PDA

View Full Version : The recent dancefloor reaction to techno.

MARKEG
18-11-2005, 12:33 AM
I remember when I used to play LFO to some small f'ed up club in Manchester and ppl used to come up and tell me to turn it the f off or they would kill me. Sure it was obviously going off at other clubs in UK but still techno was quite unknown and generally hated in the grand scheme of things.

I'm really noticing a change right now. Especially in the UK. Techno is being accepted in alot of different types of clubs. And on the dancefloor it's really going off.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences, cause I think we might be onto something here. Hawtin's sound is being accepting in the house clubs, Leibing is on Radio One. It's really showing on the floor.

machina
18-11-2005, 12:38 AM
I agree. but i think techno is becoming a lot more digestible - much better production values and more accessible than it used to be - makes it easier for the general population to deal with. the schranz crap will never be accepted, but quality stuff is slowly becoming more accepted - techno's an accepted genre these days - people no longer associate techno with the ****ing crazy frog, so they give it more of a chance.

machina

Jay Pace
18-11-2005, 10:47 AM
After the rise and fall of prog house, club trance and the big dance bands the indie kids crossed over to, Techno is about the one form of dance music left with any credibility. Techno rode out the "death of dance music" all the pseudo style journalists proclaimed a few years back, and now they are bandwaggoning back on it. When Jeff Mills played at Lost last year it got a "knowing" reference in a 'whats hot whats not' syle barometer in the fashion section of the guardian.

When we went to see him my missus spotted two really uncomfortable looking peeps in the crowd, and accused them of being guardian journalists, to which they sheepishly responded that they were.

Whilst I personally dig the 'minimal' scene (for me represented by M_NUS, Hawtin, Villalobos, Magda etc) you can argue that it is a little faddy. People like hawtin turn in an excepetional performance and have mass appeal. There are a lot of people listening to techno now who probably will drop out again in a year or two...

I don't think you can understate the importance of techno surviving the fall in popularity of ecstasy. Drugs have and always will be important, but I don't think people appreciated that people listened to techno for more reasons than just having beat to get fuked up to. In the words of Derrick May:

"I don't take a pill to feel the funk"

dirty_bass
18-11-2005, 03:43 PM
Techno is my drug, I don`t need anything else to **** up the buzz.

MARKEG
19-11-2005, 05:43 AM
yup derrick has said alot of good shit in his life ;)

rowland the bastard
19-11-2005, 12:00 PM
i think techno is more widley accepted cause most of it is shit! more and more people are steeling a few loops off already wicked tracks and calling it there own, the clubby techno these days is more and more like house than ever. for me techno always was a term used for new up to date music, now it seems to be the cool thing to be into by chavy ****s wanting to belong to something.

keep techno new... and hard please :lol:

rowland the bastard
19-11-2005, 12:01 PM
keep techno boa014!!!!!! thats the stuff meg

S/E
19-11-2005, 04:08 PM
keep techno new... and hard please :lol:

That is our job.

We are here to push the music forward. ;)

davethedrummer
19-11-2005, 05:26 PM
techno.........great music ..........nuff said

those who don't get it...............fools

Technobitch
19-11-2005, 05:31 PM

:clap:

Stodgy
19-11-2005, 08:17 PM
You arse licker Dawn.... Just cos you fancy Henry

rowland the bastard
19-11-2005, 08:22 PM
That is our job.

We are here to push the music forward. ;)

who are you?

rowland the bastard
19-11-2005, 08:24 PM

hey technobitch, your so ****ing fit man!!!!!!!!! you da bomb baby!!!! you can bitch my techno any day.

rowland the bastard
19-11-2005, 08:25 PM

hey technobitch, your so ****ing fit man!!!!!!!!! you da bomb baby!!!! you can bitch my techno any day.

alsynthe
19-11-2005, 08:34 PM
haha dawn uve got an admirer

rowland the bastard
19-11-2005, 08:39 PM

to ****ing right mate!

Stodgy
19-11-2005, 08:43 PM

to **** right mate!

Yeah!!!

Shame he's a fvckin weirdo

Technobitch
20-11-2005, 01:30 AM

to **** right mate!

