PDA

View Full Version : Locked Grooves...

Si the Sigh
24-11-2005, 08:42 AM
...whats your opinions on them?

Do you use them?

Do you think they are a waste of vinyl?

Are they an essential DJ tool?

What records have the best locked grooves on them?

I've just started using them loads recently and am looking for some more good locks. Been using lots of the Pounding Grooves locks.

The Overfiend
24-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Love them

Speedy J
Loudboxer

Ben Long's ep on Tortured had some dope ones

as did pounding grooves.

Udy
24-11-2005, 10:32 AM
There's 2 awesome stigmata lockgroove vinyls.

Si the Sigh
24-11-2005, 10:37 AM
Are they old or new? Anywhere I can take a listen online mate?

Si the Sigh
24-11-2005, 10:41 AM
You mean these?

AUDIO:

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/174752-01.htm&highlight=stigmata

DETAILS:

http://www.discogs.com/release/437307
http://www.discogs.com/release/433235

Udy
24-11-2005, 11:26 AM
They be the ones, been around for a while now. Was just fondly remembering them. Quite a bit of the back catalogue has the odd lockgroove in between tunes too.

Si the Sigh
24-11-2005, 11:30 AM
wILL CHECK SOME OF THEM OUT.

Caps lock off... :doh:

:lol:

Caps lock(ed grooves!)

alsynthe
24-11-2005, 12:15 PM
i think they would only be good if uve got 3 decks

Udy
24-11-2005, 12:21 PM
You certainly need to be a quick mover to utilise them well, I have to admit I have trouble!
Definitely sound goog with minimal stuff over 3 decks, got a mate who does some great glitch style sets like this.

gumpy green
24-11-2005, 12:37 PM
locked grooves rock...

you can do so much with them......mix em in at different point etc cos ther just loops.

i luv em.

look for speedy j loudboxer.
ergonomix (think thers a few locked one , one a double- really good)
punish all stars- good loops from the puish label.
then thers them that are just on a regular record-

hydraulix 10, some heroes one have em, some stuff from ben long etc have em....
i think all record should throw in some locked grooves as a bonus to the tracks.

heres a mix i did with nothing but loops from speedy js loudboxer and some decks and fx.

http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_loudboxer_freestyle.mp3

TechMouse
24-11-2005, 12:39 PM
DE:9 was a locked groover, wasn't it?

Si the Sigh
24-11-2005, 12:57 PM
locked grooves rock...

you can do so much with them......mix em in at different point etc cos ther just loops.

i luv em.

look for speedy j loudboxer.
ergonomix (think thers a few locked one , one a double- really good)
punish all stars- good loops from the puish label.
then thers them that are just on a regular record-

hydraulix 10, some heroes one have em, some stuff from ben long etc have em....
i think all record should throw in some locked grooves as a bonus to the tracks.

heres a mix i did with nothing but loops from speedy js loudboxer and some decks and fx.

http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_loudboxer_freestyle.mp3

D/L'ing your Locks mix now. Cheers mate.

dan the acid man
24-11-2005, 02:46 PM
not for me personally, im more into just playing tunes i love.

but i can see why they have their place

gumpy green
24-11-2005, 02:54 PM
not for me personally, im more into just playing tunes i love.

but i can see why they have their placethey work very well to "bore"(maybe not the best word) the crowd a little before just dropping in anutha track over the top and lifting the lot of them to the stars. ;)

Conan
24-11-2005, 03:01 PM
Mmm I dont know I think they might have their place in a specific type of mix now and then but I think they're a bit of
a waste as well.

dirty_bass
24-11-2005, 03:05 PM
So many tunes do sod all for 6 mins, you might as well use locked grooves, you can get more on per record, and it would mean, that instead of releasing tons of crap tunes that go nowhere per year, the unimaginative producers could just put out one record per year, and put all their locks onto it.

