PDA

View Full Version : Mackie vs behringer

lunatrick
01-12-2005, 06:46 AM
Ok before anybody starts shouting mackie,mackie - behringer are shit.....hear me out. I am currently looking for a smaller mixer as I do everything on my PC - like the rest of the world. I have a mackie 2404vlz (which will be for sale if anybody is interested), now I was thinking of a 14 or 16 channel second hand mackie to replace it. However I've noticed that for £150 I can get a brand new behringer mixer with effects built in. This seems suspiciously cheap however a friend bought a behringer for his laptop setup, and is perfectly happy with it, so is mackie worth the extra cash? I don't record live instruments so the pre-amp quality doesn't matter to me, I just want it for my soundcard and decks etc........and from I can tell the build quality is fine on these things.....does anybody have any experiences - good or bad that wil influence my decision?

tekara
01-12-2005, 08:35 AM
mackie mackie mackie! behringers are shit!

j/k ;)

honestly? If you dont really need the preamps, then it doesnt really matter which one you go for, but having said that, i think the Mackie EQ's are pretty good. If i were you, i'd invest in a 1604VLZ mixer or something......you cant go wrong with those.

fatcollective
01-12-2005, 11:16 AM
soundcraft are pretty good, this E12 is only £230.

http://media.venda.com/dv247/ebiz/digitalvillage/invt/12851/12851_l.jpg

Electrictribe
01-12-2005, 11:53 AM
yeah i'd get a soundcraft over the behringer. my mate has a behringer and the faders started to go crackly quiuckly and the overall sound could be better really.

messyfuture
01-12-2005, 01:00 PM
check out these mackie mixers too, they have bulit in fx as well

a mate of mine has one hes says its great sounding and there pretty cheap, could only find a us site with them but there $200 for the 6 channel and $250 for the 12 ch

http://www.mackie.com/products/dfx6/index.html

http://www.mackie.com/products/dfxseries/index.html

lunatrick
01-12-2005, 01:39 PM
hmm yeah maybe I should go for a soundcraft over a behringer....

FIK
01-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Comparing Mackie to Behringer to me is like comparing a Vauxhall with a Ferrari.
I own a Behringer with these built in fx and they're absolute shite. The fx don't have any parameter control other than dry/wet. Just stick with Mackie I would say. If I'd known at the time I would have bought the Mackie

fatcollective
01-12-2005, 04:24 PM
we have a mackie desk and they arnt cheap, but they are well worth the money.

but if i had a choice other than mackie i would go for Soundcraft.

lunatrick
01-12-2005, 06:01 PM
Comparing Mackie to Behringer to me is like comparing a Vauxhall with a Ferrari.
I own a Behringer with these built in fx and they're absolute shite. The fx don't have any parameter control other than dry/wet. Just stick with Mackie I would say. If I'd known at the time I would have bought the Mackie

I think this may have swung it for me.....

christian wagner
01-12-2005, 09:16 PM
a mackie desk will last, thus saving money on buying new behringers, there very poor, thats why there cheap. why people buy there stuff iv no idea!

eyeswithoutaface
01-12-2005, 10:03 PM
id very confidently say you'd get a much better sound simply from some top end software than you would from running anything through one of those shitty little behringers, they truely are awful

stjohn
01-12-2005, 11:54 PM
excuse my ignorance, but feck it im a learner....... any hardware , it goes in to the mixer, yea ???? and then mixer to the soundcard? and can you then control cubase, logic etc with the mixer???? im new to all the setting up of things and i wouldnt mind a little mixer to start off! any info would be great!

lunatrick
02-12-2005, 08:13 AM
excuse my ignorance, but feck it im a learner....... any hardware , it goes in to the mixer, yea ???? and then mixer to the soundcard? and can you then control cubase, logic etc with the mixer???? im new to all the setting up of things and i wouldnt mind a little mixer to start off! any info would be great!

yep thats right, although in my case I've got rid of all my hardware and so just need a little mixer for my soundcard outs (8) and then some returns back to soundcard (2) for recording....and then a few extra inputs / outputs for my decks,amp etc.....so I'm going to feed my soundcard through an external mixer, apply a bit of compression and then record it back in....hope this makes sense!

acidsaturation
02-12-2005, 01:16 PM
Does anyone else find they cna never find a mixer with the right number of inputs

audioinjection
02-12-2005, 01:41 PM

yeah, but you cant control the software unless the mixer has some sort of usb or firewire port....and has some sort of software or drivers that allow u to control the software.....hope that makes sense

but you could route the outputs from the software to your external mixer and use your mixer to control your mix

does that make sense :doh:

stjohn
02-12-2005, 10:10 PM
yea thanks luntrinjection!!!!! ive never really messed around with a mixer like that, maybe just at a party with a band playing... which is obviously just all intruments in. i see what you are gettin at though. if i decide to get one, i can route any software out to the mixer for a little EQ and external compression!! then do you u route back to a master program??? how does it arrive back in say cubase??

FIK
03-12-2005, 05:10 AM
yea thanks luntrinjection!!!!! ive never really messed around with a mixer like that, maybe just at a party with a band playing... which is obviously just all intruments in. i see what you are gettin at though. if i decide to get one, i can route any software out to the mixer for a little EQ and external compression!! then do you u route back to a master program??? how does it arrive back in say cubase??

In cubase you just activate the input you want to record from , this is done in vst-inputs window I believe.Then you create an audio track and change the tracks input in your inspector window to your desired input source. After that arm the track and hit the record button. Most sequencers (or DAWs) work like this, they all just have a slightly different way of internal routing.
In this way you can put external fx on the stuff coming out of your computer and then record it back into the machine, but you can also record your hardware synths, microphones, guitars,.... into your sequencer.

stjohn
03-12-2005, 07:41 PM
danku/merci ;)

dan the acid man
04-12-2005, 01:20 AM
a mixing desk adds alot to your sound, so you shouldn't buy anything that doesnt sound good, so please, stay away from behringers, they're truly cheap horrible pieces of hardware

Basil Rush
05-12-2005, 02:16 AM
a mixing desk adds alot to your sound, so you shouldn't buy anything that doesnt sound good, so please, stay away from behringers, they're truly cheap horrible pieces of hardware

We should have that in an FAQ somewhere.

Behringer: A bit Shit.

To be said though I have a headphone amplifier in the studio made by them, and apart from one level meter never worked from the day I got it out of the box you couldn't ask for more for 60 quid and it's fine for headphones for when you're working with microphones and stuff.

You wouldn't want to have anything go through it that was important though ... I had a mate with a mixer and everything that came out of it had a certain lack of quality to it. I've had about another 5 behringer units in the studio in the past one way or the other and I'm delighted to say they have either been skipped, given away or sold now.

Some of the stuff they make is complete tosh. Good features list, nice looking manual, massively crap kit.

FIK
07-12-2005, 02:31 PM
danku/merci ;)

Geen probleem (No problem) :lol: :lol: :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==