PDA

View Full Version : What was the best set you ever saw/heard?

SlavikSvensk
27-10-2005, 06:26 PM
by whom and what made it so special?

SlavikSvensk
28-10-2005, 12:28 AM
come on people!

g
28-10-2005, 02:38 AM
probably d may at the metroplex anniversary party, detroit.. i think it was '96. or else the first time i saw him at the music institute in 1988. that was of course life changing.

there were also some extremely memorable richie hawtin sets in the early-mid 90's. only in detroit. or the first plastikman performance in 94.

why? becuase for those hours nothing else in the world mattered.

SlavikSvensk
28-10-2005, 05:49 AM
were you at sickness and recovery, by any chance?

one of the best i've seen was the first time i heard steve rachmad. this was in amsterdam in 1997, he was on 3 decks and was mind blowing. i've seen him since and he's been solid, but nothing like that time.

The Overfiend
28-10-2005, 07:24 AM
Glenn Frisca @ Limelight circa the mid 90's

g
28-10-2005, 07:39 AM
were you at sickness and recovery, by any chance?
yup. mills and hawtin in the middle of a field. who woulda thunk it.

Jak O'Lantern and Jak's Bak and Jak 6 and a few others kicked it's butt tho =)
and then there was the Free Barn Party...
or The Lodge. oh mama.

Stella Boy
28-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Frank De Wulf in 1993 with 1500 nutters going mental to the acid, trance & hardcore he was dropping, finishing his 1st set of the night with moby's thousand.

Derrick May & DJ Huggy at back to basics. It was just one of those nights where everything clicked :cool:

DJ Bone a few years ago and I just remember the way he moulded Man With The Red face so seamlesly with Jaguar - the place just went mental

SlavikSvensk
28-10-2005, 04:28 PM
another couple from me:

derrick may at some really sh**y bar in pontiac michigan in 1996. he played all house but it was electric.
laurent garnier at the end in london 1997. 7.5 hours, he played eveything.

DrewDavid
28-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Derrick May at the first DEMF - what was that, 2001? He started the set off with James Brown The Payback and ended it with a freestyle by the last remaining member of The Last Poets. When GrooveTech was still around, they had Realplayer video and audio archives including this particular set by May - I used to watch it over and over because I was amazed at the dexterity and variety of music played.

g
28-10-2005, 08:14 PM
heh.. i remember the first few bars of James Brown coming over the PA.. :)

speaking of, while it was his typical non-DJ DJing style, Carl Craig's set at Fuse-In this year was really special. first time back at the fest since You Know When, evening slot on the waterfront and he just played a bunch of kickass tracks. the joint went off.

SlavikSvensk
28-10-2005, 08:20 PM
haven't heard carl in years...probably would appreciate it more now that last time. the older i get, the more i appreciate mixes made for the tracks rather than the skillz...

drift9
29-10-2005, 05:38 AM

YES--that garneir set was truly something. funny, was just thinking about it earlier today.

other toppers for me would have to be richie's last set at twilo and jeff mills in kalamazoo, mich at the end of the 90's.

MARKEG
29-10-2005, 06:17 AM
jeff mills - tribal gathering. but i just dont know the year!

i was almost crying. :)

tocsin
02-11-2005, 05:48 PM
DJ Scribble doing the slot before a particularly bland Chemical Borthers live PA in NYC at the Roxy in 1996. Mixed everything but the kitchen sink together and did DJ tricks up the ass. Ended up stealing the show from the Chemical Brothers and packing the floor more than they did as well.

g
02-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Autechre live, detroit and toronto, early 1996.
a richie hawtin set @ Alvin's in detroit sometime in the 90's -- he played 100% house
D Wynn at that corner bar on jefferson.. is it an irish pub or an oyster bar? again, some misc time in the 90's
Every night at the first incarnation of.. what was it called, Flow?... sam & dean's night above Nikki's, fall/winter 1995.
DJ Bone in the Subject Detroit studios, May 2005. drunk as a skunk, audience of 4 or 5. =)

Serendipity
05-11-2005, 10:04 AM
another couple from me:

Did you happen to catch Jeff Mills utterly destroy the main room that night? (12th Feb 97)
That's my most memorable performance - totally out of control. :twisted:

JamieBall
05-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Jeff Mills vs Basic Channel at Lost years back.

