PDA

View Full Version : bootlegs...give 'em the boot?

iron maiden
24-07-2003, 03:16 PM
this issue of bootlegs.
what do you folks think?
are they inspiring and contributing to the scene,
or are they raping and saturating it with creative copouts?

personally, i think the latter.
if i wanna hear a michael jackson tune, i want to see the dj taking a risk and mixing in the original.

to me, the majority of bootlegs are far from creative.
lazy procuction played by a lazy dj.

any comments?

i-ron

crime
24-07-2003, 03:19 PM
Are you Michael jackson? Is this why you hate bootlegs so much?

I think bootlegs are cool so long as the source material isn't michael jackson, or any other such rubbish, if it's a cool tune put in a new context then that's wicked...Pop will eat itself....

Jimfish
24-07-2003, 04:53 PM
it can be bloody difficult to get a track to fit in the mix anyway - in most cases it probably takes longer than doing a track from scratch - i wouldnt call it a cop out at all.. well it depend on individual cases - but you will find in a lot of cases it isnt as easy as you might think (to do it well, anyway)

DJZeMig_L
24-07-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm down 4 that m. Jackson or what ever (sorry I luv b.jean bassline :P )... donne smart and making it a new track in a different way is all good 2 me... what I don't get is this bla bla vs yada yada trend !?!
most of the stuff sound really out of key with each other... besides it all seems like a dj beatmatch 2 tracks and just recorded the output!! :?:

Z

Patrick DSP
24-07-2003, 08:01 PM
if it wasn't for razormaid bootleg remixes of depeche mode that i heard back in 89, i don't know what i'd be doing now.

for me bootlegs are great! not only does the original artist get confirmation that someone thought their original track was so good that someone else spent time and money to make a super limited press run.

i can't see how a bootleg and making a part of music history and becomming a collectors addition can be a bad thing for the scene.

-p.dsp

Col
24-07-2003, 08:29 PM
nah i personally dont like em, ripping off other peoples music isnt of any intrest to me.

ampassasinbirmingham
25-07-2003, 12:12 AM
in some cases they are just cheesy and horrible. but other non comercial bootlegs can be the bollocks.

lunatrick
25-07-2003, 12:16 AM
how about chester beattys 'bodyshower'....i am contemplating playing it on the weekend.....i think it's three, with the D.I.S.C.O sample in it...

The Divide
25-07-2003, 12:57 AM
Depends on what the artist as done to the origional sound to make it a new artform. I think its a good thing, sure its bending the rules a lil but then thats what I like about techno.

davethedrummer
25-07-2003, 07:34 AM
depends really
a bootleg is just like any other tune
either it has worth and it's good for that reason
or it's just crap.

ie: the bootleg of "changes of life" which was bloody horrible.

Esox Lucius
25-07-2003, 07:49 AM
I heard some fabulous booty/ghetto mixes of missy elliot - work it. :D

Usually bootlegs just sound like rubbish and usually spoil the original track totally.

davethedrummer
25-07-2003, 07:51 AM
yeah i got a great bootleg of ms dynamite (breaks track)
rocked my sox

Jimfish
25-07-2003, 08:16 AM
DSP: dont let adverse see that picture of his bird...

The Divide
25-07-2003, 10:36 AM
mahahhahahaha, funny pic.

Angrymann
25-07-2003, 02:12 PM
DSP - Do you mean Bootleg as in "Pirate copy of Original Material" , that's fine , I wouldn't have got half of my Pearl Jam stuff if it wasn't for bootlegs , but everyone else is talking about tracks like " Layo & Bushwakkers - Billy Jean" and the like , you may be too but I didn't read it as that.

I sometimes think they sound ok , but I never buy them cause I think the novelty factor wears off far too quickly. Using a sample or a section from another tune and making something else is cool but like someone else said those Cack V's Just as Cack tunes are pointless , go and listen to a dj do it.

crime
25-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Si Begg's beach boys thing was pretty cool... i'm into that kinda bootleg

Angrymann
25-07-2003, 03:20 PM
and Orbital - Halcyon + on+on with the Belinda Carlise sample. Not a bootleg but a feckin cool tune also played by Si Begg I believe.

iron maiden
25-07-2003, 05:07 PM
samples i don't have a problem with, like that si begg track (which is killer) and pop will eat itself. i don't consider those to be bootlegs. to me bootlegging doesn't pay homage to the original artist, as DSP has mentioned, because they don't see any of the cash. most artists get a little peeved...but is isn't about the issue of "pirating" for me. it just makes me sad to see bootlegs charted and outselling records of original material . i think fresh ideas are healthy art. like angrymann has pointed out...short playing lifeline of those tracks. the cover tune generation...as fun as the tunes may be, it is fast food music...

big mac, large fries, and billie jean! hahahaha!
(this idea is patented)

i-ron

davethedrummer
25-07-2003, 06:16 PM
i used to mix sique sique sputniks "love misslie f111" at 33 with raw 07
that was a good laugh and they worked together really well!
i've thought about just putting the 2 together and doing a limited release
but i can't be arsed with it really and anyway it's MY mix .
you gotta keep something up your sleeve.

anx
25-07-2003, 07:18 PM
how about chester beattys 'bodyshower'....i am contemplating playing it on the weekend.....i think it's three, with the D.I.S.C.O sample in it...

ewwwwww

iron maiden
25-07-2003, 09:04 PM
all my fun mixes work really well with all your hydraulix releases...your production level makes 80s tunes sound hot off the press :)

i-ron

go|plastic
26-07-2003, 01:31 AM
I recently heard a bootleg/remake/remix/whatever of Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit - called Smells Like Freeland...

