PDA

View Full Version : new tune - square bass

Stodgy
04-12-2005, 03:27 PM
All night, a bottle of smirnoff and a few buds and this is what was left when I woke up,
so tidied it up and recorded it.
Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated.

http://www.fatcollective.com/audio/jonnysmart/Square_Bass.mp3

rhythmtech
04-12-2005, 04:00 PM
just listenbin now.

this sounds really good, bottom end is a little boomy but maybe thats intentional cause it wouldn't sound outta place in this type of track.
shhhhiiiittttt... just hit the break and the bass has dropped.. MAYHEM!!

DO SOMETHING WITH THIS TUNE. THIS WILL SERIOUSLY ROCK A DANCEFLOOR!

Stodgy
04-12-2005, 04:01 PM
;)

orac
04-12-2005, 04:34 PM
great track, nice little edits, nothing to add, i see this on vinyl friend :)

Stodgy
04-12-2005, 10:58 PM
wicked, glad your liking this folks ;)

fatcollective
05-12-2005, 03:21 PM
top tune Mr Stodgy!

dirty_bass
05-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Nice stuff.
I`d say you could still tighten this up a bit further though.
The bass could maybe be taking up a little too much room, as it`s making the mid range a bit woolly and muddy. Is there reverb on it? That might be the problem.
If not, try cutting out some of the mid range frequencies from the bass.
I think the kick could also push just a little bit harder.
There`s also some inbalance in the top end, the main 909 open hat seems a little too loud, and throws the mix out of balance as it makes the track top heavy whenever it comes in.
Once that big filtered, whining syth kicks in the track does get a lot more muddy too.
I think as this was done in such a short period, you just need a few days off and clean ears before you come back to it to do all the clinical subtractive EQ to add the final polish. Generally this is best practice in any given situation I would say.
Nice track though, reminds me of the good days of SWOP records and drizzly.

Stodgy
05-12-2005, 05:20 PM
Nice 1 Mr Bass. Some very handy tips there. I can think back and see what your saying abiout the hats. It did seem very laid back in the mix at the time so I've probably over done it a bit. A new version will be forthcoming soon ;)

Technobitch
05-12-2005, 05:25 PM
nice tune mart!!

some quality techno to be heard!

Artone
13-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Just had a listen to this one, good track. I'll give this one a try on the club sound system soon!
Keep it up!

loopdon
15-12-2005, 11:04 AM
Nice stuff.
I`d say you could still tighten this up a bit further though.
The bass could maybe be taking up a little too much room, as it`s making the mid range a bit woolly and muddy. Is there reverb on it? That might be the problem.
If not, try cutting out some of the mid range frequencies from the bass.
I think the kick could also push just a little bit harder.
There`s also some inbalance in the top end, the main 909 open hat seems a little too loud, and throws the mix out of balance as it makes the track top heavy whenever it comes in.
Once that big filtered, whining syth kicks in the track does get a lot more muddy too.
I think as this was done in such a short period, you just need a few days off and clean ears before you come back to it to do all the clinical subtractive EQ to add the final polish. Generally this is best practice in any given situation I would say.
Nice track though, reminds me of the good days of SWOP records and drizzly.

i think it is very kind of you to offer such an input, dirty. you really should put up some tutorials imho. on topics like reverb and stuff, i liked your tips about kick compression :thumbsup:

Stodgy
15-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Yes, this feedback is much appreciated, and when I finally get the moment to apply these tips I'll post the results, just not had the time for a while. :)

dirty_bass
16-12-2005, 01:54 PM
i think it is very kind of you to offer such an input, dirty. you really should put up some tutorials imho. on topics like reverb and stuff, i liked your tips about kick compression :thumbsup:

Funny you should say that.
I`m not going to do any tutorials, as they would end up biased towards my own methods. It`s a lot easier to just liten to something and then work out what could be done to improve it.
I am however doing a big list of top production tips for the production section here, that I`ll post when they are all finished.

dan the acid man
19-12-2005, 05:02 PM
cool, this track is really good, nice percussian and bassline, just needs better eq and a bit of a tidy up like the above posters have already said

dan the acid man
19-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Just had a listen to this one, good track. I'll give this one a try on the club sound system soon!
Keep it up!

erm, i dont suppose its for me to say, as its not my tune.
maybe you know stodgy or something, but i'd personally ask the writers permission before i played out somebodys tune thats been posted here for feedback

Artone
19-12-2005, 08:21 PM
Keep it up!

maybe you know stodgy or something, but i'd personally ask the writers permission before i played out somebodys tune thats been posted here for feedback

I think this is worth a discussion thread as I'm not sure if I can agree with you. In this particular case I got in touch with stodgy and as I said I played his tune on 2 clubs sound systems in front of people and P.M him about it. (sounded great b.t.w!)
I also played some other tracks I found here and tried my best to remember how they sound so I can give these producers a feedback from a place these tracks are made for: the club!
It is as you say yourself giving feedback to the tunes posted here and I don't think that there is any upcoming producer who doesn't want this kind of feedback.
And don't get me wrong, I also think taht it's nice to ask premission if there is really time for, but in my experince people rather have an honest feedback than someone they don't know asking premission to play thier tune.

I really like to hear what other think of this cause right know I'm getting a bit confused! :)

Stodgy
20-12-2005, 09:59 AM

Appreciate your concern, its good to know people look out for each other on here, but I don't mind Artone playing it out beacause he has been as good as his word and pm'd me some feedback about the tune.

Thanks though ;)

dan the acid man
21-12-2005, 02:09 AM
Keep it up!

I think this is worth a discussion thread as I'm not sure if I can agree with you. In this particular case I got in touch with stodgy and as I said I played his tune on 2 clubs sound systems in front of people and P.M him about it. (sounded great b.t.w!)
I also played some other tracks I found here and tried my best to remember how they sound so I can give these producers a feedback from a place these tracks are made for: the club!
It is as you say yourself giving feedback to the tunes posted here and I don't think that there is any upcoming producer who doesn't want this kind of feedback.
And don't get me wrong, I also think taht it's nice to ask premission if there is really time for, but in my experince people rather have an honest feedback than someone they don't know asking premission to play thier tune.

I really like to hear what other think of this cause right know I'm getting a bit confused! :)

eh, that makes no sense to me.

i said its polite to ask before you play it in a club, in front of people in a dj set.
or even use it in a mix set at home.

i dont mean you have to ask for permission before you listen to any mp3 on here, or am i not understanding what you've written.

as it is, you did ask permission, and he doesn't mind which is great

dirty_bass
21-12-2005, 02:34 AM
Keep it up!

eh, that makes no sense to me.

i said its polite to ask before you play it in a club, in front of people in a dj set.
or even use it in a mix set at home.

i dont mean you have to ask for permission before you listen to any mp3 on here, or am i not understanding what you've written.

as it is, you did ask permission, and he doesn't mind which is great

Permission should always be asked. It`s a sign of repsect.
Personally I don`t always mind, but I like to be asked, and sometimes, if it is a track I am releasing, I would rather choose who gets first play in a club, and also, sometimes to keep a track fresh when the promo`s get sent out, it`s necessary.
Always always ask.
Even the tracks I have given to me for my labels, I always test them at a party before I press them, but I ALWAYS ask permission from the person who made the track.

Artone
21-12-2005, 10:33 AM
[/quote]

.....I would rather choose who gets first play in a club, and also, sometimes to keep a track fresh when the promo`s get sent out, it`s necessary.
Always always ask.
[/quote]

You have a good point and I do agree with it, I'll keep this in mind. :)

278d7e64a374de26f==