PDA

View Full Version : New tune.

AcidTrash
24-11-2005, 04:00 PM
http://s58.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1H88QT95P9S7O2SHGV2XL8N9ER

dirty_bass
24-11-2005, 04:48 PM
production is ok. Seems to lack dynamic activity, sounds like a collection of very static loops.
Those little filter sweeps are really annoying.
And 7 mins long? Almost nothing happens in this time, bar some little bits of filtering, the addition of a sweeping one note pad.
I found this pretty unimaginative, standard, by the numbers techno, lacking character or personality.
The basic main percussion behind this is ok, and does the job, but I think techno really has moved on from this sound now.

AcidTrash
24-11-2005, 04:56 PM
You're absolutely right.

Try this...

http://s43.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=065YBT8WB93W230B2WD1LF5DUD

;)

dirty_bass
24-11-2005, 06:10 PM
same tune with guitar loop added, and even more annoying filter sweeps.
Maybe if there was variation in the guitar this would be cool. Some pinch harmonics or little licks here and there.

AcidTrash
24-11-2005, 06:39 PM
I think I'm clutching at straws today to be honest. I've spent a lot of time getting the mix down right and quite enjoyed working the loop but have lost sight of the fact that the bigger picture is a complete turkey.

AcidTrash
24-11-2005, 06:42 PM
problem is, I'm the sort of muppet who goes to clubs and thoroughly enjoys loopy techno with effects and stuff. Personally I wish there were more of it but then I'm not exactly the arty type. Bit of a dunce where real music is concerned

Barely Human
24-11-2005, 07:35 PM
This isnt too bad to be honest. Ok, its not a heart wrentching emtional epic, or a new genre defining piece of music, but ive heard a lot worse played in clubs.

The main problem you have with this in a music sense for me is that guitar riff. Man that sucks. Get rid. For a production perspective, you need to sepperate everything. Widen the mids off, get that sub bass low, and get the kick to interact better with the bass with some sidechaining. Watch the levels on some of those filter effects aswell, nearly took my eardrums out ;)

dirty_bass
24-11-2005, 11:39 PM
I`m not saying everything should be a work of art, but techno as a genre has become so anodyne and samey, a little drop of passion and originality wouldn`t go amiss. Rather than just getting some loops mashing them together and running em for 6 mins. I think it`s about time those days were put behind us, less the music become devalued any further.
The I can knock out a track a day mentality and soft studios has just caused a glut of shite.

AcidTrash
25-11-2005, 06:55 AM
I happen to agree with you save for "The I can knock out a track a day mentality and soft studios has just caused a glut of shite."

Soooooo many awesome tunes are knocked out in a day. They might only take a day but what about the three or so years leading up to that day. That's all R&D for that one day. By that logic each track should be better by the day but I'll freely admit this is some shite I shouldn't really have posted.

Incidently oh wise one, have you any links to techno with a little drop of passion and originality because I sure as hell can't find any recently.

orac
25-11-2005, 09:08 AM
i like it, good loopy hard techno, not so sure about those filter sweeps, maybe they are just too often

dirty_bass
25-11-2005, 04:01 PM
I happen to agree with you save for "The I can knock out a track a day mentality and soft studios has just caused a glut of shite."

Soooooo many awesome tunes are knocked out in a day. They might only take a day but what about the three or so years leading up to that day. That's all R&D for that one day. By that logic each track should be better by the day but I'll freely admit this is some shite I shouldn't really have posted.

Incidently oh wise one, have you any links to techno with a little drop of passion and originality because I sure as hell can't find any recently.

Oh sure, good stuff can be done in a day.
But I get so many demos, and so much stuff I get is stuff that obviously has had little work or thought put into it, and the same with releases.
The "yeah, that`ll do" attitude with techno, can sometimes be to it`s detriment. It`s very very easy to just mash any old stuff together and produce it to a reasonable standard.

