PDA

View Full Version : Why are we all going minimal?

MARKEG
08-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Minimal techno is the new thing whether you like it or not.

I love it for sure BUT let's be honest, we did hear about this 10 years ago via Rob Hood.

Anyway, loving some of this shit. Just need to discuss this more.

Why are we alll going minimal??????????????????

:)

SlavikSvensk
08-12-2005, 12:29 AM
there's a lot of it, but i there are still tons and tons of other types of techno records coming out every week...

but let me ask a slightly different question. rob hood's records are classics. will any of the new "minimal" records become that?

eyeswithoutaface
08-12-2005, 12:38 AM
i think with Hood mainly, for me anyway, is even the most stripped back stuff is always that touch more aggressive than most new minimal stuff. I love the all the new minimal and im glad that there is at least this kind of music to at least choose to get into, but its obvious that people like it for different reasons. There's a massive image attached to it not helped at all by Hawtin's hairdo's, no matter how good the music is. Which it is, imo. I do stuff in that vein myself, its very enjoyable to do and a good break from doing harder stuff, or stuff thats a bit more challenging on the head/ears after 5 solid hours infront of the monitors. Some of the production on alot of minimal records is of course what makes the track, its more what you leave out than what you put in etc etc and when it is done well its great, and i can enjoy it more at home than i can usual techno, as there's just alot more scope for idea's and creativity imo

xfive
08-12-2005, 12:42 AM
Scotty are you going minimal on us?

machina
08-12-2005, 12:52 AM
i like minimal, or have done in the past, but i'm really not buying this new found popularity... as mark said, it's all been done before via hood and even people like emmanuel top and the early plastikman stuff. A lot of the new stuff seems to be covering old ground, which isn't that bad in itself, but the whole thing just comes off as being pretentious and horribly indulgent. Like people are competing to 'out-minimal' each other...

machina

Sunil
08-12-2005, 01:03 AM

I love it for sure BUT let's be honest, we did hear about this 10 years ago via Rob Hood.

Are *we*? :)
I must admit, I still only consider it warm up music in a proper techno club, but I really do see its appeal.

It's at a house tempo which gives it crossover appeal. It is often quite inventive, far more so than a lot of other techno being released at the moment. It has become so big now that the force and energy behind it is driving it along and picking up lots of new fans along the way, Many of the labels and producers are buzzing, they're excited, and as a result sparks are flying. It's not that much minimal that *really* moves me but I can see what people are getting from it for sure.

It might be covering old ground, but I've heard new ideas in the current wave of minimal. Of the more accomplished minimal producers going, I often hear very interesting combinations or splicing of syles going on.

Again, I only think it's one part of the jigsaw... but a lot of it is good, intelligent music that's very well programmed. It's easy to slate it if you're more into hard techno, but the fact is that much of this stuff holds more substance in terms of musical quality.

G-BO
08-12-2005, 01:03 AM
jeff mills has also made some great minimal stuff over the years, the whole minimal sweep of techno is very dull, seems easier for ppl get get their records out there to keep it minimal

Dustin Zahn
08-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Honestly, at the same time I both love and hate the new minimal trend. I think some of the typical stuff such as Ricardo Villalobos is already cliched and on its way out the door. If you check out some of the new minimal stuff by Skoog (Agaric, We Are), Tony Rohr, 2 Dollar Egg, etc. it's really well put together and it's not all that "minimal." I just heard a recording of Hawtin's set at ILT this year and a lot of it wasn't really "minimal" either. In fact it was all pretty beatin' techno, from hardcell & grindvik on sthlmltd to his transitions stuff. It's funny because DJs like Hawtin, Carola, Luciano, etc. they're all kind of viewed by the minimal fans as "minimal" when really, those guys go all over the place and play an array of styles.

For instance, I had Carola in town last week and he played all kinds of stuff from trendy minimal pokerflat shit to the new ozgur can on truesoul. These guys are playing all over the place these days and I really enjoy it. To be honest, "hard" techno artists that have done it for me in the past don't really do it for me anymore. The only kind of hard stuff interesting me lately is the industrial type techno. Even Glenn Wilson has chilled out a bit with his recent collabs with Cari on Heroes International. I think what people don't realize is that you can be hard and heavy as **** at 133 as you can at 143.

I'll agree some of this bandwagon shit is pretty bizzare and kind of a let down, but some of it is worth checking out. Unfortunately, "minimal" is being used as a blanket term (just like how "techno" is everything from trance to chemical bros. for some)...this means a lot of good music gets lost in the mix. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for some hard beatin' techno but honestly all the hard stuff I've been playing lately is old.

Basically, to sell a record these days...I think its important just to leave the compressor turned off, drop the ****in' samba loop bullshit (although I do like my hardgroove don't get me wrong), and pull the bpms down a bit. You can still add the jack and funk and bang in there and still have a track that mixes great with the trendy minimal stuff.

