PDA

View Full Version : Smooth Mixing or fiddling?

MARKEG
13-11-2005, 09:31 AM
I personally LOVE smooth mixing. I really love doing seemless mixing in the comfort of my own studio. But go out and play and it just doesnt seem to wash. In techno clubs, if you don't cut things up, mash things about then you just don't get the crowd response. Why is this?

Perhaps I'm playing in the wrong clubs? I've really noticed this recently and would love to get a discussion going about it? Perhaps it's just me!!! hahaha.

The Overfiend
13-11-2005, 09:44 AM
smooth long mixes show more skill

killarava2day
13-11-2005, 10:18 AM
I love smooth mixing.

Defo a good gauge of skill.

I get annoyed with people who say beatmixing is 'easy'...'can't master it in a couple of weeks theres something wrong with you'. I'd like to see these people hold a mix for a couple of minutes whilst away from the decks searching for the next track that's gona sound good.

Stella Boy
13-11-2005, 10:21 AM
any dj can cut up but not all dj's can cut up in a way that works and enhances the tracks being played. Subtle fiddling and cutting in a smooth set gets a great reaction but there's nowt worse than 2 tracks being blended together when they just don't work :gutted:

Ginjin
13-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Its all about smooth mixing for me, but there are times when the mix is gagging for some cutting and beat juggling.

rhythmtech
13-11-2005, 11:14 AM
i love to be able to play a track through to the end. i know my records and what'll work,so that gives time for choppin. But i agree it needs to be subtle not just bangin the crossfader across for 4 beats every 16 bars! i like to use nice edits in the incoming track eg: kektex - lock had a drop early on in it where everything dropped for 4 beats and a vocal just said "LOCK" and then 4 303 notes hit really low. things like that make for lovely mixes... but like everything theres always exceptions and you need to know when these are gonna happen. sometimes a backspin and into the new track early on in the mix can pick a crowd right up and introduce an element of urgency. anyway just my thoughts...

Serendipity
13-11-2005, 11:43 AM

I disagree. Both long, smooth mixes, and mixes that involve chopping, cutting and scratching are skills in their own right. I don't think you can say, for example, that Sasha is a better DJ than Jeff Mills, as both are huge superstars that made their names in their own way. I agree that transferring your mixing from studio to club involves massive differences, and in that sense I'd say that a DJ that performs long, smooth mixes all the time is probably well experienced with loud systems and different booth setups, but I would be cautious about calling them "more skillful."

"Back in the day" DJ's didn't even have the equipment available to perform smooth mixes, the set ups were crude, but the DJ's were not, they manipulated, chopped, cut and dropped tracks in such a skillful way as to make the performance as seamless as possible - making the music smooth and progressive could only be done by messing with the music so much as to confuse the audience as to what just started, and what just finished. That's a skill in it's own right, and the smoothest DJ in the world may struggle to perform the same way, thus their skills may be said to be lacking.

It all boils down to personal taste at the end of the day - I know people that cannot stand (even a good DJ) chopping the music up - they just want the music to play.

As for the initial post, I can kind of understand why crowds prefer the manipulation - it's a pretty common thing now. But at the end of the day, it makes things more exciting when done well - I always used to love the whole "unnatural sonic discordancy" with DJ's such as Mills and May chopping and generally animalistcially pogoing through music in a way that just didn't make any sense at all, and it's those dark messy moments that have the greatest effect on the dancefloor - the crowd just simply don't know what's going on.

Overall, I think it's just representative of how the scene has changed over the years, and a good DJ is a good DJ regardless of their style - so long as the music is good, nothing else matters really (except soundsystem, crowd, venue, how easy it is to get home etc etc :lol: )

fresh_an_funky_design
13-11-2005, 11:49 AM
i find smooth mixing quite boring in a club, i like to chop it up, bring the mix in straight in off the break with the eq's up, so you get a nice fat mix. sometimes i like to keep it in the mix for the whole tune sometimes not depends on the tune and the situation. But something that i do hate is when people play a tune till the end mix it in at the end of the tune then stand around the rest of the time. You need to put on a bit of a show, look like your actually doing something. Thats why chopping it up works with the crowd as your entertaining not just with your music but also by your actions. Thats why Marks sets are so memorable cos he puts on a good show, and you cant help but dance when you there's some nutta behind the decks 'avin it.

acidsaturation
13-11-2005, 02:48 PM
It depends on the mood, the place, and the people and I gues always some people will be looking for a smooth seamless set, so for mashing it up.