Stupid. Just STUPID.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

SlavikSvensk
06-11-2005, 07:52 AM
another couple from me:

Did you happen to catch Jeff Mills utterly destroy the main room that night? (12th Feb 97)
That's my most memorable performance - totally out of control. :twisted:

you know, i think it was actually in early 1998, as i moved to london in august of 1997... i wasn't at the feb night

Serendipity
06-11-2005, 09:30 AM
Boo!

SlavikSvensk
06-11-2005, 05:30 PM
sounds killer though...i assume you and i were at a lot of the same nights back then...how about kevin saunderson at that crappy overdone place in angel in 1998? jeff mills at lost nov 1998? other nights?

Serendipity
10-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Zillions. Never saw saunderson at The Complex (which is what I assume you're referring to when you say "that crappy overdone place in angel" - incidentally, I think it was one of Londons best ever Techno venues, but anyway :lol: ) but spent many, many nights there. Mills at Lost in Nov 98, you must have the wrong year - he was boycotting the U.K at that time, and his 1st gig back was at Mass in Feb 99 - perhaps you mean in 97, in the awesome Royal Victoria Docks venue? (With Broom and Autechre in Room 2, and Tanaka also in the main room?) Absolutely seminal night, I wish that many, many, many of the "younger generation" of techno fans could have been there, it was that much of a milestone for what Techno is all about. Pure class, and back then, nobody could touch Mills, nor Lost for that matter. :clap: :love:
I have too many massive nights that shine in my memory, every Lost since 97, Club UK, Complex, Sabresonic, Strutt, Analogue City, Eurobeat 2000, Ultimate Base...the list is absolutely endless.

SlavikSvensk
10-11-2005, 09:26 PM
yeah i did get that wrong...i mean in nov 97...the time you mention with fumiya tanaka and with autechre in the lounge area...that was a hell of a night, for sure

for some reason i seem to have dyslexia about 97 and 98...yarg...BUT...on the boycott thing...i did happen to see him spin at this internet cafe on golden square where he was also displaying some of his purposemaker photos, and i'm almost certain that was in spring 1998...though it wasn't a club...

and yes, the complex. my problem with the place was not the djs...i also saw joey beltram spin a good set there, as well as advent live another time...i just found the space itself overdone...always thought it was a bit too much for my tastes...my favorite at the time was the end...

i was at ultimate base every week...one of the yank students who got there before 9 to beat the cover ;)

man, those were the DAYS, bro!

speed-it-up
28-11-2005, 04:36 PM
The Complex was OK - saw Mills down there and can just remember seeing steam pouring out of a side door and 7am daylight creeping into the place.

However, Sven Vath at Orbit in Leeds 1995 ish seeing people hanging from the balcony pumping their fists like their lives depended on it or
Luke Slater at Glastonbury (199?) top the list.

teknorich
29-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Slightly off topic - that´s the first I ever heard of a Mills UK boycott. What was that all about??

rca
29-11-2005, 04:18 PM
1. Jeff Mills @ Tribal Gathering 1997: Kraftwerk then Mills? Heaven. Millls was sublime. The event was the beginning of the end...

2. Daft Punk @ Tribal Gathering 1996: No one had heard of Daft Punk, the tent was half empty and i witnessed the best live set to date. Blew everyone away with a full on techno assault. They never reproduced that sound in any of there tracks or matched that performance. They did an essential mix that was dire and lost the plot years ago.

3. Sasha @ Space, Ibiza 1995. He played in the inside room which was then brilliant and played 3 hours of acid house, it was amazing.

4. Speedy J @ Atomic Jam, Q-Club 2002?. A live set via 2 x SU700. It was ridicules. Hawtin came on after and it was embarrassing.

5. Dave Clarke @ Atomic Jam, Q-Club 1997. A white screen and 1 DC, blinding! Followed by Chris Liberator who also played a blinder! Came out and was told Diane was dead....