G-BO
08-12-2005, 01:07 AM
i love minimal techno, as u said it can hold more substance in musical structure, im sure only so much can have that kinda effect, the rest is again the same record over and over again, instead of trying to make ppl listen to whats not there and make something that is there

it does have its place though and quite enjoy some of it

Dustin Zahn
08-12-2005, 01:09 AM
I forgot to add. I find it funny how uneducated most of the newcomer minimal kids are. A friend of mine was tlaking to a big minimal guy when he was here and asked what he thought of Basic Channel. He says, "...uh...well...I guess it's okay for some old shit."

How ridiculous. It's true most of those guys wouldn't know real minimal if it hit them in the face. Anyways, Ian helped introduce me to stuff like Stewart Walker before I ever heard of Adam Beyer, and honestly the really deep and true minimal stuff I am not into too much these days.

MARKEG
08-12-2005, 01:12 AM
basic channel is a lesson in techno full stop.

g
08-12-2005, 01:12 AM
I think what people don't realize is that you can be hard and heavy as **** at 133 as you can at 143..
or, often harder and heavier.

and you know what they say: there's no "I" in "we".

machina
08-12-2005, 01:13 AM
i guess the thing that kinda rubs me the wrong way is the idea that it's somehow more 'intelligent' or amazingly hard to make and only genius' can do it - it's a bullshit idea that makes no sense. I'm not saying it's easy to make or anything - just that it's no more 'intellectual' or difficult than any other type of music. The way the minimal nazis talk about it, you'd think that minimal producers are the reincarnation of mozart and those that don't agree aren't worthy of having an opinion...

machina

eyeswithoutaface
08-12-2005, 01:14 AM
yeah definately, well worded Sunil. It's truely the production, creativity side of it that grabs me. It's not the be all and end all of techno, no specific type of techno is, everything does have its place surely otherwise it wouldnt be around in the first place surely? even stuff like the schranz bootlegs, they are so so wrong to many people, but obviously somewhere these records are going down a treat, and let's be honest the production on 99% of them is nothing short of woeful, where as on nearly all the minimal stuff i listen to the production is really very good indeed, and in places seriously excellent. And yeah with someone as big as Hawtin pretty much devoting his life to pushing it at the moment then it's going to get alot of attention. There is alot more clubby minimal stuff too its not all just bleeps like people seem to think, the We Are records are still quite chunky and quirky and would sound great in the first few hours of a club opening definately

eyeswithoutaface
08-12-2005, 01:17 AM
some good points there definately

Dustin Zahn
08-12-2005, 01:17 AM
There is alot more clubby minimal stuff too its not all just bleeps like people seem to think, the We Are records are still quite chunky and quirky and would sound great in the first few hours of a club opening definately

Exactly. I detest the material that is nothing but clicks and pops, but there is some really quality shit out there at the moment that is overshaded by that stuff.

Conan
08-12-2005, 01:18 AM
I dont think that we're all going minimal but there certainly is a trend forming. To me it seems like elctro clash's fad for a while with tiga and the likes but now its been taken to a new level. Personally I dont buy and I cant listen to the records and I can understand your point Sunil about the music quality being better but I just dont know how good it sounds. I mean there doesnt seem to be any attitude or fundementals in it and it all seems a bit contrived for me.

Conan
08-12-2005, 01:20 AM
Im open to suggestions about it though.................. Who's worth checkin out

eyeswithoutaface
08-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Tim Xavier and Tony Rohr under "Afternoon Coffee Boys", there solo stuff too, Camea is doing great tracks, Luciano, We Are records are really great, Sleep Archive of course all personal fave's at the moment

MARKEG
08-12-2005, 01:23 AM
wow that is a point electo clash and now minimal i will start a topic

Dustin Zahn
08-12-2005, 01:29 AM
2 Dollar Egg:
Gelb EP - http://www.vitalvinyl.com/album/60855.info
Naxos - http://www.vitalvinyl.com/album/51174.info

Besier & Lorber
http://www.vitalvinyl.com/album/56220.info

We Are
http://www.vitalvinyl.com/album/63046.info
http://www.vitalvinyl.com/album/63448.info

Pascel Feos & Chris Wood:
http://www.vitalvinyl.com/album/58850.info

Someone Else Picture Perfect Adam Beyer remix

Tony Rohr "Water, Water, Everywhere"

Mathew Jonson - "Marionette"

machina
08-12-2005, 01:30 AM
it is very similar to the electroclash thing - almost identical now that i think about it... here in melbourne a lot of the djs etc who jumped on the electroclash bandwagon are now the ones that are pushing the minimal thing as well - seems like there is some crossover in the scenes but i don't really see a link in the music itself. is it the same in europe/uk? is it electro people who are really into the minimal thing? or are they two separate and distinct scenes over there?

machina

Conan
08-12-2005, 01:45 AM
Its not the same dj's that I was talking about but the people that follow them. They follow it now but they wont in a while was my point. I dont denounce the producers of the music though as they're doing their thing which is cool.

tekara
08-12-2005, 03:01 AM
"For instance, I had Carola in town last week and he played all kinds of stuff from trendy minimal pokerflat shit to the new ozgur can on truesoul."

