PDA

View Full Version : The Life Of A Techno DJ

DJPAUZE
28-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Okay I myself do not play ALL over the world every weekend and have tons of releases coming out on labels all over the place. I am just a kid who has had this dream of playing and producing for a living.
Below I was wondering if some people of this forum can tell me if they are succeeding as a techno dj and/or producer.
I had a nice discussion about this with Henry in Toronto and would like some opinions of other people. And please if you would like to be specific and honest, do you have a real job? What do you do?
take care, and lets see where this goes....

Pauze[/b]

crime
29-07-2003, 01:03 AM
Be prepared to be really skint.... 8)

davethedrummer
29-07-2003, 01:05 AM
:lol: :lol:

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 08:22 AM
unless you are beyer..

T
29-07-2003, 10:35 AM
I'm not a globe trotting techno dj / producer....just someone who has been well into my techno music for quite a few years. Have been buying vinyl since early 90's and have done a bit of dj'ing over the last 5-6 years.

My mates have a rig and we've done plenty of nights and free parties etc. Used to put nights on at a student union, the occasional club,played at a little night in new cross where i live, til they turned the venue into a trendy wine bar (no more free mid week techno :( ) and done lot's of free parties in the west country, south east and did a night in France earlier this year as my mate lives down there and sorted it out. Never made any money, except a bit of pocket money from the legitimate nights.

Basically i love my techno, have done for years and am the only techno dj playing on my mates rig, rest of em play dnb / electro etc, so they are happy to have me play my music at their parties. I aint great but can mix a couple of tunes and it seems to go down alright at nights I've done.
I gotta day office job (invloves a lot of chatting on forums) that helps me and the missus pay the rent & bills and affords me some kind of life and money for vinyl etc..... job bores the hell out of me though

Have dabbled with computer software and made some sounds but nothing good or serious. Never seemed to have money to get equipment and new computer and stuff so not persued music pruduction. I find techno such a positive thing in my life that would love it to be a bigger part of it, but hey, still gives me loadsa pleasure and inspiration and as long as there's a good night out now and again i'm a happy chap :)

Sorry if I've bored the pants off you!!!!!!!

DJZeMig_L
29-07-2003, 11:08 AM
I guess I could get away just living of GiGs and Produtions... but do U really want that?? I don't want 2 have 2 follow trends 'cause I'm 36 and don't know how 2 do anything else... I could maybe get lots more gigs but also that means bending over a dropping my pants over the all promoter7 Club politics.... fu** that If I can't have fun and get there thru the value of what I do and no more then I don't want in anywayz...

Z

Bughead
29-07-2003, 11:28 AM
So from all of this, is there money in techno or does anyone really make money from techno?

Peace
Dez

DJZeMig_L
29-07-2003, 11:29 AM
U could have a resonable good monthly wage .. sometimes very good.. but then U could b skint 4 months...

Unless U get 2 the Mills, clarke, cox, Beyer and such level ...

Z

Bughead
29-07-2003, 11:32 AM
So what you are saying is that the longer you remain at it the more cash you can get. But at what point I'm wondering would you call a halt to such activities. Not that I dont think I ever will as techno is all what I know but I just wonder where do you draw a line under it and say " ok thats cool, thanx for all the memories"

Dez

Angrymann
29-07-2003, 02:19 PM
I think it depends on what you are after. I personally would just like to entertain and would probably get more from people enjoying my music than I would from money , but money doesn't motivate me in the slightest. That said I wouldn't turn it down because it would be nice not to have normal worries.

I think though if you are in it with CASH in mind then you probably won't have a very prolonged career cause you will be in it for all the wrong reasons and that will become apparent very quickly.

There's no time limit on good music or good entertainment.

Bughead
29-07-2003, 02:32 PM
Yeah if you want to make money from music dont be an artist ( that said some people do...) yeah I dont think I could do it for money, I think it would be for the love and the reaction of people...