TechMouse
24-11-2005, 03:07 PM
So many tunes do sod all for 6 mins, you might as well use locked grooves, you can get more on per record, and it would mean, that instead of releasing tons of crap tunes that go nowhere per year, the unimaginative producers could just put out one record per year, and put all their locks onto it.
Thus conserving our ever dwindling supplies of unpressed vinyl... I like it!

Si the Sigh
24-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Grumpy, thanks for that mix! Just finished listening to it. Amazing what you can do with some loops and locks! :clap:

Great stuff.

Conan
24-11-2005, 03:30 PM
I thinks its a bit boring and unimaginative to put out a bouble pack of locked grooves like the egornomix stuff. Why bother? just make some ****in music!

And I dont accept the arguement that their good for mixing with becuase I dont know if people actually like listening to loops over and over again and Its way to easy to mix loops like that. I think techno people might listen to them and say that they're useful and fun to mess around with as would I but I think its accepting a low quality or standard of music when it could be alot higher.

gumpy green
24-11-2005, 03:32 PM
si - thanks man.

yup loops are great cos ther all at the same bpm so you can mix them very quickly in and out.

that mix was just radomly droppin the needle and mixin whatever loop it landed on......was great fun but i need to work out a proper speedy j loop one that stays true to his livesets sound but has my mix influence on it too........will be hard cos all the loops on loudboxer are 1 groove......i much prefer ones that have 5mm before locking.....thats how to make em y'all

gumpy green
24-11-2005, 03:34 PM
I thinks its a bit boring and unimaginative to put out a bouble pack of locked grooves like the egornomix stuff. Why bother? just make some **** music!

And I dont accept the arguement that their good for mixing with becuase I dont know if people actually like listening to loops over and over again and Its way to easy to mix loops like that. I think techno people might listen to them and say that they're useful and fun to mess around with as would I but I think its accepting a low quality or standard of music when it could be alot higher.

because you can mix about 10 loops in a few mins are ther the same bpm..

they are tools not tunes and it all about the djs skill and imagination what you do with them...

ill post a vid on this soon

Si the Sigh
24-11-2005, 03:38 PM
i much prefer ones that have 5mm before locking.....thats how to make em y'all

Yep, agree there. Lawrie / Pounding Grooves has made some great locks like that. Love the free 7" that was given away with PGV #25.

Conan
24-11-2005, 03:42 PM
But your imagination cant even be nearly realised if your using loops. You can layer a loop of two tracks that are playing but you need a break or a change/melody/groove to come into the mix in order to grab attention and make it effective. Throwing in another loop on top of another loop on top of another loop is just boring and not powerful or attention grabing at all.

Needless to say I dont really see the need for loops at all. I think they are the bane of techno and a bit lazy really.

Jay Pace
24-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Throwing in another loop on top of another loop on top of another loop is just boring and not powerful or attention grabing at all.

Needless to say I dont really see the need for loops at all. I think they are the bane of techno and a bit lazy really.

Try telling that shit to Hawtin.

All about how they are used, and who they are used by.

Si the Sigh
24-11-2005, 03:50 PM
Word!

Conan
24-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Thats very true I suppose its just not my thing but point taken. It aslo depends on your own preference of techno too.

gumpy green
24-11-2005, 03:57 PM
i sometime make my own loops out of hip hop vocals and use fx or stickers on the record to loop it.....

why not get some accapella ....sticker it to lock/loop it then drop it under yer fav track

gumpy green
24-11-2005, 04:28 PM
then start masing fliters and fx and adding a single loop element to a track......

locked grooves have a lot of mixin potential

dirty_bass
24-11-2005, 04:38 PM
But your imagination cant even be nearly realised if your using loops. You can layer a loop of two tracks that are playing but you need a break or a change/melody/groove to come into the mix in order to grab attention and make it effective. Throwing in another loop on top of another loop on top of another loop is just boring and not powerful or attention grabing at all.

