PDA

View Full Version : distortion probs

doc12inch
26-10-2005, 01:29 PM
over the past few months ive been noticing problems with my sets i record onto my pc.

randomly maybe once twice or more the recorded set will suddenly distort crazily and sound shite then go back to normal after any given period of time.

any ideas. ive changed the cable once, im going to do it again just in case. but is there a chance that the soundcards gone, ive havent had this trouble with anything else on the pc. ive made sure that no heavy programs are running in the background.

im stumped at the mo and have no idea what to do. i think i might get a new soundcard i currently have a live 1024 - nothing great but it does the trick....well sorta....

wen i get home, ill post the snippet of the mp3 with the distortion.

MangaFish
26-10-2005, 08:55 PM
do you have any periodic / schedualed programs like virus scans / quick search / etc? have you turned the screen saver off?
sound card shouldnt be a problem because recording a audio stream uses very little audio processing power. RAM possibly could be an issue depending on of computer specs (like processer speed, what programs and services are installed / running and what operating system you're running), however even as little as 256MB would work so long as you dont have much open in the background, windows XP with the stupid themes, stupid sound schemes etc.

doc12inch
26-10-2005, 10:03 PM
my pcs got 512 worth of ram - quick amd processor (cant remember off hand) so i cant see the prob. i do have a virus scan that runs but at 3am in the morning. heres a sample of it kicking in and then jsut stopping for no reason. i also restarted the pc so i would have a fresh start so nothing could mess it up http://www.doc12inch.co.uk/temper/distortion.mp3

Evil G
26-10-2005, 10:13 PM
sounds like a cpu or pci bus contention problem.

is automatic windows update turned off?

is disk indexing service turned off?

is there anything sharing an IRQ with your sound card?

doc12inch
27-10-2005, 01:12 PM
sounds like a cpu or pci bus contention problem.

is automatic windows update turned off?

is disk indexing service turned off?

is there anything sharing an IRQ with your sound card?

i have got auto update on and i have indexing on yep.

i have been told aswell that my a/v needs to exclude scanning of wavs.

ill dble chk the irq settings.

thanks for the help.

MangaFish
27-10-2005, 02:05 PM
i have got auto update on and i have indexing on yep.

that was what i was driving at when i asked about periodic / scheduled programs ;)

schlongfingers
13-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Hmmm random shot, but mobile phone ringing when recording?

doc12inch
13-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Hmmm random shot, but mobile phone ringing when recording?

ive got it all sorted now.

i made a small partition and record ll my stuff to that.

glad it sorted now - was doing my head in

278d7e64a374de26f==