PDA

View Full Version : Bass in techno.

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Adapted from another post where Richie V says that there is no bass in techno and I go 'waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttt?!?!?!' :wink: :

i think the problem is that the way of listening to bass in trance is different than listening to bass in techno. much of the time in hard techno it's sub bass. i mean for me, this bass is so powerful. christ, we spend days programming sub bass lines and i can tell you by the end of a big session doing this my guts are feeling like they are coming out of my ass. there's also the one note style sub bass in techno that gives a slightly funkier feel. and this is just out and out groove. i love the way this type of bass works with drums. you have to look behind the kick drum for your bass in techno.

but the difference in trance (especially hard trance) is that it's a synth bass. so it stands out differently. it's in front of the kick drum. as an observer, you'd be justified in saying there's better 'bass' in trance. but there really isn't. trance basslines are often one note and offbeat and there's good reason for that - otherwise the whole track would be swamped by synth bass. mind you, i'm not saying trance bass isn't good - cause i've always really loved the hard trance (and now alot of the hardstlye too which is even more synth bass than ever before) and the way the off beat bass sits with the kick.

the beauty of techno is sub bass sits behind the kick drum. as a producer, you can do more with it. you can make more changes and varients and different things oscilllating different parameters. the sub bass note programming in techno is so much more complex than trance. yet the sound shaping is harder to do in trance.

my thoughts anyway. what the hell do i know. hehehehhe..

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 11:09 AM
bang on, this is what i meant on the other thread when i was taking about 'defined' bass..

really ritchie if i was you i would have said 'basslines' or somthing. there is more bass frequency in techno - i can tell you that now. dont even bother replying to that cos i can tell you that as rule there is.. there just is.
your ears are ****ed mate if you canny hear it - let alone feel it!

the point is as mark says trance bass appears much more up front in the mix, and it dominates a much higher set of frequencys than most techno bass. but this actaully means it it less 'bassey' - your speakers just aint gonna wobble as much. What it also means is that patterns are going to be more immediatly obvios and stand out of the mix much more - i think this is where you are getting confused..

but anyway - there are tonnes of techno tracks with more your kinda bass.. marco bailey stuff for example, although his b lines do tend to be a bit flat.. no, very flat..
try 'bitches from hell' by thomas krome. Or certain drumcodes..
try also some italian stuff - gaetano, vigorito etc - these often have big b-lines (still a bit more subby than trance but perhaps more defined patterns)

spiralx
29-07-2003, 01:57 PM
Heheh yeah it's those monster woofing basses that define a lot of what makes techno sound so good for me :)

Bughead
29-07-2003, 02:03 PM
I cant remember which mobile sound system it was but they had a unit esp. for generating sub bass ( air compressors the works) but you couldnt hear ( or feel ) anything else though

The first Tekinval was like that all bass...

DJPAUZE
29-07-2003, 03:29 PM
Anyone that says theres no bass in techno these days is sheer gone maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. I think that sub bass is getting redifined as time goes by. People like Glenn Wilson, Mark EG, Sven Wittekind, Dave the Drummer are pushing sub bass to boundaries which were never used way back in the day.
The scary thing to me is how low can we go???? Is there another level of sub bass??? Be afraid be very afraid......................................

Pauze :twisted:

Si the Sigh
29-07-2003, 03:42 PM
Hydraulix 16 & 17 had some PHAT bass man! And the Pounding Grooves releases are proper bass shakers! Oh and one tune that did make me :D was The Axis of Evil EP on Re-Entry...Speaker destroying shit!

DJPAUZE
29-07-2003, 03:44 PM
HYDRAULIXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX 17 HOLY MOTHER OF GODDDDDDDDD!!!!! Does it get any heavier???
Someone????

Pauze :twisted:

Si the Sigh
29-07-2003, 03:45 PM
init! :mrgreen: thats proper bass in yer face boyo! ha ha!

RichieV
29-07-2003, 07:31 PM
by bass i mean bassline

techno really does'nt have alot of basslines that cut
this is what i am talking about

it does'nt have a bassline you can hum

eyes without a face
29-07-2003, 08:05 PM
this sorta bass is total killah, i love that hard techno sub bass. any tips for creating basses like that, as im struggling

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 08:26 PM
yeah spend a whole week focus on only sub bass. sample everything you do and use it in your track as and when necessary.

richie - BELIEVE ME i can hum sub bass!!!!!

like we say, trance is synth bass. obviously synth bass is what you like. me, i don't mind both at all but my god when sub bass rocks it muthafukin rocks

Sunil
29-07-2003, 08:52 PM
by bass i mean bassline

it does'nt have a bassline you can hum

For basslines check Kevin Saunderson (E-Dancer), Oxia, Samuel L.Session (His older stuff). Basslines are more rife in the funkier stuff.

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Hydraulix 16 & 17 had some PHAT bass man! And the Pounding Grooves releases are proper bass shakers! Oh and one tune that did make me :D was The Axis of Evil EP on Re-Entry...Speaker destroying shit!

that reentry ep was a total disgusting mess of shite

eyes without a face
29-07-2003, 09:30 PM
cheers mark, im gonna take ur advice and get to work on some sub bass. Im only using Fruity studio tho, altho i have plenty of spot on plugins that i plan to get busy with.

daviec
29-07-2003, 10:46 PM
At ILT the other weekend, we were enjoying a tune right in front of a set of speakers inbetween all the arenas.

At one point there was a break in the tune and the bass held on one note that you could feel resonating right inside your chest... then the frequency slowly dropped and you could feel it move right down your torso until (and I swear this happened) it shook my balls. :D

If it had went any lower I'd have shit myself.

