PDA

View Full Version : What was your first big break?

Jay Pace
05-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Ok - for those of you lucky/talented enought to consider yourself a productive member of the scene - what got you in?

I've been djing, running nights and producing for a fair few years, but time costraints and a habit of moving about the country and leaving contacts behind kinda stops me from ever really taking music further than being a personal passion.

Not that I wouldn't jump at the chance, but social life, job, missus etc all take up too much time to really make a decent go of it, and I'm not really willing to let any of the three slide.

But for those of you who have - how did you manage it?

eyeswithoutaface
05-12-2005, 12:24 PM
ive always been creative musically so production was a natural thing to get into, ive been playing the guitar for about 13 years now too and was always writing songs, been producing electronic music now for about 4 years. i say electronic because i dont just do techno, i do whatever i feel from hard techno, minimal stuff right through to house and even really low bpm chilled stuff, electronica etc etc.... not really had a big break as such production wise more just a culmination of alot of hard work over the past few years and meeting new friends in clubs, sending out tracks etc etc which has put me in the position of having a good handful of ep's lined up for release over the next few months and also got a lot of projects in working on too, some totally non techno too which is nice.... Dj wise, ive played loads of smaller local gigs which is the normal, but id say Voodoo last november was my biggest break as it were, getting to play after Terence Fixmer and being asked back to finish off the NYE party then which was great, and then further gigs off Voodoo throughout the year led to me playing my biggest gig yet to about 700 people after Green Velvet live, which was fantastic. Anyone whose been in the big room at the Carling can vouch its a fantastic room, so to get to finish the night off after someone like GV was certainly very rewarding and ive met some really good friends through Voodoo/djing/production on the whole so tis all good at the moment

Sunil
05-12-2005, 05:33 PM
Not that I wouldn't jump at the chance, but social life, job, missus etc all take up too much time to really make a decent go of it, and I'm not really willing to let any of the three slide.

Well, your answer lies in what you've said above. If you wouldn't mind making that big 'break', but are not willing to sacrifice or let anything go, then you're pissing into the wind.

Be ruthless... Dump your girlfriend if it's not going anywhere, cut back on the hours in your job if you can afford it or are able to, hold off a bit (a lot) on your social life for a year if you have to. It's all about sacrifice and what you deem to be most important, simple as that. Other than that, you'd be just relying solely on a lucky break.

Jay Pace
05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Not really prepared to let anything go at the moment, love my missus, love my job, love my mates & social etc.

But realistically one of these will go sooner or later and then I can get back on it. Having all three at once is a bit of an aberration, and I think I would be fool not to enjoy it while it lasts.

Interested to know how other people made it though. Or do you really have to jack everything and everyone in to get your focus?

Sunil
05-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Interested to know how other people made it though. Or do you really have to jack everything and everyone in to get your focus?

I'm not sure that you'd have to give up everything, but prioritising is a must. You certainly need some understanding people around you, that's for sure.

eyeswithoutaface
05-12-2005, 09:25 PM
there is a lot of sacrifice needed definately. I personally opted for quitting my full time job and got a part time one so i would purposely have more time for tracks as you simply cannot, well i couldnt personally anyway, enjoy getting into production whilst also holding down a 9 - 5. It's just not practical to say "oh at least ive got saturday and sunday to do tunes" because come the weekend we all know were going to be in some warehouse or den raving away. The way i see it, you have to seriously decide if its what you want to do in life, and i just dont mean narrowing it down to releasing techno records. Production is an on going thing for me, the creation of music as a whole is the only thing i want to be involved with in this, when u think about it, relatively short life. I dont want to be the manager in my local kwik save, whilst ive had jobs very similiar and it serves its purpose, its not what i want OUT of life. I want to do something thats going to at least allow me the oppurtunity to work with other people and just generaly be able to make music.

Ive been pretty skint sure and ive missed so many nights this year that all my mates have been too because i know i just want to do music instead the day after or all that night etc etc, as Sunil said you need some understanding people around you too definately. My mum just lets me get on with it now as unfortunately for her i dont want a "good job in IT" which ive had in the past but simply not enjoyed it, good money or not. If your not enjoying it, then dont do it. Thats my motto definately

oldbugger
05-12-2005, 09:41 PM
you two are just lazy bums though :wicked:

:lol:

djshiva
05-12-2005, 09:51 PM
Not really prepared to let anything go at the moment, love my missus, love my job, love my mates & social etc.

