PDA

View Full Version : Techno artists in mix tape war phenomena

gary_human
22-11-2005, 06:46 PM
I been away from the site for a while as my internet got cut off as I was out of work and didnt pay the bill, now im back in work, paid the bill and back on line and back in here. I saw Marks remarks about memebers posting more threads, so thought id give it a go.

I think more artists / labels should start releasing more mix CDs like all the hiphop artist are doing. Surely they wouldnt have to sell too many? Just a few to cover the costs? It would be a way of getting their stuff out there and would give them the opportunity to put more experimental stuff on the CDs then as the CDs would be out it would whip their arses to get on a make newer and better tracks.

I see on D.A.V.E. The Drummer's site that hes got a mix cd coming soon :clap: :clap: . And The Divide is always making mix downloads available with CD covers :clap: :clap: . Im all for it and think people shoulod get there stuff out there more.

Then maybe the blackoutaudio massive could start a techno war (like the Game vs G-Unit hype) and take on the self absorbed techno superstars?

Yeah I know a lot of people will wanna slate me but its an idea and a new thread :snooty:

rhythmtech
22-11-2005, 07:02 PM
i agree... its nice listening to sets from clubs but sometimes i wanna sit back and listen to a studio mix with all the lovely production and (hopefully) no bad mixes. have to say i'm really lookin forward to henry's mix cd.. is it hydraulix? apex? both or differant stuff from differant labels?

also anyone hear anything more about 'avin it 3 (SUF)?

eyeswithoutaface
22-11-2005, 07:06 PM
i dont think anyone would wanna slate you for this idea, its greati in theory. The problem with mixe's is unless its a pretty hyped, big commercial release no one wants to buy them, its just too easy to download them for nothing, and the difference between mp3 track downloading is that downloading mixes is something pretty much EVERYONE is happy for people to do for nothing. Even this site has a mixes for download forum, and a particulary great one at that

gary_human
22-11-2005, 07:17 PM
yeah i hear you - but what about if the artists or labels stick to a certain amount of killer tracks and then go off the beaten track a bit and put in some of their 'experimental' stuff in for instance. Im sure people will download but if the runs are limited it will put more prestige and "collector" value on the original copy of the CD - artwork n'all ?!! They could make these mixes more experimental with only their own tracks or tracks from their labels ? I have read so many times in different DAVE interviews (for instance) about his hip-hop beats and other stuff he makes apart from techno, but ive never heard it - these CDs could be a way to highlight other stuff - get it out there to the people before moving on and making better stuff. The CDs dont have to be floor filler after floor filler, just as long as the DJs got the talkover on with the "buck you down self absorbed techno superstars" shout outs on!!! Think more 2 many DJs stylee for the mix tape war circuit. They could even have little skits of self absorbed techno DJ getting a dressing down from his agent about wearing a pony tail ?!!

rhythmtech
22-11-2005, 07:21 PM
i dont think anyone would wanna slate you for this idea, its greati in theory. The problem with mixe's is unless its a pretty hyped, big commercial release no one wants to buy them, its just too easy to download them for nothing, and the difference between mp3 track downloading is that downloading mixes is something pretty much EVERYONE is happy for people to do for nothing. Even this site has a mixes for download forum, and a particulary great one at that

this unfortunatly is very true.. i for one will buy every mix cd that i cant afford (which doesn't always work out in my favour... there are some really bad mixes out there). one thing which might be an idea is for artists/labels to sell through their website on order. ie when someone orders the mix they burn it package it and post it (this is what dave ddr did for me when the "live techno bollocks" went out of print). this would be inexpensive (packaging kits are buttons these days) and would give an insight into whether there is enough interest to make a full release commercially viable. (i really would'nt be concerned about cheaper packaging if the mix was good)

rhythmtech
22-11-2005, 07:23 PM
anyone checked out Cari Lekebusch's kool & deadly mixtape with the ragga mc on it??? it rocks.. and its free on his website.

eyeswithoutaface
22-11-2005, 07:28 PM
i think even if people were to do it it would have to be self financed as most techno labels and distributors wouldnt even consider putting out a CD single at the moment never mind a mix containing, whilst still great tracks, tracks that are not considered "dancefloor" etc etc... the only techno CD single i know off in the last few years was the Natus and Arkus "Hardcore Salsa" ep which was a huge success for them.

i think people are just gonna have to settle for whatever the individual artists serv up to the plate themselves as it were, a good example being Cari's mix on his website

rhythmtech
22-11-2005, 07:31 PM
i think even if people were to do it it would have to be self financed as most techno labels and distributors wouldnt even consider putting out a CD single at the moment never mind a mix containing, whilst still great tracks, tracks that are not considered "dancefloor" etc etc... the only techno CD single i know off in the last few years was the Natus and Arkus "Hardcore Salsa" ep which was a huge success for them.

i think people are just gonna have to settle for whatever the individual artists serv up to the plate themselves as it were, a good example being Cari's mix on his website

there are mixes selling shed loads out there.. look at the Fine audio mix series along with audiophonic. they're on release no 27 or something.. they wouldn't be doing so many if they weren't making money.

eyeswithoutaface
22-11-2005, 08:26 PM
i did say most, obviously this is an example of what was asked for in the original post, so why didnt you give this great example in the original reply hehe :lol: ;)

The Overfiend
22-11-2005, 08:29 PM
I think it's a brilliant idea!

rhythmtech
22-11-2005, 08:39 PM
i did say most, obviously this is an example of what was asked for in the original post, so why didnt you give this great example in the original reply hehe :lol: ;)

because.. i... ah bugger off :lol:

The Divide
22-11-2005, 09:17 PM
I been away from the site for a while as my internet got cut off as I was out of work and didnt pay the bill, now im back in work, paid the bill and back on line and back in here. I saw Marks remarks about memebers posting more threads, so thought id give it a go.

I think more artists / labels should start releasing more mix CDs like all the hiphop artist are doing. Surely they wouldnt have to sell too many? Just a few to cover the costs? It would be a way of getting their stuff out there and would give them the opportunity to put more experimental stuff on the CDs then as the CDs would be out it would whip their arses to get on a make newer and better tracks.

I see on D.A.V.E. The Drummer's site that hes got a mix cd coming soon :clap: :clap: . And The Divide is always making mix downloads available with CD covers :clap: :clap: . Im all for it and think people shoulod get there stuff out there more.

Totally with you on this, only problem is red tape, for example I had to take the last mix down as it was in breach of a contract I signed. :doh:

I would like to see a battle style attitude too, there’s too much mincing about these days. I mean at the end of the day were all in the same boat and everyone helps each other the best they can, when they have the time. But I would like to see a little backbone and spirit. That doesn’t mean people going onto forums moaning about what’s wrong with things but actually doing what they believe in and sticking by it

Whilst on this subject I never really understood the ‘that’s an album track’ mentality as a lot of these so called album tracks, B-sides or whatever can stand out a lot more than the A-side. Its part of the reason on why I support change right now, I have seen too many instances of people trying to turn something that’s supposedly 'ruleless' into a product that’s no more manufactured than something in popular/commercial genres. I don’t blame labels for this too, no I blame the people buy them and dj’s that daren’t play something that’s a little risqué, I do like some of the big name dj’s and they stuff they play, but more and more im finding myself listening to obscure non-linear electronic music these days.

278d7e64a374de26f==