PDA

View Full Version : Double Helix - new more experimental track from me

morphamish
21-11-2005, 09:03 PM
This is a new track from me under the name Double Helix (cos it features my partner in crime Red Texture with a healthy dose of lyrical content).

Its not what I'd necessarily call techno, with a fair bit of 'real' instrumentation in the amongst sampled electric shavers and some broken beats, but you lot are an open minded bunch so I'd welcome opinions, especially regarding mastering/levels.

http://s59.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3N686MLEK98IO2GMT6UON9KUDK

By the way, anyone who heard the last Morph track I posted up (Biggest Risks's No Risk At All) cheers for the good advice. I mastered it a further 3rd time and its now going to come out on a compilation called Tilt in the next couple of months. Thanks! I'll doubtless plug it again on here when its out...

xfive
25-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Liking this one as well.. I think the levels need to be evened out a bit though.. there needs to be more dynamics between each of the elements, as right now they all sorta slam together within the same range of volume. Too much compression on each element possibly? The synthy guitary thing that's on the 1 2 3 is a tad bit louder than the rest too. Also I find if I crank this right up, the mids and highs are there but the kick doesn't pound quite as hard as it should in relation to the rest.
I'd say try putting all the faders down and bring each piece in one by one keeping the volumes fairly low.. try to emphasize the the pieces that push the groove along first off, and then make everything else fit around that. Also some eq could help seperate some of the pieces so that you don't have to push them as loud to make them audible. That's the only problem with busy tracks like this. You have to really do some careful carving to make it all fit together and maintain the sense that's its all one gelled-together wall of sound. ;)

morphamish
25-11-2005, 06:45 PM
Ah, nice one! Glad you like it. I've done a fair bit of reworking on this one after some feedback from no future. Here's another version. Its got a more robust groove now. That synthy guitar thing I think you're referring to is an electric shaver I've got. buzzbuzz. I've pruned the arrangement a bit to keep it more to the essentials, whilst still (hopefully) maintaining most of the complexity. Also some eq carving has been done. Liking the tip about turning the faders down to get the most important elements right by the way.

http://s38.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1XMBJ5D6NDQL82X2MR4PY8SFZQ

xfive
25-11-2005, 09:00 PM
This sounds a lot better now mate, bottom end is much more full and the mix is quite a bit more evened out. Well done

morphamish
26-11-2005, 12:38 PM
Excellent. Its pretty easy to lose perspective on a track, especially one like this, so I'm glad its hanging together in your opinion too. Thinking of releasing this on a small run ( before I get entirely sick of it!)with a couple of more techno tracks on the a side, so keep an eye out mate! And thanks again. I'll definately keep posting my work up here from time to time, the insight's been invaluable.

278d7e64a374de26f==