PDA

View Full Version : RMS War...??

holotropik
22-11-2005, 05:45 AM
Been thinkin lately about the RMS levels in tracks, mainly digital stuff and how the RMS value (or grunt factor) of tracks is getting better as the technology gets better. It excites me no end when I hear tracks - mainly by unsigned/developing artists and how the levels CRANK!!

If I may mention a recent eg. from Mr. Dirty Bass who's Live set from Montreal best explains what I am talkin about. The basslines/kicks are so thick and chunky it would peel paint off the walls. I am not blowing sunshine up your ass DB but that set really rattled my chandeliers at home.

I think that the digital sound is proving itself a great replacement to the tried and tested vinyl format for this reason. Sounds are clearer and sub-freqs are much more dynamic and present. I really like where this is all going. Recently, I finished updating my Live kit and have added the Korg EMX to my set-up. Straight away I was able to get heaps more dynamics and "fatness" from my music and I am excited by the sounds I can come up with now.

I dont listen to a lot of vinyl or other commercial releases so does anyone have any words about the quality or RMS values of stuff released lately?? I mainly listen to Live stuff and I know that things are hotting up in this department.

Also, will the increase in focus on the sub-freqs be a hinderence to music as most peeps dont listen to good enough quallity systems at home or in the car (or venues for that matter). So, they miss most of the best gains made by this technology jump....??? Is this a major hurdle and can it be somehow overcome??

TechMouse
22-11-2005, 11:34 AM
Playing Live PAs means that you're not victim to the bass roll-off inherent in the vinyl format. (See "RIAA curve" for more info).

Though it's only really noticible on a system than can handle it... i.e. a good rig, or a very good home setup!

loopdon
22-11-2005, 01:56 PM
very interesting, topic, indeed!

278d7e64a374de26f==