I saw marco carola a few weeks in town as well (guess hes doing a North American tour), and he was playing minimal in the beginning, but at around 3am, it sounded pretty hard to me

tekara
08-12-2005, 03:07 AM
im not sure if its the old school guys that are getting tired of the hard stuff and slowly progressing towards more minimal sounds, or whether they are just jumping on the bandwagon. For me, i dun really care what kind of techno it is, as long as it sounds good. I think whats happening is alot of guys see Adam Beyer making minimal stuff and just want to catch on to the hype before its too late. Sometimes its true that 'less is more'.....but sometimes its the case where 'less is simply less'.....

I think guys like Rob Hood, John Tejada deserve all the credit they receive

holotropik
08-12-2005, 10:01 AM
I aint buyin it. I went through my minimal phase years ago and just finished the electro thing.....now I am dark and deep again. Maybe I am out of phase??

eyeswithoutaface
08-12-2005, 10:08 AM
but no ones trying to take anything away from the likes of Hood who have been doing their thing for years, and its certainly nothing like the electroclash fad. AT ALL!!!! people like Hawtin have been doing this for years, and i know alot of people who've been making tracks like this for years too but just havent had an outlet for it, or labels and distributors would turn them away with "its too minimal" etc etc, and now these same people are getting their hand bitten off by distributors.

People forget its not the artists who make these sudden upsurges in popularity, its the people buying and listening to the music who, imo, are probably getting bored with the same old same old be it in techno, electro etc whatever and are simply digging something new. Nothing more, nothing less. There are those clowns who follow it for the image but the guy who said its like electroclash over there in Oz, well im sorry but have you been to the UK? There are people who take the whole image thing too far yes but the amount of people into the music side of things far outweigh any scene jumping trashbats.

It does take alot more effort to produce an effective minimal track than it does an average techno track, that's not to say you need to be more "intelligent" which is some peoples weak argument, its just to say thats it not as easy as doing straight up 4/4 techno in terms of programming and production. The sound needs to be tight, which alot of current regular techno producers fail to deliver in their club stuff so i could only imagine how they'd approach it. Beyer is a great example for me where its done well, there's no doubting he's a great producer and "Walking Contradiction" is a great record. Id rather people tried what would be deemed new ground for them rather than just repeating and repeating themselves over and over with records they themselves havent got much interest in, because what would be the point in that?

Miromiric
08-12-2005, 11:11 AM
hey dustin! you reckon there`s still place for butty and me to jump on a wagon?

philipryan
08-12-2005, 11:53 AM
Personally I really like a lot of it... given the glut of it about at the moment I'm sure there's plenty of rubbish but the stuff I've heard on Sender, M_nus, Palette, Minimise, Poker Flat, etc has been pretty nice... I like the quirky, abstract sounds in a lot of it.

With respect to hearing it in clubs, I'd think along similar lines to Sunil though ... it's nice at the start of the night or intermittently throughout, but I couldn't imagine anything more boring than listening to it start-to-finish.

Conan
08-12-2005, 12:24 PM
but no ones trying to take anything away from the likes of Hood who have been doing their thing for years, and its certainly nothing like the electroclash fad. AT ALL!!!! people like Hawtin have been doing this for years, and i know alot of people who've been making tracks like this for years too but just havent had an outlet for it, or labels and distributors would turn them away with "its too minimal" etc etc, and now these same people are getting their hand bitten off by distributors.

People forget its not the artists who make these sudden upsurges in popularity, its the people buying and listening to the music who, imo, are probably getting bored with the same old same old be it in techno, electro etc whatever and are simply digging something new. Nothing more, nothing less. There are those clowns who follow it for the image but the guy who said its like electroclash over there in Oz, well im sorry but have you been to the UK? There are people who take the whole image thing too far yes but the amount of people into the music side of things far outweigh any scene jumping trashbats.

It does take alot more effort to produce an effective minimal track than it does an average techno track, that's not to say you need to be more "intelligent" which is some peoples weak argument, its just to say thats it not as easy as doing straight up 4/4 techno in terms of programming and production. The sound needs to be tight, which alot of current regular techno producers fail to deliver in their club stuff so i could only imagine how they'd approach it. Beyer is a great example for me where its done well, there's no doubting he's a great producer and "Walking Contradiction" is a great record. Id rather people tried what would be deemed new ground for them rather than just repeating and repeating themselves over and over with records they themselves havent got much interest in, because what would be the point in that?

