PDA

View Full Version : Promoting Techno Help

new
01-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Ok, so here's what I got:

I got a club to promote out of every Saturday night. It's 550 people big, and it's pretty nice and has cheap drinks and just opened so there's nothing negitive or positive about it really.

I got a city which has a population of about 200 000 people - small and no other big cities around.

I got a community of people who are in love with the cheesiest of house music.

I also got the love and support of a half dozen techno djs (that's about all of us) and producers from here, and a half dozen ladies who simply love the music and want to see it thrive in any way possible.

My goal is to make techno popular in this danm city again.

Help! What can I do?

Right now I'm pretty committed to using one of the nights in the club a month as a techno only night. I also want to start another, smaller weekly at a club that sells super cheap drinks and do the weekly during the week. Maybe a wednesday night or something. I publish a electronic scene 'zine here, and do a weekly radio show. These are all my assets.

Any suggestions? Anyone can help?

I want to see techno thrive!

fatcollective
01-12-2005, 04:20 PM
give out free techno Cds...?

Jay Pace
01-12-2005, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't go in at 550 strong. Thats a big club for a small community without much support for techno. Can you do anything to shring it? Make it more intimate?

Maybe take over a few bars and try and build up an organic techno following. That way you can be sure to get more people through the door.

SlavikSvensk
01-12-2005, 05:42 PM
word...start small, build. better to have a full room of 100 than a 4/5 empty room of 500...

dirty_bass
01-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Yeah, you can do it 2 ways really.
Start small and build, I think this is the best way.
You get a lyal following, and word of mouth then becomes your helper. Make it small and personal, stay in touch with all the people that go to the night when it is this smell, develope a relationship and do little extra things to thank them for supporting you, free CD`s etc.
The other way, is to do a 2 room thing, and have house in one room and techno in the other, and hope some of the house crowd amble into the techno room.
Not the best way, but it can work.

stjohn
01-12-2005, 05:49 PM
music wise: maybe promote the night as a house/electro/techno mashup. so people get every aspect... teh house heads will like the start and once the place is grooving and people are enjoying themselves, the nights should progess naturally.

Jay Pace
01-12-2005, 05:49 PM
Organic is much more satisfying.

Nothing like putting on a night and recognising all the regular faces. That way you build your own party vibe, and you end up with something unique and special.

Beats blowing your budget on an overpriced undertalented headliner who draws the crowd alone. Then you just end up holding a dj-concert rather than building your own night.

Serendipity
01-12-2005, 11:07 PM
Where are you?

Techno? On a Wednesday? Nah, don't bother. Focus yourself on one night, and build.

new
02-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada - thats where I'm at. North of Maine, east of Montreal, west of nowheres.

What'd ya think about headliners? Who should I bring to ween them over? Do you think I should go for a housey techno (think Mateo Murphy, Ignitician Technician) guy or should slam straight in with a harder techno guy (think Misstress Barbara or someone)?

el salvador
03-12-2005, 03:07 AM
you'll need a good warm up dj to start with. i heard it is so cold there you will need some hot talent to burn up the dancefloor

MARKEG
03-12-2005, 03:31 AM
well obviously cost is going to be a big issue if you're starting small. so i say go for names that dont cost the earth. i also say do your research on who is nice to work with and who isnt. nothing will destroy you more than a few nights where you've lost money and the dj has been a complete ass hole. you need good, understanding ppl around you, who will pick you up at your low points. that's what i love about the smaller techno scene actually - everyone doesnt mind helping each other out.

and yeah you need quality residents. really think about this one - and make sure musically it flows. ie dont put the banging hard techno dj on at the beginning, get everyone sweating and then bang in with minimal. give things a purpose.

also, try to have your money needed for the night before the nigth. don't rely on the door.

;)

278d7e64a374de26f==