Yeah!!!

ha ha ha i can take care of myself!

Technobitch
20-11-2005, 01:31 AM
You arse licker Dawn.... Just cos you fancy Henry

no its coz i ****ing love me techno!

DJMAYA
20-11-2005, 08:43 PM
maybe its cos of the crazy frog and his matez...

they sound soo bad that finally we're all sounding much better haha.

djfase
20-11-2005, 08:57 PM
I personally think it is cos ppl are becoming bored with other types of music and that there are many different forms of techno which makes them interested.

Uve got minimal, hard, acid and the more experimental stuff, so there is choice for all tastes.

The more dance minded ppl who have listened to other music but not techno are probably wondering why techno is still rolling along and changing, while their fav sound, for instance happy hardcore, is becoming stagnent and boring making them less interested.

RDR
21-11-2005, 02:55 PM
or stalker.... ;)

Udy
22-11-2005, 03:05 PM
Djfase you made a good point.

Whilst people bemoan the changing face of techno, it is this that has allowed new styles to be created and occasionally being taken to new audiences. Something like Happy Hardcore never really changes, it can get a bit faster or a bit trancier.

So many things I consider to be techno can hook people in straight away, it doesn't have to be at light speed, just funky and/or hard. Vitalic, T. Raumschmiere, Tiga, Matt Dear...... and of these people can appeal and they all have different sounds, yeah some are a bit housey but Techno has always swallowed up various influences and spat it out in a squidgy mush.

I think Mark EG said it on a different thread, but if you set out to make a Techno track it'll probably be shit (not exact quote I know). If you set out to make something based around your influences from multiple genres you might end up with something original. Its all derivitive at the end of the day, can't escape that.

I think i've lost my original point which was the changing face of techno allows dancefloors to temporarily get into the sound and then follow it up if they so wish.

TechMouse
22-11-2005, 03:07 PM

We have a saying in Nottingham...

"Everybody likes Techno. Some of them just don't know it yet."

This has been proven true over time in every single case.

Udy
22-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Agreed

djfurness
22-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Techno is about the one form of dance music left with any credibility

Bollocks

Udy
22-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Yeah what about cod metal ey!

rowland the bastard
23-11-2005, 03:09 PM

to **** right mate!

Yeah!!!

i can take care of mice elf

dan the acid man
23-11-2005, 05:26 PM
that was as bad as one of my jokes

rowland the bastard
23-11-2005, 05:53 PM
its no joke man, i have a crew of mice and one elf as a secondary hearder, but i have to look after them all

rowland the bastard
23-11-2005, 06:14 PM
[quote="djfase"]I personally think it is cos ppl are becoming bored with other types of music and that there are many different forms of techno which makes them interested.

Uve got minimal, hard, acid and the more experimental stuff, so there is choice for all tastes.

The more dance minded ppl who have listened to other music but not techno are probably wondering why techno is still rolling along and changing, while their fav sound, for instance happy hardcore, is becoming stagnent and boring making them less interested.[/quote

thtas pretty much what i meant but written a tad differently. i say this because of the progression i went through over the last 13 years.

rowland the bastard
23-11-2005, 06:17 PM
[/quote]

ha ha ha i can take care of myself![/quote]

bleedin ell babe i said you where fit not im gonna assault ya next time see you

dan the acid man
23-11-2005, 07:13 PM
its no joke man, i have a crew of mice and one elf as a secondary hearder, but i have to look after them all

sounds seasonal, but with mice instead of reindeers :lol:

rowland the bastard
23-11-2005, 08:36 PM
more sessional mate

Technobitch
24-11-2005, 08:26 PM
ha ha ha i can take care of myself![/quote]

bleedin ell babe i said you where fit not im gonna assault ya next time see you[/quote]

i was mearly letting stodgy know that he neednt worry bout me, not making out you were going to assult :rambo: me, silly!

:twisted:

rowland the bastard
24-11-2005, 08:50 PM

bleedin ell babe i said you where fit not im gonna assault ya next time see you[/quote]

i was mearly letting stodgy know that he neednt worry bout me, not making out you were going to assult :rambo: me, silly!