DJPAUZE
29-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Well I've been mixing for quite some time now, and I would like to know if someday I myself can make a living doing it.
Im not hoping that a ferrari will be parked out the front of my house one day but it sure would be nice to say that I can pay my bills just putting out beats and playing all over the world.

Pauze :twisted:

Dustin Zahn
29-07-2003, 06:17 PM
Well, the #1 thing to remember is if you want to play all over the world, you have to make some phat beats. A goal like this isn't unrealistic, and not extreme (well, for some people it is). The key is to work on tracks constantly, send demos out, and not be lazy. If you can do this, I'm sure it will come with time.

I know a number of artists who I would die to have their tracks on vinyl, but they're so ****ing lazy that they'll probably never put a record out. At the same time, these people are bitching that all these "young cats" are taking away their glory and they're left scratching their heads.

anx
29-07-2003, 07:14 PM
this is a great thread.

techno is real small where i am from, so everytime i get a gig it makes my week. i am going to start building a studio over the next couple years, if i put this much effort into dj'ing, im sure i can put just as much if not more into producing. actually, most likely i will put more time into production because it is way more creative, and seems to be more addicting.

ROD
29-07-2003, 08:17 PM
when u was here in brasil u was living of the techno man.
u need to come back to here man.
cheers ROD

Bughead
30-07-2003, 09:42 AM
Does anyone you know that makes and dj's techno own a Ferrari. I once read stuff on what went on during the hey day of the outdoor bashes where sackfuls and sackfuls of cash were being gathered. They made shedloads of cash....

wenna
30-07-2003, 10:02 AM
well carl cox doesn't go short of anything (not sure about the farrari, but wouldn't suprise me!)
i think the way to make serious wedge is to 'sell out'. head for gatechrasher, head for minestry of sound. actually don't, but thats how it's done!

Bughead
30-07-2003, 10:20 AM
But recent trends show that they are slipping, numbers down etc...
like it was pointed out yesterday, its time to bring back to where it started. Without the maketed body spray or the ott magazine.

Dez

DJPAUZE
30-07-2003, 03:38 PM
First off ROD, I AM PLANNING MY TRIP BACK TO BRAZIL IN APPROXIMATE 1 YEAR AND HALF WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I will save ALOT of money to start thorowing parties down there.
That is what I am kind of left to do as my style of music is not big at all in Toronto. My gigs here ( IF YOU CAN CALL THEM GIGS) are in a small location called the lab, for about 20 people. The party ends at 3 am and everyone goes home. Parities are very restricted in Toronto nowadays and it really upsets me.
So now I'm looking at the possibility of no future for techno in my city, WHICH SUCKS!!!! Any suggestions???????
Sad Sad Sad. I sorta feel like I have been put here to play beats for people and looks to me like I'm gonna have to move shop once again to do it!!!

Cheers

John Vella
30-07-2003, 05:01 PM
Frankie your depressing me coz what u say is true about this city...

haha....

WHy don't we try and build something here?

Surely its at rock bottom now. Only way is up?

-jOHNNY

Patrick DSP
30-07-2003, 07:34 PM
you should be depressed...

the scene here is full of crap. and so is the government. we're reduced to putting on parties only in the worst looking pubs in the city due to negitive media coverage because no club owner wants to rent out space for a techno event here, house, sure, techno, no.

99% of the promoters here don't give a **** about techno they just want more chilled out tunes so they can make a profit at the bar and be able to promote their event to a wider market.

for ****s sakes the crowd here thinks richie hawtin and technasia are hard techno gods here. they confuse tech house for techno. it makes me want to puke all over their trendy "$500 i dress this way so i look like i want to pick up guys but i'm not because i think i'm the shit and the music i listen too is great but i won't be caught dead dancing to it" shoes.

puke i say! puke!!!!

johnny, frank. we live in a city of eskimos, no one here wants to buy a fridge from us. every dj i know plays harder and better outside of toronto.

if i were a rich man, i'd have events here and take everything as a loss but i need food in my belly and records on my phonograph. no more crap ass political games or booking only up and comming dj's cause it will save the promoter money!

yeah its a rant, piss off,
-p.dsp

John Vella
30-07-2003, 07:41 PM
Pat please win the lottery.....

