PDA

View Full Version : Forlan

Will
31-10-2005, 02:03 AM
Arsenal are being linked to Forlan and if you look at it one way, him and Henry scored 50 league goals between them last season and Forlan has experience of the Prem and would know what he was letting himself in for if he decided to come (and Arsenal decided to buy him and agree a price).

But on the other hand he was laughably bad at Man U which would lead you to question his mentality and I don't know how he's doing this season, though I think Arsenal's style of football would suit him much better as well as Wenger management style, since he gives players more of a chance if he thinks they're good enough whereas Fergie drops players who don't perform.

I remember on an Arsenal board a fan posted the story then said "We'll take two." and used a 'wanker' smilie to show what he thought of the story, which I thought was quite funny... I mean we could definitely do with some more fire power and if he can keep scoring 25 league goals a season, that'd be great. I think he could compliment Henry quite well, since he's more of a withdrawn striker I'd have thought and Henry's at his best leading the line, plus he could score the goals in Henry's absence.

We really need someone who can compliment Henry as well as score in his absence, or else we won't be able to keep anyone decent happy with Henry being so reliable normally (which is why Baptista would have been so good, in theory). We haven't conceded many goals so far so if we'd scored a few more we'd be doing much better, but Reyes' and van Persie's finishing has been pretty woeful for the most part, maybe they feel 2nd rate next to Henry or something...

Of course there might not be much in the story, but Wenger seems to listen to Henry, so hopefully we'll bring in some more firepower and a replacement for Vieira - preferably who can score goals from midfield - and then we'll be looking much better.

The other trouble with Forlan is that he'd be cup tied for the CL, and we have no real hope of winning the prem, we've won the FA cup so often recently I'm becoming a bit blase and disinterested in it and although I'd like to win the Carling cup, it's no great prize and I'd hope our youngsters could pretty much do that on their own. I suppose it'd give him chance to bed in for next season and a good end to the season would be a confidence booster for next season, but that's about it and players tend to cost more in the winter (as well as most of the good ones being cup tied... so it's not a good time to buy really, though we certainly want Henry to sign a new contract asap).

I'd be especially interested to hear Man U fans thoughts on the matter, the player and the possibility of him coming to Arsenal (if you've read this far!), he is more of a withdrawn striker right?? If he scored 25 league goals from there it'd be very impressive, though if we could keep him happy playing him there when Henry was available without him scoring so much, then have him lead the line and score the goals in his absence it'd be something... though Henry could provide him with plenty of chances of course.

Will
31-10-2005, 02:06 AM
The other possible benefit would be if he did score the goals for us he'd have a point to prove against Man U and hopefully score a hatful against them, be interesting to see how he does against them for Villareal, don't think he scored in the first game did he?

Numeric
31-10-2005, 09:53 AM
No he didn't score in the first game against Villareal...

I always had time for Forlan, even though he took so long to score his first for Utd, once he did the goals started to trickle through, some spectacular strikes too. He scored a number of important goals during our last successfull Premiership campaign. Then the following campaign he was dropped whilst in form, which puzzled a lot of Utd fans, he didn't recover from that and was off-loaded...

I think Arsenal could do a lot worse, and agree he would appreciate Wenger's management style more than Sir Alex's. He is a similar player to Henry though, likes to fire from distance and score the prettier goals (just take a look at some of his goals for Villareal last season). Dunno like, it would be a hideous irony if he did sign for Arsneal and was successful...

Will
31-10-2005, 04:27 PM
Did he play well against Man U though? I like pretty goals, though someone who just puts the ball in the back of the net would be handy at times... Can't argue with 25 goals in a season though! Did he tend to partner someone like RVN for Man U or play up front on his own? And did/does he lead the line or play in behind someone for Villareal? If the latter, then he'd be great, though apparently it'd take a spectacular bid to get him, which could rule us out...

Numeric
02-11-2005, 12:23 PM
He used to play up-front with Van Nistelrooy, but in a slightly withdrawn position linkin the mid-field and forward play, that meant he could feed Ruud and have the oppertunity to take strikes from distance...

You could never fault his work ethic, he was always busy, and was really unlucky not to open his account with Utd sooner than he did...

french_og
02-11-2005, 03:40 PM
He also hasn't got he added pressure at Villareal like at Man Utd, he can just go out and enjoy the football more and knows he will keep his place where at Man Utd he was never really 1st or 2nd choice and knew he had to score to stand a chance of keeping his place.

There are also a lot of South Americans in the Villareal side so he probably feels more at home there. My girlfriend went to school with him and said he is a real family orintated person like most Uruguayans.

Will
03-11-2005, 03:59 AM
Your girlfriend went to school with him?? Is she Uraguayan too then?

french_og
03-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Yes, born in Montevideo!

Esox Lucius
03-11-2005, 09:48 AM
dieeeeeego oooooh ooooooh he came from uruguay to make the scousers cry.

forlan is class, united wasn't a right move for him.

Numeric
03-11-2005, 04:49 PM
yes indeed...

he'll always be remembered for the goals against Liverpool at Anfield, but his very late strike against Chelsea at Old Trafford that same season would have to be my personal fave, that goal kept our title hopes alive...

Will
03-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Which season was that again? Did you win the title that season?

Numeric
03-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Which season was that again? Did you win the title that season?

yeah mate, the last time we won it a couple of years back...

remember the Highbury game towards the end of the season? when Ruud shrugged off Campbell and chipped the keeper to score, then your boyz scored two soft goals and then Giggs went straight back up the park and levelled it...

man i was a nervous wreck that night...

awesome encounter...

Will
03-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Sounds like he scored an important goal then, have to wait and see if anything comes of it I guess.

278d7e64a374de26f==