:twisted:[/quote]

i was mearly trying to get your attention worked didnt it ;)

Technobitch
24-11-2005, 08:53 PM

:twisted:[/quote]

i was mearly trying to get your attention worked didnt it ;)[/quote]

too ture :clap:

rowland the bastard
24-11-2005, 08:59 PM

:twisted:

i was mearly trying to get your attention worked didnt it ;)[/quote]

too ture :clap:[/quote]

thanks i workl out

Technobitch
24-11-2005, 09:02 PM
oops that should say too true (cant spell)

rowland the bastard
24-11-2005, 09:18 PM
hahaha! i didnt notice

Technobitch
24-11-2005, 09:21 PM
just me then, it quite worrying if i cant spell basic words! far to many brain cells burnt away me thinks!

rowland the bastard
24-11-2005, 09:24 PM
just me then, it quite worrying if i cant spell basic words! far to many brain cells burnt away me thinks!

you mean it's dont ya?

Technobitch
24-11-2005, 09:26 PM
yeah

rowland the bastard
24-11-2005, 09:33 PM
yeah

thats ok, i meant work not workl, didnt pick that up either did ya :doh:

Technobitch
24-11-2005, 09:39 PM
yeah

thats ok, i meant work not workl, didnt pick that up either did ya :doh:

i did but didnt want to give you a spelling complex like me :twisted:

rowland the bastard
24-11-2005, 09:43 PM
everyone on here knows i cant spell, it aint no thing but a chicken wing yo.

rowland the bastard
24-11-2005, 10:06 PM
dirty drugs, pounding dancing, techno and music

Technobitch
24-11-2005, 10:16 PM
dirty drugs, pounding dancing, techno and music

drugs, dirty dancing and pounding techno music is one of me old fave tunes

rhythmtech
24-11-2005, 10:48 PM
:roll:

get a room....

:lol: :lol:

dan the acid man
24-11-2005, 11:20 PM
its like being in an english lesson at school watching two kids trying to get off with each other :lol:

rowland the bastard
25-11-2005, 09:56 AM
:oops:.... :lol:

Stodgy
25-11-2005, 10:22 AM
its like being in an english lesson at school watching two kids trying to get off with each other :lol:

Bet Rowlands keyboard is all covered in dribble by now :lol:

But they do say dogs and owners tend to be similar :lol:

TechMouse
25-11-2005, 11:03 AM
Bet Rowlands keyboard is all covered in dribble by now :lol:
It had better be dribble.

rowland the bastard
25-11-2005, 11:15 AM
there in a pawn shop at the moment, so no dribble on em...yet

you stodge! i forgot to give you your 20 notes, are you coming to hardlife? i'll hook you up then mate

Technobitch
25-11-2005, 12:43 PM

never went to school so couldnt possibley say :twisted:

oldbugger
25-11-2005, 12:49 PM

have you even left school yet? :lol: ;)

Technobitch
25-11-2005, 12:52 PM

sssssssssshhhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone!

rowland the bastard
25-11-2005, 02:02 PM

sssssssssshhhhhhhhhh dont tell anyone![/quote]

:shock:

TechMouse
25-11-2005, 02:04 PM
:lol: :twisted:

http://home.gwi.net/~sanpd/images/convict.gif

rowland the bastard
25-11-2005, 02:20 PM
baited jail

rowland the bastard
25-11-2005, 02:22 PM
how do you post pics on this here website boyoh's

TechMouse
25-11-2005, 02:24 PM
[img]http://www.server.com/path/to/image.jpg[/img]

rowland the bastard
25-11-2005, 02:32 PM
you might as well be mixing up the mufins on a french mans carpet for all that means to me geez

TechMouse
25-11-2005, 02:35 PM
OK, well... you find the picture you want... right click on it... go to properties... it should have the web address in there...

e.g. http://membres.lycos.fr/aciid2/Artistes/rowland.jpg

Then just put it in [ img ] [ /img ] tags... like this:

http://membres.lycos.fr/aciid2/Artistes/rowland.jpg

Selecta.

rowland the bastard
25-11-2005, 02:41 PM
OK, well... you find the picture you want... right click on it... go to properties... it should have the web address in there...