-jOHNNY :(

Patrick DSP
30-07-2003, 07:43 PM
hey cool i can say shit and it doesn't block it out

and piss too!!!!

djlukas
30-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Hello my friend!!! first of all we miss you a lot!!!

its not easy to leave beeing a dj but i dont think that any profession is easy...

anywhere you want to be really good at you have to dedicate yourself a lot and invest on it all what you can!

beeing in brazil everything gets more complicated hehehe... you know it...

but even with all the dificults that we face i thing that its a ****ind amazing job!

Lukas

Okay I myself do not play ALL over the world every weekend and have tons of releases coming out on labels all over the place. I am just a kid who has had this dream of playing and producing for a living.
Below I was wondering if some people of this forum can tell me if they are succeeding as a techno dj and/or producer.
I had a nice discussion about this with Henry in Toronto and would like some opinions of other people. And please if you would like to be specific and honest, do you have a real job? What do you do?
take care, and lets see where this goes....

Pauze[/b]

ROD
31-07-2003, 12:08 AM
First off ROD, I AM PLANNING MY TRIP BACK TO BRAZIL IN APPROXIMATE 1 YEAR AND HALF WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I will save ALOT of money to start thorowing parties down there.
That is what I am kind of left to do as my style of music is not big at all in Toronto. My gigs here ( IF YOU CAN CALL THEM GIGS) are in a small location called the lab, for about 20 people. The party ends at 3 am and everyone goes home. Parities are very restricted in Toronto nowadays and it really upsets me.
So now I'm looking at the possibility of no future for techno in my city, WHICH SUCKS!!!! Any suggestions???????
Sad Sad Sad. I sorta feel like I have been put here to play beats for people and looks to me like I'm gonna have to move shop once again to do it!!!

Cheers

OW MY GOD A LOT OF TIME 1 YEAR ÃÃÃÃÃÃMMMMMM......
U NEED TO COME BACK SOON MAN....
WE R WAITING FOR U HERE BITCH.........
R U PLANNING TO START SOME PARTIES........OW GOD.
MOVE BITCH MOVE....
ROD

JACKSTAR
31-07-2003, 01:09 AM
I have been doing the techno thing full time for nearly 2 years and like with most selfemployed jobs you have good months and bad months but so far I have not had to go back to a "normal job". I think it does help if you have a good booking agent and mine (Kne'Deep) is really pulling out all the stops now and I things seem to be picking up more (2 gigs in Brazil in Oct). I think you really have to have your foot firmly in the door before quiting your "normal job" because sometimes promoters back out of a night or the Police shut the venue down etc and then you ain't gonna get paid. This year I have had 5 gigs cancelled and when you have already accounted for that money it can get a little scary so never count the cash until it's in your hand. Like what most people will tell you making the music is not a big money spinner (unless your Dave Clarke)but it will get your name about and a much better chance of getting a booking.

All I can say it that I have not looked back and even if this only last a few more years at least I had a damn good time doing it and saw places I would normally never go too.

P.

