PDA

View Full Version : Time for change???

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 12:25 AM
OK listen guys, I personally reckon it's time for a change. Jeff Mills/Richie Hawtin yawn yawn. Great and I wet myself every time I hear Waveform III but yawn yawn. We've all read the other posts of new artists etc etc. But how would you all describe the way you think techno/new music should go? I'm talking about the dancefloor. Not experimental shit.

Let me know ppl. Radically. We need to talk about this.

davethedrummer
29-07-2003, 12:40 AM
we need better computers
and better programs
everything is still so alien
it needs to be more interactive so you can be quicker
i hate all this chopping loops and filing and folders and all that crap
that's not music that's being a librarian!
i don't want to be a librarian i want to create at the same speed my mind works (and when it works)
i'm gonna plug in all my synths/drum machines and make some proper live techno!!!!!

crime
29-07-2003, 12:47 AM
we need better computers
and better programs
everything is still so alien
it needs to be more interactive so you can be quicker
i hate all this chopping loops and filing and folders and all that crap
that's not music that's being a librarian!
i don't want to be a librarian i want to create at the same speed my mind works (and when it works)
i'm gonna plug in all my synths/drum machines and make some proper live techno!!!!!
I hate using shitty sample utilities to put samples in my s3000, and I don't have a zip drive for it, so I never really use it unless I'm doing a remix or something...
this is probably why I've stuck to being more synth based...

kss
29-07-2003, 12:54 AM
It's a pity programmers don't write music!!! - Otherwise we probably would have those sorts of programs..........

What's needed is a better interface for dynamic control of sound generation - how this could be done I don't know!!!

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 12:57 AM
we need those speech recognition programers to write a prog so we can turn our thoughts or our certain commands into music!!!

davethedrummer
29-07-2003, 01:01 AM
yes yes
what about

"der der dum da der der dum da!!! atr atra rrraattttaaaaasssssssssshhhhhhhing!"

somthing please turn this into music

DJAmok
29-07-2003, 02:25 AM
we need those speech recognition programers to write a prog so we can turn our thoughts or our certain commands into music!!!

and we need a program that'll convert mindwaves to music. 8)

Back on topic: I believe it remains yet to be seen where techno is going. Personally I'd like to see the new German Hardtechno make it big, but I´m not so sure that´s likely to happen.

How I´d like techno to be? I´m not sure how to do it, but techno needs more energy and 'feeling'. Some of us try and get more energy in there by making our tracks faster and harder, but I´m starting to realise this alone won´t do the trick. I know for sure that simple looptechno won´t have a future, people want more than just a drumloop and a stab these days. So we gotta try to put some more emotion in our tracks. Easy as this may be said, this is a shitload of work and I´m not sure if I´m up to the task myself. But I´m trying. Got nothin better to do anyways :wink:

The Divide
29-07-2003, 02:53 AM
I am not sure if I would want it to go in one particual direction or sound a certain way. I personally would like to hear more dark tracks, stuff with synths but not sounding like pop. I like 4/4 tracks but would like to hear less offbeat open hi hats n rides and more randomised rythm. Big textures and sounds that stick out, all driven by hard reverberating kicks. Well something like that. :wink:

DJAmok
29-07-2003, 05:40 AM
Sounds like Arkus P. Check his stuff out.

RichieV
29-07-2003, 05:56 AM
my beef with techno is the lack of bassline

I just can't feel a groove with techno

Adverse
29-07-2003, 07:06 AM
OK listen guys, I personally reckon it's time for a change. Jeff Mills/Richie Hawtin yawn yawn. Great and I wet myself every time I hear Waveform III but yawn yawn. We've all read the other posts of new artists etc etc. But how would you all describe the way you think techno/new music should go? I'm talking about the dancefloor. Not experimental shit.

why is there no room for experimentation.. i mean, isn't that killing the platform right there?

Esox Lucius
29-07-2003, 07:08 AM
without experamation, the genre might aswell be dead!