Erm, hehe, techno is loop based music. It`s not jazz. It depends how far you want to take it. Half the techno coming out now is just a 6 minute lock any, maybe with an additional ride now and again.
Locks can be a good part of a creative set, they are not the be all and end all, and a set of nothing but loops and tricks is mind numbingly boring for most except the technique geeks, and to have tunes that actually progress and build a journey is also important.
It`s all about balance.
A DJ that can work tricks like magic but also know when to stop wanking on the decks and let the music play is a damn good DJ in my eyes.

davethedrummer
24-11-2005, 04:44 PM
lock grooves acapellas and breaks trax on 3 decks
great stuff , award yourself 5 stars

sitting listening to an hour of lock grooves on your i pod on the train ( unmixed )

very very sad.
go and wash the dishes...... ;)

DrewDavid
24-11-2005, 04:56 PM
In my experience, locked grooves became more interesting (and useful?) when used with a decent outboard FX unit - and filter, or when a 3rd deck is utilized. The 3rd deck treatment hasn't happened very often, but with an FX unit and filter I found that the loops could be modified and twisted far beyond what the original form was. This allowed you to create your own transitions, interludes, or even a completely different melody or rhythm. Used with some imagination they can be a very useful tool.

dan the acid man
24-11-2005, 05:16 PM
lock grooves acapellas and breaks trax on 3 decks
great stuff , award yourself 5 stars

sitting listening to an hour of lock grooves on your i pod on the train ( unmixed )

very very sad.
go and wash the dishes...... ;)

so last year in the pot washing department, get a dishwasher :oops:

anx
24-11-2005, 07:44 PM
locked grooves are a great learning tool if you want to learn tricks. Since they are all at 133 BPM on quartz, you can put 2 locked grooves on when you are practicing at home, and not worry about having to beat match. Its great if you want to just stand there and practice fader cuts, double timing, scratch dropping or whatever trick you feel like trying to master.

Or if you have a 3rd deck and some locked grooves aside, you can set your 3rd deck to the correct tempo and use it specifically for them while playing a set.

Great tool, responsible for teching me alot about dj'ing.

i love locked grooves!

davethedrummer
24-11-2005, 08:08 PM
locked grooves are a great learning tool if you want to learn tricks. Since they are all at 133 BPM on quartz, you can put 2 locked grooves on when you are practicing at home, and not worry about having to beat match. Its great if you want to just stand there and practice fader cuts, double timing, scratch dropping or whatever trick you feel like trying to master.

Or if you have a 3rd deck and some locked grooves aside, you can set your 3rd deck to the correct tempo and use it specifically for them while playing a set.

i love locked grooves!

133.333333recurring actually
but who's counting?

Conan
24-11-2005, 08:41 PM
Erm, hehe, techno is loop based music. It`s not jazz.

Erm, hehe, the techno that is coming out at the moment is very loop based but that doesnt mean that techno IS loop based. I guess I would like to take it pretty far and not settle for too many loops, Yes maybe some but not as many as the effect a locked groove has.

anx
24-11-2005, 08:58 PM

i love locked grooves!

but who's counting?

obviously you are ;)

davethedrummer
24-11-2005, 10:22 PM

i love locked grooves!

but who's counting?

obviously you are ;)

it WAS a joke

dirty_bass
24-11-2005, 11:34 PM
You`re all gay, and like barbara streisand

dan the acid man
25-11-2005, 12:15 AM

prefer judy garland, she makes much better locked grooves

davethedrummer
25-11-2005, 12:37 AM

i'm not like barbara streisand at all !

Jay Pace
25-11-2005, 12:50 AM
I am.

A fat jewish drama queen, and proud of it.

davethedrummer
25-11-2005, 01:20 AM
barbara streisand is not fat!

dan the acid man
25-11-2005, 02:14 AM
she's just big boned

dirty_bass
25-11-2005, 04:11 AM

i'm not like barbara streisand at all !
You are when you wear that big floral number, and those huge diamante earings.

