PDA

View Full Version : Monitors + Subwoofer?

TechnoNRGKid
26-10-2005, 10:04 AM
i was liooking around on www.Turnkey.co.uk (thx to a reply to a post from DTD).
I seen a pair of these for $100 around where i can afford for now but in desperate need of some sorta monitors for due time...

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/productimages/SAMS-RESO65P.jpg

The Resolv65 monitors sound full and balanced with an uncompromised transparent midrange, leaving room to accurately mix vocals, snare hits and reverb trails. The Resolv65 features 6.5" copolymer butyl surround Woofer, a 1" titanium diaphragm, neodimium magnet with ferro-fluid cooled tweeter and gold plated binding posts all mounted in a ported tuned cabinet.
Features:

6.5" copolymer butyl surround woofer
1" titanium diaphragm, neodimium magnet with ferro-fluid cooled tweeter
Gold plated binding posts
Ported tuned cabinet
Passive crossover

Now, they also recommended a subwoofer...

http://www.turnkey.co.uk/productimages/SAMS-RESO120A.jpg
Samson Resolv 120A Active Subwoofer (Each)

Taking care of the low end is the Resolv120a powered subwoofer. A powerful 120 watt low frequency amplifier drives a heavy-duty 10" transducer, reproducing tones between 40-80 Hz. The unit has a built-in active crossover, a phaseswitch, an auto sleep mode and a convenient mute switch jack allowing the user to easily switch on and off the subwoofer on the fly.
Features:

120 watt low frequency amplifier
Heavy-duty 10" transducer
40-180 Hz.
Active crossover
A phase switch
An auto sleep mode
Mute switch jack
For $100.

Do i need or should i get a subwoofer for monitors?
Will it add extra bass to the low end that it shouldnt?
On my current regular set of speakers i have a subwoofer and i can adjust how much volume and bass on the sub, wich makes you wonder where the volume and bass settings should sit around realisticly.

Picanzo
26-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Uhm it depends ... U want monitors to djing or to production?
Hey.. in my opinion (don't have much experience)... if u want monitors to production u need to listen the sound how it is ... I think that a subwoofer change that so I don't recommend u to buy a sub (just in that case)
Other else if u want monitors do djing than I think that a little bass won't hurt u ;) We like always to feel the bass!
But just my opinion ... there will be more and best advices in this topic for sure.

Evil G
26-10-2005, 09:42 PM
i hear this over and over again (that using a sub exagerates the bass and wrecks your mix) and it is complete bunk.

with the crossover properly set, a sub extends the frequency response of your monitoring chain down to the bottom 2 octaves that many small monitors can't reach. if your stuff is going to be played at the club on 18" woofers, you definitely need to know what's happening in the lower frequencies, or you will get a big surprise.

set improperly, a sub will double up on the upper bass (with both the monitors and sub pushing the same frequencies), which will cause problems, but setting it up properly isn't really that hard. you can use a frequency analyzer and a microphone, or just use your ear. play a series of notes from a keyboard, and as they go down, the sound should transition from the monitors to the sub smoothly, with no bump or gap in response. if you notice some notes are louder or quieter than others, adjust the crossover down or up until every note sounds at the same volume.

TechnoNRGKid
27-10-2005, 05:23 AM
^ cool, thx for the advice.

It's deff for production. Ima try that on my current set up and on my new monitor setup when i get it. I've heard of those freq analyzers, i think for surround sound if i'm correct.
Cheers!

SlavikSvensk
27-10-2005, 07:29 AM
i hear this over and over again (that using a sub exagerates the bass and wrecks your mix) and it is complete bunk.

i agree, and besides...you should always have a proper set of headphones to double check your mix

TechnoNRGKid
27-10-2005, 08:30 AM
I have an ok set of headphones Sony MDR-V600s.
I try to listen to professional sounds so i can get a feel of the bass in them also.

FILTERZ
27-10-2005, 01:35 PM
I have mackie 624`s and a mackie sub , works excellent for me, but took a while to set up properly as there are so many options on my sub and my speakers , basically if its set up right its a good thing . However it kinda depends on the size of your monitors , some larger monitoring speakers get right down there anyway sub or not ,however these are expensive. I suspect that the samsons dont get right down there and so a sub would make sense.

Metadog
28-10-2005, 01:40 AM
i guess if you know what you're doing then subs might be ok but we never got ours set up right - lol - muppets - have got hhb circle 5s now, totally wicked and no need for subs

278d7e64a374de26f==