PDA

View Full Version : Bingo! (more wonky stuff)

robin m
07-11-2005, 09:23 PM
This is my first effort in Reason, I've had it a month or two now - so quite messy and not very well mastered, any tips or feedback very much appreciated.

;)

http://www.anywhereenterprises.com/1/1/a?a=dF&p=sOWdQXy7PsOWOAApQZOAAIOQ

rhythmtech
07-11-2005, 09:31 PM
this is nice... kinda jackin! lackin a bit of warmth but still good.

robin m
08-11-2005, 02:31 PM
Cheers for listening & feedback - nice one ;)

When you say it's lacking warmth though, can you be any more specific? Do you mean maybe playing with some reverb on the hats or something, or is it the synth that needs looking at? As I say I'm a novice with reason so would appreciate any tips :twisted:

rhythmtech
08-11-2005, 05:14 PM
i think the whole bottom end needs phatning up... i'm listening on studio monitors and it sounds a little thin.. not much, but a touch would be nicer. hope this helps

TechMouse
08-11-2005, 05:37 PM
Cheers for listening & feedback - nice one ;)

When you say it's lacking warmth though, can you be any more specific? Do you mean maybe playing with some reverb on the hats or something, or is it the synth that needs looking at? As I say I'm a novice with reason so would appreciate any tips :twisted:

Some ideas.

Split the synth in two with a Spider Audio thingy.

Filter each signal... hi pass one, and lo pass the other.

Make sure the cutoff on each filter is set to the same frequency - dunno what exactly, possibly around 200/300Hz? That's just a guess, play around.

Apply some gentle distortion to the hi-passed signal. Nothing too crazy, just a little touch of overdrive.

Then mix the two signals back together.

See how that does you. Should give a bit of warmth to the sound, but keep the low end intact. Distortion usually has a side effect of totally arsing up your sub bass.

Another idea... layer a synth underneath following the same notes but just playing a pure sine wave quite low. Hi pass this at 40 or 50Hz (anything lower is just going to eat your headroom up), and possibly lo pass it at some point as well, as there's no point using up your high frequency headroom either.

Piss about basically!

God I wish I had loads of free time.

BRADLEE
08-11-2005, 06:15 PM
Overall I really like the tune Rob. It's good stuff for sure, but I do kind of hear what they mean about some portions being a bit dry. To me it's the hats that seem a bit dry, and that crash as well. I'm only peeping in the phones though, so I can't tell for sure about the warth of the bottom end.

However please don't take my comments wrong, I still quite enjoyed the tune. :rambo:

Decimal
09-11-2005, 01:09 AM
i thought the intro was little lacking, it didn't really grab me till the synth came in around 1:10.

I agree that the low end is a bit sparse, if you want to keep with just that lone kickdrum sound try eqing up the mid low freqs, like around 250 hz.

toy around with that screamy distortion unit reason has to give different parts warmth, it and a compressor will do the job nicely!

Great tune btw. I'm all about that blippy synth!!

Aratron
09-11-2005, 06:34 PM
its brilliant.
i liked the intro a lot , quite dark , had the hairs on my arms standing on end,
then gets quite minimal and detroity.
keep it up man :clap:

Mindful
09-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Wicked track Robin realy dig the feel of it and personaly like the intro.
Production wise dosnt sound too shabby attall to me I think a bit of deley and distortion on the hats might sound good.
as for bottom end warmth its not realy that necesery imo but.....I dont know Reason so this might be a silly question but can you use plugginns?Waves ect.
If so try get hold of" Nomad factory blue tubes" http://www.nomadfactory.com/products/bluetubes/ pm me if you want more details nudge nudge wink wink ,say no more :lol:
I find them invalluable for adding warmth.

robin m
10-11-2005, 08:44 AM
Aw, cheers for comments & feedback everyone - much appreciated and some very useful tips too... ;)

yeah, listening back to it after some sleep has made me notice the low end's in need of a lot of improvement, I'm going to have a tinker with it and see if I can give it a bit more definition. I do want to keep just that one lone main kickdrum really, I don't want the bottom end getting too fussy, but it could definitely do with more work bringing it out. The hats could do with tweaking too for sure, I always find them difficult...

That's what happens if you ignore good advice and just sit there chain smoking spliffs and staring at a computer screen, without having a break and listening to something else for a bit - it screws your ears up and when you listen back to it the next morning... :doh:

robin m
10-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Oh and Mindful - nudge wink etc, I'll pm ya when I get back from work mate :shifty: ;)

dirty_bass
10-11-2005, 04:12 PM
Interesting stuff, but you really can tell it`s made with reason.
A lot of the sounds lack width and depth and good EQ sculpting, so overal this sounds a little static and cardboardy.
I`d suggest maybe porting the sounds over to something else, like cubase, and EQing and processing more effectively.

The kick seems to lack oomph in the bottom end, and roundness in general.
The clap could be a little sharper in the top end, and the hats could do with eing more crisp.
However in it`s raw form here, this tune does have a nice computer gona mad kind of feel.

Aratron
13-11-2005, 02:20 PM
hi me and Dan from Donny , have listened to this again. luvving it. i need Dan to point out to me the breakbeats, cos im a bit thick like that really , kaya man :mashed:

robin m
13-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Cheers for ideas dirtybass, as you said I'm going to experiment putting the whole track into something else and try to focus the sounds up more. Like I said I made the mistake of listening to nothing else for too long and listening back to it it definitely needs a lot more effort in the mastering...

Thanks a lot for the advice ;)

...and I take it you had a good one saturday night then Calvin :lol:

fresh_an_funky_design
14-11-2005, 12:05 AM
yeah i agree with what dirty sayin, rewiring reason into cubase or logic makes such a difference to the sound

SlavikSvensk
14-11-2005, 02:07 AM
i like all the ideas, but i'm not sure the two synths go well together in the same track. i prefer the castlevania sounding one to the arp...

...anyways, good work and i'm looking forward to hearing the next version!

NinjaTechno
22-11-2005, 03:56 PM
the computer madness is well tasty enjoyed that !

278d7e64a374de26f==