PDA

View Full Version : compression settings

Col
29-07-2003, 07:38 PM
how many people compress their finished track? i know some people dont do this, but i also know that many people do.

could anyone be kind enough to tell me some suitable compression settings for an overall track?

audioinjection
29-07-2003, 08:10 PM
I always compress my overall track, I love how it sounds, it phattens it up nicely, but be careful w/ compression.

I usually compress ratio: 4 or 5 and -10 threshold w/ a quick attack and release.

interferron
29-07-2003, 09:54 PM
I always compress my overall track, I love how it sounds, it phattens it up nicely, but be careful w/ compression.

I usually compress ratio: 4 or 5 and -10 threshold w/ a quick attack and release.

Be careful with compression huh :) 5:1 ratio and -10dB threshold really don't sound careful to me.. but then, the settings always depend on multiple things like the genre and of course the track itself.

I rarely compress the overall track, but tend to use compression on each individual channel. If I do, it's usually something like 1.4:1 ratio (that's 1 point four to one, not fourteen :)) and 3-5dB threshold.. I like dynamics, usually I just use a limiter with a really small threshold just to cut a wee slice off the most hardest hits (-1.0dB to -2.0dB..)

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 10:14 PM
yeah without doubt 3-4 ratio and perhaps a -8 gain reduction.

choose your attack and release carefully.

i like to play with them whilst on a loop where the kick goes out and comes back in. that way you get the comp to work sweetly.

daviec
29-07-2003, 10:30 PM
These are the kind of tips I find priceless. I've always struggled with compression of my final track, but that bit about looping it and tweaking is one of those ones your slapping your head for not getting before.

So simple and yet so effective.

8)

Jimfish
29-07-2003, 10:34 PM
dont compress just for the sake of it, and definitly not because 'thats what you are supposed to do'

Col
29-07-2003, 11:02 PM
thanks guys, some nice tips there :wink:

DJZeMig_L
30-07-2003, 12:57 AM
It's a good thing 2 look at the wave of yer track u can get a preatty good idea if it has a few mf peaks or if it's more or less on the same level ...

Waves L2 can b a very good start up comp (although it does a bit more then that)...

One tip... activate all those panels and views on yer wave editor (spectograph, fase meter, level meter, rms meter, freq. spectrum...)... u'll learn a hell of a lot from that with out even knowing!!!

Z

djTequila
31-07-2003, 05:08 PM
When compressing a completed track, use a very low threshold and a small amount of compression. This will gently help bind the individual elements of the track together, without causing pumping. This is one of those tips I KEEP reading, from people who've been in the game a while. Could be more for traditional production techniques though...

Some people suggest using a phase of limiting by hand - using a peak detector (there's one in Sound Forge) to find the biggest spikes and take them down in volume by selecting the single wave and applying a volume cut to just that bit of audio... This way you can give your compressor and limiter less work to do, and listen to the result to see if anything is lost.

Also, EQing with a gentle 'smile' curve will use a psychoacoustic effect to increase apparent loudness without any increase on the dB scale (This is what the 'loudness' button does on your stereo) again giving your comp & limiter less to do. Oh, and try to use your EQ passively here... Depending on the quality and design of the EQ, boosts will usually add more artifacts to the sound than cuts.

This is especially important if you're using only software.

Tequila

go|plastic
01-08-2003, 05:27 PM
I remember reading somewhere that when compressing the whole track it's best to set the attack and release time to "automatic" if this option is available...

Jimfish
01-08-2003, 06:03 PM
all cutting engineers will tell you that they prefer uncomped masters guys..

Basil Rush
06-08-2003, 11:37 AM
yeah - but if you want an obvious compression effect best to get it compressed before it goes to mastering ....

Jimfish
06-08-2003, 12:32 PM
indeed

zaalmoetlos
11-08-2003, 06:19 PM
are you using software or hardware... as software goes this is a very good product:

http://www.t-racks.com/Main.html?TRInfo

Dave Elyzium
15-08-2003, 03:48 PM
yeah without doubt 3-4 ratio and perhaps a -8 gain reduction.

choose your attack and release carefully.

i like to play with them whilst on a loop where the kick goes out and comes back in. that way you get the comp to work sweetly.

wicked advice mate - why didnt I think of that!! this could solve the problem I have of master compression ruining the natural dynamics of a track during breakdowns, filter down etc....!

278d7e64a374de26f==