6. DJ Rush & Beyer @ The End, London 1997?. Think it was 1997. DJ RUSH followed by 3 hours of 3 deck magic, by the then master, Beyer.

7. Adam Beyer @ The Orbit, Morley. NYE 1998?, Again, think it was 1998. Beyer was electric, IMHO his best ever performance.

8. Riche Hawtin @ Cocoon - Amnesia, Ibiza 2002. A blinder, finished off with his own rendition of 'Dark & Long' and room went ballistic.

9. Darren Emerson @ Bugged Out, Liverpool 1999 - Emerson came on after DC who had come on after LS live set. Given LS live set was brilliant, he played a fantastic set to end the night. The other room Derrick May has cleared the dance floor, again.

10. Iain Von Trapp (RIP) @ Anywhere. Every time I heard Iain played learnt something. A true innovator and a true inspiration.

Nothing in the last 5 years has really inspired be and as for minimal 'ket' techno...hhmmm

The Divide
17-12-2005, 12:57 AM
Slightly off topic - that´s the first I ever heard of a Mills UK boycott. What was that all about??

It was because someone threw a bottle of water at his mate Laurent garnier at the orbit one night I think. If my memory serves me rightly I heard this in the superconductor telephone interview he did

audiostatic
12-01-2006, 02:50 PM
Jeff Mills vs Basic Channel at Lost years back.

Stupid. Just STUPID.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Top nite dude :) very

Axis party @ LoSt in 95 I think :cheese: Robert Hood live then mills what great party :)

The Overfiend
16-01-2006, 07:49 AM
Green Velvet @ Limelight 2001 I believe.

SlavikSvensk
16-01-2006, 06:16 PM
Green Velvet @ Limelight 2001 I believe.

sh*t...where the f*** was i?? was living in nyc then, went to limelight tons...not sure how i missed that...doh

saw him in detroit in 96 and in boston in 98...awesome...

Alan Oldham
06-02-2006, 08:18 AM
Dave Clarke @ DEMF 2002
Carl Cox @ Motor, Detroit 1999
Jeff Mills @ Tribal Gathering, London 1997
Richie Hawtin @ From Our Minds To Yours, Detroit 2001
Troy Pierce @ Weekend, Berlin 2005

ds2
06-02-2006, 10:52 AM
mills @ tg 97
mills @ orbit 93-98 everytime
grooverider + nipper @ phobia leeds 92? ish
frank de wulf @ ark leeds 92
oscar mulero @ darkside march 2004
dj bone @ innercity records birthday party leeds 1999

don't get out of leeds much :oops:

paper
20-02-2006, 06:52 AM
A few to mention. I wasn't at either josh wink/dave clarke essential mix or speedy j haffentunnel 1200bpm oh and Anthony Rother sonne mond sterne but they are my favorite recordings I have
Plastikman at phoenix 96 and kraftwerk march 2005 were prob my most treasured. Plastikman in 96 was at a time when we are all finishing school and that was "the summer" most of my mates at phoenix wanted to see indie and i fully found dance music on my own and I think phoenix was a lucky break, the line up was amazing

fac
22-03-2006, 05:39 PM
surgeon @ 12 years tresor (march 03)

not very old but my first time at tresor and ill never forget it. just the perfect set for me. old stuff, fresh stuff (actual at 2003) and some of his unique reworks. i still enjoy listening to it nowadays.

Davin
28-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Derrick May at the first DEMF - what was that, 2001? He started the set off with James Brown The Payback and ended it with a freestyle by the last remaining member of The Last Poets. When GrooveTech was still around, they had Realplayer video and audio archives including this particular set by May - I used to watch it over and over because I was amazed at the dexterity and variety of music played.

Thats a deadly set alright!! Wouldnt be May's best but tune selection was amazing!!

