PDA

View Full Version : techno time

detfella
25-07-2003, 11:40 AM
How long does it take you guys to finish tracks?? On average it takes me about a day to finish the arrangement, then i leave it waiting on the HD until some magical day when i decide to mix it down.

professor
25-07-2003, 03:02 PM
some tracks I write in a day. Some take a week. The final mix usually take longer thean writing for me, because I think it's right then I'll bounce it to disk, listen to it in my car, and notice that something is wrong...etc.

davethedrummer
25-07-2003, 06:28 PM
i get most tracks done in a day
sometimes the final mastering takes a while
i tend to go away and listen to it and maybe remix it
if it needs it.
i reckon though the best thing to do is just finsh it.
i know so many talented people who just don't seem to be able to do this
and consequently never do release a record and no-one knows about them.
so get it done, and put it out. that way you'll know if it's right or not.
and you'll have some building blocks for the future

daviec
25-07-2003, 08:48 PM
It's good to hear others spend the same amount of time as me. I usually finish the arrangement in one big day and night session. I wondered if I was maybe hurrying it, but I feel if I've got the inspiration I should just get as much done as possible!

I should however probably spend a lot more time on the final mix and mastering :?

The Divide
26-07-2003, 01:14 AM
Depends with me. Sometimes it just happens realy quick. Its on mix down where i can get stumped for a while. I hate been on a track for too long, its the worst feeling when you feel kinda irritated buy how many times you have heard something. My advice would be to work fast and avoid been hypnotised by your own beats. Sometimes I mute the main channels on my track when working on other parts of it, unmuting and checking its still sitting. Then your not having the full thing played over and over. Always ask youself and others what they think. Its always great to have feedback from some one with squeegeed ears 8)

The Divide
26-07-2003, 01:18 AM
I am sure I once read in Future music that Umek could start, mix and master in half a day. Also speedy J could get a full track done in 6 hours. If he wrote tracks like 'panic' in 6 hours I would be suprised. Who knows...

herman
26-07-2003, 10:38 AM
it really depends how things are going but i have done stuff from start to finish in 45 minutes before (two of my biggest selling things they were as well :D ) but usually it takes me 3-6 hours to do a track with the more complex melodic detroity sounding stuff taking the longest. im definatly in agreement with mr drummer on the theory it's better to get it finished then to constantly tweek it over and over and i virtually never remaster it once the track is finished , think i have only done that maybe 5 or 6 times.

Col
26-07-2003, 11:19 AM
ive got about 10 tracks on the go, ive been trying to finish them for over a year.

i just feel there is always something missing, it really pisses me off. :evil:

davethedrummer
26-07-2003, 11:21 PM
finsh them mate
stop torturing yourself!

send them to me for a start i'll give you an opinion .
i'm sure everyone else would to.

MARKEG
27-07-2003, 06:22 PM
sometimes 3-6 hrs like herman, sometimes they can be on the desk for near enough 2 weeks!!! we're definitely getting quicker as time goes on though.

Col
27-07-2003, 09:37 PM
finsh them mate
stop torturing yourself!

send them to me for a start i'll give you an opinion .
i'm sure everyone else would to.

i will do mate once i figure how to upload my tracks, having loads of trouble with my webspace, and cant get my ftp address sorted, soon as its sorted ill put em up.

Jimfish
28-07-2003, 07:52 AM
I tell you its strange - my best 2 tracks were done in under 2 hours..
normally i spend about 6-8 hours on somthing - and parhaps more.
but the ones that just flow straight out without me even really getting a chance to think about it are always the best - i guess its cos im just 'feelin' em rather than thinking too much..

Orange
29-07-2003, 04:41 AM
I've been struggling to finish tracks too. Fortunately, I've had some free time to work on music this summer and I finished a couple of tracks. Finished them rather quickly as well. Each within 24hrs for the basic track. Another day fixing odds and ends. Seems slow compared to others on the board, but then rather quick when compared to anything else I've done (zero). That I had them done in a day I think is important for their completion. Too long spent listening to the same track, I think, may lead to bordom with the sounds and loss of feeling for the vibe. That's what I think might be my prob. Mental barrier too, I'm guessing. Sometimes you just have to do certain things before you realize you can do certain things.

The Divide
29-07-2003, 12:22 PM
Too long spent listening to the same track, I think, may lead to bordom with the sounds and loss of feeling for the vibe. That's what I think might be my prob. Mental barrier too, I'm guessing. Sometimes you just have to do certain things before you realize you can do certain things

Totaly, this was the problem I was having. I would keep changing the riffs and altering the tune all the time. The finnished tune would sound nothing like the first riff I take to SX. I organised my p.c out and deleted all the crap samples I had and placed all the good ones in folders. Made the thing look tidy in general, sounds a bit obvious but ****ing ell it made things a lot better. Funny now, coz at coll I know some lads that make breakbeat tracks, i was looking on there p.c. What a nightmare, some realy good sounds on there but everything was all over place. Realy makes things harder for youself when you dont know where things are on the p.c.

audioinjection
30-07-2003, 04:12 PM
damn, sometimes it takes me a few days to finish a track, not counting the mixdown, but i like to take my time on my music, never finish in a hurry. Mixdown is what I spend most of my time on.

Col
30-07-2003, 11:18 PM
took some inspiration from the previous posts (you know i finish a track in 10 mins sort of thing!) i must of got jealous or something but ive almost completed a track(within 2 days....well at least im catching up!) and im reasonably happy with it!

just got to add a few finishing touches, and get down to mixing/mastering...oh shit!

post it as soon as i sort my webspace conflict :wink:

detfella
31-07-2003, 06:40 PM
lots of replies :shock:

I agree with the sorting things route. I've stripped my pc of all the shite and sorted out samples onto CDs, deleted all my techno mixes :roll: . From that point on, everything runs like clockwork and its now a fully functioning techno music factory :)

I'm sending off my first ever batch of tracks this week, probably hear nothing, but i just wanna get the ball rolling. Is the best route sending them off to distributers or to the labels themselves?? (or both?) If there's any label people about, pm your address and I'll send a CD.

:arrow:

herman
31-07-2003, 09:25 PM
right now your best route is to approach labels it's highley unlikely a distribution company is going to take on brand new stuff right now. Probably the best thing to do would be to approach some of your favourite label's and get some contacts for where to send the demo's.
good luck with it

The Divide
31-07-2003, 09:46 PM
May the force be with you!

DJZeMig_L
31-07-2003, 10:22 PM
don't send 2 many tracks at once..

spread yer tallent! :)

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==