be a better investment than the Novation along techno lines?

djTequila
23-07-2003, 10:01 AM
Not sure i agree about the novation and trance, i only make techno using it and must have used it on more than 100 tracks or so in the last couple of years maybe some people are just lazy with the editing or something :wink:

Fair enough! I only had a limited time with it... All the sounds I found in that time were quite trancey and pretty tame - but I'm more than willing to accept that as a shorcoming in myself rather than the synth!

(I did also get feedback from a longtime Novation owner that he had trouble making it scream... And from a pro who had one of almost every make of synth you could think of - apart from Novation, as he didn't rate them much. It's taste though. Always taste! ;) )

Most synths can be coaxed into producing sounds that fit your own ideals... And nothing beats being fully conversent with your favourite instrument!

:)

Maybe what you need to do is play with some (far cheaper) software synths first, learn about the ins and outs of synthesis (or just get used to it in its different forms), and then get a hardware synth that fits your requirements based on your experience and sound... You'll be able to try out several different units in a shop, knowing exactly what you're looking for and how to get it. That knowledge is something no amount of these replies will be able to give you!

Don't go by the preset patches - this thread has shown up one reason why that's bad.

Another is more subtle. The presets are made to sound good in a shop! They are usually of little use in a track, as they have far too wide a frequency footprint and far too many stong harmonics. (Basically they're trying to do the job of a whole track to make you feel excited enough to hand over the dosh). This will give you an unrealistic view of the potential of the synth in situ...

Trust me, even though it's not as immediatelty gratifying, you'll be better off waiting for a while than forking out over a grand for something you might regret later! Unless you are experienced and just looking for opinions... Or have a lot of money to throw around...

In the meantime, have a look at Z3ta+ as a s/w synth... The waveshaping looks like a powerful tool...

Tequila

Dustin Zahn
23-07-2003, 06:23 PM
Basically, to say which synth is simply the best won't work cause its all a matter of preference. Plus, so many synths work best for different sounds. If you're looking for that lush techno sound, or edgy techy bass of drum n bass I guess the new Virus isn't a bad way to go. If you're lookin' to be the next Danilo Vigorito or whatever, it's time to invest in a moog or something old school.

As for software, I use a combination of things...reaktor, absynth, pro53, fm7, they all have their pros and cons. Personally, I am a big fan of the "lush" clean synth sounds, but it seems everyone and their mother have been using them lately. So, I've started using the Pro53 quite a bit to get a bit of a more old school sound.

In a nutshell, everything is going to sound "trancey" or "electro" when you mess with an un-modified preset. You have to tamper with things to get it to sound crazy!

Jimfish
23-07-2003, 06:29 PM
u know the score..
some are 'better' than others in terms of flexibility though, but really as you say its about personal preferance

Adverse
23-07-2003, 08:47 PM
i'm quite warming up to reaktor.

The Divide
23-07-2003, 10:13 PM
Its a matter of preference. i like abysynth most. I also dig the sound you can get out Reasons Malstorm, it sounds kinda digital l but i think you can get some very odd/unique sounds out it. I like to play around with FM7 from time to time, not realy into of Pro 53. I think the Virus is my fav hardware synth. Absynth fav soft synth. Although, it does seem unstable from time to time, shit it even makes crazy nioses when it crashes.

MARKEG
23-07-2003, 11:57 PM
yeah i love the fm7.

the pro 53 is bloody horrible to me these days.

The Divide
24-07-2003, 12:25 AM
On this subject, just downloading Absynth 2 this very moment. I cant wait!!!!!!! Should have it by christmas on this ****ing 56K piece a shit!! Grrr. I would recommend Reactor, if you got a good head and understand building modular synthesisers. Its the ****in bee's knees for unique sounds and there's so much you can do with it. Its basically building you own VSTi from scratch. I had a tinker about with it a long time ago, it blagged my head. Gonna give it another shot when I get it.

davethedrummer
24-07-2003, 10:18 AM
ting taNG TONG splang dink ploink!
that's how i like a synth to sound
and nothing less!

DJZeMig_L
24-07-2003, 05:55 PM
Hardware ... I would go 4 the Novation like herman said u can basically get anything out of it but I think the new series is even better than SN2..

I like the virus C aswell though I find that it sounds a bit 2 strong on the midrange freq.

I luv my Pulse + :) & yamaha Cs 15...

Software.. the new Moog Modular is a beast ... I'm also quite impressed by Jungelist and A1...

Z

djTequila
25-07-2003, 10:28 AM
Played with a Novation K-Station yesterday. The rhythm section is FAT.

I'm beginning to worry that my wide array of s/w synths is stifling my creativity. I was already worrying about this, then the editorial in FM made it quite clear. (Funny, 'cause I got FM mainly for the free synth on the cover disk. It's quite lovely, too - if a bit of a processor hog-beast.)

If you have 20 synths at your disposal, you'll use the presets from each one.

If you have three, you'll learn how to use each one incredibly well, and get the best, most unique sounds from them.

So... Which synths do I whittle down to?

