PDA

View Full Version : minimal vs minimal

Ritzi Lee
03-11-2005, 07:10 PM
I think everybody was or is confronted with the issue about minimal techno.

For me minimal is music from the likes of Maurizio, Basic Channel, Robert Hood / M-Plant, all the Axis stuff and so on...

Now we have the so called german sounds from labels like Kompakt, guys like Villalobos and so on.... The music they play: Most of the sounds are like the old club house tunes in the 90s... I'm still confused about the fact they call it minimal....

So what's it about. Where did it happened that something else is called minimal?

Or is it just an evolutional thing that minimal techno is evolving like this?

Take Marco Carola as an example. I have a lot of old productions from him. All phat ass minimal stuff from '94 / '97.... Last year I heared he was doing some minimal things again. What i've heared was nothing compared to his old stuff... I was a bit shocked.

So what's it all about?

g
03-11-2005, 08:53 PM
you're thinking too hard.

massplanck
03-11-2005, 09:12 PM

:lol:

SlavikSvensk
03-11-2005, 10:13 PM
i'm with you ritzi...i think minimal i think minimalist techno, i think making the most of a few sounds, i think BASIC CHANNEL! and of course lots of other great stuff too, no doubt.

DrewDavid
03-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Yeah... I think a good deal of the 'new minimal' is minimal-ish, but doesn't really fall in the same ballpark as Basic Channel, Theorem or the Plastikman catalogue. I've heard another term being bandied about, and that's 'Telelectro' ... or I think that's what it was. If you dissect the music from people like Villalobos, it's like a cross between standard minimal, glitch and electro.

SlavikSvensk
03-11-2005, 11:23 PM
VERY popular in seattle...all you here around here is that stuff and glitch.

Ritzi Lee
04-11-2005, 11:43 AM

that's my trademark m8...

but anyway, tell me your thoughts.
what's going on in the mind of the great g.

Jay Pace
04-11-2005, 02:39 PM
I really like the new stuff

Basically I'd say everything that Hawtin is playing at the moment is *ahem* new school minimal.
That new Adam Beyer track - A walking contradiction is fantastic. And would probably fall into the minimal category.

To be honest, with all the pounding loopy techno, distorted schranz sound and full on hard tech everywhere I think that anything that has clean tight production, a bit of a shuffle and lurks around 130-135 can end up being classed as minimal.

So, in conclusion (I'm sure I am going somewhere with this) I think the New Minimal is characterised by what it is not, rather than what it is.

I'll get my coat.

SlavikSvensk
04-11-2005, 04:45 PM
i do like that adam beyer record. you know, i think the best thing he's ever done is his conceiled project "pattern 1-4" record on svek back in 1998 (i think). that was not quite minimal, but brooding, emotional techno that still sounds fresh and unique.

g
04-11-2005, 07:30 PM

i just think that as soon as you put that much effort into categorizing something, you've boxed yourself into a corner. i think that when i hear a track that makes me think (or more specifically, FEEL) a certain way, then that's "minimal". minimal to me is a track that is as much about what isn't there as what is there -- and i think i'm paraphrasing someone else's post there as well. it can be bangin' in terms of emotion or it can be soft and subtle. but whether or not it's roots are in detroit or house or re-organized electro is irrelevant to me. it's all techno. it's further label from there is just a matter of convenience.

i also think that a distinction based on era or sub-style or influence is ultimately limiting rather than instructive.

of course, i'm someone who will argue that the line between house and techno only barely exists. so maybe it's just my categorization tendencies that are too minimal.... =)

SlavikSvensk
04-11-2005, 07:57 PM
of course, i'm someone who will argue that the line between house and techno only barely exists.

i agree. a lot of today's techno seems, to me, to have as much in common with jacking chicago house, acid house, and some of the later, harder chicago stuff as it does with cybotron, rhythm is rhythm, or reese.

massplanck
04-11-2005, 10:54 PM

I'll get my coat.

Here it is Jay. Is the big Donkey Jacket right?]

haha.

Actually your description was spot on for me. 130-135..& few sparse/glitchy sound thats about all that makes it so these days

massplanck
04-11-2005, 10:54 PM

:lol: Good ****in comeback!

Xavi
15-01-2006, 01:09 PM
imo minimal is tottaly different than minimal TECHNO ..

i like minimal techno :crackup:

SlavikSvensk
15-01-2006, 07:45 PM
imo minimal is tottaly different than minimal TECHNO ..

i like minimal techno :crackup:

sounds logical to me...want to delve deeper into this?

davethedrummer
11-06-2006, 01:55 AM
theo parrish
falling up ( carl craigs remix )
for me , that is the new minimal sound
totally techno
but totally musical , with a point.

DannyBlack
11-06-2006, 10:57 AM
dj filthmonger bought a record there a while back from spin dizzy in dublin, after one of your gigs dave. it's called 'autist' not sure what the tune is called, its really minimal yet hard as the skin on an old ladies twot. it was marked in the shop as dj rush's #1 choice. kicking track.

Ms.Rhythm
17-07-2006, 03:24 PM
I really like the new stuff

Basically I'd say everything that Hawtin is playing at the moment is *ahem* new school minimal.
That new Adam Beyer track - A walking contradiction is fantastic. And would probably fall into the minimal category.

To be honest, with all the pounding loopy techno, distorted schranz sound and full on hard tech everywhere I think that anything that has clean tight production, a bit of a shuffle and lurks around 130-135 can end up being classed as minimal.

So, in conclusion (I'm sure I am going somewhere with this) I think the New Minimal is characterised by what it is not, rather than what it is.

I'll get my coat.

yeah i've got a walking contradiction, not to big on minimal but i like some of it. Would have to agree with you on hawtin though, i see him as a minimal dj. Adam beyer seems to like doing things abit harder and funkyer when hes made a tune with someone else he kinda switches two and through, however i have a swedish friend who says minimal techno seems to be the new black in sweden??? I could imagin all the perfectionists out there likeing their minimal techno .

278d7e64a374de26f==