Philth
31-07-2003, 11:00 PM
first off, yeah, the hard techno scene in Toronto is non-existent, but instead of complaining about it, why not do something about it. i know that johnny funk and suavio and i are trying to bring some hard techno parties to toronto. sure, our parties are small right now due to all of us being poor, but i am happy that we are trying to do something about it. give it time and hopefully our parties will grow and will promote some hard techno here.

the scene exploded and got really huge. gone for now are the days of old where all electronic parties were huge. parties are getting smaller and going back underground (more or less). now's the time when the bandwagon jumpers get off and hop on the pop-punk bandwagon. i know that frank and patrick are supporting us and it must be hard to go from playing for big crowds in brazil to come to toronto and play in small clubs. however, the scene there could fall apart as well as quickly as it did here. be thankful for what you have i suppose.

that's my $0.02

peace,
phil

one
03-08-2003, 03:52 PM
ive been more or less doin techno full time for 5 years now, and as said before there are good months and bad months, but defenetly worth it

couldnt imagine getting a job

Bass Junkie
04-08-2003, 09:46 AM
I think if anyone is to be serious about really making it out of the techno scene and just living really weel off it you really have to give up your day job thats for sure coz to make it you have to give 150% all the way!!

YEah sometimes you will hit lows and sometimes hit highs but if you stick at it and perfect the art you will go far!!!

Jimfish
04-08-2003, 09:55 AM
is that you gimpy? (one) i think it is, isnt it...

DJZeMig_L
04-08-2003, 10:54 AM
bass .. U do have a point... but if u give up yer dauy job won't u have 2 compromise7 comercialize a lot more???

I think it's more like P. Langley said.. u keep yer daytime job and work like a bitc* in heat 'till u can see that u stand a fair chance... it's then that I would give up my job and give it 200%

Z

one
04-08-2003, 04:42 PM
jim:

sssshhhh, dont tell anyone 8)

DJPAUZE
04-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Thats what im doing right now, working full time and saving my loot, gonna go back to brazil and throw a massive party!!!!!! Buy a house there and continue to play techno full time.....
Toronto sucks ass for techno, no one wants to give it a chance, and when there are techno parties no one goes to support them.
Rather sad isnt it?

davethedrummer
04-08-2003, 09:50 PM
I don't want 2 have 2 follow trends 'cause I'm 36 and don't know how 2 do anything else... I could maybe get lots more gigs but also that means bending over a dropping my pants over the all promoter7 Club politics.... fu** that If I can't have fun and get there thru the value of what I do and no more then I don't want in anywayz...

Z

f*ck!!!
i'm 33 and i don't know how to do anything else
better get my quick release pants on

DJZeMig_L
05-08-2003, 03:16 PM
U r a nutter so I think yer years count backwords ehehehe :P

U don't seem 2 have put yerself in a situation that if all music goes pet* ton* U 'd have 2 give in just 4 a living (unless u'd like the music to :twisted: )...

Z

tekara
08-08-2003, 07:15 AM
Funny you mentioned this Bughead, i was reading in a Mauro Picotto interview that he had recently bought a 2003 Mercedez Benz SL550, which is pretty much up there in terms of range bracket with Ferrari's.

I know Mauro Picotto is not really accepted by many true techno passionates, but for many, he IS techno (LOL)....

And god only knows why Primate actually gave him a contract to release the Alchemist EP....GOD what were they thinking??? =)

okay anyway im going off topic...

Does anyone you know that makes and dj's techno own a Ferrari. I once read stuff on what went on during the hey day of the outdoor bashes where sackfuls and sackfuls of cash were being gathered. They made shedloads of cash....

tekara
08-08-2003, 07:19 AM
Thats what im doing right now, working full time and saving my loot, gonna go back to brazil and throw a massive party!!!!!! Buy a house there and continue to play techno full time.....
Toronto sucks ass for techno, no one wants to give it a chance, and when there are techno parties no one goes to support them.
Rather sad isnt it?

Pauze have you ever tried giving Montreal a chance? Your right when you say Toronto truly sucks for Techno.....maybe back in the day guys like Kenny Glasgow and Mario J were making good efforts in putting Toronto on the techno map but it just didnt pan out. Seriously, try MONTREAL. It is one of the most happening cities in North America in terms of partying and has LOADS of weekly techno parties. The scene is well established there too, with guys like Mateo Murphy releasing incredible tracks..

dunno, just my 2 cents. Hope it helps!

cheers

crime
08-08-2003, 12:26 PM
but for many, he IS techno ....