I dont know if its the very best one I have ever seen but it's definitely up there and for that reason deserves a mention..................Kan Shinomura - Live @ The Village, Dublin

The lad ****in' rocked the place, wasn't expecting it at all!!! :clap:

Serendipity
19-04-2006, 03:25 PM

It was because someone threw a bottle of water at his mate Laurent garnier at the orbit one night I think. If my memory serves me rightly I heard this in the superconductor telephone interview he did

Not quite.
He wasn't happy with the way he was treated at U.K immigration, was complaining of being detained for unnecessary periods of time, every time.

davethedrummer
11-06-2006, 01:38 AM
ritchie hawtin as plastikman
megadog , brixton academy , 1995

a random guy turned round to me half way through and said
"this is f%%cking brilliant !!!!"

all i could do was nod

it was just too brilliant for words

davethedrummer
11-06-2006, 01:39 AM

Not quite.
He wasn't happy with the way he was treated at U.K immigration, was complaining of being detained for unnecessary periods of time, every time.

yeah i remeber that one

davethedrummer
11-06-2006, 01:47 AM
1. Jeff Mills @ Tribal Gathering 1997: Kraftwerk then Mills? Heaven. Millls was sublime. The event was the beginning of the end...

2. Daft Punk @ Tribal Gathering 1996: No one had heard of Daft Punk, the tent was half empty and i witnessed the best live set to date. Blew everyone away with a full on techno assault. They never reproduced that sound in any of there tracks or matched that performance. They did an essential mix that was dire and lost the plot years ago.

3. Sasha @ Space, Ibiza 1995. He played in the inside room which was then brilliant and played 3 hours of acid house, it was amazing.

4. Speedy J @ Atomic Jam, Q-Club 2002?. A live set via 2 x SU700. It was ridicules. Hawtin came on after and it was embarrassing.

5. Dave Clarke @ Atomic Jam, Q-Club 1997. A white screen and 1 DC, blinding! Followed by Chris Liberator who also played a blinder! Came out and was told Diane was dead....

6. DJ Rush & Beyer @ The End, London 1997?. Think it was 1997. DJ RUSH followed by 3 hours of 3 deck magic, by the then master, Beyer.

7. Adam Beyer @ The Orbit, Morley. NYE 1998?, Again, think it was 1998. Beyer was electric, IMHO his best ever performance.

8. Riche Hawtin @ Cocoon - Amnesia, Ibiza 2002. A blinder, finished off with his own rendition of 'Dark & Long' and room went ballistic.

9. Darren Emerson @ Bugged Out, Liverpool 1999 - Emerson came on after DC who had come on after LS live set. Given LS live set was brilliant, he played a fantastic set to end the night. The other room Derrick May has cleared the dance floor, again.

10. Iain Von Trapp (RIP) @ Anywhere. Every time I heard Iain played learnt something. A true innovator and a true inspiration.

Nothing in the last 5 years has really inspired be and as for minimal 'ket' techno...hhmmm

like the sound of these gigs
wish i had been there
but i do know about the chris liberator gig at atomic jam , in fact he played with jeff mills there once too , amazing to think of it now isn't it?

djfilthmonger
15-06-2006, 12:52 AM
the best gig i have seen would have to be chris liebeng and speedy j at i love techno 2005. but it was fukin A. 4 hours of heaven

djfilthmonger
15-06-2006, 12:53 AM
the best gig i have seen would have to be chris liebeng and speedy j at i love techno 2005. but it was fukin A. 4 hours of heaven

A.P.
15-06-2006, 01:30 AM
On the technical side of things - Jerome Hill (a few years ago now, cant remember where...hehe!)

rhythmtech
15-06-2006, 02:21 AM
kektex at some squat near brick lane 97/98.. lawrie had just gotten the rig back from hackney council.. only time i've ever seen em do a live thing... fukin mental.

lawrie playin his first pounding grooves live set at eurobeat 2000

green velvet at the POD in dublin around 99/2000

and my first ever gig.. chris lib's first time playin dublin.

force
17-06-2006, 12:39 PM
ritchie hawtin as plastikman
megadog , brixton academy , 1995

a random guy turned round to me half way through and said
"this is f%%cking brilliant !!!!"

all i could do was nod

it was just too brilliant for words

I was there for that. And may well have been the bloke that spoke to you!!!!