I think there is far too much OTT hard techno around, people are forgetting about the funk...we need more funk back in the music.

Adverse
29-07-2003, 07:14 AM
'I'm talking about the dancefloor. Not experimental shit.'

... i'm so stumped here.

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 07:40 AM
richie: dude, there are plenty of techno tracks with defined basslines..
and yeah... funk... :wink:

RichieV
29-07-2003, 09:00 AM
i'm sure there is

It is just that everytime i hear a techno dj in my town , they play the kind of stuff that sounds like a continuous loop without bass.

absolutely horrible in my opinion.
Dance music is about bass.

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 09:01 AM
hmmm, whack djs

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 09:02 AM
i work on lots of different kinds of music and techno is defo one of the bassiest...

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 09:04 AM
certainly much bassier than trance or hard house/core and stuff.
granted somtimes the basslines are not so defined in the mix, but there should be tonnes of mash up sound on the bottom end in these cases..

RichieV
29-07-2003, 09:08 AM
i also think most techno needs a better back beat.
Things just seem to groove better with a back beat

i'm a trance guy tho so what do i know.

well since i'm on my beef with techno and sharing some ideas of what might make it better, i might as well get it all out

most techno sounds too loose. It would be like comparing a 60s jazz drumset to the jazz recorded today. The later being alot tighter( sorry for the drum references, i used to be a drum fanatic) . I would like techno alot more if the sound was alot tighter and compressed.

Another thing in techno i can't stand hearing is the 909 clap unprocessed. It sounds so boring. Again my opinion. Has the sound of techno evolved at all since the last 5 years? Seems alot of guys still use those outdated over played unprossed 909 sounds.

Finally i find most techno too straight. I think it would sound better if the hihats were swung or something making it groove a little more.

RichieV
29-07-2003, 09:12 AM
has anyone heard Drama - Marcel Woods

This is my idea of where techno should be going

crime
29-07-2003, 09:15 AM
I'm talking about the dancefloor. Not experimental shit.
Sorry to drag you up on this again, but to be honest, it's gotta go more experimental to change... this is precisely what I've been saying before, most people into techno have such a narrow agenda of what it is, that they overlook anything that is truely pushing the boundaries, because they don't consider it to be techno or "The kind of techno they're into"... This is why you keep hearing about the same people, or if not the same names, the same kind of sound, as anyone who strays outside of that gets described of as experimental... there's nothing wrong with being into straight up dancefloor stuff, but in 2003 it's not really pushing any boundaries whatsoever... I think basslines is cool though, if there's one way forward, it's maybe bringing the melody back in whilst keeping it on the floor...

RichieV
29-07-2003, 09:15 AM
Take everything i say with a grain of salt by the way
I mean i own 2 Shania Twain cds paid for in full

my taste is questionable

crime
29-07-2003, 09:16 AM

well since i'm on my beef with techno and sharing some ideas of what might make it better, i might as well get it all out

most techno sounds too loose. It would be like comparing a 60s jazz drumset to the jazz recorded today. The later being alot tighter( sorry for the drum references, i used to be a drum fanatic) . I would like techno alot more if the sound was alot tighter and compressed.

Another thing in techno i can't stand hearing is the 909 clap unprocessed. It sounds so boring. Again my opinion. Has the sound of techno evolved at all since the last 5 years? Seems alot of guys still use those outdated over played unprossed 909 sounds.

Finally i find most techno too straight. I think it would sound better if the hihats were swung or something making it groove a little more.
why don't you stick to your trance then? 8)

Dustin Zahn
29-07-2003, 09:19 AM
Man, theres so many cool upcoming artists that are just getting signed to labels or who will soon. Its going to be a little bit yet, but I'm kind of excited for these new faces in techno.

RichieV
29-07-2003, 09:25 AM

why don't you stick to your trance then? 8)

Well the author of this post specificaly mentioned " dancefloor " . Woudl'nt the opinion of someone that does'nt know techno be important too ? I am telling you as a normal person listening to techno at a club , why i can't stand it.

