PDA

View Full Version : which drum machine , synth and midi keyboard to buy?

Picanzo
26-10-2005, 12:22 AM
Hi .. I want to buy a drum machine , a synth a midi keyboard and good studio monitors...
Im thinking using a good sequencer software .. with all this..
But I don't have much money..

Which good drum machine , synth , midi keyboard and studio monitors but not too expensive can I choose to buy?
I need something more(maybe a production mixer, or a midi controller?) to use all this with the computer?

plz help me m8s

rounser
26-10-2005, 03:00 AM
So long as you have a PC, MIDI keyboard, a prosumer soundcard and some nearfield monitors you shouldn't need the drum machine or synth.

Drum machines are something of an outdated concept nowadays; no-one really produces them any more (with the odd exception, such as the quite sexy machinedrum, or collector's items like the 909 and 808). VST plugin drum machines are another matter, and make a good complement to drum samples. Battery is a favourite, for instance.

Synths...if you produce on a PC, and you probably will given that your sequencer software will need to run on something, you'll have synths coming out your ears...it really is a bit of a non-issue unless you want a certain sound that can only be achieved on a specific piece of hardware (and that's pretty rare). I recommend shoving the idea of synths to the back of your mind...far more important is the sampler. In general, dance music production is about the sampler first and foremost - a sampler is the mocking bird of dance music production, and you can produce tracks entirely on it. Most folks new to production assume that synths and drum machines are the main concern, when really they're more of a supplement to the sampler (or bouncing to audio tracks for that matter). All the best sampler possibilities are on computers (with the odd exception, such as the Akai MPC series, although a PC + MIDI drum pad is probably preferable to that anyway...) but the range is surprisingly limited regardless. Kontakt, Halion, Reason's NN-19 and NN-XT, Logic's EXS24 and Ableton Live's Simpler seem to do most of the heavy lifting in this respect.

Of that lot, monitors will be the most expensive component, so do your most research into those. Soundcard, likewise do your research; check forums and the archives and reviews in online magazines such as www.soundonsound.com and www.futuremusic.co.uk ...you probably won't need DSP capabilities, just look for something with low latency and good user reviews with regard to lack of crackles and whatnot.

MIDI keyboards...again, do your research. Consider MIDI drum pads such as the MPD-16 and the Trigger Finger, and that combination drum pads + minikeys keyboard. A trick with MIDI keyboards is getting an old synth off of ebay. It's pots and faders may well be able to transmit MIDI CC messages, and the keyboard definitely will if it's not too old, and it may well be cheaper than a dedicated MIDI controller such as a Remote 25 and such.

Good luck...

davethedrummer
26-10-2005, 03:00 AM
you know what
we could be here all day answering that one
it's way too general. you want to narrow it down for us?

what style of music ?
can you play an instrument ?
how much money do you have ?
do you really want hardware , or will sftware do for now?

check out turnkey for a good selection of monitors keyboards synths
drum machines

www.turnkey.co.uk

and tell us what you have found maybe we can get our heads together
and get some options going

fresh_an_funky_design
26-10-2005, 11:28 AM
i would personally just get a computer, soundcard and monitors first. when you feel comfortable with software and producing, the decide whether you need hardware. Before you get drum machines and synths i recommend getting a mixing desk and outboard compression then take it from there. Learn to use each piece of equipment you buy before you get something new. There's no point buying a shit load of hardware and not being able to use it. If you do wanna get a drum machine though, i recommend a Jamox X-base 09, wicked analogue sounds.

Picanzo
26-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey... thkz for ur advices m8s.. I know that in a computer we can have all this without spent too much money..
But I already felt the power of an analogue machine and I loved it :twisted: ... Its a big difference between virtual machines and analogue ones.. Its so more interesting and we can feel the sound we are creating, I really don't know how to explain , its a good sensation , really good one.
I don't have much money now.. But I will get it working... it worths!
I saw a demo video from tr 880 drum machine and I loved it , really cool. And we can find it in good conditions with a bit of luck in ebay.
And Im thinking as synth the vÃ*rus collection , maybe virus classic.. omg.. really awesome, I fell in love with these.
Im thinking in Phonic bx8 for monitoring cause I need it to producing and to djing too! So it will be good to the two things...
Midi keyboard , I really don't know.. but I expect to get a not too expensive one and a good one. Oxygen 8?
In this moment Im working with Reason 2.5 but I need to feel the power..
I can have the machines , anda work with that and the virtual way. =)

Once again , thkz for ur help :clap: :!:

Picanzo
26-10-2005, 01:35 PM
ups... I forgot...
Style of music I want to produce its Techno =) The best 4 ever!
If I can play an instrument? what u mean? a machine like a synth or drum machine or something like a guitar?
I don't have too much money but I can get it working , as I already said.
Software its good.. But I really want hardware !

cheers

Picanzo
26-10-2005, 01:37 PM
damn ... I forgot again :shifty:

thkz for the website Dave

fresh_an_funky_design
26-10-2005, 02:17 PM
your only using reason though, i would upgrade to either logic or cubase before getting hardware, your also going to need an outboard mixer before you get any hardware, and a good mixer is gonna set you back £300 minimum. The mackie 1604 or onyx desks are good value

Picanzo
26-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Yeah.. I know... Im thinking in cubase(I already posted my question about the best sequencer software).. Im starting to work with cubase and Reason (trying to).. I heard about that mackie mixer and that onyx mixer .. vlz pro right? 300£ minimum .. I think it worth! Just a matter of time to get the money =|

thkz for the advice

Evil G
26-10-2005, 09:50 PM
if you are sure you want hardware, i'd recommend jomox for analog drums. i have the airbase99 and love it to death.

for synths, the virus is digital, so you would be better off with a tc powercore card and running the virus plugin than getting the real thing. but for analog warmth without insane price, a used juno 106 is always a good place to start.

Picanzo
27-10-2005, 12:46 AM
Thkz for ur help too , Evil G!

acidsaturation
27-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Just be aware that once you start collecting it'll never be enough...

fresh_an_funky_design
27-10-2005, 03:01 PM
hardware addiction is worse than drug addiction... well maybe not quite as bad!

Milesy
29-10-2005, 01:48 AM
as much as people will disagree..everyone is boffing about how software is the new hardware... i think hardware is the new software.

im a bit of a analogue freek and ever since a nipper have been fasinated with anything electronic, anything that flashes or beeps...

There is nothing more fun than sitting with a bunch of machines doing stuff!!

278d7e64a374de26f==