PDA

View Full Version : Recording from drum machine to cubase..

Milesy
28-10-2005, 12:13 AM
When using my drum machine I have my drum loops all playing and eq'd nicely within
the hardware itself... I then record each drum part seperately keeping their own
eq and effect elements etc.. but when i play them back in cubase they sound
awfull and muddy as hell ..

any ideas?

SlavikSvensk
28-10-2005, 12:32 AM
why don't you, instead of recording the sounds individually, hook the machine into cubase as midi and then export it as an audio loop? not sure it will solve the problem, but worth a shot...

...what drum machine is it, btw, and what are you using to input the sounds into your CPU?

Milesy
28-10-2005, 12:38 AM
why don't you, instead of recording the sounds individually, hook the machine into cubase as midi and then export it as an audio loop? not sure it will solve the problem, but worth a shot...

...what drum machine is it, btw, and what are you using to input the sounds into your CPU?

I am using midi.. Its a korg electribe emx1 and im recording though a m-audio ozone
midi controller/sound card

I am recording them individually because I want to be able to apply delay and reverb
on the drum sounds individually.

tekara
28-10-2005, 04:29 AM
are you sequencing through the electribe or are you sequencing through your software?

Try drawing in the notes on the computer instead of designing the pattern on the box.

Maybe that would help. Its worth a shot

SlavikSvensk
28-10-2005, 06:26 AM
got another idea...it might be that it's recording the sound of the machine with the computer's internal microphone instead of a line-in. are you using a pc or a mac?

FILTERZ
28-10-2005, 02:58 PM
what bit rate /sampling rate are you recording at ?

Milesy
28-10-2005, 04:10 PM
are you sequencing through the electribe or are you sequencing through your software?

Try drawing in the notes on the computer instead of designing the pattern on the box.

Maybe that would help. Its worth a shot

Im sequencing in cubase.

got another idea...it might be that it's recording the sound of the machine with the computer's internal microphone instead of a line-in. are you using a pc or a mac?

Unfortunately not. Its a studio soundcard.

what bit rate /sampling rate are you recording at ?

44kHz, 16bit, stereo.

Im not sure if i was clear enough in what Im saying... The sound quality of
the recorded wav is perfect. But when I play the individual components back
together they are muddy with each other.. almost as if the electribe is a lot
better at playing back the sounds and Eqing them into their own space.

TechMouse
28-10-2005, 04:20 PM
How about if you try recording them all individually, but without any EQ / FX etc.?

Milesy
28-10-2005, 04:21 PM
thats even worse.. mud central lol

TechMouse
28-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Are you recording them through any FX? Anything at all?

SlavikSvensk
28-10-2005, 05:02 PM

Unfortunately not. Its a studio soundcard.

that might not matter, you know. i've had that problem with my fw410. tell me a bit abot your computer. mac or pc? is the soundcard internal or external? is there another audio interface (maybe original one that came with computer) still installed? are you using the most current drivers?

also, have you tried recording another instrument through the line in or midi? you should...if it sounds fine, you know the prob is with the electribe or how it communicates with the cpu. if it sounds crappy, then you know the prob is with the cpu or cubase.

acidsaturation
28-10-2005, 08:58 PM
Im not sure if i was clear enough in what Im saying... The sound quality of
the recorded wav is perfect. But when I play the individual components back
together they are muddy with each other.. almost as if the electribe is a lot
better at playing back the sounds and Eqing them into their own space.

I've had a similar problem with various bits of kit - I think yeah it'll sound better if I record all the parts seperately then eq in the computer but it doesn't...

Are you over processing it in the computer - ie trying to do too much, or is it something simple like when you put them together the summed output is just too loud - ie not enough headroom in the cubase mixer? It's a simple thing and hence maybe not thought of it but have you tried lowering the fader loads on the individual sounds when you mix them back in cubase and making sure you're cutting any bits out with the EQ that you don't need?

You can push loads of stuff together through a mixer (which essentailly will be what's inside the electrivbe to mix the sounds) and it'll sound ok (ish), but sometimes the same things at the same sort of volume in a software mixer does sound shite and muddy.

romelpotter
28-10-2005, 10:25 PM

I am using midi.. Its a korg electribe emx1 and im recording though a m-audio ozone
midi controller/sound card

I am recording them individually because I want to be able to apply delay and reverb
on the drum sounds individually.

If you have your drum machine hooked up via midi leads into your controller keybord and then recording your patterns then you will be recording midi not on note off data not audio wav's. The sound could be muffled or muddy because of the playback settings within your drum manchine or somewhere along the playback chain are set so. Check your resonance and filter settings becuae even if they are not engaged for normal playback they may be once midi data is fed back through the unit once the korg becomes a sound module.
you could also try replacing the midi leads for audio leads and take the feed from the korg out of the l+r jacks and plug directly into the unbalenced L+R jacks in the o zone controller keybord. record the patterns as mono wavs, then bounce down all the patterns to a stereo wav. hope this helps

Milesy
29-10-2005, 01:42 AM
again.. its not a problem with the actual wavs... sorry i know its confusing.

example.. i write a drum loop

record the hats to one audio channel
toms to another
rides to another.

each of these play back EXACTLY as the drum machine plays them... exactly.
but when i play everything together I need to eq everything in cubase again to get them
sitting in their own sonic space.

MajaBugg
09-12-2005, 11:30 PM
The audio channel that you record into has all the fx, Y/N
You will possibly need to copy the audio channel that has all the effects several times. Copy one for the toms, rides etc. Other than that, set up a fx channel and send all the recorded wavs to that.?

nervous systems
10-12-2005, 01:16 PM
how are you auditioning the electribe

278d7e64a374de26f==