PDA

View Full Version : GB football team for the Olympics

Will
16-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Is it just me or are the SFA and Welsh FA being total cunts about this? I bet if they were being held in their own country they'd be crying out for a GB team, probably just because only one player would get in the squad from either of them... except Giggs will have retired by then, so it'd probably just be English players.

That stuff about being forced together all the time is bollocks, there's too much history, England winning the WC etc to just lump them together and they'd have to do the same thing with the leagues, so it'd never happen. Plus they're the only people in the world against the idea whereas none of the home countries would want to be lumped together permanently.

Traxx
16-11-2005, 01:47 PM
Gonna be a bit of a farce this i reckon. No welsh, northern Ireland or Scottish players would get into the England team. A few from the republic would. Its gonna boil down to picking players to keep there respective associations happy.

Will
16-11-2005, 04:00 PM
It'd be interesting to see who they got to manage it too! Actually, could have Welsh and Scottish coaching staff and English players, that'd be the best solution I reckon!

djfase
16-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Its not gonna happen. If it did ppl would complain about bias no matter what

Traxx
16-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Its gonna happen. The question is how, fairly. I couldn’t really give a fuk about it to be honest.

french_og
16-11-2005, 05:39 PM
Would the team be mainly under 21s side anyway? If I recall from previous Olympics it is under 21s plus 2 players over that age?

dan the acid man
16-11-2005, 06:09 PM
i dont think it should be in the olympics anyway

Hakka
16-11-2005, 06:14 PM
I don't think it could work... not many of the other teams have players that could really get in to the England team. Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff and Ryan Giggs perhaps would make it, but half of those are no longer the player they used to be.

Also, what nationality manager? and as already mentioned, too many bias calls will happen.

Will
16-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Yeah, but we have the British Lions in rugby, so why not in football? If we got a non-english manager, since Scotland especially seem to be better off for managers no-one could complain of bias when an all english squad was picked! Of course the ROI isn't part of Britain, so none of their players would be eligibale anyway. It's Under 23's plus 2 older players I beleive though that might be changing to accomodate more star players, I'm not sure.

They seem to be flexible to accomodate the star names anyway, changing the dates etc. It'd better happen I reckon, the home of football, our national sport, we must be represented!!!

jam
16-11-2005, 08:57 PM
How can you say that none of these nations players would get in the team in 2012?

Will
16-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Well, you never know of course. Though if the current situation is anything to go by there could well be none!

jam
16-11-2005, 10:46 PM
Yes but look at the players these countries have produced in the past,Denis Law,Archie Gemel,Duncan Ferguson (wish England had a player like him to take to the world cup) Colin Hendry,Ryan Giggs,Ian Rush,Mark Hughes,Dean Saunders,Neville Southall,George Best and erm erm still though George Best was better than anything England have ever produced.

french_og
17-11-2005, 09:20 AM
I think it would be better if the team was mainly Under 21s anyway, give them an oportunity to shine at a different level. The star players play enough matches and they will have a European championships that year anyway.

Esox Lucius
17-11-2005, 09:32 AM
Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff

errrrrrr you wouldn't get them wanting to play in any GB team.

GB - england, scotland & wales.

nick_anarchy
17-11-2005, 09:50 AM
with a GB team u can only have a few pro players in their u can thav ea full squad i thinik its 2 or 3 u are alble to have ...

nick_anarchy
17-11-2005, 09:50 AM
with a GB team u can only have a few pro players in their u can thav ea full squad i thinik its 2 or 3 u are alble to have ...

Hakka
17-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Damien Duff

errrrrrr you wouldn't get them wanting to play in any GB team.

GB - england, scotland & wales.

oh yeah, silly me!

Shame as they are quality players.

278d7e64a374de26f==