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 09:37 AM
i said no experimental shit cause i wanted to really focus on the dancefloor. sure, it'd be great if we could go all weird and wacked out but we can't at the mo - that'll come in time hopefully.

so i wanted to focus on the dancefloor and stuff that is going to make ppl dance right now.

Dustin Zahn
29-07-2003, 09:38 AM
so i wanted to focus on the dancefloor and stuff that is going to make ppl dance right now.

Hertz/Sway.

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 09:45 AM
Richie V

you're obviously not listening to techno properly. nearly everything you said had made me sit up and go 'waaaaaaaaaat????!!!!!!!!'. like everything your saying what techno is not about is what it IS about. you're definitely not hearing what you should be hearing.

my advice: lock yourself in a room for 24 hours and play some glenn wilson/hereos/planet rhythm tracks over and over.

then tell me techno isn't about bass.

then tell me techno isn't about tightness.

you've either got cotton wool in your ears or your local DJ's are playing 2 Unlimited rave techno anthems.

hmmmmm..... try to open your mind to this. there's obviously a reason why so many ppl are passionate about this music. make it your mission to find out why :wink:

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 09:46 AM
MARK EG wrote:

and in the near future of course.

Bughead
29-07-2003, 10:01 AM
What we need is a brain impulse capture that feeds off the reaction of the crowd thus ensuring the best response. Our job would be to tweak the reaction , thus helping the performance.

It's a pity programmers don't write music!!! - Otherwise we probably would have those sorts of programs..........

What's needed is a better interface for dynamic control of sound generation - how this could be done I don't know!!!

RichieV
29-07-2003, 10:03 AM
i try to understand every day
i still can't figure it out

i have yet to hear a techno song with really good bass
maybe you could give me the name of some tunes.

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 10:06 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have yet to hear a TRANCE tune with really good bass!!!!

Esox Lucius
29-07-2003, 10:18 AM
I have yet to hear a trance tune with really good anything :wink:

RichieV
29-07-2003, 10:26 AM
bassraiders - goingcrazy
thickest bass i have heard in a tune

and it is trance

Esox Lucius
29-07-2003, 10:33 AM
Richie you have made me laugh this morning, claiming techno has no bass... **** peter kay, you are a real comedian :lol:

RichieV
29-07-2003, 10:37 AM
maybe by bass we mean different things

sure techno is bassy
but there is no distinct bass pattern that cuts thru in the mix
Techno does'nt seem to focus on the bass

thats my opinion anways

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 10:46 AM
hey guys, i've started another topic about bass in techno.

can we get back to the subject matter!?!?!!

DJZeMig_L
29-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Bring back the humour, funky rythms (doesn't mean they can't b hard)... and yes it's time for out of this world synth (or other) sounds ... Voices can b somethin 2 had a little extra... don't ask me how (i generally go 4 the booty aproach) but it must b possible 2 include this element leaving out the cheese!!

Z

massplanck
29-07-2003, 11:32 AM
hey guys, i've started another topic about bass in techno.

can we get back to the subject matter!?!?!!

ok techno needs a change. ...

the problem is any slight change tends to get too much attention too fast is quickly gobbled up and dissected by the media, websites, forums ;), etc.. I wonder how long the whole 80's atkins, may, saunderson detroit buzz would have lasted under todays media glare?

Everything is moving too fast. People feel pressured .

I think that it is time for techno to leave the city and go for a walk in the countryside to get some fresh air. The immediate future isnt about new sounds its about new locations and its high time we suicide bombed the club and setup camp on the hills where no-one can tell us when to leave, how much to pay, where to sit or what to wear.