Sigh... They're all sooooooooooo nice!

Tequila

The Divide
25-07-2003, 10:46 AM
Looking back, I sometimes ask myself if there was any point buying my hardware synths (pulse/juno). Dont get me wrong I do use them from time to time. I love the pulse, its got a random patch on it. But at the end of the day, I realy like what I can do with programing Absynth now, it makes sounds that are what I am looking for. With some added F.X and distortion ontop.

The Divide
25-07-2003, 11:02 AM
Then again, it does ****ing crash a lot. what a cunt

Basil Rush
06-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Virus is essential. Sometimes it's the only synth we use, rarely does a track get finished without something off the Virus .. even pop music ... it's fantastic, does nearly everything but the bass isn't that great most of the time (although don't forget to turn phase init to 1 or something if you are using it for bass)

Novation Supernova ... nicer than the Virus for bass sounds, but bass wise does sound identical to a Pro-52 although the editing is a lot better and you've got things like delays on the envelopes which are wicked...

Juno 106 - nicer than all of the above for the bottom end, though I sold mine 'cause it was taking up too much space in the studio and replaced it with a studio electronics SE-1 which also kicks arse in the lead department and has a more sensible midi specification as well as fitting on the desk.

Also we've got an XTk which gets used some days and then not for months but it is great if a little weird. And I've just dug the original Waldorf Microwave out of the cupboard for a track.

davethedrummer
06-08-2003, 07:40 PM
mark
i agree about the pro 53
it's way too nice isn't it?

djTequila
07-08-2003, 10:10 AM
But at the end of the day, I realy like what I can do with programing Absynth now, it makes sounds that are what I am looking for. With some added F.X and distortion ontop.

Did you get a manual with your Absynth?

T

djTequila
07-08-2003, 10:12 AM
mark
i agree about the pro 53
it's way too nice isn't it?

A bit jangly. Lots of high-end detail, but not crisp...

I haven't touched it since getting Z3ta+ and Albino...

T

Jimfish
07-08-2003, 10:21 AM
pro53 aint quite as crisp as somthing like vstation but it is defo my fave soft synth at the moment by a mile... it just bursts with life!

J Swift
09-08-2003, 05:07 PM
Yeah, Absynth and FM7 are the only softsynths I like - Good for mid-rangey sounds and ambience and stuff...
Still go for older hardware stuff for core sounds, like bass and things.
Juno 106 and MC202 are definetly the ultimate bass combo.
Usually go for older synths for smooth sounds too (Wavestation usually), softsynths are still a little gritty sometimes.

RichieV
09-08-2003, 11:01 PM
Fm7
Absynth
Albino
Rhino
Zeta
Moog MOdular
Reaktor
Iblit

for software

hardware : the virus is the one synth i have not seen a software emulator sound even close

The Divide
10-08-2003, 12:20 AM
Did you get a manual with your Absynth?

No i didnt, its an "ahem" borrowed. Maybe thats why it crashes!! hahaha.

Its not too hard to sus, start by tweaking the presets and figure them out that way. Then work on your own sounds, look for the beatgenerator too! You can get that to make you a drum pattern 4/8/16/32 and tweak the envelopes/osc's. Some of the presets sound amazing to me, Very detailed. Its also great for making satuarted nioses.

I am suprised no one has realy mentioned Reaktor apart from RichieV.

From what I am told its all singing all dancing mother of all things VSTI.

Been playing around with Slayer, its not exactly a techno synth, does some realy insane electric guitar sounds. Great for making a racket with makes me :) .

Very true about junos, those do go low for bass. My juno-01 is only used for that (and the occasional novelty hoover sound), apart from that it sounds far too 1980's or something.

Basil Rush
10-08-2003, 07:24 PM
Friend of mine is well into Slayer. He writes some kind of Gabba stuff. But I've just been blown away by the creamware synths. Sounds more like a Juno 106 than a Juno 106 ... and it doesn't break down and you can give the patches names ...

crime
10-08-2003, 07:30 PM
at the end of the day though, it ain't what you got, it's what you do with it....

kROKar
10-08-2003, 09:13 PM
Currently works best for me:
V-Station
D'Cota

randomize rulez :twisted:

Antinoise
23-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Anything analouge kills anything cpu based. However, cpu/digital sounds are not as limited.

Sell you relatives and get a Jomox Sunsyn for the analogue sound. Compliment that with reaktor as the digital counterpart and Bobs Your Uncle.

You dont really need a Sunsyn though.. My Retro777 cuts any track or a MFB Synth is good too - and that’s less than 500 bills. Or.. check ebay for an old roland sh*. All analogue..

"Ding Dong WA-WAAA Tiss"

For VST's ... check the Massiva Energy... Limited in sounds but makes a "Bloink" that I can’t reproduce anywhere.

-G

Basil Rush
24-08-2003, 06:13 PM
we've just got an atc-1 racked up ... blown me away, it's fantastic, favourite thing in the studio at the moment ... the bass it's got going on is just growling and then there's the SEM filter ooooo bring it on!