As I don't DJ I cant'd really say from that pint of view, but from playing live, I've had both work - where I've taken my full rig out and have a planned set thats' a lot more smooth I think you get people more tranced out and into the whole set - where I've taken minimla kit out and just pissed about with loops on the fly you do sometimes lose people a bit when you mash up and it doesn't quite work, but then there is more energy overall and to play it it's more fun...

RDR
13-11-2005, 05:24 PM
disagree antonio.. sorry.

I dont think its a good judge of skill as a DJ.. its a good judge of a persons ability to do long mixes.

As for the whole question of long or skittish...

BOTH in equal measure when needed. Its like asking the question.. long shag or hard shag..

both can be satisfying..

SlavikSvensk
13-11-2005, 05:30 PM
do a bit of both, and also do some short, sweet mixes to keep the tunes rolling and keep it varied. the most interesting DJs, IMO, are the ones who do it all.

Mucky Beats
13-11-2005, 05:42 PM
smooth blending when you carnt quite figure out when one tune end and the next begins.... is an art that is without doubt the best! BUT i feel in clubs it dont get the best response as droping a PHAT beat over the another or cutting up 2 tracks ... i guess its a crowd thing ....if you where playing to a room of djs i reckon smooth blending is the one but to a crowd of munted ravers its got to be mash it up !!!

The Divide
13-11-2005, 07:03 PM
For me a good should dj bring all techniques into play *at the right moment*

Either can be as dull or as exciting as each other depending entirely on when it’s been done. I like both. Long mixing can be great at adding depth and interaction between rhythms and sounds in tracks and sometimes something really epic can happen. However when its like this all the time it gets boring and that’s when I think the cutting comes into play to add a bit more energy and make the crowd acknowledge the dj

dan the acid man
13-11-2005, 07:07 PM
yeah, i lobve hearing long smooth mixes, but i also enjoy hearing some nice cuts and more aggressive mixing in the right places.

a good combination works for me, i get bored if i hear a dj doing the same thing every mix

anx
13-11-2005, 07:56 PM
smooth mixing, cutting, half beat tricks, scratching, all have their place. It shows most skill if a dj can do all of these, at the right moment. Some tracks are meant to be mixed to the end, some tracks get boring if you let it play for too long.

Techno is one of the few straight beat styles that actually allows for tricks, cuts ect, without it effecting the flow of the mix. Some of the stuff you can do with techno, you could not get away with for progressive or hard trance, or house. With those genres' you are pretty much limiting yourself to "smooth mixes". With a techno set, you can pick and choose your mixing style with almost every different mix.

Versatility is key. thats what shows most skill.

Aratron
13-11-2005, 08:06 PM
do a bit of both, and also do some short, sweet mixes to keep the tunes rolling and keep it varied. the most interesting DJs, IMO, are the ones who do it all.

agreed , couldn't have put it better myself , sometimes i like to do seamless mixes , other times i want to really shock and excite people, and that requires skill and spontaenity, i just improvise all the other time, keeps me on my toes and creative

The Overfiend
13-11-2005, 08:44 PM
varied opinions in here that's good, which dj's do you guys find to add both elements?
I think Sims & Eg, do this very well. Finke, Slobodan, plenty more.

Aratron
13-11-2005, 08:47 PM
well dave the drummer - rtb have got it all

anx
13-11-2005, 08:58 PM
^ dave the drummer is the best example in my opinion....

SlavikSvensk
13-11-2005, 09:07 PM
deetron.

Stella Boy
13-11-2005, 09:30 PM
I personally LOVE smooth mixing. I really love doing seemless mixing in the comfort of my own studio. But go out and play and it just doesnt seem to wash.

IMO - It's probably because you are well known for what you do behind the decks.
If a club full of people saw and heard you molding a seamless set then,maybe, they might not be into it as much because they expected the usual mark but would appreciate the different approach.

Always follow what you feel and with you stressing LOVE I take it you're feeling smooth mixes right now.

MARKEG
13-11-2005, 10:02 PM
thanks mate, that really made me think!! :)

but this topic isn t about me, it's about dj style and i have to say, JUST LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE OF OPINIONS HERE!!!!

