PDA

View Full Version : help with CSS

stjohn
20-11-2005, 12:27 AM
i sat down tonight and did that webmonkey tutorial. i think i get the idea, but i have a few questions for ye, I can smell IQ and TechMouse on this one ;)

HTML tags... im not too sure where to apply the STYLES. take an image for eg. i used to have my whole page in a table, then any images or text fields that i want to move etcc, they would be in their own layer.

so now when i instert an image, to i do it on the straight page and if so which html tag do i assign the STYLE to? to the <tr> or <td>? cant remember which comes up!

the thing i dont know exactly what all the html tags are..... (coz i used to make pages the lazy way)

i have another Qs. but ill leave it till i sort this. i hope im making sense coz my internet isnt workin and im talking off the top of my head in my mates gaff.

any help would be great, even if theres a work around for what i want to do... im comfortable with the CSS commands, its just assigning appropriately is my boggle.

Thanks yall

stjohn
20-11-2005, 05:11 PM
ive figured out that you can make CSS classes to control seperate elements. are most images controlled with a simple <div>?
ie:

<div class = "header"> ... where i already have ---- .header {position: absoulte; left: 15%; right;15% } etc....

im used to controlling an image, in a layer, in a table. should i scrap my old way? it just makes images easy to drag around. but i fear that ill have to start controlling the <td>'s etc... because i cant control the header if its in a layer/table. Or can I?. :scratch:

tis all gettin me confused!!!
i really just want to be able to make the CSS template so it will be consistant throughout my site, ye know.. banner will always go to middle-top, the menu images will all sit under the banner nicely etc etc.....

wot yis fink?

schlongfingers
22-11-2005, 11:48 AM
scrap the tables altogether - css should make them redundant, although you will have to go through a lot of trial and error before you get to grips with it fully

in terms of lcss layouts, thi site is very useful - http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/

Barely Human
22-11-2005, 05:52 PM
It would probably be benificial to get to grips with php aswell. It will save you a lot of time in the long run..

TechMouse
23-11-2005, 11:21 AM
Hmmm...

in the CSS file you should be applying the style to "div.header" rather than just ".header" otherwise it will affect everything which has a class of header, rather than just DIVs.

I never use DIVs myself - is that strange?

stjohn
23-11-2005, 02:08 PM
It would probably be benificial to get to grips with php aswell. It will save you a lot of time in the long run..

i dappled in php a year or 2 ago. is this necessary for the templates that im trying to make?

if i can make the first template, and it covers the majority of elements, then i wont have to change it much for any otherl sites that i start.

you can see here: http://www.dublinpokernights.com

this is pretty much the same as most of my sites.... header: top-center, 5x menu buttons underneath, maybe a side border, saome text and images..the live site doesnt have the CSS in it yet, im still developing it. i used those percentages that you mentioned a while back IQ, to align the header.seems to work....thanks.

thanks for the info too people!! :clap:

stjohn
30-11-2005, 08:25 PM
just a quicky/quiche

how do i get rid of a bottom margin... i could do it for the top but dunno for the bottom.

see the bottom of the page here:

http://www.dublinpokernights.com/events.htm

278d7e64a374de26f==