Bughead
29-07-2003, 11:38 AM
So basically do a full circle on it. Back to the hey day of outdoor raves, Castlemorton et al, lets go dig up some old Spiral Tribe people as well to boot..... :)

I think thats its just returning to the way it was, the money men are splitting as there is is no quick money to be made from techno so they take their chequebooks and look for the next big thing. Which is only good for us as there is no real marketing pressure to release loads ( only to cover what you need to survive)....

So yeah, we need a teknival... thats what we need...
anyone got any locations?

Dez

massplanck
29-07-2003, 11:40 AM
i try to understand every day
i still can't figure it out

i have yet to hear a techno song with really good bass
maybe you could give me the name of some tunes.

Bolz Bolz - Take a Walk (Si Begg remix) ....

make sure you have a spare pair of undies handy.

massplanck
29-07-2003, 12:02 PM
So basically do a full circle on it. Back to the hey day of outdoor raves, Castlemorton et al, lets go dig up some old Spiral Tribe people as well to boot..... :)

Dez

well thats the way it seems to be going. headed out to that outdoor party in the B-Eustace Quarry on sat night and although there wasnt too many people there (200+) it would still beat Jeff Mills in a packed Redbox or Beyer in the Temple Theatre! Its all fun fun fun. And its not just techno. We left the place at about 9:30 and headed to Brittas bay where 700 were dancing around to cheezy dance tunes but at least they looked like they were having the time of their lives... everyone seems to be back looking for the 'buzz'. And they are finding it.. in Quarries, on Beaches, On Army Shooting ranges, In warehouses, up hills and in the woods. Think about itDez, nothing is going to last longer in our memories from the late ninties and early noughties than Creations gigs and their ilk. Pure Hedonism.

You spend less money, you have more fun, you meet madder people, the night lasts as long as you want....

Trust me guys i'm over the moon that the arse-end has fallen out of dance music. Over the moon, because lets face it, it was never REALLY about the record sales, new ficticious genres or stainless steel plated uberclubs. It was meant to be about fun and escaping from the mundane reality of our weeklives. Saturday was at risk of turning into a wednesday or thursday because it was becoming as predictable as hell. Same sounds, Same DJ's, Same venue, Same ol same ol.

at 4.00 saturday night i was sitting in sunils gaff arsing about. One hour and one phone call later I'm dancing in a previuosly unknown location in a huge Moroccan Wedding tent to some excellent unknown DJ playing excellent unknown tunes.

So who has the balls to get busy and block the motorways again?

Cheers
Steve

Bughead
29-07-2003, 12:07 PM
I hear ya, I just wonder whats the English take on things, are they brave enough to take back to the country considering the CJB? Some of the best times I had were at some outdoor bashes outside Bracknell and Reading ( well back in the day ) and also Castlemorton and then further a field in Holland with the Spirals and Mutoid Waste but AFAIK the old bill in the UK get really heavy on anything outdoorsy so...

The Divide
29-07-2003, 12:11 PM
Heheheheh, funky tracks with Bass guitars in em!! :lol: I wanna more of that

Sunil
29-07-2003, 01:21 PM

Dez
everyone seems to be back looking for the 'buzz'. And they are finding it.. in Quarries, on Beaches, On Army Shooting ranges,

Jesus I remember that one in Gormanstown where the local army guys came out to find all the targets on their shooting range going up in balls of fire, with loads of people dancing away, i wouldn't have lit them myself but it was funny!

I do think this year in Ireland things have begun to change, I also think techno snobbery is not as bad as it was particularly when you have a lot of the same gang going to psy trance parties, just because it's an outdoor party and could be fun, this is a good thing definitely...

Re:Techno, I reckon producers need to put a bit more of their stamp on their music, a personal touch that seperates it from other people's. The human voice, as already mentioned here I think, is one way to go. It's not heard enough in techno yet it is something which instantly adds character to a track, so many possibilities with the human voice be it getting new sounds, noises or just saying something off the wall.