But realistically one of these will go sooner or later and then I can get back on it. Having all three at once is a bit of an aberration, and I think I would be fool not to enjoy it while it lasts.

i do not believe so. music is such a big part of my life, but it is not the be all end all. i work with a non profit on progressive social and economic causes and would not have the same focus on music were it not for that. i write poetry, read like a fiend and have a lovely girlfriend who is in school and has her own focus as well. so we can take time apart to pursue our own things and still meet in the middle.

if you are willing to sacrifice everything for that "big break", you may look up one day and realize you have nothing.

i work hard and put a lot into my music, but making music without the other important things in my life would not be worthwhile at all.

The Overfiend
05-12-2005, 09:59 PM
if you are willing to sacrifice everything for that "big break", you may look up one day and realize you have nothing.

i work hard and put a lot into my music, but making music without the other important things in my life would not be worthwhile at all.

Could not have said it better myself my sis from another momma!

eyeswithoutaface
05-12-2005, 10:01 PM
I soley believe that the "one big break" doesnt exist. It's not the 90's, and we are not pop stars. If people want to be releasing records or doing music then quite simply you have to put in the effort, you can still give 100% and have other priorities in life. Shiva made a good point in her post above, and really id rather someone to share anything i do with, be that friends or a girlfriend. Im not a materialistic person, i dont run my life by how much money i have or dont have in my case more often than not, i dont mind having no money at all on me as long as any debts i have are paid such as credit cards, rent etc, as long as i can make tracks then money doesnt really come into it right now for me, never really has.

but yeah, without my mates to see me putting my music out and seeing their reactions then there is kind of no point, i make my music for myself sure, as do most, but there is something cool about sharing it with someone too

Dustin Zahn
05-12-2005, 11:37 PM
I reckon it comes right about that time where you relax the jaw and cup the balls.

MARKEG
06-12-2005, 12:26 AM
i don't think it was 'big break' that enabled me to get into this but i do believe it was a combination of breaks or things that really accumulated. i could say it was the old rave things that kept me in this but then i think about it and i would have got into them were it not for eternity magazine. but then i wouldnt have got into eternity had i not been given a chance in that shitty club in huddersfield that let me put on underground resistance nights. and then before that i would have done that were it not for manchester uni letting me play techno.... ahh god it just goes on... yeah i don't think you can put it down to 1 thing.... ;)

SlavikSvensk
06-12-2005, 12:42 AM
i bought a collection of breaks in 1998 :)

djshiva
06-12-2005, 02:14 AM
I reckon it comes right about that time where you relax the jaw and cup the balls.

*giggle*

well said...

BloodStar
06-12-2005, 10:18 AM
for me personally; there was no big break yet. i love making music and trying to do it for around 6 years, now. as i read Scotts reply, i found i have it little bit similar, personally. i quit a good IT job, because i had lack of time for music production and i found it also that i dont want to spent all my time in some fuc*ing office. i quit this job and then start some bad period from the money point of view, but the very best period musically; i had much more time for production and i think i improved my skills much faster in compare how slow i would be if i would stay 9hours a day at work;. i choose what i want to do and what interests me, i setup a part time job, just for 5or6hours a day, and i have lot of time for my music, then.
in DJing, ive played in lot of local clubs, but i had two gigs which are abova the others; 1;i finally played in Boby centrum,; which is very good place for parties; it was with headroom, ben sims and jel ford + others,it was ****in awesome;,; and my2.it was in club Ucko or U-club Bratislava; and it was like a dream, because Ucko has a very much underground traditions and many great artists played there; this place had a spirit,,,but shame,its closed now;.
even i had some bad times in the last years, because i was thinking that all goes wrong, and i was pretty sad from that sometime, but producing music and dreaming about some BIG break; always hold me up,,.

Jay Pace
06-12-2005, 10:42 AM
Bloodstar - Keep at it mate, the theme here seems to be making enough time for music and persevering. Sure you'll get what you are after soon.

Most people I know had a defining "moment" for them - a release that did really well that sparked off loads of dj work, getting a track picked up by a major label, forming a production partnership that took things to a new level etc.

I get a huge amount of satisfaction from music, but would like the opportunity to play to more people and release stuff (when it gets good enough).
And sometimes it seems like all the doors are closed to you, if you don't know the right people and you don't have the time/energy/money/patience to go it alone.

