PDA

View Full Version : sampling technique?

tekara
10-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Im sampling an old hiphop record, but theres a very heavy kick in the loop. Is there any way i can get rid of that kick without compensating the sound of the rest of the loop?

Filtering techniques? soundforge? help!

rounser
10-11-2005, 10:37 PM
Adobe audition -> open waveform -> spectral view (F9) -> zoom in on kick's freqs (roll your mouse wheel on the ruler to the right to zoom in, then drag up and down, likewise for the ruler at the top which represents the time axis) -> work out which of the coloured blobs represents your kick...it'll probably be down near the bottom of course -> use marquee tool to put a selection box around kick's freqs -> effects tab, amplitude, amplify/fade -> -30 db.

You may have to select a few areas with the marquee tool and fade each of them, because kicks are generally shaped like an L or a backwards J.

ceylon82
11-11-2005, 07:11 AM
To do this i usually try to reverse engineer the kick drum back out of the loop. With that i mean to try and undo what the engineer might have done.

Simply put,
1)the engineer would have allowed the kick about two freq ranges (usually around 0hz-150hz for the bottom and 800hx-3khz for the click).
2)He would have mono'd the kick samples channel so add a stereo width plug-in (I use S1 by waves usually) and try and eliminate a little of the kick by taking out a little of the centre most stereo image. If this is causing to much change to the vocal give up right now as this step will not work any further.
3)If the loop has been compressed in relation to the kick (Sidechain/production or mastering compression) play around with a good compressor/expander to flatten the loop out. If this is not working I like to compress the living hell out of the sample untill it sounds like it has been splattered on some invisible glass infront of my face. :twisted:

If that all fails try and find a sample of the kick drum on its own on the record and sample it aswell. You simply have to layer both samples so the kicks are perfectly in time (using something like wavelabs montage feature or cubase/protools/or even fruity) and then you phase reverse the isolated sampled kick. If you have lined it up correctly both kicks should dissapear as soon as you phase reverse it.

Hope that helps ;)

FILTERZ
11-11-2005, 11:35 AM
you absolutely wont get rid of it without changing the sound of the loop though

allthough the above advice is the way to go

278d7e64a374de26f==