Didn't make his money out of techno though, eh?

Jimfish
08-08-2003, 12:33 PM
thing is with him is he did the other thing for the $$ - but he allways was into techno..
and can i just add that when i met him a couple of years ago he was an extremly nice bloke, much more polite and friendly and less up his own ass than certain tribal loop techno producers whom everybody seems to love

Esox Lucius
08-08-2003, 01:03 PM
thing is with him is he did the other thing for the $$ - but he allways was into techno..
and can i just add that when i met him a couple of years ago he was an extremly nice bloke, much more polite and friendly and less up his own ass than certain tribal loop techno producers whom everybody seems to love

Ben Sims?

Adverse
08-08-2003, 02:41 PM
Rather sad isnt it?

Pauze have you ever tried giving Montreal a chance? Your right when you say Toronto truly sucks for Techno.....maybe back in the day guys like Kenny Glasgow and Mario J were making good efforts in putting Toronto on the techno map but it just didnt pan out. Seriously, try MONTREAL. It is one of the most happening cities in North America in terms of partying and has LOADS of weekly techno parties. The scene is well established there too, with guys like Mateo Murphy releasing incredible tracks..

dunno, just my 2 cents. Hope it helps!

cheers

wrong lol, going to spain, see ya there. montreal.. no. frank. dead.

Adverse
08-08-2003, 02:42 PM
lol i love how sour i sounded there.

herman
08-08-2003, 08:17 PM

name names man don't beat about the bush :wink:

eyes without a face
08-08-2003, 09:25 PM
Picotto again! i truely believe that no matter where u run and hide, you cant escape him. He's always there. I reckon he will replace Sex as the most searched word on the internet soon.

He may well b a nice bloke, doesnt stop him being a total and complete sell out does it. If he really liked techno from the beginning then he has sold his morals completely down the bank by releasing some of the shite he has done. If i was him id feel nothing but complete shame for my actions, regardless of the Mercedes sitting outside!

as for Ben Sims, on the few occassions ive met/emailed him ive found him to b a very down to earth and friendly bloke, he rocked Voodoo@ The Masque last time i saw him and i had a wikid discussion with him about techno via email

Esox Lucius
08-08-2003, 09:29 PM
aye I spoke to sims at I.F and he was sound.

Clarkus
08-08-2003, 11:10 PM
i am going to start building a studio over the next couple years, if i put this much effort into dj'ing, im sure i can put just as much if not more into producing. actually, most likely i will put more time into production because it is way more creative, and seems to be more addicting.

I quite like the idea of building myself a wee studio over time. But this will have to be from cash earned from the through the week job as any gigs i get are done for the pleasure of playing out. But it would be quite a buzz to think one day i could quit my job and live off the cash i earned through music. 8)

John Vella
09-08-2003, 10:11 AM
Before I go on, let me be totaly clear: I'm not faluting anyone of you guys for your decisons to go abroad whatsoever..... I can feel the frustrattion. BELIEVE ME I CAN. :x

But I dunno....

I think it would be EXTREMLEY satisfying to help build/rebuild a techno scene here (in Canada) simply because it's a challenge and a huge reclimation project.....

I'm not the type to wanna leap off a sinking ship even tho sometimes outta frustration I swear out loud "I've fukkin had it with this goddamn city!!!!". (actually, mind u-- the good ship TORONTO TECHO is at the fukkin bottom of the ocean long ago)

But still.... All the success & luck in the world go out to u guys to peruse your dreams abroad. Hope u succeed!!!!!

However on the flipside of this issue, I just relate this entire situation to an althete in Pro Sports who leaves a lesser team he was with for years to join a powerhouse team in search of a Championship Title. (like all the free agents who go to the DETROIT REDWINGS, NEW YORK YANKEES, or MAN U)

Isn't it *MUCH* less gratifying to join something already built & established? Isn't that the easy way out? Isn't that almost too easy?

