PDA

View Full Version : cross over choons ?

edk
02-08-2003, 02:48 PM
ive really started listening to a lot more techno recently ! and knowing how purest techno djs are i just wondered what you guys thought of the, cross over acid techno/hard house tunes ! r they a good or bad thing ? i am talking stuff like mr.pusher-pusher one " missy elliot sampling", f-angel & rowland the bastard, one inch deeper, and dave the drummers mix of paul glazbys acid disco ?.
i know these aint out and out techno tunes, but they are by top techno prouducers but are getting kanned by the likes of andy farley and anne savage !
i also noticed when mark played at slinkys that it was the techno tunes that got the crowd going the most !
techno seemily has survived by sticking to its underground roots in the past, so is the fact that commercial djs are playing this stuff a good thing for techno ?

wenna
03-08-2003, 11:30 AM
crikey man ur brave!! last time i used the term 'purist techno' on here i got my nutts blown off!! :D

acid crossovers :P i love Brain recordings and virtualacid on Suntec. Obviously there are loads more aswell :arrow:

davethedrummer
03-08-2003, 11:33 AM
oh god
here we go
well as far as I am concerned
most people gag at calling me a TECHNO producer
then again i'm just NOT a hard house producer
but i don't really make very much ACID techno either
so boll*cks to it all i'll remix who i want when i want
and release what i want i don't think it'll make any difference
at all. anyway o gotta go shopping now with my mum!!!!
selling out is in the eye of the consumer

Paul Nisbet
03-08-2003, 11:41 AM
yeah i know its all dance music...

who cares tbh... i cant see dave the drummer remixing flip and fill, and aslong as things like that dont happen, i think we can all go too sleep knowing that peeps like him are still taking things forward... so it doesn't matter who is playin them.

Xtraction
03-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Make what you are.....not what people say you should be. To me, that's always been the good artists.

Tr3v0r

Xtraction
03-08-2003, 12:03 PM
Oh yeah, as far as the new directions music is traveling, I see everything getting a lot more technical, regardless of the content. It's very rare to hear something origonal, yet simplistic anymore.

davethedrummer
03-08-2003, 01:56 PM
well i don't think it matters a toss really
dj's will play what they want essentially and people will dance to what they like.
if you are a dj with any taste or sense you will try to play music that gets people going and balance it with more "experimantal" tastes to see how things go down.
unless you are blessed with a jaw dropping sense of taste /style and a record collection into infinity you will almost certainly have to compromise at some point. unless you are just downright arrogant and pig headed about your music ( plenty of people are like this, i just don't get it but there you go) you will want to play something to get a crowd on it's feet.
which is where i get back to the point about a crossover (yawn)
that's all these dj's are doing! andy farley/ bk / anne savage / fergie (the antichrist) etc etc
they are just playing music ( for whatever reason ) that makes people dance, which basically means thier taste is being dictated by the dancefloor (not the media or fashion police as everyone would love to believe)
at the end of the day these particular djs and more are known for playing hard uncompromising party music and if they play some hydraulix's or compunds or whatever then great 'cos that means the people are asking for it. believe me these guys do not play to a room full of lads scratching their chins and taking notes. they are party djs which to me means techno is in demand for parties which is a good thing and i defy anyone to tell me it isn't ( which you probably will but i'll enjoy reading the response)

Paul Nisbet
03-08-2003, 03:17 PM
Ahm not into hard house.. but i hate when peeps dismiss others from different scenes without them actually hearing the dj. I seen bk a couple of months back, it was one of the best sets ive seen all year, he was good on the turntables, played a diverse range of music... really, he was very good.

edk
04-08-2003, 11:33 AM
i am not dis'ing the djs who are playing them, as i like the tunes they are playing and as dave said thats whats its all about. more people listen to techno, more people buy techno, this has to be a good thing.
i played at a free party a few weeks back and i played the "acid disco track" i had a few people ask me what it was when i told the the label they said it wasnt real techno ! :shock:
its like when you tell people you play uk hard trance they think "hard house" despite the fact that nothing i play sounds remotley like hard house it was just the first time i had experienced it with techno

Bughead
07-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Thought crossover was something Dirty Rotten Imbeciles did a good few years ago. :lol:

A bit like Eskimos in Egypt's "welcome to the future"

davethedrummer
07-08-2003, 06:39 PM
oh god
eskimo's in egypt
aaaarrrggh
what a ffuucckkiingg terrible band
please don't mention them again i'll be sick!

Bughead
07-08-2003, 06:44 PM
Hey Dave

Eskimo's in Egypt :lol:

hehehehe

Adverse
07-08-2003, 07:08 PM
well i don't think it matters a toss really
dj's will play what they want essentially and people will dance to what they like.
if you are a dj with any taste or sense you will try to play music that gets people going and balance it with more "experimantal" tastes to see how things go down.

does that include that terminal m record henry LOL

278d7e64a374de26f==