It was one of my all time favourite sets. F**king 808 snares and strobes all over the place.
When i found my mates afterwards, we were like, 'Oh my f**ckin lord what the f*ck just happened there'

drum303
25-06-2006, 05:51 AM
Mr. rca should get an honorary black belt in techno. His favorites list is impressive.

Mine is...
Daft Punk at even furthur. Wisconsin USA 26.05.96
Hyperactive, Chicago. 18.01.96
Aphex Twin, Wisconsin. 30.04.94

See the video clips of my favorites at www.runningoutof.com

romelpotter
25-06-2006, 03:49 PM
Jeff Mills, DJ T100 and Speedy J - All @ Tribal Gathering '97 I had managed to lose all 40 of my mates that I had pilled down with, and just spent the last 6 hrs moving between the arctic and detroit tents. Mills was awsome, when he dropped Changes of life (danny shivers hehe). This was also the first time i had herd Alan DJ, and the Speedy track that will forever remind me of that day - Pannik one of the best times of my life

dubs
06-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Jeff Mills @ Apollo Festival.

I'd never seen a DJ play so many records with such class. Inspirational :)

More recently Juan Atkins 7hr set @Seven. Class from start to finish. From dub to detroit.

Jay Pace
06-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Hawtin at Glade festival last summer was the most fun I've had in ages.

Before that Jeff Mills at Lost at the lighthouse was a seminal party for me. Brutal, funky, soulful - so many different styles in a set. He crawled back on stage after it finished so that nobody could see him, then jumped up out of nowhere holding a record up in the air, wee alien head grinning and eyes bogglin. I was so impressed. Such showmanship...

Difficult though, can remember leaving clubs on so many occassions thinking "that was the best thing ever" but then can't remember anything afterwards. Quite nice leaving places now with a good idea of what just happened.

davemelt
19-12-2006, 12:22 AM
colin favor at nocturnal up in the north east on friday 13th 1991

unreal

davethedrummer
15-01-2007, 09:58 PM
Hawtin at Glade festival last summer was the most fun I've had in ages.

Before that Jeff Mills at Lost at the lighthouse was a seminal party for me. Brutal, funky, soulful - so many different styles in a set. He crawled back on stage after it finished so that nobody could see him, then jumped up out of nowhere holding a record up in the air, wee alien head grinning and eyes bogglin. I was so impressed. Such showmanship...

Difficult though, can remember leaving clubs on so many occassions thinking "that was the best thing ever" but then can't remember anything afterwards. Quite nice leaving places now with a good idea of what just happened.

thats weird
i went to that mills gig i think , was it the one with fumiya tanaka supporting him ? and colin dale/favor in the side room?

i thought it was terrible!
maybe i just didn't catch the vibe i don't know..

neko
15-01-2007, 11:11 PM
mine would definately have to be richie hawtin@amnesia, ibiza.
Cocoon club, september 2003.
was my first time seein hawtin and it absolutely blew me away.
he did a 6hr set and he banged it. i didnt know it was him at first cus i'd only ever known him with a skinhead and glasses.
was around the time his 'do made a debut! :laughing:
when he dropped technasia - acid storm, it was a moment i'll always remember. place was full of germans going absolutely crazy, im getting goosebumps thinking about it, i love it! :cheese:

Roxy Trip
15-01-2007, 11:45 PM
rob hood at manchester warehouse project last year !! mind blowing, every tune got better and better and was gutted when it finished, hope to see more of him!

also thomas krome @ dark side the year before, dirty pounding techno. :cheese:

hope to travel more this year to see more really good dj's at work

Frank Dogshit
15-01-2007, 11:52 PM
Carl Cox@Space Closing Party 2000 (when coxy was good,8 hours of pure nailing it)
Dj Rush@Voodoo,Le Batuea 2001
Hawtin@Cocoon 2003
Steve Rachmad@Awakenings,April 2006
Laurent Garnier 5 hours set in the Annexe@Bugged Out 2000 maybe?

Traxx
16-01-2007, 07:38 AM
Wasnt the garnier thing when cream re-opend in nation? he did 2 all nighters in annexe for cream im sure.

xes
16-01-2007, 09:02 AM
I can't remember the best set I ever heard,and that's just how it should be. :;

One that definatly sticks in my mind was Mark EG at helter skelter,strings of life 1997. It could have been the acid,it could have been the pills,but when ever i hear that tape,I get proper flashbacks of a mad night.

