PDA

View Full Version : Derrick May interview on I Love Techno website

Dustin Zahn
04-11-2005, 08:55 PM
after seeing that interview I've lost most of my respect for the man, even if he has put out some timeless tunes that happen to be favorites of mine.

g
04-11-2005, 09:32 PM
not a high point, indeed.

SlavikSvensk
04-11-2005, 10:18 PM
link? description of what he said?

i don't mean to be negative, but last time i saw derrick (in seattle) he looked and sounded like he was bored sh*tless. i've seen him electrify on several occassions, so this was a real disappointment...

Stella Boy
04-11-2005, 10:23 PM
I respect his honesty, don't agree with some of it though and whether he feels the current crop of techno is shit is just his opinion. He could say he likes it all but what would be the point if he didn't believe what he said.

g
04-11-2005, 11:12 PM
link? description of what he said?
ilovetechno.be

SlavikSvensk
04-11-2005, 11:37 PM
southeast asia? transmat? uh...what? ;)

the part about techno as a brand losing its esteem...well, in some ways i see where he's coming from. not many people make electronic music the way he, juan, and kevin thought they would be. so if he's a bit jaded because of that, i think it's understandable, even though i disagree with him.

[/quote]

dan the acid man
05-11-2005, 12:08 AM
fair play, he says what he wants and believes in, he always comes across as slightly big headed though, which i suppose he has a right to

the interview is here ............ http://www.ilovetechno.be/main.htm ........... click on the ilovetechno tv on the right

oldbugger
05-11-2005, 01:25 AM
really dont see whats that bad about it. its just his opinion.
he's a bit arrogant, but so what?

Martin Dust
05-11-2005, 12:34 PM
Enjoyed that, he makes some good points...

Miromiric
05-11-2005, 03:51 PM
techno becoming a brand? does it have anything to do with all the radios and viva playing strings of life with girlie vocals?

g
05-11-2005, 06:23 PM
when i said not a hight point it's really not about anything he said. i agree with most of it. my comment was about the fact that he was like a caricature of his former self gving an edgy interview. he wasn't talking, he was reciting. maybe just tired.

Conan
05-11-2005, 07:00 PM
Well I have to say I would agree with alot of what he said. He does however seem like he has a huge chip on his shoulder (This might be understandable) but maybe too much of a chip. I think the "techno brand" point is quiet accurate and he does explain the point and give examples (Moby). He is being completely honest which is refreshing given the fake celebrity sh1te we see on tv and he's being himself which is what you want.

Dustin Zahn
05-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Even though he is right on a lot of counts, I think there is a fine line between expressing your opinion and being arrogant. It's gotta be a Detroit thing.

g
05-11-2005, 07:33 PM
haahahah.. . well derrick for one has never been short on hubris.

SlavikSvensk
05-11-2005, 10:46 PM
when i said not a hight point it's really not about anything he said. i agree with most of it. my comment was about the fact that he was like a caricature of his former self gving an edgy interview. he wasn't talking, he was reciting. maybe just tired.

yeah i caught that too. he was giving a lot of excuses. he should be honest and say "i just don't care about it like i used to"

Martin Dust
06-11-2005, 08:13 AM
G, I was thinking, christ I wonder how many times he's been asked that - you've got to get bored with it :)

Ritzi Lee
06-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Let me check the interview.
From my own point of view I still respect the man.
I understand most people had bad experiences with him considering missing gigs and stuff. Maybe it's just the way people are doing parties these days. I don't know..

And he played a great techno set at ADE!!
He wasn't looking boring at all... It was a dynamic set with lots of tricks, fast mixing.
He played a lot of quality stuff like Rotation and Symbolism.
He also played some tunes of mine... :)

MARKEG
06-11-2005, 10:12 PM
i totally agree with him. dustin - i'm quite surprised it got to you like this. if you actually think about it, 99% of techno out there today is not what techno's original ideals were about. he got it spot on with joris vorrn (i've just actually done a live interview with him for our first BOA radio program) and i love what he is saying about not making tracks until he is ready. i've met derrick a couple of times now and i agree he comes across as a tad arrogant but at the end of the day, he believes so much in himself and i really think that's a great thing to have.

Conan
06-11-2005, 10:19 PM
Spot on there Mark..

SlavikSvensk
06-11-2005, 11:03 PM
i honestly think derrick does not want--and has not wanted for a very long time--to sit down and make tracks. if he did, i'm sure they would be excellent. maybe he doesn't think he could do another strings of life? maybe another reason. but i don't think it's a question of not being ready...when was his last release? it's been a while... i don't think he's ever going to release a record again...