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 10:51 PM
hahahahahahaha

"it shook my balls"!!! classic

RichieV
29-07-2003, 11:13 PM
maybe it is safe to say

techno you feel the bass
trance you hear the bass

i like hearing the bass

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 11:43 PM
i like feelin the bass!!!

but i think you're wrong....

you can feel bass in hard trance and you can feel bass in techno....

Col
30-07-2003, 12:02 AM
oh please not again!! :lol:

John Vella
09-08-2003, 10:24 AM
nah man!!!! u can hear & feel!!!!!!!

Get Hydro 17-- its a blatant example as Pauze said.....

Frank remember how I kept goin on about Hyd 17 bass at WEMF after Henry dropped it? :)

good times.... :) :) :)

For another obvious example of the wide world of techno bass listen to practically any SUBMISSIONS record......

-jOHNNY

Gloomy
09-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Saying there's no bass in techno is like saying there's no sugar in chocolate.
It might happen but it sure ain't the right one :lol: :lol: :lol:

If u want to hear & fell what the bassline in HT is take some records of Wilson, Anxious (Eg), Klein, Beyer or some old Surgeon and the Advent shit put it on, turn the bass to max and turn the treble to min & than just enjoy the ride :twisted:

d-lysergic acid
09-08-2003, 07:57 PM
B.A.S.S. :lol:
RichieV I am gettin` what ur saying but u can't fakin say that...

crime
09-08-2003, 08:29 PM
by bass i mean bassline

it doesn't have a bassline you can hum
Check out:
Neil Landstrumm
The Hacker
Tube Jerk
Si Begg

all have done Techno trax with basslines you can hum....

Adverse
09-08-2003, 09:01 PM
heh i don't like any of those artists. you want ot hear a bass line pick up planet rhythm 40.1 or that new dk there's plenty of tracks with bass that's larger than life just keep looking..

crime
09-08-2003, 10:18 PM
heh i don't like any of those artists..

that doesn't mean it isn't good...be honest, I cant stand the majority of basic groove loop based stuff, I prefer a bit more substance and quirks, but thats just horses for courses... I can see what richie V is getting at, that there are no "Melodic" basslines in this groove based stuff, but that isn't techno as a whole.. It really gets me how people go on about being open minded, and then bang on about drumcode and glen wilson (Btw, no disrespect to these guys, I've got nothing against people being into different stuff to me), and dismiss anything that's outside of that as "not techno" or "I don't like that"... fair play if you don't like something, but you don't see me saying "I hate drumcode" at any mention of the swedish stuff.. it's just damn negative, and it annoys me to read it... It's been like banging your head against a brick wall round here recently, saying "Whats going to push it forward" and then dismissing anything thats a break from the norm... no wonder everything sounds the same.....

Richie V: there is stuff about with big booming MELODIC basslines (That can be dark and sinister as well) you need to just search a bit harder to find it, but it does exist....

crime
09-08-2003, 10:21 PM
and just to add, I've come to the way of thinking over the past few years that there's no such thing as "Good" or "Bad" music (Well, there are exceptions to the rule, most pop music is pretty shit, but , hey, what do I know!), just music you like and music you don't like....

crime
09-08-2003, 10:23 PM
and to add (Again!!) Adverse, Ritchie obviously can't hear the basslines in the stuff you are talking about, so banging on about it even more is hardly going to convince him otherwise....

Adverse
10-08-2003, 12:44 AM
lol i knew saying that mark would cause you to speak out :) no disresect intended.

i never said anything about hate..

i mean hate.. i don't think i hate anything..

seems to me you got a trigger.. i'm sorry i pulled it. i just don't like it.

which is exactly what you followed up with.

DJPAUZE
10-08-2003, 12:51 AM
It's all about Trilogy by Spectrasonic!!!

3Gb of bass hits at 32-bits

so pure and nice!!!

can't do better than that!!!!!

Patrick DSP
10-08-2003, 12:52 AM
shit! sorry about that...

should have loged off Frank on his computer before replying..

:P

crime
10-08-2003, 01:54 AM
@ adverse: no worries dude, I just see a few things on here that don't make much sense to me sometimes...

Just out of interest, what stuff have you heard by the artists I mentioned above which you didn't like? I can't get with the Hacker's blatently retro stuff, I'm more into his earlier output, and I'm not so into Landstrumms more recent stuff, apart from the od thing, his early Peacefrog, tresor, sativae and mosquito stuff was excellent though (IMO).. I can understand that Tube Jerk stuff can be a bit formulated, I'm just wondering what it is about it you don't like...
Personally, I can't get into stuff that sounds exactly the same wherever you put the needle to the record i.e. the supposed "DJ tool" which to me seems to be an excuse for lazy arrangement.. no structure... it's almost like, was there any point in cutting a whole side to a record, when you could have just done 10 locks..

Adverse
10-08-2003, 02:04 AM
well in terms of music creation yes i understand you. it sucks to make loopy stuff. i don't want to do it. when i dj though i like the hard grinding tunes cause i can dance too them and i can rock to them while i'm playing.. simple yes.. monotonous yes! thought provoking no. (that's not in direct reply that's just a pretext)

here's my reply: hacker is just too funky i guess.. si begg who is an amazing producer just is also too dancy and wish washed in his techno. neil lanstrumm has had a track or two i liked nothing special. all talented producers no doubt.. just don't feel it when i play and the truth is, asides from playing and creating, i don't listen to much techno at all. maybe the correct word after all is prefer. i do not prefer them. cheers mark.

crime
10-08-2003, 07:31 AM
fair play

278d7e64a374de26f==