I mean REALLY!!!

Just look. I don't think we've ever had so much difference on here! (ahhem well perhaps we have hahahha)

WOW.

you know what's so great about techno???? and mixing??? and dj's??

IS DIFFERENCE!!!

oh sod it, i've been drinking. hahah.

loving the posts ppl! BOA crew rocks!

Ritzi Lee
14-11-2005, 07:37 AM

Are you sure we arn't related?? :lol:

Anyway to take it a step higher.
It depends on the sounds / beats itself what you want to do as DJ.
If you have a break, and want to mix in another tune, you have different possibilities.
It's all about what you want. Create a wave up or down, or create a sudden climax, to make the crowd scream. :twisted:

This question you can also apply how to decide to mix in the sounds in your own productions. Smooth or throw / cut in some elements. Does it feel right at that moment?

Mindful
14-11-2005, 10:38 AM
Two comments made by a couple of the guys on here ring true with me and they are

For me a good should dj bring all techniques into play *at the right moment*

(alltho I thought all of what The Divide said is great)

if you where playing to a room of djs i reckon smooth blending is the one but to a crowd of munted ravers its got to be mash it up !!!

As mr Divide pionts out rather well a good dj should use all the techniques he has at the right time

And as Dr Mucky beats says if theres a room full of Djs/producers smooth mixing and presenting the music in a way thats more importent than whoever is playing is the way too be but to a dancfloor of people... they just want to see you rocking out and putting some energy into what you are doing.

AANNYYYYWAY......personaly I like smooth mixing,a good understanding of EQ,levels,Vibe and energy.
This is how I get the most enjoyment from mixing records and find it the only way that I can get "in the zone"and hypnotised by what im doing.
plus I find it better for creating a groove and atmosphere.
But back to what Divide was saying theres a time that pulling out your sharpest hatchet and carving a bit of blood and guts out of the sound is the right thing to do.
You just gotta feel the right time to do so.

Thats what I feel anyway.

Mindful
14-11-2005, 10:40 AM
Also Ritzis comments above my last post are great

Jay Pace
14-11-2005, 12:44 PM
Depends on the tracks, depends on the beats, depends on the crowd.

Some tracks just beg to be played with. Others demand respect and need to remain unsullied. All a question of context, and reading a crowd right. Build 'em up, knock 'em down.

robin m
14-11-2005, 12:59 PM
It's been said already but for a DJ to really hold attention they've got to do both - concentrating too much on long smooth mixes runs the risk of losing some of the crowd and having people drift off but too much chopping (especially when it's done badly - nothing more guaranteed to spoil a stomp than a DJ chopping the music every 8 bars and missing the first beat when they drop it back in again) can just get irritating and spoil the flow.

The music being mixed matters a huge amount too - it's all about finding the style and approach that best complements the records you want to play and not overdoing any one aspect of it.

gumpy green
14-11-2005, 06:37 PM
its about it all.

mixin, cuttin, skraching, tricks, smooth mixes, dropping vocals, sometimes quick mixes in and out, sometimes smooth long mixes throwng in cuts that are fast and accurate but last maybe 2 seconds. using fx or whatever toys to enhance it.

djing is djing.....not mixin.

SlavikSvensk
14-11-2005, 07:07 PM

Are you sure we arn't related?? :lol:

we might be...i've always felt eerily at home in amsterdam...like i belong there ;) and i believe we are both orlando voorn fans :clap:

S/E
15-11-2005, 01:25 AM
Whenever I've played in front of crowds, I would always do a bit of both. Sometimes really smooth and other times more hectic mixes. It all really depends on the crowd and the tracks that you are mixing, IMHO.

Like many others have said, a good DJ should be able to do both and still rock a crowd.

djshiva
17-11-2005, 09:38 PM
why not both? :)

variety is the spice of life, so they say.

i love long, smooth mixes, but i get bored easily, so some variations help. a bit of cutting, some double up tricks, some fx fun...it all has it's place.

what i absolutely abhor is sloppy tricks tho. if yer gonna do doubles, get it on beat. if yer gonna cut it up, at least make sure the record you're cutting with flows...or it sounds crap.
if you want to use fx, use them sparingly or subtly.

just my three cents...

278d7e64a374de26f==