I just mentioned that in a previous post. I wasnt connecting the artists to the trend but the people followning it and the buzz around it.

I have difficulty with this statement that these minimal tunes are harder to make. Granted I am not producing yet and I might not notice the suttleties but doesnt it depend on who you compare them to? And what you look for in a track?

eyeswithoutaface
08-12-2005, 12:27 PM
well with all fairness you really need to have a better understanding of how a track is actually made to form a true opinion on that one. It genuinely is more difficult to get a solid groove out of less elements. Im talking content aside, technically you have to be alot more creative to make the track work as apposed to just adding a few more subtle loops. not being condescending by the way, just saying literaly it is harder to get more out of less.

Conan
08-12-2005, 12:46 PM
No I dont take any offence at all, I understand what you mean now and it does make more sense. I guess its also good music for people who aknowledge good production and can appreciate its difficulty. I do accept this point about the quality of prodcution and I aslo accept that there is a completely different set of intentions when this music is being made, like whats not there and as was mentioned getting a solid groove out of less elements.

basslinejunkie
08-12-2005, 01:11 PM
for me and my musical tastes,theres a serious lack of good quality techno around,and theres been a lack of it for some time,apart from the odd one or two releases now an again,so im exploring other avenues such as minimal.even getting in2 some indie stuff.

Buttman
08-12-2005, 01:23 PM
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH minimal SCHMINIMAL

Only Basic Channel and G-man ever did it well.

zaalmoetlos
08-12-2005, 02:56 PM
i'm quite glad that something is happening atlast the years between 2001 and 2004 were the lowpoints in techno production if you ask me. Especially 2004. It's getting exciedingly hard to find well produced techno with the emphasis on interesting productions instead of layers of beats. I think minimal on its own is to boring to listen to for too long and i'm not a big fan of the clubby sound. But as a part of a well constructied set it can deff add to the experience. I think new ways of dj-ing will also ask for a more minimal aproach to production and hopefully futrure producers will be influenced by minimal and give it some balls

Miromiric
08-12-2005, 03:40 PM
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH minimal SCHMINIMAL

Only Basic Channel and G-man ever did it well.

bah, what about reich, young et al back in 60s? :lol:

Mindful
08-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Great thread.

For me the great minimal techno comes from people like Surgeon,Regis,Ho,Ruskin,Vogal,ect, not realy the new fresh sound of minimal music or what alot of people now would reconise as minimal.
But never the less this has been the stuff that has inspired me in minimal techno music the most.And theres a few people whos stuff im just starting to get exposure too for instance Luka Baumann and Grovskopa.
All these guys have a great understanding of mood,energy and subtleness in the sounds used,track structure and overall mood and vibe of the music.

Theres also a lot of good hard and minimal techno about.As Justin pionted out theres alot of great hard and minimal industrial techno and it doesnt have to be 140bpm or above to be hard.

Also I have to mention Rob Hood,Mills,Basic channel, Carl Craig,UR.
Not realy the kind of sound I am trying to describe above but a huge huge influence and insperation to me and Techno in genaral.

Mindful
08-12-2005, 04:10 PM
Oops also i wanted to pick up on the piont being made about the production values of alot of this stuff.
The standerds are good production wise and altho this has been said ,Its very important how the small amount of sounds used are produced very well.

For instance, my usual technique for getting(or trying to get) a full sound when making music is the layers and textures that are built up.
But with the more minnimal stuff i do(alltho I personaly class all of my music as minimal)its more about how good you can get the single sounds, somthing I dont find so easy.

SlavikSvensk
08-12-2005, 05:00 PM
bah, what about reich, young et al back in 60s? :lol:

steve reich=godfather of techno :toast:

Dustin Zahn
08-12-2005, 05:13 PM
hey dustin! you reckon there`s still place for butty and me to jump on a wagon?

sorry buddy, the bandwagon axel has broken! You can still walk around in the pre-ripped clothes with sun glasses and two days unshaven faces though!

Miromiric
08-12-2005, 05:38 PM
that should boost up my sales rates.

Agent Orange NYC
08-12-2005, 06:43 PM
Everything gets its turn in the spotlight. Right now its the 'stripped down' sound. I think any music that's done right kicks ass, and alot of the bandwagon jumpers will probably be gone in a year, just like anything that takes off so fast.

I just don't understand DJ's that are so extreme and only feel that they need to stick to one style to represent their sound. I think it kills things to do that. The minmal sound is about atmoshpere, ambiance, sound manipulation, the sound that alot of 'techno' fans were used to till now focused more on the groove, and use of layers to build energy. There are times in a club that call for each sound, I think if we really want to move things foward we have to accept that a good record is a good record and if played at the right time will be amazing to hear on a good system.

thetonewrecka
08-12-2005, 10:17 PM
It's like taking off the braces and now your teeth are straight. All the fixes are in place.