Arkus P.
24-08-2003, 06:43 PM
in my opinion clavia modular is the best synth ever! The combinatin of hard- and software is: :thumbs up:

Col
24-08-2003, 09:45 PM
i only own soft synths (not out of choice)

i find myself using the fm7 an awful lot, so id have to go for that.

acidhead
24-08-2003, 09:48 PM
in my opinion clavia modular is the best synth ever! The combinatin of hard- and software is:

really? i hate mine - do u want to buy it ? :D:D:D

Antinoise
25-08-2003, 04:57 AM
we've just got an atc-1 racked up ... blown me away, it's fantastic, favourite thing in the studio at the moment ... the bass it's got going on is just growling and then there's the SEM filter ooooo bring it on!

I second that!. Everything Studio Electronics is class!! My SE-1x is untouchable. I'm looking to pick up an ATC to compliment it. (If I don't get a Sunsyn first). The SE-1 and ATC are similar yet each have their own characteristic. The SE-1 is deep buttery love while the ATC has all those filters. Both recommended.

Also.. to add to VST's to check out.. Check the Big Tick Rhino. It has a sick sound with an analogue type body. Very surprising.

-G

Arkus P.
25-08-2003, 07:42 PM
really? i hate mine - do u want to buy it ? :D:D:D

really??? I love mine!!! Yes I want!! please send pm :wink:

Buttman
25-08-2003, 08:26 PM
Yamaha DX100!

DJZeMig_L
27-08-2003, 02:13 PM
Can get enought of Moog Modular V...

Hardware :
Studio electronics is like said above, unfortunatly it comes with a non-atractive price tag...

Simpler but still very cool ...

Elektron Sid Station (discontinued)... more 4 experimental and elektro-retro sound..
Waldorf Pulse
MicroKorg

4 drums elektron Machine drum is absolutly amazing!!

never got my hands on a synsynth :(
Alesis Andromeda is kweul bit u really have 2 work hard 2 learn it properly!! :(

Z

Basil Rush
28-08-2003, 01:34 PM

I second that!. Everything Studio Electronics is class!! My SE-1x is untouchable. I'm looking to pick up an ATC to compliment it. (If I don't get a Sunsyn first). The SE-1 and ATC are similar yet each have their own characteristic. The SE-1 is deep buttery love while the ATC has all those filters. Both recommended.

-G

yeah, we've got an SE-1 (original not the x) and it was the top dog in the studio, but whilst it does have three oscillators and a digital display for showing patch names and the like the ATC-1 kicks its butt in terms of flexibility of sound, it tears, bleeps, growls and squeeks and makes the SE-1 just sound flappy in comparison!

as they say, your milage may vary but it does it for me...

BloodStar
06-08-2009, 12:01 PM
bump :_D

pd2h
24-08-2009, 03:17 PM
Not been in the game so long so can't comment on many synths as I have used very few. The best of the freeware ones I have used so far has to be "crystal" it's a great little number with a huge amount of control. I have used it fairly sucessfully for a couple of basslines etc check it out!!

judas_beast
26-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Hardware: my custom made Donk Machine
Software: the new soft synth version of my custom made Donk Machine

pd2h
26-08-2009, 01:01 PM
Hardware: my custom made Donk Machine
Software: the new soft synth version of my custom made Donk Machine

Mmm pictures...?

judas_beast
26-08-2009, 02:02 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/33kst2s.jpg

Place your donks now.

Andy
18-10-2009, 11:30 PM
My own personal favs and most used

Hardware:
Roland JP8080
Roland Alpha Juno 1
Access Virus B
Freebass FB383

Software:
Sonic Core/Creamware Minimax
Sonic Core/Creamware Profit 5
Sonic Core/Creamware Modular
EMU Emulator X2 Sampler (using sampled oscillator waveforms)
Audiorealism Bassline
Korg Legacy Digital M1

If i had the money and studio space id also add more hardware such as the Roland JD990, Jupiter 8 and 6, JV2080 and SH101 to name a few!

a X cell
20-10-2009, 07:18 PM
Anybody tried the Audio Realism Bass Line Pro one? It's not like the 303 emulator but this thing sure can come up with great sounds :)

aNaLpLeAsEr
09-11-2009, 04:02 PM
I want a Mini Moog.

Bionic_Eye
15-04-2010, 09:52 AM
i really like operator

tpdc
15-04-2010, 10:45 AM
hardware wise I love my Dark Energy. awesome for pulse width sounds etc. 100% analogue for 350 quid. look it up on youtube if you're interested there's plenty of demos.
Dark Energy (http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Energy_e.htm)
http://www.doepfer.de/Dark_Energy_medium.jpg

software wise the audiorealism albpro is my favourite. they basically took their 303 and added another osicallator, additional wave types and an lfo. plus it Reason-like wire routing and a step sequencer.
ABL Pro announcement (http://www.audiorealism.se/abl_pro_cookin.htm)

http://www.audiorealism.se/images/ablpro_thumbnail_s.jpg

278d7e64a374de26f==