Dustin Zahn
06-11-2005, 11:10 PM
i totally agree with him. dustin - i'm quite surprised it got to you like this. if you actually think about it, 99% of techno out there today is not what techno's original ideals were about. he got it spot on with joris vorrn (i've just actually done a live interview with him for our first BOA radio program) and i love what he is saying about not making tracks until he is ready. i've met derrick a couple of times now and i agree he comes across as a tad arrogant but at the end of the day, he believes so much in himself and i really think that's a great thing to have.

I stated a few posts ago that I agree with May for the most part. What I don't agree with is his arrogance. He acted like a choad in Detroit, was full of himself and played a shitty set here in Minneapolis, and carried on with his arrogance in the interview. I guess maybe I'd get this impression if all my encounters with him have been rather poor ones.

react
09-11-2005, 08:06 PM
i've worked with derrick may on two occasions. he played for us at our first event in 1998 and treated us, white kids from midwest ohio, with total respect. then he came back one month later and played a small, invite only party for 150 friends for hardly anything... and he drove 5 hours from detroit. that's a stark contrast to other big headed detroit djs i've dealt with who act like little babies.

anyways,

it's a well known fact that derrick may has been known to come off big-headed, like he has a chip on his shoulder.i also know that he doesn't like the press or doing interviews with certain media outlets. i've read good interviews, and i've read ones where you can tell he doesn't respect the person conducting the interview. i think the reasons for this kind of attitude are a bit more complicated that just having an ego, and i don't think it's just because he thinks that's how he should act. i feel more like he feels like he missed out on some due credit, or something. at any rate, i still think he deserves a lot of respect.

as for the computer thing. i agree to an extent. these days, now everybody is a 'producer' and therefore much of the techno being created is shit. now, this doens't apply to eveyone who uses computers and i don't want to turn this into a technology debate, because there are plenty of producers out there who utilize a computer and software as the focal point of their studios, but there's a lot more process involved to making groundbreaking, world class music than mastering some software. there are too many imitators. and i can see how this 'instant producer, just add laptop' craze would bother someone like derrick. .

in summary, i have mad respect for derrick may. he's just comes off really cocky and a bit out his mind sometimes. that's all. his music is timeless, his label one of the best in detroit then and now, his talent behind the decks is legendary, and he's still spreading the message world wide.

and as far as i could tell, when treated with respect, he'll treat you with the same.

just my.02 ; )

TechMouse
10-11-2005, 09:56 AM
Erm... Moby labels himself as Electronica because that's what he makes.... isn't it?
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the poor state of the "Techno brand"...

My Opinion:

This may all be very well and good for whatever Derrick's concept of Techno might be, but you can't really deny that the whole concept of Techno has grown a hell of a lot outside of what the original Detroit pioneers had in mind. I think that what Mills, May, Saunderson et al may have seen as the be-all-and-end-all of Techno is now what the world considers as Detroit Techno - and for the rest of us there's a practically infinite spectrum of stuff outside that which is still Techno - and in this way I think Derrick probably has a rather narrow vision of what Techno is, and so he comes off sounding a bit arrogant... and possibly a little jaded. After all, if you considered yourself a pioneer of something, which the world hijacked and turned into something else which loads of people really liked, you might be a bit jaded too.

I quite like some Detroit stuff, but in general it tends to not push hard enough for me. It's too tied to conventional notions of music to be interesting IMHO. But that is, of course, just my opinion. (Please don't hurt me).

mattboyslim
10-11-2005, 12:44 PM
i think his main point was that its become less about TECHNOlogy and simply about mr dj wants to make a track and can do so quite easily with a bit of software (sweeping generalisation, doesn't count for everyone)

if you invent a style of music, and its pushed in a good direction then it can be evry rewarding, but its got to a stage where the original concepts of what techno actually is have been quite lost in the ableton/cubase world

i think he has every right to be jaded

and as someone else said, he was probly being extra cocky because he didn't like the particular reporter

TechMouse
10-11-2005, 12:59 PM
I still find it slightly odd when old-skool producers and DJs bemoan the newer guys on the grounds that these days all you need is a PC and you can make tunes... as if just by using old hardware you instantly gain this magic kudos, and anything else is just cheap immitation.

So the kids are making tunes on PCs... so what? If you're so good then make some better tunes and stop moaning about it. Show the kids who the master is. If you can...