e.g. http://membres.lycos.fr/aciid2/Artistes/rowland.jpg

Then just put it in [ img ] [ /img ] tags... like this:

http://membres.lycos.fr/aciid2/Artistes/rowland.jpg

Selecta.

ah the good ole days when hair was blue and there was nowt else to do but shit loadsa mdma and lie round in the fields of sunny ole devon :lol:

rowland the bastard
25-11-2005, 02:47 PM
http://photo.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.uploadphoto&Mytoken=4DC0 9C7C-4493-4E35-8F4A463F62995CBA286981015

rowland the bastard
25-11-2005, 02:48 PM
didnt work

rowland the bastard
25-11-2005, 02:51 PM
[ img ]http://photo.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.uploadphoto&Mytoken=4DC0 9C7C-4493-4E35-8F4A463F62995CBA286981015[ /img ]

TechMouse
25-11-2005, 02:58 PM
Hmmm, that address isn't a photo, it's some kind of script.

It might return an image if you're logged into MySpace or whatever, but this forum can't do that.

TechMouse
25-11-2005, 03:06 PM
http://www.uniquerecordings.com/photos/StayUpForever/Chris%20and%20Rowland%20@%20SUF.JPG

Quality picture!

dirty_bass
25-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I¬d have to agree with the main intent of this thread in a way.
I played in a club where the main room was Garage the other week.
And the techno room crammed up a bit when I was playing, which was highly unexpected.

Hang on, maybe that`s a bad thing, it might mean that my music is similar to garage?

christ, I hope not.

dan the acid man
25-11-2005, 05:54 PM
And the techno room crammed up a bit when I was playing, which was highly unexpected.

Hang on, maybe that`s a bad thing, it might mean that my music is similar to garage?

christ, I hope not.

dirty bass, playing the freshest speed garage and funky bassline music, coming to a club near you ( only the whitest of white trainers allowed) :lol:

Lujo
25-11-2005, 06:32 PM
[/quote]
the schranz crap will never be accepted
[/quote]
Why is schranz crap????

dan the acid man
25-11-2005, 07:53 PM
the schranz crap will never be accepted
[/quote]
Why is schranz crap????[/quote]

lets not start this debate again thankyou please

thetonewrecka
25-11-2005, 08:51 PM
Speakin' for Minneapolis, I think we get spoiled here since people usually go off to techno and have for as long back as I have been going to events...93' There's a lot of shows year in and year out.
Other cities around the US have pockets that keep it represented, but I haven't heard much about how expanded events are being received, or even put on.

Even if no one wants to hear it, my machines usually tell me what they want to sing. I'm at their mercy.

Technobitch
25-11-2005, 09:06 PM

:shock:[/quote]

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:9RUMsqEhbKgJ:www.honorstudentstickers .com/images/school%2520girl%25207.jpg[/img]

Technobitch
25-11-2005, 09:10 PM

:shock:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:9RUMsqEhbKgJ:www.honorstudentstickers .com/images/school%2520girl%25207.jpg[/img][/quote]

:oops:

dirty_bass
26-11-2005, 12:54 AM

christ, I hope not.

dirty bass, playing the freshest speed garage and funky bassline music, coming to a club near you ( only the whitest of white trainers allowed) :lol:

dude, it was in essex
and the club had a VIP jacuzzi
it was sooooo chav it was super cool

dan the acid man
26-11-2005, 01:24 AM
£15 entry for the men, and £10 entry for the women who look nice in a skirt :lol:

davethedrummer
26-11-2005, 03:21 AM

christ, I hope not.

dude, it was in essex
and the club had a VIP jacuzzi
it was sooooo chav it was super cool

sorry steve
tracksuits , wet gelled hair, reebok classics and hoop earrings will never be cool

go to the back of the class!

dan the acid man
26-11-2005, 03:43 AM
has he got his hood up too, and stop chewing

dirty_bass
27-11-2005, 02:38 AM
Man, sometimes a film can be so bad it`s good.
Well this was sooo chav it was cool.
I`m going back there, and next time, I`m taking my trunks and a lilo, that way I can do my gig in the jacuzzi and sit the laptop on the lilo.

xfive
27-11-2005, 02:42 AM
Sounds like an electrocution waiting to happen!

278d7e64a374de26f==