The thing I liked about it was it mostly stayed true to the original song... along with Kurt's singing, original drum beat, guitar & bass riffs etc. which made it a lot less "cheesy" and... well..."disrespectful"... but it still had some really good arrangement and processing work in it...

What I'm trying to say is that if a remake of a certain song is done with taste it can be used to "revive" a feeling that the original had...

I'm really sorry for wasting your time with this... :(

davethedrummer
26-07-2003, 10:58 PM
all my fun mixes work really well with all your hydraulix releases...your production level makes 80s tunes sound hot off the press :)

i-ron

(does that mean my productions are so shit that even old 80's tunes sound good when they are compared to them?)
(like billie jean for example or the theme from miami vice by jan hammer!!!!!!!)

or is this a comp..?
i'll take this as a compliment ( i think) hehe

but if i hear another bootleg of billie jean i'll eat my socks
and that nirvana thing should be totally shoved up the guys ass. (on 12")
(no lube)
sorry i can't get my head round that at all it's just turd. (heheheh)
usually i wouldn't say that but for this track i make an exception.
sorry sorry.

Sunil
26-07-2003, 11:07 PM
one that i initially hated that i grew to like was "You Spin me" by Dead or Alive, the one that was reputedly remixed by Jeff Mills. I remember when I was a kid, the lead singer (Pete Burns) from Dead or Alive used to freak me out, I was actually scared of him when that video would come on!
Ok then I'm a wuss, sorry :0

Sunil
26-07-2003, 11:09 PM
I really liked the Crockett's Theme remixes, Tiga's Vox mix was really good, as was Mateo Murphy's.

davethedrummer
26-07-2003, 11:10 PM
hhahahahaahahaha
i know what you mean!

pete burns was on tv the other day and he is well scary!

what a freak man.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Angrymann
28-07-2003, 10:35 AM
What's even freakier is he is happily MARRIED to a WOMEN. I mean each to their own but come on , it's a bit much when you can both play with each other's tits , is it not ( saying that ,my girlfriend can probaly claim mine are almost breasts , but mine are from beer , I didn't pay to have actual breasts).

It's still a good tune though. They tried to release a 2003 version and I almost cried , cause I had tracked down the original version from the late eighties and was gutted at the thought I would never be able to play it cause of the disgrace of a remix that they made. It was honestly the worst ever updated rework I have ever heard.

iron maiden
28-07-2003, 02:33 PM
yeah mr. cullen...it is a comp!! :) i meant when i mix 80s tunage with your tracks, it makes the 80s sound like a million bucks.

also,
two pictures i would like to see posted on this site:

1. that nirvana thing being shoved up that guys ass without lube

2. angrymann's man-breasts...with lube

hehehhehe
i-ron

Bughead
28-07-2003, 03:22 PM
Hi yiz...
My first post on this forum. Whoo hoo....
Anyway remix or bootleg, surely either way its paying homage to the original thus creating an interest in the original which can be of benefit for the original composer? Anyway the best stuff I heard was that knifehandchop remix stuff of Madonna. Gabber-esque. Nice
Peace .
Dez

Esox Lucius
28-07-2003, 03:28 PM
Dez, welcome mate :D

I know the knifey track you on about, class.

Bughead
28-07-2003, 03:34 PM
Cheers..
The other side of that argument is that you can poke fun at the corporations that own the rights and just generally piss them off. Either way its music at the end of the day and that's all that matters.

Peace

Dez

Angrymann
28-07-2003, 04:31 PM
First off I really have to question why on earth you would want to see my man-breasts , whether they were lubed up or not.

But like I said each to their own. As I don't currently have any images of my own breasts and no pictures of me lubed up in any form , I will have to persuade a decent enough photographer to come in and do them justice. But if you have a change of heart before I can arrange this , please post up on here and I will cancel the photographer,after all they will be similar in stature to anyone else's man-breasts to be honest and would only cause shock and in some cases possible death. :o :twisted:

Bughead
28-07-2003, 04:33 PM
Eh... I dont think I invited a look, but seeing how you are offering?........

;)

First off I really have to question why on earth you would want to see my man-breasts , whether they were lubed up or not.

But like I said each to their own. As I don't currently have any images of my own breasts and no pictures of me lubed up in any form , I will have to persuade a decent enough photographer to come in and do them justice. But if you have a change of heart before I can arrange this , please post up on here and I will cancel the photographer,after all they will be similar in stature to anyone else's man-breasts to be honest and would only cause shock and in some cases possible death. :o :twisted:

Angrymann
29-07-2003, 12:02 PM
It's cool man , you weren't the deviant in question. I have a habit of beginning to write posts , get sidetracked, then finish and send it , and by the time it's posted it's out of synch.

The pic's on it's way though , off to do a few press-ups first. :lol:

Bughead
29-07-2003, 12:09 PM
I reckon some sleeve covers or tshirts.....

:)

278d7e64a374de26f==