I think alot of sets I've heard,especially at free parties,I ain#'t got a clue who's playing,so it'd be hard to tell you. I know the exodus parties kicked out some rocking sets. :cool:

neko
16-01-2007, 09:02 AM
also thomas krome @ dark side the year before, dirty pounding techno. :cheese:

thats an beast that set, pounders from start to finish.
i weren't there but i've got the set at home.

Roxy Trip
16-01-2007, 04:29 PM
thats an beast that set, pounders from start to finish.
i weren't there but i've got the set at home.

yeah the 2 hour set. i got given it recently too after trying to hunt it down for ages ! even tho the mixin is a bit ropey in places, the tunes are just damn right dirty :cheese:

Mucky Beats
17-01-2007, 03:24 PM
On the technical side of things - Jerome Hill (a few years ago now, cant remember where...hehe!)

orange peel ? i had him on at compressed in 2005

Mucky Beats
17-01-2007, 03:26 PM
Bests set for me would be Dave Clarke @ Bugged Out in 2000 and green velvet followed by ben sims @ voodoo in 2000 or 2001 ...them where good days!

basslinejunkie
17-01-2007, 03:52 PM
bugged out used to be superb eh

Roxy Trip
17-01-2007, 04:40 PM
orange peel ? i had him on at compressed in 2005

im sure thats the one he didnt turn up ??? in may ?

neko
17-01-2007, 06:13 PM
bugged out used to be superb eh

did u go to voodoo at le bateau as well mate?

Mucky Beats
17-01-2007, 06:15 PM
im sure thats the one he didnt turn up ??? in may ?

it was june 2005 it was mike humphries and jerome hill headlining deffo both turned up tho he he

Tiptoe
17-01-2007, 06:24 PM
best set trevor rockliffe at dreamscape 25

dbit
17-01-2007, 08:45 PM
UR/Galaxy 2 Galaxy Live @ Fuse-In, Detroit '05

Plastikman Live @ Spastik, Detroit '94

Hearing the UR/Galaxy 2 Galaxy set live @ Hart Plaza was pure magic. I was with great friends who I grew up on their music with. It was just surreal to experience.

The Plastikman/Spastik show was just one of those completely unforgettable mindfvcks that changed a lot of lives and the face of Detroit Techno forever. I just remember it felt like the proverbial bubble popped and for better or worse things would never be the same again. Such a hot party/set!

basslinejunkie
17-01-2007, 10:17 PM
did u go to voodoo at le bateau as well mate?

nah,we ventured down once,but coz there was a big troop of us,the bouncers wouldnt let us in!! :(

katya
17-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Dave Clarke @ DEMF 2002
Carl Cox @ Motor, Detroit 1999
Jeff Mills @ Tribal Gathering, London 1997
Richie Hawtin @ From Our Minds To Yours, Detroit 2001
Troy Pierce @ Weekend, Berlin 2005

shout out from the CHI! Just saw Pierce this weekend, most likely incomparable to the berlin show though..

katya
17-01-2007, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=dbit;488766]

Hearing the UR/Galaxy 2 Galaxy set live @ Hart Plaza was pure magic. I was with great friends who I grew up on their music with. It was just surreal to experience.

Life changing - highlight of that weekend for sure - I never thought I'd see them live... magic is the right word (I have most of it on video)

DannyBlack
18-01-2007, 05:40 PM
mine has to be 'ignition technician' live in the forum waterford a couple of years back. it was an absolutely kicking night and he gave out records at the end. top bloke and a top DJ!

