PDA

View Full Version : MIDI vs. Audio

benzene
26-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I was wondering at what point people bounce their MIDI tracks down to audio. And how you organise the MIDI tracks/soft synths the audio came from.

I'm using Cubase SX and VSTIs, and the problem I have is that as I use more and more VSTIs pretty quickly I have to start bouncing them down. Fair enough but even if they're not playing Cubase is using shedloads of RAM in no time (like 800MB) and I have to start removing the VSTIs entirely from the project. Problem then is it starts to get confusing which audio tracks came from which instrument/MIDI track etc.

How does everyone manage a tradeoff between keeping the original MIDI/soft synths somewhere safe, and having a system that's not on the verge of crashing?

FIK
26-11-2005, 04:14 PM
I bounce em as soon as I've got a decent sound or pattern going. I just mute the midi-track and when I want to alter the sound I simply bounce it again. I think this is how most of us work

vadarfone
27-11-2005, 10:58 AM
I build all of my tracks from audio.

I make all the sounds in synths, bounce them down and process them from there.

You will be suprised how much tighter your tracks will be if you ditch midi this early on in the process

tocsin
27-11-2005, 02:55 PM
How does everyone manage a tradeoff between keeping the original MIDI/soft synths somewhere safe, and having a system that's not on the verge of crashing?

Labelling and placement. But, I use Sonar. When I need to do this, I often just use the freeze track option.

rhythmtech
27-11-2005, 05:31 PM
i tend to get them bounced down to audio asap. if theres a lot of effects automation need, i'll usually record the whole file, bounce it down and re-import it as a full wav. if theres only minmal automation needed i'll bounce down to rex loops immediatly and then draw in automation. working with rex/audio gives you a lot more scope as far as plug-ins and editing are concerned.

benzene
28-11-2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the answers - makes sense to me to bounce em down as early as possible.

Yes I guess audio is more powerful to work with - that and it will prevent me from going back and tweaking MIDI patterns too much ...

Miromiric
28-11-2005, 11:07 AM
once i bounce to audio i save the cubase project under different name, so i can go back if i want to change something on VSTs.

BloodStar
28-11-2005, 11:46 AM
i also bounce to audio as soon as i've got decent sequence done. i mostly leave it without any effects and doing it then after i reimport the audio file.

was also wondering if muting VSTi is helping to CPu,. i think not. because even it's not playing and it's muted, it's still calculated on fly, so itl takes some cPU power, or?

Miromiric
28-11-2005, 11:59 AM
it does, but not as much. same as when no midi signal is present. but still, it drains some cpu power.

BloodStar
28-11-2005, 12:09 PM
sometimes it drains pretty much CPU,,with synts like Oddity, Rhino or such hungry beasts, even it's muted.

TechMouse
28-11-2005, 12:30 PM
What about if the MIDI is muted, and you power off the VSTi? (Keeping settings, but disabling the plugin).

Miromiric
28-11-2005, 12:32 PM
it helps, but its not the same as getting rid of them completely. check for yourself, load VST performance and test it.

rhythmtech
28-11-2005, 12:33 PM
if the vst is powered off then there is no processing, so cpu drain is reduced. but then you dont hear anything... (unless you've bounced)

TechMouse
28-11-2005, 12:36 PM
if the vst is powered off then there is no processing, so cpu drain is reduced. but then you dont hear anything... (unless you've bounced)
Yeah, that's what I figured. But presumably it still uses some RAM for storing the setting etc.

danielmarshall
13-12-2005, 05:32 PM
I guess the best option is to try and be conservative with the way in which you're using FX to start with.

Basil Rush
13-12-2005, 08:42 PM
MIDI is for girls! :)

The 818 Kid
21-06-2007, 06:03 PM
^^lmao..

FILTERZ
22-06-2007, 01:35 PM
i dont bounce down until i have to .

i allways have loads of different controller information on my synths and i like to change it all on a bar by bar basis as the tune progresses also i often have a few chords and the odd key change , i like to be able to change key or try out different chord versions , inverted , diminished etc in different sections of the song . once its bounced its just a loop and as such limiting . Audio is a hell of a lot tighter though .

BRADLEE
22-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I write all of my patterns, bounce them down to wave files....re-import them to the project...do my edit work....do a bit more arrangement, then do more edits to my wave files from there as needed within the project. Works best for me.

dirty_bass
22-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I virtually never bounce down until the final render of the whole tune.
Unless I want to do some audio specific edits to a certian synth, I might bounce it down and then edit the audio track, but very rarely.
Lots of vsti, lots of automation.

stjohn
22-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I virtually never bounce down until the final render of the whole tune.
Unless I want to do some audio specific edits to a certian synth, I might bounce it down and then edit the audio track, but very rarely.
Lots of vsti, lots of automation.

nazi

dirty_bass
23-06-2007, 03:18 AM
nazi

I am the serendipity nazi

tekara
23-06-2007, 09:52 AM
i bounce down from midi to audio once i like what i hear and have a basic idea of the direction of the track.

For me, i bounce down to audio nott out of choice but a necessity. I have noticed tthat if i dont force myself to bounce down, i end up fiddling with midi notes for DAYS and in the end get nothing done.

Sometimes u just gotta force yourself to work with what you have and print down to audio and deal with it later.

Alphajuno
28-06-2007, 10:28 AM
When you guys say tighters. What are you talking about? Timing errors in the MIDI? Is this the case even with an all software setup?

tonyc2002
28-06-2007, 11:06 AM
dunno about other sequencers but in live 6 you can track freeze midi tracks which temporarily renders it as audio. if you want to adjust any of the plugins settings you just unfreeze the track. snorted :)

278d7e64a374de26f==