Any links to stuff with passion and originality?
not off hand, I tend to buy the shit I like, and not download it.
However, I can thoroughly recommend anything by luka baumann right now, the guy is making really beautiful music.
The Young Gods are also making sublime music, as is Arrovane, and a lot of the stuff on City Centre Offices.
Paul Mac seems to inject a lot of passion into his stuff now and again although he does release a hell of a lot of stuff, so some of it can come across as a bit rushed.
Furns stuff as The Divide has a lot of originality and definite personality that makes it stand out.
I dunno, I`m, not gonna go on listing stuff forever.
I admit I am pretty picky, but then, I like the music I listen to to progress, and my taste shifts as I do look at things from a more artistic perspective. One of the things I dig most is personality.
I don`t have to like the music at all, but if I can hear the individual in it, if I can hear the person who made it, in the music, then I`m all for it.
The world is full of clones all wearing the same clothes, talking about the same shit on TV, eating the same food, reading the same damn books, all blending in with each other, why join in and make music that sounds the same as so much else?

ahem.
Sorry.
Rant over.

AcidTrash
25-11-2005, 05:08 PM
why join in and make music that sounds the same as so much else?

Because I enjoy it and I like it and I want to. Were I pushing a music agenda outside of underground munt music I would be inclined to follow your thinking but the that'll do attitude is one thing I love most about it all. I get so very bored of hearing music that's trying desparately to be something it can never be. I'm of the beleif that making techno arty is about as much use trying to make psytrance dynamic.

as for your assertion that "It`s very very easy to just mash any old stuff together and produce it to a reasonable standard. " I tend to disagree. I know several musicians with ten times the raw talent I have who are utterly hopeless producers and can barely string a realistic loop together. IT's easy for you perhaps and me these days but it's easy saying somethings easy when you've been doing it for years.

There is a that'll do attitude which does diminish music and in this instance you've correctly spotted it so ten points to you. Well done. Have a biscuit.

Can you feel the love? ;)

Mindful
25-11-2005, 10:44 PM
:lol: exelent thread, the tracks not realy doing it for me tho to be honest.
Quite nice production tho Pedro.

dirty_bass
26-11-2005, 01:06 AM
I'm of the beleif that making techno arty is about as much use trying to make psytrance dynamic.

)

I`m not talking art, I`m talking personality and individualism. Which is art I suppose.
If you have personality, then you should be able to inject it or at least try, into your music.

And some of the new psytrance I`ve been hearing is very dynamic, and quite raw, and pretty damn good. Not that I`m really into it.

And techno always was a little high concept, it`s where it came from, you did however come from the hard house scene into techno, which would account for your take on things, which is fair enough.

My point is basically, and not even aimed at you in particular, but more a general comment.

Music is a product of a mind and a soul, and should in some way reflect the personality of the maker, or else it`s no better than a mass produced plastic christmas cracker toy.

AcidTrash
26-11-2005, 02:57 PM
mass produced plastic christmas cracker toys are ace.

rhythmtech
26-11-2005, 05:28 PM
[quote=AcidTrash]
Music is a product of a mind and a soul, and should in some way reflect the personality of the maker, or else it`s no better than a mass produced plastic christmas cracker toy.

although i agree with you steve there is also the point that what you see as mindful & soulful may not be what pete sees. i'm pretty sure he wouldn't post a track here withouth having worked hard at it and put soul into it. that to me is art..

i personally dont like van gogh... but theres no disputing that its still art. and you might not like some of petes stuff, and you're right to criticise production/engineering wise (which is the point of this forum) but each to their own.

AcidTrash
26-11-2005, 07:01 PM
No, he's quite right. this one is toss.

rhythmtech
26-11-2005, 07:17 PM
No, he's quite right. this one is toss.

:lol: :lol:

well thats just bloody great....

steve, forget what i said... its toss!

dirty_bass
29-11-2005, 04:47 PM
See, you can`t argue with the great magnet.

278d7e64a374de26f==