BloodStar
06-12-2005, 11:10 AM
And sometimes it seems like all the doors are closed to you, if you don't know the right people and you don't have the time/energy/money/patience to go it alone.

agree,. so i,m trying to knock again, again and again... :lol:

anyway; i forgot to mention, that my first break was, that i came to this lovely place and i could learn a lot of new things from you all; thanks,.

stjohn
07-12-2005, 12:13 AM
no break for me as of yet!!! a few small gigs here and a couple of free parties there but nothing huge. ive been making music since i was about 15 with a crap version of cool edit so hopefully within the next few years i can et my tracks sounding the way i want so watch this space ye bollix!! :twisted:

davethedrummer
07-12-2005, 05:10 PM
my mum bought me this fantastic china casserole dish last year
which i dropped after getting a lovely smelling stew out of the oven
it burnt my hands , causing me to thrown the entire thing in the air and watched as it crashed mercilessly to the floor
that was a pretty big break i can tell you

my other big break possibly was around 95 playing snooker down the pub

i´ll get my coat....again........

alsynthe
07-12-2005, 05:12 PM
hehe

dan the acid man
07-12-2005, 05:49 PM
see, i was going to go with the snooker gag but i thought better of it :oops:

rhythmtech
07-12-2005, 06:22 PM
my wrist... although wouldn't be considered too big compared to say like.. a leg or something.

davethedrummer
12-12-2005, 12:20 PM
see, i was going to go with the snooker gag but i thought better of it :oops:

snooker is always good for a joke

fresh_an_funky_design
12-12-2005, 12:57 PM
i suppose for me my 'break' was getting involved in the free party scene otherwsie i would never of discovered techno, got into dj'n / production or started the label. However for me all this is nothing more than something i enjoy doing. I dont see myself being the next dave clarke etc or even making a living out of it, My talents lie elsewhere. there are too many people waiting for that 'big break' though, the problem is for most it will never come.

dirty_bass
12-12-2005, 01:31 PM
A swedish girl I was engaged to. She was mad and got me into many dangerous situations. It had to end, or else I would have probably ended up in jail or rehab.
That broke my heart.

MARKEG
12-12-2005, 02:04 PM
A swedish girl I was engaged to. She was mad and got me into many dangerous situations. It had to end, or else I would have probably ended up in jail or rehab.
That broke my heart.

http://www.americanmusictheatre.com/media/03celebs/ABBA.jpg

it wasnt one of them two was it mate? i heard they broke many a boys heart in the 80's.

Si the Sigh
12-12-2005, 02:44 PM
:lol:

Centurian
12-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Well for me, i haven't really dedicated myself to production enough so no big breaks there.

The rest of the music industry however is a different story. My first break was when a mate of mine was putting a night on called Sabotage in Vauxhall. The promotion fizzled out like so many do, but it was my first real stepping stone from turning my hobby into a career.

I then just did a couple of sets in a record shop at one point and played at a free party up in Sheffield due to some contacts i made at Sabotage, then one day picked up a flyer & decided to give Antiworld a call and ask for an audition, after a 15 minute conversation i finally persuded him, went around there and spun some tunes (this was my first real big break imo).
This led to crewing at the Fridge and finally got on stage (with this particular promotion) when it moved to the Seone Complex. Since then i've been involved with the production and promotion at an event at Ally Pally and promoted, crewed & DJed at Seone on a number of occasions. Playing Brixton Academy is my biggest gig to date.
As a whole i think i'm extremely lucky to have played some of the line ups i have, 5 years ago it felt like a distant dream playing on the same bill as Chris Liberator or D.a.v.e The Drunner, now i've DJed & crewed at events showcasing some of the worlds bigget dance music artists of various styles.

Being involved with these peeps has led to a string of booking with various other promotions and a regular slot at Nuclear Free Zone, simply because it's so much easier to network once you get that break.

Now there's a few other things on the horizon, mainly promoting really.

audioinjection
12-12-2005, 11:07 PM
i can't say i had a huge break, but my release on Monoid was a good stepping stone......also being able to play gigs with the Droid Behavior dudes, kinda growing with the techno scene here in LA

Bugger
13-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Bugged Out! asking me to play for them at Creamfields 3 years ago, which led to me playing for them at Nation where I was spotted by Voodoo head honcho who then asked me to come on board and be promoter/resident. Like Scott said though there's no one big break really, before the Creamfields gig was 3/4 years of toilet gigs and sending out countless CDs, etc. It's a long process getting your name out there, especially without producing, time to pull my finger out!