T
29-07-2003, 01:38 PM
I hear ya, I just wonder whats the English take on things, are they brave enough to take back to the country considering the CJB? Some of the best times I had were at some outdoor bashes outside Bracknell and Reading ( well back in the day ) and also Castlemorton and then further a field in Holland with the Spirals and Mutoid Waste but AFAIK the old bill in the UK get really heavy on anything outdoorsy so...

ha ha, Bracknell's me home town!! used to hear pounding beats in the distant woods & stuff when i was a teenager. It's been a while since parties been happening in the area as far as i know....some been going on newbury, Reading way though. West country always seems good for free ones, good locations etc.
Did a lot of free ones in 2002. I've been down to Bristol (Steart Beach) with my mates rig last summer....what a party, 30 rigs, thousands of peeople, too big for police to stop, went on for days, techno, dnb, dub, you name it it was being played somewhere. We also did Devon, oxfordshire, chichester, bucks last summer. Not been to many this year and have heard of a few being busted....police can be pretty militant these days but somtimes they let it go. Proper Free parties rock!!!
You can check some pics at http://www.omnipotentsystems.co.uk
:D

Bughead
29-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Cool, you still doing them?

spiralx
29-07-2003, 02:17 PM
Went to an outdoor party in Bracknell last year on the Jubilee weekend... not techno though, psy trance.

Bughead
29-07-2003, 02:20 PM
Yeah psytrance is taking off over here as well...
Dont understand it myself, harks back to the days of TIP etc
not my cup of tea...

Isnt there some psy festival on at the moment in Mexico or somewhere like that?

Dez

T
29-07-2003, 02:25 PM
My mates rig is being done up at the moment, so not been doing so many this year but as soon as it's up and running again we'll be doing more for sure......been missing them....was good to play out regular at them. Aim is to do a decent one before summer is out, then get right on it next year. The rig has been to portugal last summer also, but I was too skint and working, so couldn;t go :(
We did one in Bournmouth beginning of july, but on someone elses rig, so free parties are still happening.
That link in my last post will have details of our future activities.
I've also got a mix set at http://www.dj-tom.tk though the sound quality is not too good, but turn bass down a bit and it plays ok...some good tunes on there anyway.
we play everything from drum & bass to techno to dub to electro....I play techno on the rig and my mates provide other sounds.

Bughead
29-07-2003, 02:29 PM
Cool...

Col
29-07-2003, 03:11 PM

i dont think anyone can describe the way techno should go, and i think thats for the best, no one can predict what techno is going to be like in the future, nor can we describe the way it should go, if we could describe the way it should go wouldnt be most techno producers pionering this sound now?

for me innovation is paramount in techno, but we cant describe innovation until it arrives, for the meantime lets hope that people keep trying to push the boundries of techno further & further :wink:

Bughead
29-07-2003, 03:17 PM
Isnt there some underground techno thing going on in Japan...
its about the speed of gabber but done with a techno feel..
really fast with really over the top highs and extremely
erratic basslines....

Esox Lucius
29-07-2003, 03:18 PM
Isnt there some underground techno thing going on in Japan...
its about the speed of gabber but done with a techno feel..
really fast with really over the top highs and extremely
erratic basslines....

Sounds like something Paul Damage would play :lol:

DJPAUZE
29-07-2003, 03:21 PM

i dont think anyone can describe the way techno should go, and i think thats for the best, no one can predict what techno is going to be like in the future, nor can we describe the way it should go, if we could describe the way it should go wouldnt be most techno producers pionering this sound now?

for me innovation is paramount in techno, but we cant describe innovation until it arrives, for the meantime lets hope that people keep trying to push the boundries of techno further & further :wink:

This was well written man, I don't think I could have said it better myself!!

Pauze :twisted:

kss
29-07-2003, 03:52 PM
http://web.media.mit.edu/jpatten/audiopad.html

Found this after a little research!

Kaptain K
KSS My Arse!

spiralx
30-07-2003, 04:50 PM
http://web.media.mit.edu/jpatten/audiopad.html

Found this after a little research!
404 Not Found? :o