SlavikSvensk
18-01-2007, 06:33 PM
a few for me. first time i saw jeff mills, first time i saw steve rachmad (and didn't know who he was at the time), and first time i saw laurent garnier come to mind

DannyBlack
19-01-2007, 12:32 PM
mine has to be 'ignition technician' live in the forum waterford a couple of years back. it was an absolutely kicking night and he gave out records at the end. top bloke and a top DJ!

just to add to that, the best mix i ever heard on cd was 'agro mark myu' no idea where he played it, but it is savage.

francois
23-02-2007, 11:13 PM
Dave hayles in club so! dublin '92, dropped a promo of acperience, then followed it wit teardrop explodes reward, best bit of carnage tunage i ever heard, followed by DJ vibe in the kremlin portugal

prozac
25-02-2007, 01:27 AM
Surgeon-Food For Thought mix

Robson
03-02-2010, 02:45 PM
dj sy nye to the millenium helter skelter. buzzin hardcore set!!!

eppertheleper
12-02-2010, 03:21 PM
derrick may at some really sh**y bar in pontiac michigan in 1996. he played all house but it was electric.
You sure that wasn't 1997? We went to see May at some shitty bar that I thought was in Pontiac. They ended up clearing out all the tables in the whole place to make more room for people to dance. It had a downstairs hip hop area that I remember because it's the first time I saw somebody use a telephone handset as headphones. May ripped that place to shreds that night. Hawtin was there, I remember the door guy was really excited about it.

YES--that garneir set was truly something. funny, was just thinking about it earlier today.

other toppers for me would have to be richie's last set at twilo and jeff mills in kalamazoo, mich at the end of the 90's.That Mills set was epic. Claude Young was supposed to spin that party, but he didn't even get started until the sun came up because Mills stayed on so long. That party also had the Surgeon, Traxx, and some other big names I think. Black Nation party, right? Dave Clarke was sick as hell at the Motor the night before.

For me it would have to be Acid Pimp at a Detor party in Ypsilanti, Michigan. Maybe not the greatest set ever, but it changed my life.

The Overfiend
12-02-2010, 04:46 PM
DJ Scribble doing the slot before a particularly bland Chemical Borthers live PA in NYC at the Roxy in 1996. Mixed everything but the kitchen sink together and did DJ tricks up the ass. Ended up stealing the show from the Chemical Brothers and packing the floor more than they did as well.

Scribble was no joke those days, he had a lot to prove because no one would let him live down his Hot 97 hip hop image

Loop
17-02-2010, 03:43 AM
For me it was all about the locals, Paul C, Idge, Paddy, Twitch and Brianstorm, Peter James, and any of the Pillbox and Dogma nights all slayed hard.

Technologic
01-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Zillions. Never saw saunderson at The Complex (which is what I assume you're referring to when you say "that crappy overdone place in angel" - incidentally, I think it was one of Londons best ever Techno venues, but anyway :lol: ) but spent many, many nights there. Mills at Lost in Nov 98, you must have the wrong year - he was boycotting the U.K at that time, and his 1st gig back was at Mass in Feb 99 - perhaps you mean in 97, in the awesome Royal Victoria Docks venue? (With Broom and Autechre in Room 2, and Tanaka also in the main room?) Absolutely seminal night, I wish that many, many, many of the "younger generation" of techno fans could have been there, it was that much of a milestone for what Techno is all about. Pure class, and back then, nobody could touch Mills, nor Lost for that matter. :clap: :love:
I have too many massive nights that shine in my memory, every Lost since 97, Club UK, Complex, Sabresonic, Strutt, Analogue City, Eurobeat 2000, Ultimate Base...the list is absolutely endless.

Wasn't the Lost party at the Lighthouse on the docklands?

Was there for that. Another fantastic Lost was NYE with Jay Denham at a warehouse somewhere in East London. There was an other NYE party in a theatre somewhere, can't remember for the life of me the venue though.

Used to love the Complex, cut my teeth in that place. Carl Cox releasing Fact 2, Gayle San, Mills, Billy Nasty, CJ Bolland, Liberators closing with Eurobeat 2000, the Complex was THE techno club of the time imo.

Izz
01-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Ben Sims debut at The Orbit (1999) - Amazing!

Laurent Garnier at Bugged out (98 though im damned if i remember the eiffel tower hats?)

DJ Sneak at Bugged out - Phat and chunky house with a dash of techno. Used to ****ing love this guy.

278d7e64a374de26f==