The Overfiend
13-12-2005, 02:54 AM
Biggest break for me was my best friend giving me his old cpu for me to develop.

Ian
13-12-2005, 03:02 AM
I locked myself in a basement for 5 years or so and did nothing but techno.

When I sent out my firts demo cd of tracks I was finally happy with, Dietrich Shoenemann picked up 4 of them for hidden agenda 15. The rest is a slow history of never quite making it anywhere. ;)

Jay Pace
13-12-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm kind of trying a production/promotion route.

Promotion is brilliant for "networking" (hate that word) which leads to new people and new opportunities.

But I don't think anything compares to production in terms of establishing yourself as a credible artist to the whole world. Problem with that is that you have to be good at production, have talented engineer friends, or a fat wallet.

*sigh*

Some day I'll nail it...

holotropik
13-12-2005, 10:02 AM
I have realised that I just like to write music that reflects what I feel at each period in my life (simple cliche I know) but its true. I used to write in a journal but further developed music as taught to me by my parents.
techno is perfect as it is toally experimental and progressing all the time. I like to connect with other artists and share knowledge and stories or emotions and understand the language more.
Getting a big break is not why I do this. I am mainly a punter and listener first who also tring to understand and connect in a community of others who also dig this sound and attitude.
If you want a big break.....make pop tunes like crazy frog etc. Much mo' easy money in that sh_ite. Get played on tha radio and get all the gurlies (even if they are only 13)......

Jay Pace
13-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Not quite the break I'm after! Its just more that I like djing to crowds, rather than in my bedroom.
Some of the gigs I've had have been electrifying.

Performance is a natural progression for most artists, and thats how I feel. Not talking about stardom and fortune, just would like more opportunities to play out.

holotropik
13-12-2005, 10:55 AM
Well, it comes down to finding people who you connect to and who share the same attitude.
It took me ages to find someone who looked into the music and considered the people on the floor in the same way I do. When I finally found that person it just clicked and went from strength to strength. We pushed off each other and focussed on the same ideals and goals with the parties etc. I play LivePA not DJ so it may be different....i dont know?? The dude running this gig, Simon Slieker, liked where I was coming from and liked my sound. He put me on one night and I gave it my best, knowing that at least someone appreciated what i did. it worked and he kept getting me to play. From that others also got me to play as they had heard my stuff and seen my unique technique. This further allowed me to hone in on my sound and get better. Within a year i was able to get on a net-based label and release some stuff. A small start but a progression none the less. This is purely for helping me to push myself to do better tracks and learn more about the music. I also realise that if I want to be able to travel to meet people and have parties with them then i need to have some kind of momentum behind me so that i can get the opportunities. I am not fussed about the money side of it, I just want to perform and have adventures, get better and find out more.

If you can find someone to push off it makes you play better and find more energy which then makes you come across with a better impact and hence get noticed or picked up for other gigs. Its best not to push for gigs too hard lest you end up working for twats who dont have a clue what they are doing or even care about what they are doing. This makes you hate it and lose hope and can often work against your image etc. Does the scene no good and lowers the quality overall.

Find a reasonably establish crew who you align with and can talk to easily. The break will happen automatically because the energy feeds itself and pushes you all up.

I just kept going to gigs and introducing myself and talking and handing out demos. i tried to be straight forward and myself as much as I could. If I got a connection, good. If not, no loss I kept trying. I keep trying, it never ends as things change all the time.

djshiva
13-12-2005, 09:37 PM
hmmm...so yeah...to get on topic...

i have had a couple "breaks" of varying natures...but these two are the big'uns:

playing Interstellar Dreamfest in '99 (3 day outdoor event in midwest USA) for thousands of people AND seeing richie on dex, efx and 909

getting fired from my job in 2003, going on the dole and using that 3 months to BUST ASS learning how to produce

MARKEG
13-12-2005, 10:30 PM
getting fired from my job in 2003, going on the dole and using that 3 months to BUST ASS learning how to produce

that my gal was your real break imo. mine was leaving uni to follow the music dream. i think it's all well and good finding specific moments as a break but really it's the accumulating of alot of things and that only happens by making the choice to focus on music.

;)

alsynthe
14-12-2005, 02:05 PM
mine was my elbow when i was 10, i fell of my bike

The Divide
14-12-2005, 02:07 PM
I ad a big break the other day, it was about an hour long. My boss was mortified

278d7e64a374de26f==