Craig McW
08-12-2005, 11:01 PM
I hate the fad, but love some of the music.

When the fad dies, there'll be some good producers who remain.

I've never and never will stick to a fad. I play techno. To me techno is a framework that encompasses my approach to music.... everything I do is techno. In that I trust....

Luciano is cool as.

dirty_bass
08-12-2005, 11:14 PM
I just like techno.
**** Sub sub genres.
Mix it all up, shove it down your neck and go crazy-aid-bonkers

basslinejunkie
08-12-2005, 11:18 PM
ahmen

dan the acid man
08-12-2005, 11:52 PM
I just like techno.
**** Sub sub genres.
Mix it all up, shove it down your neck and go crazy-aid-bonkers

too right.

as for the people that follow trends, hopefully a few of them stick around and continue to enjoy the music when the next trend comes along and the rest of the sheep toddle off.
im sure i posted earlier in this thread but its not here :scratch:

MARKEG
08-12-2005, 11:55 PM
now that's what i like to see - a mod who doubts the mods haha :lol:

no honest mate, np's this end FOR ONCE. everything is running smooth.

dan the acid man
09-12-2005, 12:02 AM
cool :boadj:

Dustin Zahn
09-12-2005, 10:54 PM
Here's something I forgot to mention earlier. I think a lot of harder producers maybe kept hearing about the minimal trend so they just fooled around in the studio for shits and giggles or simply to try their hand at it. They probably realized over time that it's quite refreshing to work on some techno music that doesn't require them to just throw some synth stabs on top of drum loops, filter out the break and call it a day. So, I think a lot of them are currently enjoying producing something a little bit different...cause a lot of those guys have done nothing but hard and dark drummy shit for the past 5-7 years straight.

Now, there's also another thing to be said for that...maybe it's their fault for following their own forumlas for too long or not experimenting years ago. Right now, I think people are just up for experimenting more rather than just putting out loopy shit for the sake of it. Sales are in the dumps so badly right now that producers can afford to take chances without taking too much more of a loss, and the funny thing is a lot of them are experiencing an increase in the number of sales.

dirty_bass
09-12-2005, 11:56 PM
The problem is that techno became and still is slightly, over comparmentalised. With producers only making one sound and only listening to one sound.
And as I have commented many times on this forum, inbreeding makes no contribution to evolution.
Going minimal is just another trend and it really is no more superior than any other type of techno.
I`d like to see artists branching out rather than releasing the same record again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

The Divide
10-12-2005, 01:15 AM
As far as I’m concerned no ones going minimal, its more the minimal scene has just grown, good on it I say. I wouldn’t say it’s a trend neither, I mean surely people who listen to it are more than fashion slaves. I think people ought to get over the fact that people are genuinely interested in something they don’t understand or like.

I can relate to it, to an extent as my interest in a lot of techno has started to fizzle. I mean there’s stuff out there that I love but its rare, very rare. People started layering loops instead of building new rhythms and focusing on clever changes, etc. I have started to find it lazy. Its all a matter of opinion, but in mind its as simple as that. All this minimal stuff has the rhythms, clever changes but has no attitude and that’s why I am not interested in it.

Me personally, I’m finding grime or dubstep much more straight up, innovative and exciting. I don’t have a problem with this as for me its sounding more techno than most techno does as it has a little more than a lazily produced half baked loop. Dont agree? So sue me :lol:

evanrees
10-12-2005, 01:23 AM
I do love a lot of the new minimal stuff (specially a couple of Hawtrin sets posted here recently and that Alex Under set) but at the end of the day it's just another sub genre that is going through a phase right now. The sets i prefer to hear really go through the works not just sticking to one small part of whats out there. Why limit yourself to one small sub genre.

The Divide
10-12-2005, 01:37 AM
For those of you who dont know what im talking about check...

Rephlex (http://www.thedivide.co.uk/audio/Rephlex.mp3)

and try to blank out the mc :lol:

The Divide
10-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Mark can you do something about the hyperlink font on here, that was a link i posted above..

http://www.thedivide.co.uk/audio/Rephlex.mp3

cheers

MARKEG
10-12-2005, 06:18 AM
nps yeah will do that mate this week. am working on a slightly better colour scheme so that's now on the list!

sash
10-12-2005, 06:24 AM
i'm lovin watchin techno evolve :)

djshiva
10-12-2005, 05:11 PM
i just think it's always boring when a dj only plays one style throught an entire set. i love some of the more minimal tunes, but many of the djs lpaying it just keep it all linear...one speed...no cuts, no nothing...just end to end mixes of the samey sounding bleep bloop all night.