Just a thought.

Don't get your panties in a knot. ;)

-jOHNNY

crime
09-08-2003, 10:28 AM
He may well b a nice bloke, doesnt stop him being a total and complete sell out does it. If he really liked techno from the beginning then he has sold his morals completely down the bank by releasing some of the shite he has done. If i was him id feel nothing but complete shame for my actions, regardless of the Mercedes sitting outside!

I'm really not that bothered to be honest... can't say I really dig the guys music, but what's so morally wrong? Got more important things to worry about than Piccoto's supposed forays into "Techno"........

eyes without a face
09-08-2003, 01:08 PM
im not arsed either, was simply stating my opinion (again!) on the man. I just dont agree that he shud, and to b honest i dont think he ever will, be accepted as a techno artist

crime
09-08-2003, 03:37 PM
how are people "accepted" as techno producers? Is it an elite club?

schlongfingers
09-08-2003, 05:50 PM
how are people "accepted" as techno producers? Is it an elite club?

3 a year, candidates must come with 4 references from those 'in da club' already, and they must be able to guess the sex of a squirrel using only the pitch of it's call from 40 yards.

Additionally, PROPER techno lovers are only allowed to buy records from accredited techno producers, anyone breaking this rule is officially stricken from existance.

Dustin Zahn
09-08-2003, 07:09 PM
Additionally, PROPER techno lovers are only allowed to buy records from accredited techno producers, anyone breaking this rule is officially stricken from existance.

Yeah, godforbid you search the bins for good stuff eh?

karlo
09-08-2003, 07:27 PM
Huh..

Quite like every other person.Like i see my self on that..huh!
Finish the school, have a job in my father industry, working alot on production like someone else works on some other things, jobs..haha! ;o) just like a hoby ;o) Have a ****in good girl friend anddddd...yes, parents :P

Kind regards,
Karlo

schlongfingers
09-08-2003, 07:45 PM

Yeah, godforbid you search the bins for good stuff eh?

No, you must keep to the techno section and may only purchase full price new releases - the record shop representatives are agents of the techno management, your actions will be noted by them. Anything else is sacraligious, is NOT TECHNO, and will seriously affect the possibility of future acceptance into the techno brotherhood.

:twisted:

crime
09-08-2003, 08:26 PM
3 a year, candidates must come with 4 references from those 'in da club' already, and they must be able to guess the sex of a squirrel using only the pitch of it's call from 40 yards.

so it's like joining the lodge then... I wonder if I'm techno enough for them... Maybe I could be "Accepted"

eyes without a face
10-08-2003, 05:31 PM
i think u lot know wot i mean

im speaking from my own personal experiences here, but i find that techno fans are the hardest to please of all. There is alot of so called purism in techno and yeah sometimes imo it is about being accepted with certain artists. Im talking about the likes of Picotto and Fergie who started out playing and creating hard house and trance and are known WORLD WIDE for this, and are now ditching that and suddenly turning to techno. Alot of techno fans/clubbers really dont like this. All i meant is that its these people who wont accept the likes of Picotto and Fergie as true techno artists who they can look up to and draw inspiration from.

crime
10-08-2003, 06:28 PM
I don't think they really care about being accepted as "Techno" people, I mean does that really mean anything anyway? Peoples perception of what techno is and isn't is so broad and different that to your average person who listens to radio probably thinks that what techno is (Unfortunatly)... what's in a name anyway? I'm jumping ship from techno anyway, before it becomes too commercial and dies, I'm starting my own Genre with it's own rules.. it's gonna be called 3 step death skiffle....and no-one's allowed to be part of it unless I say so...

Patrick
11-08-2003, 09:58 AM
.. it's gonna be called 3 step death skiffle.....

ZZzzzzzzz, THAT is sooooo last week ! :wink:

278d7e64a374de26f==