PDA

View Full Version : Electribe SX1 Pitch control

curly
05-12-2005, 06:30 PM
I have a Korg Electribe SX1 which I am using to Play alongside a Dj set and was wondering if there was a way to get the Slider (for the arpeggiator) to act as a varispeed the same as on a pair of decks. If this can't be done how do others keep the unit in sync with a a pair of decks.

messyfuture
05-12-2005, 07:00 PM
probably want to get one of those red bpm counters which produces midi clock and sync your korg from that

http://www.redsound.com/djindex.htm

its called micro sync

Francisco Scaramanga
05-12-2005, 07:14 PM
probably want to get one of those red bpm counters which produces midi clock and sync your korg from that

http://www.redsound.com/djindex.htm

its called micro sync

This sounds like an amazing idea! I dont know how I havent come across this before. I've been using my electribes and keeping them in time by adjusting the bpm to slow down or speed up to match the record, but as you can probably imagine this is a real pain in the ass. Still, it has worked for me in the past. Are these bpm counter/midi clock devices accurate enough to work? I've seen alot of bpm counters in my time, and I've never seen one that is anywhere near perfect.

curly
05-12-2005, 07:28 PM
I used one of the micro sync about 3 or 4 years ago, when I read the manual, the was a large section about the push and pull buttons, and how to keep it in sync, Well When I tryed it, it was crap, tryed with techno, hard house, trance, break beat, old school , and DnB. On the 4X4 styles it got the bpm somewhere near right, but the sync soon went out of time, With Dnb the thing just gave up!
lol.

messyfuture
05-12-2005, 08:32 PM
hmmm theres bound to be something newer and better if they have been out for that long

time to hit google

messyfuture
05-12-2005, 08:37 PM
this got a good review in sos

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct99/articles/redsound.htm

messyfuture
05-12-2005, 08:41 PM
or this maybe

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=47134&SourceType=BestSeller

xfive
05-12-2005, 09:15 PM
I used to use a RedSound micro sync and it worked fine. You just have to practice nudging it. It's not just going to stay locked into time automatically.
It's not really any different than nudging or slowing records, once you know how to use it.

curly
06-12-2005, 06:23 PM
nudging the micro sync is all good and well, but to me thats the same as changing the tempo in the electribe, which I can do, to be honest I was trying to see if I could use the slider, as this feels more natural to me, but if this ain't poss then I will just stick whith changing the tempo using the rotary and the shiift key on the electribe.

I was also trying not to add anymore to the setup

Cheers for taking the time to help ;)

stjohn
06-12-2005, 06:27 PM
i think the best way is to get the bpm close and then jump over to the turntable and use the pitch there!!

holotropik
13-12-2005, 11:35 AM
Doesnt the ESX have its own BPM match using an audio in from an external source?? It should lock onto to external audio source and match it always??

dirty_bass
13-12-2005, 12:07 PM
the SX1 can automatically beat match to an external source, or you can use the tap tempo button to tap in the beat for correction

jaqbip
13-12-2005, 01:42 PM
You can also use an external MIDI mixer with BPM counter, connect mixer MIDI OUT to SX1 MIDI IN and switch SX1 clock mode to "external".

Another way is to use loop-based samples in a stretch and slice tracks and then use TAP (look upper for dirty_bass post). Stretch parts will be pitched (slice parts will have the same pitch but another tempo).

AFAIK it's impossible to pitch all signal @ MAIN OUT directly in ESX.

curly
13-12-2005, 07:25 PM
I have this sorted now, as I am currently running the bass station into the audio out I am using a combination of the tap button, and adjusting the tempo using the rotary dial. I will however be trying to use the bpm scyn function when I am not using the bass station.

Thanks for all you help on the matter.

278d7e64a374de26f==