i love to hear people mix it up. start out with some minimal then go funky then go drummy then go banging then go weird then mellow out again. that keeps my interest better than more than an hour of anything that sounds exactly like the last hour.

my three cents...

miss bass
10-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Me personally, I’m finding grime or dubstep much more straight up, innovative and exciting. I don’t have a problem with this as for me its sounding more techno than most techno does as it has a little more than a lazily produced half baked loop. Dont agree? So sue me :lol:

heavy heavy heavy ;) thats what im talking bout bruv...da gal dem shake dat batty high n shake da batty low

hehe hotness

miss bass
10-12-2005, 07:47 PM
u made me wana go to a grime rave now so bad

The Divide
10-12-2005, 07:47 PM

heavy heavy heavy ;) thats what im talking bout bruv...da gal dem shake dat batty high n shake da batty low

hehe hotness

Stop , wait, raise your fist, raise your fist. Tasha, shes ruff like dat shes a masha, she mash you up rude bowwwwwyyyy

teknorich
10-12-2005, 11:59 PM
I´d heard the term grime before and not known what it was, so thanks for the link. Thing is, that just sounds like a Top Buzz mix from 1993. Just sounds like old skool breakbeat hardcore. Hey, I like it, but it´s not new!!! Break beats, dark b-lines, stab sounds, bad bwoy mc. This is just Moondance all over again!!

;)

xfive
11-12-2005, 12:40 AM
Yeah I mean, I like grime.. but it's really nothing new.

dirty_bass
11-12-2005, 12:41 AM
Try some of the dixxy rascal stuff and the london grime thing. It`s more glitchy, computery, and seriously ****ed up.

The Divide
11-12-2005, 11:56 AM
I´d heard the term grime before and not known what it was, so thanks for the link. Thing is, that just sounds like a Top Buzz mix from 1993. Just sounds like old skool breakbeat hardcore. Hey, I like it, but it´s not new!!! Break beats, dark b-lines, stab sounds, bad bwoy mc. This is just Moondance all over again!!

;)

Actually those links were to tracks they were playing which were more like you say breakbeat/hardcorish. Can have a couple of full mixes here

http://spannered.org/mixes/vexd/vexd_nov11_2005.mp3

http://www.thedivide.co.uk/audio/SET1-REPHLEX_RECS_GRIME_LAUNCH_AT_THE_END.mp3

miss bass
11-12-2005, 02:00 PM
db, il have to check that...

The Divide, we need to get grimey!!!!

miss bass
11-12-2005, 02:03 PM
That Vexd link is seriously bassey, OH YEH

crime
16-12-2005, 02:47 AM
http://www.crime-productions.com/~mark/music/Hawkins_weinNachts_Im_berlin.zip

FIK
16-12-2005, 10:26 AM
I don't mind minimal, there's a lot of good stuff out there, I just hate the hype created around it. I've seen guys switching from techno to schranz to electro and minimal. What will be next: gabber ?

SlavikSvensk
16-12-2005, 04:53 PM
oh my god i just went minimal! :smoke:

eyeswithoutaface
16-12-2005, 05:36 PM
i went minimal last wednesday, but by the friday id actually discovered liquid dnb, and by saturday id actually gone liquid dnb

Patrick
16-12-2005, 06:03 PM

Got a tracklist for that Mark ?
Some nice tracks in there.

audioinjection
16-12-2005, 06:48 PM
i'd like to go minimal........but i think being fat defeats the purpose of minimalizm :lol:

davethedrummer
16-12-2005, 07:47 PM

because the 808 just sounds great on its own !
although this experiment was carried out succesfully in the mid 80's

DJ Becka
16-12-2005, 08:33 PM

because the 808 just sounds great on its own !
although this experiment was carried out succesfully in the mid 80's

Hey Dave.....I absolutely LOVE that remix you did for Eric Sneo.....nothing minimal about that tune at all :lol:

crime
17-12-2005, 01:16 PM

Got a tracklist for that Mark ?
Some nice tracks in there.

here's most of it, maybe fill in the gaps anyone? anyway:

01.Lawrence - Cab Driver - Novamute
02.Hertz 4
03.Studio 1 - Silber - Studio 1
04.Mike Shannon - Blind Love - Spectral Sound
05.False - beginners luck? - Plus 8
06.???
07.Lawrence - The night will last forever (John Tejada remix) - Novamute
08.False - River Camping - Minus
09.Maurizio - M4.5 - Maurizio
10.Richie Hawtin - Statikphunk
11.Cristian Vogel - Room with a view - NIT
12.Plastikman - Hypokondriak - Minus
13.Audion - ?? - Spectral Sound
14.Audion - The Pong - Spectral Sound
15.Audion - New J - Spectral Sound
16.Thomas Bangalter - Roule Boule - Roule
17.???
18.Audion - Just ****ing - Spectral Sound
19.Joey Beltram - Instant (Paul Johnson remix) - Tresor
20.Paul Johnson - U remind me of some sex - Dance Mania
21.DWA - DWA - Recognition
22.Mark Hawkins - Rubber Bass - Feinwerk
23.Dave Tarrida - Terminally Yours - Tresor
24.Digital Primate - I Wanna See Ya Shake Yo'Ass - Pro-Jex
25.Chicago Bad Boys - Groove Theory - Djax Up Beats

gunjack
03-01-2006, 05:51 PM
well mexico city is like little berlin nowadays in the fact that everywhere you go it is flimsy minimal all night long. it is funny the way folks go either chinsy, flimsy minimal or near speedcor schranz with not much in between what a letdown nowadays i am enjoying making funk and pop music now f uck em....

Ritzi Lee
03-01-2006, 06:01 PM
guys... we are not going minimal arn't we?!?

last time i saw an article where they explained:
"minimal was the answer against the harder techno".

tocsin
03-01-2006, 06:37 PM

I'm still not sure I understand this statement as of page 6 anymore than I did when it was page 1. Someone really needs to explain how this is the new thing? I still don't hear minimal when I go out. If it's the new black for some scene, well, that scene is likely in it's death throes.

Ritzi Lee
03-01-2006, 06:59 PM

I'm still not sure I understand this statement as of page 6 anymore than I did when it was page 1. Someone really needs to explain how this is the new thing? I still don't hear minimal when I go out. If it's the new black for some scene, well, that scene is likely in it's death throes.

where are you going out?
just check out the avarage party in Holland or Germany.

tocsin
03-01-2006, 07:06 PM
NYC. I've seen no change. Holland still seems pretty dominated by trance and hardstyle with your big gabber party here and there. Haven't seen minimal really influencing that yet. As for Germany, dunno. "The Berlin Sound" walways sounded minimal to me.

Ritzi Lee
04-01-2006, 06:01 AM
NYC. I've seen no change. Holland still seems pretty dominated by trance and hardstyle with your big gabber party here and there. Haven't seen minimal really influencing that yet. As for Germany, dunno. "The Berlin Sound" walways sounded minimal to me.

gabber parties are already outdated for 10 years... trance is also something that's not a rage anymore for years.... hardstyle is still going strong.... minimal is the hype now.

really you should come around to europe to check it all out for yourself. there was a lot of changes going on for the last 2 years.

Akkachar
04-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Minimal is gay...

Saw and heard some live work of Reich @ Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, in March he will be playing the piano and violin, quite exciting...

Btw listen to Ritzi he is the goeroe in the Dutch dancescene...

TechMouse
04-01-2006, 12:48 PM
Agree whole heartedly.

The recent Vex'd album had more Techno oomph than 90% of the stuff I've listened to at the record shop lately.

Akkachar
04-01-2006, 12:50 PM

Holland is dominated by stupid people...

Miromiric
04-01-2006, 02:29 PM
Minimal is gay...

Saw and heard some live work of Reich @ Concertgebouw in Amsterdam, in March he will be playing the piano and violin, quite exciting...

:eyes:

Miromiric
04-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Minimal is gay...

:eyes:

which reich`s piece was performed? i saw drumming few months ago and was blown away. its quite spectacular to experience it physically.

Akkachar
04-01-2006, 02:43 PM
They were also performing Drumming it was a 2 hour pianoviolence performance, without him though...

It was sweet...

DJ Becka
04-01-2006, 02:56 PM
NYC. I've seen no change.

Where the hell have you been? Ever hear of the Robots parties at Cafe Deville or Canal Room? What about Wolf & Lamb in BK? NYC is overun with minimal hipsters.....WAKE UP!!!!

Miromiric
04-01-2006, 04:49 PM
They were also performing Drumming it was a 2 hour pianoviolence performance, without him though...

It was sweet...

and what was he doing in the other show? nodding his head in agreeing?

tocsin
04-01-2006, 04:56 PM
Where the hell have you been? Ever hear of the Robots parties at Cafe Deville or Canal Room? What about Wolf & Lamb in BK? NYC is overun with minimal hipsters.....WAKE UP!!!!

It's always been like that, Becka. Maybe my ears were just open longer. In fact, it's a good reason why don't see me wasting my time with events for such a crowd over, oh, the past 8-9 years. So, as I said, no change.

Ritzi, the last time I was in the Netherlands was about 2 years ago. Masters of Hardcore still seemed to be packing out arenas. Q-Dance had the largest and most populated stage at Mysteryland. Trance was the shit I heard bumping on the radio/television. So, hell, maybe minimal has gotten some more attention. But, I'm just having a hard time swallowing that the successful ID&T norms have taken a backseat to it in sales/popularity there recently.

