PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good compressor...

djTequila
31-07-2003, 05:20 PM
I think my next purchase will be a good compressor... I'm liking the slow migration to hardware, and although I think I'll never get more than one synth (I'm getting some very pleasant noises out of software) I can see the advantage in getting outboard equipment. Compressors, especially, seem to be a whole different beast where hardware is involved.

So, can anyone recommend any good, cheap compressors with a rich, warm sound? The magazines have good things to say about the FMR RNC1773 Really Nice Compressor and the TLA Fat 1 and Fat 2. But I don't trust magazine reviews too much - they generally give good reviews to stop their ads getting pulled.

Cheers, guys!

Tequila

Jimfish
31-07-2003, 05:31 PM
FAT1 is wikkid - i think 2 has mic preamps which you might not need...
the FMR is ruuuude, it is a very good comp - i would actually get this - but i think the FAT is a bit cheaper (second hand)

the other thing is to check the second hand market (sound on sound website is good) for somthing from the first range of TL audio Ivory gear as ive seen this stuff you for 140-170 quid and its shit hot for the £££

herman
31-07-2003, 09:28 PM
yeah depending on your price range of course but you cannot go wrong with an tla ivory think they are about £350 - £400 now

DJZeMig_L
31-07-2003, 10:25 PM
Joemeek aswell...

Klark technic is really good :)

Z

Price rance says it all m8,

Z

djTequila
01-08-2003, 04:26 PM
Wicked! Cheers guys...

Does the Really Nice Compressor have a sidechain input?

Tequila

systemic
01-08-2003, 07:21 PM
i have a focusrite penta platinum and i have to say, until i bought it i thought i could be satisfied with just software compression, but the sound it puts out is so tight and transforms anything i put through it, particularly loops from my drum machine.

davethedrummer
03-08-2003, 02:19 PM
drawmer dl221
old skool transistor compressor
does to your drums what pamela anderson does to your pants!

audioinjection
05-08-2003, 05:40 PM
focus rite are great, and universal audio.

Basil Rush
06-08-2003, 10:33 AM
I had an RNC and in the end lent it to a mate of mine as I didn't use it - I prefer the Waves rCompressor, but I do have a pair of Urei LA-4 limiters which are absolutely fantastic and solve problems that Waves won't touch.

Really want some more compressors actually ... trouble is I also want some more ins and outs on the computer to connect them to and I think this may become an expensive option ...

ps. anyone else had a fiddle with the new Waves Transform stuff there's a couple of good things in there though the timestretch tool is far clunkier than I was expecting...

djTequila
06-08-2003, 04:06 PM
drawmer dl221
old skool transistor compressor
does to your drums what pamela anderson does to your pants!

Do I want drums that are flat as a pancake?

;)

I'll look into that... Are they still around? Looking at other models in the range on the net, they look suspitiously like the units which convinced me that outboard compression was the way to go! :D

Might have to save up - they're a bit pricey for me right now :(

Tequila

Basil Rush
06-08-2003, 05:37 PM
On the drawmer tip, anyone want to buy a DS201 gate off me?

278d7e64a374de26f==