I tend to think of the digital music revolution as the great leveller. Now, anyone can have a go - so only the truly talented and original will be of note.

mattboyslim
11-11-2005, 12:39 AM
i didnt say it was a bad thing using PCs, its jsut as he was an innovator i think he's still looking for ways to be like that. The techno name came out of the use of machines being manilpulated in a futuristic way. its harder to do that today of course and i think his beef is in the fact that stuff like ableton make it far to easy to heed the same results as everyone else. again, not saying thats a bad thing but from his point of view i guess its not pushing technology to its limits if everyone is writing tunes in exactly the same way

davethedrummer
11-11-2005, 01:41 AM
i thought he came across ok
he had some good points , but the interviewer was gettimg up his nose
and the questions were a bit crap.
it loked like one of those after set interviews which are never great as you just don't want to be there really.
i thought he seemed alright and hes earnt the right to be a bit arrogant.

TechMouse
11-11-2005, 10:38 AM
i guess its not pushing technology to its limits if everyone is writing tunes in exactly the same way
Fair enough.

Still, I guess if you're not going to be making tunes at all then what do you expect?

Ritzi Lee
11-11-2005, 07:31 PM
2 Techmouse: It seems you're really having a problem with Derrick May?
It's not really clear what you're trying to reach over here after 100.000 replies...

tekara
13-11-2005, 01:04 AM
AM I THE ONLY PERSON THAT CANT FIND THE INTERVIEW ON THE ILT SITE??

sorry for caps locks hehe....but seriously, i CANT FIND IT!

tekara
13-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Or can someone copy and paste the interview for everyone to read?

cheers ;)

MARKEG
13-11-2005, 09:12 AM
yeah i had a few probs finding it until i read that post from .. ermm .. well it's on page 1 anyway.

anyway, look everyone has there off days, everyone has a chip on their shoulder surely? i remember i was playing at a club a while back with derrick and someone from the crowd said to me - wow that dj is an asshole, he actually asked security to get him a girl from the dancefloor to take back to his room. now i was like 'wow that's really bad, derrick may's a right ass' but then thought about it and thought hold on - how do you know? and hold on - i wasnt there so i why should i form an opinion based around this? i learnt a big lesson that night. DONT LISTEN TO THE RUMOUR MILL!!! to be fair he'd propably had some eyes a bird and asked what her name was to someone back stage. arghhh you can't win man.

in that interview he really don't come off that bad if you ask me! sure a tad like he thinks he's the man but hey HE IS THE F'KIN MAN!!! hahaha.

:)

dan the acid man
13-11-2005, 12:26 PM
Or can someone copy and paste the interview for everyone to read?

cheers ;)

its a filmed interview, not a written one

TechMouse
16-11-2005, 12:56 PM
2 Techmouse: It seems you're really having a problem with Derrick May?
It's not really clear what you're trying to reach over here after 100.000 replies...

Yeah, fair enough. I take it all back. He's wonderful. Since he's been such a key player in the scene then it's ok for him to slag it off as much as he likes.

mek
17-11-2005, 02:49 AM
I think Derrick was rightfully put off by those first few comments about him being old school, in the old school room.

But he did sound pretty jaded... and to say there are NO new artists that interest him? Damn.

TechMouse
17-11-2005, 10:29 AM
I think Derrick was rightfully put off by those first few comments about him being old school, in the old school room.
Erm... he is old school though, isn't he?

By defnition he's old school... he's one of the originators of Techno, and hasn't put out a record in ages. Two hallmarks of "old school", surely?

SlavikSvensk
17-11-2005, 05:19 PM
i remember i was playing at a club a while back with derrick and someone from the crowd said to me - wow that dj is an asshole, he actually asked security to get him a girl from the dancefloor to take back to his room. now i was like 'wow that's really bad, derrick may's a right ass' but then thought about it and thought hold on - how do you know? and hold on - i wasnt there so i why should i form an opinion based around this? i learnt a big lesson that night. DONT LISTEN TO THE RUMOUR MILL!!!

i think that's a techno urban legend. i've heard it from a couple people, one in detroit and another in london, the exact same story, each time "my friend heard..." or "my friend's friend was, blah, blah..."

Dustin Zahn
17-11-2005, 05:38 PM
i remember i was playing at a club a while back with derrick and someone from the crowd said to me - wow that dj is an asshole, he actually asked security to get him a girl from the dancefloor to take back to his room.
:)

Sounds like he needs to get some pointers on talking to the ladies. :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==