SlavikSvensk
04-01-2006, 06:34 PM

It was sweet...

i saw "the cave" live once. not his best, but still very exciting to be there...

mindbender
04-01-2006, 06:55 PM
after reading this topic and all of the replies.....

wow.

nice points Zahn.

I've been enjoying the current evolution of Techno productions, I am going with it right now, making sure to avoid alot of the other crap out there.
I agree with what was said with "just for shits and giggles" statement, I think it opens up an opportunity to be more creative.

Ritzi Lee
04-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Ritzi, the last time I was in the Netherlands was about 2 years ago.

Yeah I had a hunch abou that.

Masters of Hardcore still seemed to be packing out arenas. Q-Dance had the largest and most populated stage at Mysteryland.

MOH, Qlubtempo, Qlimax and all those Q-Dance productions all have the same crowd, meaning people who are fans of Q-Dance. It's not really about the music played over there. Q-Dance always attracts a kind of public... The kind that Akkachar really discusts. :eyes:

My personal meaning. The real Gabber scene is allready gone for years. There are no real gabber clubs anymore like the legendary Rotterdam club "Parkzicht". OK 2 years ago ID&T did a Thunderdome reunion party in Amsterdam in October. The place was packed... The funny thing was they did an oldschool hardcore stage and the so called modern hardcore stage. There was a total difference, and also a lot of difference in crowds. You could really see the changes for the past 15 years.

I would say that scene is too focked up to really call it a scene.. It's more hooligans and skinheads now, then people who just want to go to a party to have fun.

Trance was the shit I heard bumping on the radio/television.

The last Amsterdam Dance event this year in october Trance was in minority. I've met a guy from New York who was looking for interesting Dutch Trance artists. He didn't succeed because there where non. OK there was Paul van Dijk and people like Katana. But he already know these people for years, and already boked them because he doesn't know any better... Also Duncan from ID&T made a statement that the big trance DJ's are way over there head now considering themselves as popstars, refusing to play with other more little acts, and only want to play parties for 15000 people and more. . So I wouldn't want to call that a scene anymore. That is also the main reason there are no real trance club nights anymore, because it's all too expensive now.

So, hell, maybe minimal has gotten some more attention. But, I'm just having a hard time swallowing that the successful ID&T norms have taken a backseat to it in sales/popularity there recently.

It's radical times mate. Who knows what will happen next.

tocsin
04-01-2006, 09:42 PM
MOH, Qlubtempo, Qlimax and all those Q-Dance productions all have the same crowd, meaning people who are fans of
Q-Dance. It's not really about the music played over there. Q-Dance always attracts a kind of public... The kind
that Akkachar really discusts. eyes

Fine. But, are they still moving more units and heads than "minimal?"

My personal meaning. The real Gabber scene is allready gone for years. There are no real gabber clubs anymore like
the legendary Rotterdam club "Parkzicht". OK 2 years ago ID&T did a Thunderdome reunion party in Amsterdam in
October. The place was packed... The funny thing was they did an oldschool hardcore stage and the so called modern
hardcore stage. There was a total difference, and also a lot of difference in crowds. You could really see the
changes for the past 15 years.
I would say that scene is too focked up to really call it a scene.. It's more hooligans and skinheads now, then
people who just want to go to a party to have fun.

Same question as above. I don't want to get into semantics over what people might consider "gabber" so we can just call it "hardcore" instead. Third Movement, Enzyme and Genosha have had no problems quickly running through their presses. Plus, I know the TOA guys play some fairly large "hardcore" parties in the Netherlands still. Minimal techno is selling more units and bringing in greater turnouts?

Seriously, I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around that one. Not saying it isn't true. But, I want to make sure were using the same measurement.

Sunil
04-01-2006, 10:51 PM
"just for shits and giggles"

Can someone explain exactly what this term means please?! The only time I've ever seen or heard it has been in the last week from Dustin :) Does it mean a bit of fun or something?

SlavikSvensk
04-01-2006, 10:56 PM
"just for shits and giggles"

Can someone explain exactly what this term means please?! The only time I've ever seen or heard it has been in the last week from Dustin :) Does it mean a bit of fun or something?

you don't say that? "for shits and giggles" means "just for the hell of it." just for fun or just because you feel like it...like if massplanck did a live PA then overdubbed shred guitar to have a laugh...

Sunil
04-01-2006, 11:08 PM
you don't say that? "for shits and giggles" means "just for the hell of it." just for fun or just because you feel like it...like if massplanck did a live PA then overdubbed shred guitar to have a laugh...

Thanks ;)

Nah, we might say "for the craic" or "for the laugh" or something like that :cool:

mindbender
07-01-2006, 05:37 AM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==