The Overfiend
25-11-2005, 05:50 AM
http://www.alan-woodburn.i12.com/4412.jpg

MITA
25-11-2005, 09:06 AM
:love: I LOVE LOCKED GROOVES!! :love:

I use them a lot...to name a few artists..

pounding grooves,speedy j (loudboxer),mark verbos,jeff mills,ERGONOMIX fu***king looopzzz ROCK!!! i have 4 vinylz of ergo loopzz... THEN SOME OF MR. WILSONS LOOPS TOO...

hm...im sure there's more in my collection,but these i use frequently.

oldbugger
25-11-2005, 09:52 AM
i love this one. http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/77597-01.htm&highlight=locked%20grooves :cool:

loudboxer was class too. so was the one with sutekh on . forgot what thats called right now. but gonna go have a blast on it :lol:

Si the Sigh
25-11-2005, 10:15 AM
Loving some of the locks on that Acid burned my phucking brain! :clap:

Just ordered a copy and also Loudboxer.

alsynthe
25-11-2005, 10:23 AM
the epoch worx 3 vinyl has some nice locked grooves on it

oldbugger
25-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Loving some of the locks on that Acid burned my phucking brain! :clap:

Just ordered a copy and also Loudboxer.

hahahah. you wll have hours of fun with it mate. :lol:

oldbugger
25-11-2005, 11:33 AM
heres the other one i was on about but couldnt remember the name..

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/122350-01.htm&highlight=locked%20grooves

juno are amazing really didnt think they would still have all this stuff

Si the Sigh
25-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Man i've found some classics on Juno. It's worth ploughing through the whole back catalogue. Takes forever but theres some right gems in stock still.

robin m
25-11-2005, 12:57 PM
Locked grooves are great - all for them. I'm not too into people using loops for their whole set - I get bored of that quickly, but using a few here and there over structured tunes can really add something to a set.

Check out essential punishment vol 1 - 25 badass loops, I always have that to hand... other than that the PGV25 7" is quality, and for jackin Alex Peace Chicago-type loops try Faded Tools 1 on Faded Muzik... that's got some quality full tunes on it as well.

I bought a mad one the other day, 162 locked grooves on one 12" :shock: - some really interesting stuff on it from ambient stuff to industrial bangings but there's just too much and they're in no discernable order... a bit overwhelming.

oldbugger
25-11-2005, 01:08 PM
just get a cycloops if your into locked grooves.

sorted.

TechMouse
25-11-2005, 01:09 PM

sorted.

Yeah, **** it, I'll have two.

oldbugger
25-11-2005, 01:16 PM

sorted.

i find 3 a lot better ;)

TechMouse
25-11-2005, 01:58 PM

sorted.

i find 3 a lot better ;)

Well, it is the magic number.
I heard a song about it once.

Jay Pace
25-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Think I heard that.

About elves wasn't it?

dirty_bass
25-11-2005, 03:34 PM
http://www.alan-woodburn.i12.com/4412.jpg

See what I mean henry, the resemblance is uncanny, I`ve seen the photos.
I think they were on crimewatch a couple of weeks ago.
I`m just waiting for the reward money to go up a bit, then your number is up.

anx
25-11-2005, 04:19 PM

i love locked grooves!

but who's counting?

obviously you are ;)

it WAS a joke

Yea hello i just didnt get it right away ok?!
im going to go make myself some orange mocha frappacinno

wake me up...before you go go...

ok too much red bull today....

alsynthe
25-11-2005, 04:29 PM
after all this talk ive just purchased the loudboxer from speedy j. and i get my djm600 monday so im sure ill have some fun with that

Jay Pace
25-11-2005, 04:36 PM
I want cycloops

Roll on payday...

alsynthe
25-11-2005, 04:38 PM
u can cycloops for about £60 on ebay, ive heard there really good

da hound
25-11-2005, 04:54 PM
cool when playin on 3 decks

lunatrick
25-11-2005, 07:57 PM
but a pain in the ass when in a dark club...........cool for three deck peeps, but lets be honest as easy to mix as pressing 'go' on a laptop......personally not a fan!

Mindful
25-11-2005, 08:23 PM
The Egnomix ones are the best imo , also as mentioned the Loudboxer ones are great too.
I like them personaly but rarley use them(ive never used em in a club)
Its down to you what you do with them.

thetonewrecka
25-11-2005, 09:25 PM
I've always thought it would be interesting to release a triple pack with one of the records having 3 or 4 full tracks done @ 133.333 and then the other 2 records be duplicates of all the individual component pieces broken down as 20-30 lock grooves for each of those cuts(drum patterns, synths, sound fx, bassline variation). It would allow the dj to do some wild breakdowns on 3 decks with the full track playing and then accessing 2 components at once on the other decks.
Probably way too expensive of a venture, but I'll probably do something like that eventually with wav files for anyone interested.

I agree about them having to be used creatively, but they are an important piece at times. With programs like Traktor 3 adding loop pieces along with Ableton which makes it really easy to change up/modify a simple loop, maybe Labels should start offering those components for people after they've purchased the track. Good luck trying to keep that in order though.

*project plug for the interested*
I did just put together a 100 (50 per side) lock groove record of all 80's/electro reworks under the "ROKKEN" guise that comes out in a week or two through VETO.

Louk
28-11-2005, 04:46 AM
ergonomix ones rock

i got a wicked record with locks too - disx3 - sequenzed function on tresor

quality shit that is!!

Louk

oldbugger
28-11-2005, 05:58 AM
I've always thought it would be interesting to release a triple pack with one of the records having 3 or 4 full tracks done @ 133.333 and then the other 2 records be duplicates of all the individual component pieces broken down as 20-30 lock grooves for each of those cuts(drum patterns, synths, sound fx, bassline variation). It would allow the dj to do some wild breakdowns on 3 decks with the full track playing and then accessing 2 components at once on the other decks.
Probably way too expensive of a venture, but I'll probably do something like that eventually with wav files for anyone interested.

I agree about them having to be used creatively, but they are an important piece at times. With programs like Traktor 3 adding loop pieces along with Ableton which makes it really easy to change up/modify a simple loop, maybe Labels should start offering those components for people after they've purchased the track. Good luck trying to keep that in order though.

*project plug for the interested*
I did just put together a 100 (50 per side) lock groove record of all 80's/electro reworks under the "ROKKEN" guise that comes out in a week or two through VETO.

pretty sure thats been done mate. cant for the life of me thinkk who it was but it wil come back to me. x-press 2 maybe? :scratch:

Udy
29-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Chris Liebing - Stigmata compilation
If you bought that on CD you could get the unlock key to download all the ableton files used to make it.
Great fun!

djshiva
30-11-2005, 08:36 PM

well i think the point that is being missed here is that they are not meant to be a substitute for good tunes. they are like spices in a good hearty DJ soup.

use them for layering over tracks to make interesting textures, use them as bridges between tunes to set up a killer tune with a crazy breakdown (just don't let loops ride for a long time or they DO get boring), use them to work effects over (i.e. make your OWN breakdowns and groove changes), use them set offtime to cut into breaks in a tune or at the end of a measure, double them up for a little tricky fun to really get things shaking...whatever...they are versatile and only as limiting as your imagination. and frankly, to say that any of the above uses is somehow boring or not "attention grabbing" is really kinda unimaginative, INMNSHO.

just kinda throwing out some of the ways i use lock grooves to spice up a mix. i don't RELY on them, i just season with them... you wouldn't make a soup out of ONLY salt and pepper, but a dash of it can really add to the flavor of food, yanno?

Jay Pace
30-11-2005, 09:21 PM
WORD

Shiva, I have yet to read a post from you that is isn't completely spot on.

djshiva
30-11-2005, 09:54 PM
^^
why thankya!

i think i just spend far too much time relating techno to everything and everything else to techno.

yesterday i used djing as an example of how to do nonprofit fundraising...go figure... ;)

gumpy green
01-12-2005, 10:00 AM
shiva- fuk aye...

278d7e64a374de26f==